What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Microorganisms for soil - recommend me a good product

Asentrouw

Check out : Recharge, photosynthesis plus, em-1

simplest way is to add worm castings or worm tea
I guess these worm castings have to be fresh?

Most sold here are a dried form, with the worms filtered out.

And what would be the best way to make a worm tea? I do have a wormbin, but it's currently not full/finished yet. Just put some fresh wormcompost in with a bubbler for a few days?

I prefer a cheap natural way to introduce soil life over too expensive baggies and bottles with microlife...

GF-Z

I was searching for same thing and found good recipe, unfortunately getting mollases is a bit of a problem in my country, but still:

EWC+mollases tea (only with BIO grows)
(probably adding some mycorrhizae culture to it would be overkill)

Equipment Needed:

• 5 gallon bucket (larger if doubling/tripling/etc the tea; smaller if making less quantity)
  • 4 gallons water (ideally use rain or well water because it has no chlorine; otherwise use city water but let it sit out for 24 hours before proceeding – chlorine is very volatile and will evaporate out on its own)
  • 5 to 6 cups worm castings
  • 3 tablespoons molasses (encourages the growth of healthy microorganisms)
  • Porous material for a compost tea bag (cheese cloth, dish towel, old t-shirt, etc). Optional but will prevent your watering can or spray bottle from clogging when it’s time to use the tea. Alternatively you can pour the finished tea through a fine mesh strainer into your watering can.

Process:

• Fill the bucket with water. Add the worm castings and the molasses. Stir to combine. (If you’re using a compost tea bag, place the worm castings in the cloth and tie to secure it shut. Place the bag in the water.)
  • Let the tea steep overnight. It will be a dark brown color. Give it another stir. Remove the compost bag if using (place the contents onto the soil or on your compost pile).
  • Pour some of the worm tea into your water can or spray bottle and dilute with water until it is a light brown color – the color of weak tea.
  • Use immediately for best results. The microbes will begin dying off quickly so the sooner you use the compost tea the better while it’s most potent.

Do You Need to Aerate Worm Tea?

Both sugar (molasses) and aeration boost the microbial activity resulting in an increased microbial population. Sugar alone will do that but adding some aeration will increase it further.

If you choose to aerate it you can use a fish tank bubbler to add oxygen while the tea is steeping. Insert the aerator all the way to the bottom of the bucket. Let it aerate for 48-72 hours, stirring occasionally.

xtsho

Snake oil products. Save your money.

I've seen people post pictures of healthy roots claiming it's from some product they're using but when I compare the photo's to roots of plants I grow without using any "Myco" products there is no difference and often the roots from my plants grown without adding any products were actually better.

I'm fortunate to have access to an expert on the subject of soil microbiology as my niece has a PhD in Environmental Sciences. Her dissertation was on agricultural manipulation on plant-microbiome interactions. She has co authored peer reviewed studies that are on Frontiers in Science and did studies at the Morrow Plots at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. She's considered an expert worldwide by others in her field of study.

I've discussed this with her and what she told me in detail is too long to summarize on a Saturday morning but the basic answer I got from her was that these products are a waste of money. There are scenarios where they can be of significant benefit but the home cannabis grower is not one of them.

People need to stop and think. People have been growing plants for centuries. Most are more difficult to grow than cannabis. Yet the only plant that has thousands of products marketed to growing it is cannabis. Why is that? Because of marketing due to the availability of people willing to believe.

Old Uncle Ben

I've seen people post pictures of healthy roots claiming it's from some product they're using but when I compare the photo's to roots of plants I grow without using any "Myco" products there is no difference and often the roots from my plants grown without adding any products were actually better.

I'm fortunate to have access to an expert on the subject of soil microbiology as my niece has a PhD in Environmental Sciences. Her dissertation was on agricultural manipulation on plant-microbiome interactions. She has co authored peer reviewed studies that are on Frontiers in Science and did studies at the Morrow Plots at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. She's considered an expert worldwide by others in her field of study.

I've discussed this with her and what she told me in detail is too long to summarize on a Saturday morning but the basic answer I got from her was that these products are a waste of money. There are scenarios where they can be of significant benefit but the home cannabis grower is not one of them.

People need to stop and think. People have been growing plants for centuries. Most are more difficult to grow than cannabis. Yet the only plant that has thousands of products marketed to growing it is cannabis. Why is that? Because of marketing due to the availability of people willing to believe.

Now there's some great myth busting. You and the good doctor would get a long fine. Check out her take on compost tea. https://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/

UB

KIS

I just linked university studies done with cannabis that showed statistically significant increases in root growth and other metrics my inoculation with mycorrhizal fungi. It’s hardly snake oil. There’s proven efficacy in a multitude of crops, including cannabis.

I happen to be friends and colleagues with many soil scientists as well. There are many things that could be labeled as marketing or snake oil but I don’t believe mycorrhizal fungi to be one of them. Again, there’s a huge body of research on google scholar if you want to dig deeper.

It seems like there’s some people in this forum with entrenched beliefs. I just hope folks will do their own research and not just accept blindly what some anonymous stranger on a forum says.

