What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

funkyhorse

weedebook, and funkyhorse with your natural methods experimentation, give us a summary again sometime of what your learning.---
and maybe try banana bark method in the vac seal bags.
Hi there Sneezy
Before answering you I just want to make clear I dont own a forum, I dont own a seedbank, I dont make a living out of storytelling, I dont spend money in expensive lab test I dont trust much because I know results can be manipulated according to the will of the tester. The lab has commercial interest and is dealing with a customer. In many cases the results reflect what the lab thinks is the answer the customer wants to hear

I am a nobody, just a nomad who is happening to have a few years living in the same place and discovering I love growing during this temporary sedentary time
I am not biased, I am looking for the best weed I can find today. I love certtain type of high that to my dismay is not available anymore today. I came back to the thread because I found something unexpected and I am always expecting the unexpected to happen

This growing thing is being a trip. You dont stop learning and dont stop finding things

So one of the objectives of this trip was to try and recreate the local landrace weed and this target has been achieved only to discover this is not what I want and like today. It was good at that time gone by but today standards are different. Landraces have changed and food has changed and not for the better

I started sweating like all of you are doing
Since I didnt have back then vacuum bags, I tried different methods with sweating and I had a lot of mold because vacuum wasnt good
The ones that came out ok were not stronger than the bud and these days I am vaping so I quit this method soon

The main aim of making brick was to replicate the local landrace brick
The bamboo cure gave me 100% equal results. I tried using fresh bud and dried bud. In bamboo cure both of them ferment it doesnt matter dry or wet.
This method gives you brick that needs grinder. Once made after 6 months you can simply put in the shelf or anywhere it doesnt change properties. In a humid environment this method is very appreciated. Local brick is like that, nobody is keeping the brick in any vacuum bag around here
I never seen crystals with this method. I have never seen crystalization of weed in my life on any weed on any method of cure
This method has been proven against mold. As long as you use good unaffected bud this gives moldless brick

Banana bark cure I think needs a press with a few ton force in order to compact the bud better. I did it just bare hands. So you can brake the brick easy and you can roll a spliff with bare hands. I did many bricks this way. None came with mold. I am not obsessed opening and closing the brick. I just made it once, and from that day until I opened it 6 months later or more, I didnt touch it. Same thing with the bamboo
Both bamboo and banana bark ferment even if you put dry bud.
The bamboo cure is impossible to vape. The banana bark cure made with dry bud ferments but at least it is not too disgusting vaping it. For smoking excellent both of them. They burn smooth
I guess any method replicating perique cure will burn smoothly

I made many bricks. I think you learn with experience, at least you improve
I found what I was looking for only to find out I am not interested in it today
I like vaping I can do it all day every day. Smoking I cant.
Ingesting weed or making any longer term entheogenic substance is something I love very much and would love to do it all day every day but I cant today

So after I found what I wanted with brick I quit the search
Now I am searching the best possible cure for trimmed buds because jars are not that good in a very humid environment. I tried different vacuum jars and some of them leak
So I saw a cheap vacuum sealer in the local market and invested
My idea was to vacuum trimmed dry buds and I thought I would open the bag and still have all loose buds
All of the weed of this season I am putting in the bags. The result is unexpected

Tangwena is getting crystalization on the canary buds. But those canary buds are fermented.
Tangwena, have you tried putting 100% dried canary buds in the bags? If you have tried with 100% dried buds, do they give you high chewed same as the fermented ones???

The brick it makes is not fermented. The whole brick made crystal. I cant picture it properly, my telephone is cheap. What was pointed out as rot is the sun reflection on the biggest crystals.
Growing at this place for some reason buds come out superresinous. I think it is because the plant defends herself against bugs plus very high southern hemisphere UV
So if you put dried ready to jar carefully trimmed outdoors bud grown this way inside these vacuum bags, the result is you get is this mythical thing called crystalization of the whole brick
It is very impressive to see. The bud comes out rubbery after 35 days. I will start opening the bags after 3 months to see. I am making dozens of bags. I am sure they can keep buds long term more than a year in room conditions. It burns as smooth as any brick. And the terpenes are not changed or not changed much so this is a vapable product. I dont know about ingesting this

