What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
While the high from cobs is good, I do prefer the high from homemade dry sifted resin. Nothing zings my forehead like that first big lungful of pure dry sift in the morning. I haven't bought hash in 20 years and from what I've seen around here, I won't be buying any for another 20. lol...
Man, hash making is another lost art. I've tried shatter, wax, dab, or whatever else they call what they make these days. My finger hash from trimming bud, harvesting seeds, or ice (bubble) hash is far superior to the crap sold. I've tried the new fangled stuff a few times, and my lungs and throat burn immediately or later in the day, every time. Nasty stuff! Don't people understand the difference from coughing from good hashy expansiveness and from toxic chemicals? Even the C02 extracted resin is really horrible.

For me, the best quality bud is the finest high. Good hash is just a different thing, but a nice change of pace. Keif or screened hash is good too. I just don't know why the top quality bud is better. I never get the same cerebral psychedelic experience that comes with the best of the top grade bud. Buds have a magic that you just can't concentrate.

ThaiBliss

Tangwena

Veteran
Man, hash making is another lost art. I've tried shatter, wax, dab, or whatever else they call what they make these days. My finger hash from trimming bud, harvesting seeds, or ice (bubble) hash is far superior to the crap sold. I've tried the new fangled stuff a few times, and my lungs and throat burn immediately or later in the day, every time. Nasty stuff! Don't people understand the difference from coughing from good hashy expansiveness and from toxic chemicals? Even the C02 extracted resin is really horrible.

For me, the best quality bud is the finest high. Good hash is just a different thing, but a nice change of pace. Keif or screened hash is good too. I just don't know why the top quality bud is better. I never get the same cerebral psychedelic experience that comes with the best of the top grade bud. Buds have a magic that you just can't concentrate.

ThaiBliss
Thats because you have experienced some of the finest herb my friend. For those who haven't its like a game of blind mans bluff.

I personally think the worst thing that ever happened was mixing types of herbs OK some are ok but the magic is gone from the original.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I've seen the test results and THC and CBD increases after cobbing. It's probably due to a chemical reaction during fermentation.

The THC won't increase once the plant is cut, much like you can't increase the amount of gold in a ton of ore, but you can concentrate it, which is probably why cobs score higher than bud on THC tests as it's denser. But it might also be partly due to that there is less loss of THC with the cob making process compared to air drying branches for weeks?

Or maybe the cobbing process makes more of the THC "available? I wonder if the total amount of cannabinoids tested on the cob and bud are similar, but the cob tests higher for THC?

I guess smarter people than me can work that out!

Happy Cobbing!

CBGA can move further towards thca instead of cbca during fermentation. But like you said, we need a chemist in here. Lol

picture.php

H

HaHaHashish

Buds have a magic that you just can't concentrate.

Thats because you have experienced some of the finest herb my friend

true, when you smoke bud, you are smoking the whole plant, but smoke dry sift from the same (hopefully the finest sativa buds) and you will soar to a way higher plane while inhaling the 90% less plant matter, and like with cobs, the resin heads are intact when smoked (unlike other forms of hash making). But of course, it's best if the dry sifted resin comes from well grown plants that have been handled with care then dried and stored in ideal conditions then made into dry sift with care and focus on purity, not quantity. I suggest using a gentle technique on small amounts at a time with multiple screens in a low temp/low RH room...but hey, that's another subject for another thread.

Last edited:
H

HaHaHashish

Tangwena - I checked out some other sites about cob making, and on 420 many there seem to be putting their cobs under higher temperatures (up to 60C) for a longer time (48 hours or more)

I might try two days on 40C next time!

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena - I checked out some other sites about cob making, and on 420 many there seem to be putting their cobs under higher temperatures (up to 60C) for a longer time (48 hours or more)

I might try two days on 40C next time!
Thats the only way to find out my friend its nice of you to offer yourself as guinea pig.
Selfless thats what you are my friend take one for the team and all that stuff hey.
Wow today was a good dose I def feel like I took one ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran

Buds have a magic that you just can't concentrate.