KIS

Now there's some great myth busting. You and the good doctor would get a long fine. Check out her take on compost tea. https://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/

UB
That’s an entirely different topic. As someone who knows her and have spoken at the same events, her “science” is terrible and has a definite agenda. I’ve dug into her studies on some topics and they’ve got terrible experimental design and statistical analysis. Yet she acts like they’re irrefutable evidence on a given topic and ignores any data that disproves her points.

KIS

I was searching for same thing and found good recipe, unfortunately getting mollases is a bit of a problem in my country, but still:

EWC+mollases tea (only with BIO grows)
(probably adding some mycorrhizae culture to it would be overkill)

Equipment Needed:

• 5 gallon bucket (larger if doubling/tripling/etc the tea; smaller if making less quantity)
  • 4 gallons water (ideally use rain or well water because it has no chlorine; otherwise use city water but let it sit out for 24 hours before proceeding – chlorine is very volatile and will evaporate out on its own)
  • 5 to 6 cups worm castings
  • 3 tablespoons molasses (encourages the growth of healthy microorganisms)
  • Porous material for a compost tea bag (cheese cloth, dish towel, old t-shirt, etc). Optional but will prevent your watering can or spray bottle from clogging when it’s time to use the tea. Alternatively you can pour the finished tea through a fine mesh strainer into your watering can.

Process:

• Fill the bucket with water. Add the worm castings and the molasses. Stir to combine. (If you’re using a compost tea bag, place the worm castings in the cloth and tie to secure it shut. Place the bag in the water.)
  • Let the tea steep overnight. It will be a dark brown color. Give it another stir. Remove the compost bag if using (place the contents onto the soil or on your compost pile).
  • Pour some of the worm tea into your water can or spray bottle and dilute with water until it is a light brown color – the color of weak tea.
  • Use immediately for best results. The microbes will begin dying off quickly so the sooner you use the compost tea the better while it’s most potent.

Do You Need to Aerate Worm Tea?

Both sugar (molasses) and aeration boost the microbial activity resulting in an increased microbial population. Sugar alone will do that but adding some aeration will increase it further.

If you choose to aerate it you can use a fish tank bubbler to add oxygen while the tea is steeping. Insert the aerator all the way to the bottom of the bucket. Let it aerate for 48-72 hours, stirring occasionally.
If you want a recipe or more information about compost teas, I’d suggest checking out www.microbeorganics.com. There’s a number of things wrong with this recipe and advice if you want to avoid anaerobic microbes.

KIS

Ok so what my coco product do you use that’s endo and has the species that have been found to help cannabis?
There’s a lot of options and depending on the source you’ll get a different strain even if it’s the same species. If you can get DynoMyco or Wallace WOW or Mykos in your area, those would be a good starting point for seeing how your plants respond in your environment. There’s so many abiotic factors involved in mycorrhizal infection, so different strains may do better in different environments such as higher pH, drought, etc…

Gooseman23

If you want a recipe or more information about compost teas, I’d suggest checking out www.microbeorganics.com. There’s a number of things wrong with this recipe and advice if you want to avoid anaerobic microbes.
See this is why I wanted to ask about Jadam which clearly says no need to avoid anaerobic microbes. Jadam microbial solution and fish fertilizer seem to have gave great bacteria and fungi for me. But I’d like to her someone’s take on this who has done this kinda research. I think you would be surprised with the findings if you tested vs the conventional knowledge out. I also listened to the partial episode you posted about myco.

Gooseman23

if you have anaerobic will smell like rotten egg, dead body.. and is harmful
Again I think you didn’t read the question. Has that is what conventional tells us, but have you heard of Jadam and actually tried it? The fertilizer are made using both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria with no attempt to only have one or the other and yet it works. Please research Jadam first so you can understand and then answer

Gooseman23

So essentially Jadam says why avoid anaerobic microbes? Bacteria in soil is often times anaerobic and also aerobic. The soil web is made up of both. And our goal should be to mimic nature so we should use both. It’s also saying we shouldn’t pick a couple micros and say they are best for the roots. In nature there are many different fungi and bacteria in the rhizospere. So instead of selecting a few we think are right we should use them all. Nature already has balance and he says that in truth scientist only know 1% or less about actual soil bacteria and fungi and all microbes so with that thought he is basically saying we are creating products to make best roots with only 1% of the info needed. And it’s better to just mimic nature. We don’t need to understand this balance because we know it’s there. So we should mimic.

Gooseman23

Jadam microbial solution is simply grabbing a handful of of leaf mold soil in your nearest forest some that you can see the fungi on. Put it in a bucket of water add a little bit of sea salt and some potato to feed the microbes. I have seen some people run a get after making the solution and they said it’s not much fungal life in it but mainly bacteria. But if you also use fish fertilizer you will have fungi too. I did test this on my garden using this and Jadam liquid fertilizer and to my surprise my plants grew just fine and looked great so there is definitely truth in it. I was just looking for people take on it who have done the conventional studying. This plant was is in regular organic potting soil mixed with some rabbit shit. And was only fed using jms, fish fertilizer and jlf all the way through.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    709 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Latest posts