These are the buds used in the brick posted
I might finnish with more than 50 bags this season
When you want to remember you have your own weed cellar at home and this is something I am searching for
These buds made that crystal brick and it is the most impressive brick I have seen in the 21st century. It is sticky and rubbery brick. The ones in the bamboo and the banana bark are not rubbery.
The strain is Nigeria LMN x Haze Special
SB door (12).jpeg
SB door (13).jpeg
SB door (14).jpeg

So all those trichs have crystalized, it is what it is
I dont know if this brick is commercial. People have never seen something like this
At this moment in history you can only achieve this result making it yourself. It seems to be a superior product than any other way of curing I tried so far from commerciallly sourced weed or made at home

I am looking forwards to start testing these bags in 3 month time. Then I will know if this is the way or not. It seems to be the best of both worlds together in one brick
It looks very very promising

Pd: one more very important thing
Today I was talking with my vegetable seed provider. Her seed was the best of what I have tried around
I ask her hoe she preserves the seed, I was expecting to hear she keeps it at the fridge in a tupper on in vials
The answer didnt surprise me. She keeps her seed at the vacuum bags in a wardrobe.
Any of you is keeping your cannabis seed in vacuum bags?

Last edited:

weedebook

I'm newbie i found this in Strain hunter thailand ep2 What do you think ? i missing old day feeling

re : Thai stick........it's not just Thai bud tied to a stick, there's much more to it than that. I think that the Thai sticks from the 70's were processed with a special technique (that is not that different to the way Malawi cobs are made except they weren't individually wrapped) ...they were harvested, half dried, tied to sticks, bunched together tightly, sealed airtight in plastic or leaves, fermented for a week or two (with heat), air dried for a few hours or a day until the exterior is dry (but the interior is still pliable) then resealed and long cured. This is why these 70's Thai sticks are denser, harder and looked and smelled different to Thai bud and this is why the high from Thai stick is remembered today ...no one finds anything memorable about brick weed but both Thai stick and Thai brick weed came from the same genes, the difference was largely due to fermentation in airtight conditions (which prevents mold). Brick weed, on the other hand is not fermented and that's why it smells musty as mold needs some oxygen to develop. I wonder if any of the old growers in Thailand still know how to do this? The problem is that I presume this technique stopped being done due to police crackdowns in the early 80's on dirt poor Isaan farmers (you can thank the US DEA who pressured the Thai government for that) and then Thai gangsters took over the business and just pressed heavily seeded (hermie prone) ganja into bricks (because it's all about quick cash not the high isn't it!)..so it's been over 40 years since then and they've probably forgotten, or those around today were too young then to really know the finer details about moisture content, temperature etc of this technique or those who did know have sadly passed away with that knowledge ....coupled with the fact that all Asians tend to keep trade secrets secret so the technique wasn't common knowledge or written about and is probably lost (which is why we don't see real Thai stick now even though growing is not criminalized). By the way this fermentation process doesn't increase the potency, but it does enhance the quality of the high....the other advantage was that plants could be harvested, semi-dried for 3 or 4 days then processed making them compact and easier to conceal while they cured, so they didn't have lots of trees hanging around for weeks until they were dry enough to sell which was dangerous due to police busts or theft. Buds in the US or Europe can be snap dry in a week after harvest but in the tropics and sub-tropics, it's not unusual for plants to still be pliable and too wet to smoke in a jay a month or more after harvest due to the high humidity, so the above Thai stick fermentation technique overcame this slow drying problem and more importantly, the high was enhanced. I don't know why the high is enhanced with this technique, but I suspect it's due to how this controlled fermentation changes some terpenes and/or prevents the loss of some terpenes and this enhances the high. Once a bud has dried or is too dry it won't work, even if you re-wet the bud, there will be no improvement in the high. Fermenting really works well with long flowering sativas, there's a noticeable improvement in the high, but this improvement is much less noticeable with shorter flowering modern hybrids.

weedebook

Hi there Sneezy
Before answering you I just want to make clear I dont own a forum, I dont own a seedbank, I dont make a living out of storytelling, I dont spend money in expensive lab test I dont trust much because I know results can be manipulated according to the will of the tester. The lab has commercial interest and is dealing with a customer. In many cases the results reflect what the lab thinks is the answer the customer wants to hear