Thats because you have experienced some of the finest herb my friend

true, when you smoke the very best bud, you are smoking the whole plant, but smoke dry sift from the finest sativa buds and you will soar to a way higher plane while inhaling the 90% less plant matter and like with dry sift the resin heads are intact when smoked (unlike other forms of hash making). But of course, it's best if the dry sifted resin comes from well grown plants that have been handled with care then dried and stored in ideal conditions then made into dry sift with care and focus on purity, not quantity. I suggest using a gentle technique on small amounts at a time with multiple screens in a low temp/low RH room...but hey, that's another subject for another thread.
Wow you had me going with your description I'm sold ha ha.

I guess I just like getting high ha ha nothing wrong with a nice piece of hash, but I've yet to find one I like.

I'm talking about the old school stuff not the new hybrid stuff.
It was always just a pleasant distraction from the search for some good bud.
Good grass really gets you going at least the stuff I used to like did.
Its what you were originally brought up on that makes its mark and thats what you search for after that.
We are all so lucky these days no reason not to be satisfied nowadays theres something out there for everyone thanks to the internet.

H

HaHaHashish

ha ha nothing wrong with a nice piece of hash, but I've yet to find one I like.

99% of commercial hash (unless your tolerance is low) offers a crappy ~ ok, almost good buzz, the buzz you will get from smoking a few match head's worth of pure dry sift made from your own home grown will be fantastic and like cob making, it offers you a deep satisfaction from producing something special yourself, and that's a great feeling.

Smoking bud is only an introduction to the pleasure you can get from cannabis. You will receive a much higher overall satisfaction from going to the next level which is growing, making seeds, cloning, producing making your own hash and cobs that hit better than just about anything for sale....even now after 45 years of smoking ganja and 25 years of growing my own, I often sit back and smile to myself (as many of us who grow our own do) and say "Wow, I made that, I'm proud of it and it's fantastic!". Before I grew my own, I would smoke anything, now when offered a joint I have to ask 9 questions, have a real good look at it, sniff it and then only smoke it if it's grown by that person that rolled the joint who swears to me that he's let his own mother smoke it. I'd much rather smoke my own and it's not because my bud, cobs or dry sifted resin are the best as they definitely aren't, I just like mine better as I bred it, grew it under the sun, nurtured it without poisons and then processed it how I like it...it's also that most bud for sale around here is indoor grown modern hybrids that have a hard hitting smack that lowers my IQ then fades to nothing after 30 minutes, I'd much rather smoke a super skinny jay of cob in a regular sized rolling paper with a long cardboard filter that will keep me buzzing for several hours at least.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Well said my friend and so true we are all so lucky these days quality product done to our own taste it doesn't get any better does it.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
...now when offered a joint I have to ask 9 questions, have a real good look at it, sniff it and then only smoke it if it's grown by that person that rolled the joint who swears to me that he's let his own mother smoke it...
LMAO!

It's sad, but true. I only laugh because of the humorous way you describe it. I live in Oregon where it is quasi-legal. You can't throw a stone without hitting someone's plant. But it seems it's standard practice to spray buds with some concoction, fertilizer or pest killer, organic or not. People will cringe if it isn't dark green from being over fertilized and freshly harvested. Natural color expressions or well cured bud is looked down upon. To be fair, indica is probably best a few months after harvest, and sativas get better after a year, lacking a good fermentation cure, of course.

Unfortunately, I was not able to cob my harvest this year. My health failed me temporarily at the critical time. It was all I could do to keep my plants alive until I could harvest a fraction of what I grew. There is always hope for next year!

ThaiBliss

H

HaHaHashish

40C for two days
Thats the only way to find out my friend its nice of you to offer yourself as guinea pig.

