What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

i'd like to change to organics,but first i wanna start simple.what do you think about this :
the cheapest dirt i can find
worm castings
perlite
plagron alga grow 2-3-4 NPK organic liquid fert
for flowering plagron alga bloom 1.5-13-14 NPK organic liquid fert

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cabinet boy said:
i'd like to change to organics,but first i wanna start simple.what do you think about this :
the cheapest dirt i can find
worm castings
perlite
plagron alga grow 2-3-4 NPK organic liquid fert
for flowering plagron alga bloom 1.5-13-14 NPK organic liquid fert
You can do whatever you want to. It's your grow.
If it were me though, I'd use a recipe that has already been tested and proven to work.
Good luck.
Burn1

Yes i know that,but in my area there are many ingredients completely missing or very hard to come by.Could you point out whats wrong?I always welcome constructive criticizm.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK. Instead of the "cheapest dirt you can find", why not look for Canadian Peat? It's very cheap.
You'll need powdered dolomite lime to correct the pH of the mix as well as provide calcium and magnesium.
With that and the other items you listed, you can make a batch of LC's Mix.
Use your Plagron nutes as directed on its label.
Burn1

DurbanStone

alright, I have hydrated lime and can't get dolomite, how much should I use if any at all? I'm using sphagnum moss, perlite, vermiculite and worm castings for seedlings. Last time it burnt my plants randomly, I think because I used toomuch moss and it's really acidic.

lilo

Dunno if it is available in your area but I buy already limed peat. It'a still a bit on the acidic side but works good and n't require much sitting before use.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DurbanStone said:
alright, I have hydrated lime and can't get dolomite, how much should I use if any at all? I'm using sphagnum moss, perlite, vermiculite and worm castings for seedlings. Last time it burnt my plants randomly, I think because I used toomuch moss and it's really acidic.
You MUST follow the recipe!
Your question is like...
"I'm baking a cake but I don't have sugar. Can I use salt instead?"
Burn1

DurbanStone

I understand, basically I didn't want to admit to myself I purchased the wrong lime :(

I'm currently testing it's ability on my lawn however. We have very acidic soil and so far it's not looking bad!

jrw

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a typical 14-0-0 blood meal.

Then I found a bone meal specified as beeing 7-9-0.

Is that usable along with the bloodmeal in Recipe#1?

There's a lot of N in it, isn't there?

jrw

BurnOne said:
That's it. Follow the recipe.
Burn1
Yeah, but if I had found some 0-14-0 bonemeal (as some brands are specified) instead and added that, the "recipe" is suddenly quite different... Or am I mistaken?

n0dn4rb

Thanks BurnOne for posting the info...

Pretty straight forward and easy to follow...K+ to you my friend

-happy growing

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
jrw said:
Yeah, but if I had found some 0-14-0 bonemeal (as some brands are specified) instead and added that, the "recipe" is suddenly quite different... Or am I mistaken?
In this type of recipe, the plant takes up whatever it needs from the soil.
That does seem like a lot of nitrogen from bone meal. What does the package label say about the ingredients?
Burn1

jrw

BurnOne said:
In this type of recipe, the plant takes up whatever it needs from the soil.
So even for sensitive sativas i could go full strength?

BurnOne said:
That does seem like a lot of nitrogen from bone meal. What does the package label say about the ingredients?
Burn1
It doesn't say what's in it, other than it's bone meal specified as beeing 7-9-0 and that it's government approved for organic farming. I have found a lot of other scandinavian brands with the same ratio (7-9-0). Should I cut down on the amount of blood meal then?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
jrw-
Probably not. The bone meal should be a slow release nute. What color is it? If it looks brown, red or black, it probably has blood in with it. That would explain the nitrogen. Can you get the high P bone meal? If so, I would use that. Better safe than sorry.
Burn1

Latest posts

Latest posts