I am a nobody, just a nomad who is happening to have a few years living in the same place and discovering I love growing during this temporary sedentary time
I am not biased, I am looking for the best weed I can find today. I love certtain type of high that to my dismay is not available anymore today. I came back to the thread because I found something unexpected and I am always expecting the unexpected to happen

This growing thing is being a trip. You dont stop learning and dont stop finding things

So one of the objectives of this trip was to try and recreate the local landrace weed and this target has been achieved only to discover this is not what I want and like today. It was good at that time gone by but today standards are different. Landraces have changed and food has changed and not for the better

Since I didnt have back then vacuum bags, I tried different methods with sweating and I had a lot of mold because vacuum wasnt good
The ones that came out ok were not stronger than the bud and these days I am vaping so I quit this method soon

The bamboo cure gave me 100% equal results. I tried using fresh bud and dried bud. In bamboo cure both of them ferment it doesnt matter dry or wet.
This method gives you brick that needs grinder. Once made after 6 months you can simply put in the shelf or anywhere it doesnt change properties. In a humid environment this method is very appreciated. Local brick is like that, nobody is keeping the brick in any vacuum bag around here
I never seen crystals with this method. I have never seen crystalization of weed in my life on any weed on any method of cure
This method has been proven against mold. As long as you use good unaffected bud this gives moldless brick

Banana bark cure I think needs a press with a few ton force in order to compact the bud better. I did it just bare hands. So you can brake the brick easy and you can roll a spliff with bare hands. I did many bricks this way. None came with mold. I am not obsessed opening and closing the brick. I just made it once, and from that day until I opened it 6 months later or more, I didnt touch it. Same thing with the bamboo
The bamboo cure is impossible to vape. The banana bark cure made with dry bud ferments but at least it is not too disgusting vaping it. For smoking excellent both of them. They burn smooth

Ingesting weed or making any longer term entheogenic substance is something I love very much and would love to do it all day every day but I cant today

Now I am searching the best possible cure for trimmed buds because jars are not that good in a very humid environment. I tried different vacuum jars and some of them leak
My idea was to vacuum trimmed dry buds and I thought I would open the bag and still have all loose buds
All of the weed of this season I am putting in the bags. The result is unexpected

Tangwena is getting crystalization on the canary buds. But those canary buds are fermented.
Tangwena, have you tried putting 100% dried canary buds in the bags? If you have tried with 100% dried buds, do they give you high chewed same as the fermented ones???

The brick it makes is not fermented. The whole brick made crystal. I cant picture it properly, my telephone is cheap. What was pointed out as rot is the sun reflection on the biggest crystals.
Growing at this place for some reason buds come out superresinous. I think it is because the plant defends herself against bugs plus very high southern hemisphere UV
So if you put dried ready to jar carefully trimmed outdoors bud grown this way inside these vacuum bags, the result is you get is this mythical thing called crystalization of the whole brick
It is very impressive to see. The bud comes out rubbery after 35 days. I will start opening the bags after 3 months to see. I am making dozens of bags. I am sure they can keep buds long term more than a year in room conditions. It burns as smooth as any brick. And the terpenes are not changed or not changed much so this is a vapable product. I dont know about ingesting this

When you want to remember you have your own weed cellar at home and this is something I am searching for
These buds made that crystal brick and it is the most impressive brick I have seen in the 21st century. It is sticky and rubbery brick. The ones in the bamboo and the banana bark are not rubbery.
View attachment 19002344 View attachment 19002345 View attachment 19002346

I dont know if this brick is commercial. People have never seen something like this
At this moment in history you can only achieve this result making it yourself. It seems to be a superior product than any other way of curing I tried so far from commerciallly sourced weed or made at home

I am looking forwards to start testing these bags in 3 month time. Then I will know if this is the way or not. It seems to be the best of both worlds together in one brick

Today I was talking with my vegetable seed provider. Her seed was the best of what I have tried around
I ask her hoe she preserves the seed, I was expecting to hear she keeps it at the fridge in a tupper on in vials
The answer didnt surprise me. She keeps her seed at the vacuum bags in a wardrobe.
Can i have some ? you live in thailand ?