The dense and tightly rolled cobs I make now end up as hard and heavy as light wood! Would a longer sweat end up making the end product too hard? Currently I have to shave off tiny bits at a time, then cut it up again for rolling into jays, it looks and feels more like hash than compressed bud (but of course, even hash with lots of plant matter is still heavier than cobs) and I wouldn't want it to be any harder or denser. I guess I would have to roll the cobs less denser for a longer sweat? Is that the way to go?

and speaking of jays....cobs are the slowest burning joint you will ever smoke, you will get twice (?) as many inhales as a standard bud jay, so a standard sized joint is too much for me, so now I roll really skinny joints with just an inch or less of cob and a card board filter taking up 75% of the joint and this gets me pleasantly blazed but still switched on and functional. But when smoking bud the effects leave me less functional and sometimes a little brain scrambled to reply to important messages.

H

HaHaHashish

and it's time for HaHa to be deleted, I'll be back with another user name soon, see you all soon, Happy Cob making!

Tangwena

Veteran
40C for two days

The dense and tightly rolled cobs I make now end up as hard and heavy as light wood! Would a longer sweat end up making the end product too hard? Currently I have to shave off tiny bits at a time, then cut it up again for rolling into jays, it looks and feels more like hash than compressed bud (but of course, even hash with lots of plant matter is still heavier than cobs) and I wouldn't want it to be any harder or denser. I guess I would have to roll the cobs less denser for a longer sweat? Is that the way to go?

and speaking of jays....cobs are the slowest burning joint you will ever smoke, you will get twice (?) as many inhales as a standard bud jay, so a standard sized joint is too much for me, so now I roll really skinny joints with just an inch or less of cob and a card board filter taking up 75% of the joint and this gets me pleasantly blazed but still switched on and functional. But when smoking bud the effects leave me less functional and sometimes a little brain scrambled to reply to important messages.
Try looser rolling then less time fermenting.

You can get everything from hard through to soft and loose that you can still pull individual buds off of.
The rest is the same sweating, curing, aging can all be varied.
Personally I prefer semi hard that can be carved with a knife and broken up using your thumb nail and loose sweated and cured cobs where the buds pull out easily and you can break them up with your fingers.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Drunken Buddha

Off to see my cannabis lab for a test or two: same branch from one plant cultivar yielding three different tests for terpenes:
- dried and cured bud
- dried and vacuum bagged canary bud
- cob

Hope to examine what terpenes are missing in the cob after the fermentation process and perhaps what concentration differences for the terpenes that are left. Results in 10 days or less.

S

Sertaiz

from the lambsbread page, and has anyone cobbed lambsbread?

thought this was interesting

"One step further is the practice of allowing the kid/lamb/goat (starved for a few days) to consume the ripened colas. The material goes through the digestive tract quickly and is defecated almost intact. It is then dried and smoked. It is reported that this product results in the most psychoactive of experiences...and is therefore reserved for consumption by revered elders, spiritual shamans and tribal dignitaries.

Sincerely,
Charles."

how about stuffing some lower intestine with buds like sausage?. seriously, dont even have to kill or skin the sheep.

Tangwena

Veteran
from the lambsbread page, and has anyone cobbed lambsbread?

thought this was interesting

"One step further is the practice of allowing the kid/lamb/goat (starved for a few days) to consume the ripened colas. The material goes through the digestive tract quickly and is defecated almost intact. It is then dried and smoked. It is reported that this product results in the most psychoactive of experiences...and is therefore reserved for consumption by revered elders, spiritual shamans and tribal dignitaries.

Sincerely,
Charles."

how about stuffing some lower intestine with buds like sausage?. seriously, dont even have to kill or skin the sheep.
Thats really out there never heard of that and cant say I would want to do it either.
Let us know how it goes it would lend a new meaning to the term good shit wouldn't it?

Tangwena

Veteran
Off to see my cannabis lab for a test or two: same branch from one plant cultivar yielding three different tests for terpenes:
- dried and cured bud
- cob

Hope to examine what terpenes are missing in the cob after the fermentation process and perhaps what concentration differences for the terpenes that are left. Results in 10 days or less.
Good luck brother you will of course have to back that up with your own effects taste of each although that will be less scientific you may need a second opinion (my hands up ha ha)

Big Nasty

- dried and cured bud
- cob

that's really interesting DB,can you tell us what kind of sweat and cure you used for that particular cob please?