What's new

PC Case Growers Club

Stealthy999

Has anyone here grown in micro hempy buckets in a PC. Can find a couple of grow threads, but can't find a place where people talk about pros and cons?? Will the plants get root bound if using a 12/12 perpetual SOG from seed?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Yes in the small containers they get root bound pretty quick, it helps keep the plants small. That's the reason I feed every time, there isn't much soil left by the time they are in flower.

Stealthy999

So not a good idead- after variety and not yeild anyway.

Thanks to this forum and the help I received so far I believe I am completely prepared for my grow apart from soil and nutes which I will research closer to the time.

ReikoX - I still can't give out rep

Stealthy999

Thanks for the link - I have decided to do a standard soil grow (although I will probably end up chucking a micro hempy bucket into out of curiosity).

I didn't intend on posting again before I read my bookmarked threads but I'm have trouble sourcing a reasonable case and don't want to miss a deal.
Is 17*17*7.5 inches workable dimensions for a PC case?? Thanks in adavance

Stealthy999,

17.5 x 17.5 x7.5 in is not a lot of space but if you organize everything wise it would be enough for a one nice plant in a pot up to 0.6-0.8 gallon. You’ll need to find or make a low but long and wide pot. It shouldn’t be higher than 4.5 in. Maybe 2 smaller plants in separate pots. You'll definitely have to use an LST or SCROG methods heavily. The larger the pot is - the more green mass the plant will have and yield better.

I grow in a 0.4gal pot and will move to a 0.55 gal pot the next grow. The outside dimensions of my pc grow box are 17x17x7.87 inches. I wish it was 2-3 inches higher.
1 oz of dry yield is achievable in a 0.4gal of soil if you manage the grow carefully.

If you find a pc case that is 8 or 9 in wide it would be perfect but those are very rare.

Stealthy999

I thought that was an issue. I was having trouble sourcing a reasonable case- to the point where it would have been more economical to mod a speaker or an amp.

However shortly after posting I received a some good news. I now have a case the internally measures 18H * 20.5*D*8W inches. Needs a little more prep to get it ready for diffusion foil and light proofing. But after that the build should be quite straight forward.

Stealthy999

PC fans - I originally planned on copying tried and tested builds. The tried and tested fan was 120mm 107cfm and 5.80 static pressure.
However my case will only accept a 92mm fan, I have found a few that exceed the cfm and static pressure rating. Are these OK to use?? I'm assuming they are as the pull the same CFM etc.

Stealthy999,

how are you going to use those pc fans for air scrubbing? Pushing into the filter or pulling?

If making an air scrubber with an axial pc fan - I'd go for a pushing design. Probably with two sequential fans with a flow straightener between them or just some free space. And make the filter itself of a larger surface not thicker layer.
What about a blower type fans? They have a much better pressure rating.

100+cfm and 5+ mm h2o it's a lot for a pc fan - so, it should be loud.
If I'm correct you have asked somewhere about the noise level. I go strict about the noise and I'd say 25dB is a lot. During the day it is possible to cover such a noise source, but in the evening/night it would be a major noise producer. 35dB is too noisy even during the day in a city apartment, drawing attention immediately, imo.

Hope that helps.

P.S. A decent pc case you've got there! Not very high but wide and long. Thumbs up.

Last edited:

Stealthy999

Thanks for the advice.

I planned on copying this filter -https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=247695
So it would be a pull design. Ah yes noise levels- the fans only being 92mm obviously have to run at a higher RPM which results in a high DBa level. I thought it would be loudish but as it will be in the utility room and I'm on the third floor I assumed I would be the only person to hear it

What exactly do you mean by blower type fans? Holding off on ordering at the moment

Stealthy999,

I like much the design you've checked out - it seems to be very well thought out and it has been tested.
If I were you I'd follow that path instead of doing experiments.
Here I'll copy the scetch of the filter mentioned.
picture.php

A blower fan is a radial one - just like in the notebooks. They have a better pressure ratings than the axial fans we're talking about.

Stealthy999

Thanks for the info yet again!!

I have done some more research in between the posts. And need to ask some question, please don't flame me. I've read ventilation 101, PC fans for begginers and Understanding airflow.

I liked the ideas or radial / blower fans but think I would have issues mounting it ( As PCI slits would be too low) and would find mounting a scrubber to it even more difficult.

Now onto my question. Based on the following information what is a good CFM and static pressure rating to look for?? (I have looked at other fans people have used for exhausts and they all seem to be rated around 100cfm, lowest pressure rating I could find was 5.8)
Let's say I'm using an 80w light for my grow - following the formulas in ventilation 101 I am looking at around 26cfm axial fan with no scrubber and two intakes.
Or in looking at a 26cfm blower or inline fan using a scrubber with two intakes.

SO
Any ideas as to the formula using a scrubber with an axial fan and 1*Intake?

Also ventilation 101 states the intake needs to be eqaul of greater than the exhaust, I am planning on using a 80mm intake and a 92mm exhaust. This contradicts ventilation101 but other PC builds seem to be using the same system ??

Sorry for the long post but wanted to show that I actually do research before posting lol!

Again thanks for the help and I owe rep points once I can give them out.

you cant use a fixed formula, sorry it doesnt work like that
paper specs are useles to use in reality, its only good to compare fans

get a fansize you need/fit and get the best fan in that size

Stealth999, you’re welcome ;)

See, when it comes to a micro – there is no 100% working guide you can just follow and succeed.

I’m a convinced follower of a passive intake idea. It is said that a passive intake square has to be twice as large as your exhaust. Idkn how it comes with fans of different cfm rating, but the general rule is – the more air the fan moves the larger intake should be.

In your place I’d use a higher mentioned filter design with two fans one after another, or if possible one on each side of the filter (one pushing, another pulling).

80w CFL isn’t too much to cool. A nice thing about CFLis that it has a large surface and low temperature comparing to a HID lights. Leterarly, the CFl is not heating the box much, but effectively heats air. Thus, if you put your exhaust system in the top of the box – you’ll have the hot air exhausted and the cool air flowing into through the passive intake(s). Make sure you put the air circulating fan in the way it won’t blow into the lights – that would increase the internal temperature a lot.

Here are a lot of experienced people growing in PC’s – what would other say?

Hah, while I’ve been writing in my odd English, HuffnPufferfish have that idea stated ))

Stealthy999

Darn, I figured that was going to be the answer.
Anyhow there is a sale on at a national IT outlet, I have just order two fan controllers and two 92mm 3800RPM 70CFM fans- unfortunately I cannot find a static pressure rating anywhere, but can't go wrong for a buck each!

If these two fans are not powerful enough to run a scrubber. I plan to
A. Use two in succession / or one each end for a push pull design
B. Get 92mm fans with the recommended CFM / H2O ratings and see what the noise is like and if it can be dampened enough to still be effective using a controller
C. Get 120mm fans with correct CFM, H2O and DBA rating an use a 120mm to 92mm converter to fit to the case.

Again thank for the help, I ordered the fans on a whim as they were cheap. If they don't work out at least I have a circulation fan!

Stealthy999

OK after some time sucking knowledge out of this forum, I think I'm in a position to give back.

To power PC fans you can get a socket outlet to molex adapter. You can also combine this with a fan expansion board and power up to 6 PC fans.
I am unsure if you can regulate the speeds using controllers as all power is received through molex and some of the boards come with jumpers to set the fans to 12v or 5v.

Thought this may help people who like me would rather not go along splicing fans to adapters or hot wiring PSU. :)

hempgrowingnewb

Damn it is hard to find suitable computer case. Everything is either too small, too expensive or discontinued and not sold anywhere.

I found one retailer for Chieftec Big tower for 50€ which is a bargain, but their delivery time is around 70 days if they can even deliver it. Second best option is Fractal Design XL, but that is 150€($170)!

I backordered Big Tower, but I might want to start building my setup earlier.

My idea is to run 100% stealth setup with carbon filter inside, 100-160w DIY LEDs etc. so I want big case.

Any recommendations from fairly modern cases?

420Grow

Hi Guys,

To anyone looking at getting a pc case, before going out and buying a new case, approach an I.T company thats near your area and ask them if the have any old used pc's that they willing to throw away. I'm sure they will either give them away or charge you very little for them.

I work in the IT industry so i know just how many old PC case's an IT company will hold, and would definitely not mind getting rid of a few.