Nextgeneration73

Nextgen, Sweating is a higher heat moment where the water vapor comes off the material for a moment and is trapped inside the material as well.
And honestly i havent had great results long term how your doing it unless you dry it a bit now as it isnt vacuumed sealed and it isnt actually cobbed with corn or such, but do let us know your thoughts on it. Id make sure it was really tight and i hope its good, but invest in a vacc sealer someday if you can. Id tie that what you have as tightly as you can with paracord and itll be good imo.
You haven't had good results unless you dry it a bit now? I'm even more confused.... It's already pretty dry now, very dry, I'm thinking of leaving it as it is but perhaps re vacuum seal it better each time that open it for a check up.... Does it need anything else like sun light drying heated up room to stay in a hot place ect....

BumSplodgeBrownPants

So are my cobs mouldy then... :whee: :biglaugh: I best call a doctor.

dsc_0282-jpg.18887360
dscf0545-jpg.18887362

That white stuff is rock hard, if it was mould, it'd brush right off. It's crystallised, bacteria doesn't crystallise. It's a living organism.

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
So are my cobs mouldy then... :whee: :biglaugh: I best call a doctor.

dsc_0282-jpg.18887360
dscf0545-jpg.18887362

That white stuff is rock hard, if it was mould, it'd brush right off. It's crystallised, bacteria doesn't crystallise. It's a living organism.
I'm not a doctor, but did work in health care.
It might be wise if you were to forward the afflicted cobs to me for a proper medical opinion.
They look dangerous to me.

BumSplodgeBrownPants

I'm not a doctor, but did work in health care.
It might be wise if you were to forward the afflicted cobs to me for a proper medical opinion.
They look dangerous to me.
All yours Hombre... I'd rather be safe.

I may need a few more pigeons though, I keep strapping dope to my pigeons and sending them off to deliver to friends, but they get lost and never come back.

There's a mail pigeon party going on somewhere and we're not invited!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
On a serious note, I wonder if running a cob through a pressure canner to kill anything nasty would change it's effects?
I may try that next time I'm pressure cooking grains for mushrooms.
Interesting. What sort of temperature do you get in the canner?. I'm thinking that it might be too hot.

And you do your own grains!. I've only ever done the kits, but am toying with the idea of doing it properly.

Nextgeneration73

All yours Hombre... I'd rather be safe.

I may need a few more pigeons though, I keep strapping dope to my pigeons and sending them off to deliver to friends, but they get lost and never come back.

There's a mail pigeon party going on somewhere and we're not invited!
Hi there BumSpogdenopants, I have some pretty good doctors if you're looking to already make an appointment for today 😕, they don't ask for a lot of money even though they're broke ass Karen convervatives who work for our government with much anger issues due to their lack of weed and hate for it, who actually lust for money but try to conseal it, but judging by your pic, I'd say they'd actually be nice to you and fix you up in a jiffy, 😕, seeing as though you're already dead but just don't know it yet 😕 I highly recommend that you schedule an appointment for today's flight and go see them .. Just remember to not show them how much money you have otherwise before you know it, they'll be calling you BumSpodgenomoney instead 😔

Last edited:

BumSplodgeBrownPants

Interesting. What sort of temperature do you get in the canner?. I'm thinking that it might be too hot.

And you do your own grains!. I've only ever done the kits, but am toying with the idea of doing it properly.

I think the PC at 15PSI gets the grains up to 121*C, then they sit there for 2 or 3 hours depending on how big the jars. I use a Presto 23 quart canner that I got from the US. I can get 10 quart jars in there (3 on top need to be lying down). Grains are easy. I like rye berries.

If I make up syringes of water to be clean, they only need 10-15 minutes at 15PSI.

Cobs in there. Maybe a 20-30 minute cycle might be fine ? I may test it out. It'll decarb them for sure.

I know it's a daft idea, but I gotta try it now. :biglaugh:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I think the PC at 15PSI gets the grains up to 121*C, then they sit there for 2 or 3 hours depending on how big the jars. I use a Presto 23 quart canner that I got from the US. I can get 10 quart jars in there (3 on top need to be lying down). Grains are easy. I like rye berries.

If I make up syringes of water to be clean, they only need 10-15 minutes at 15PSI.

Cobs in there. Maybe a 20-30 minute cycle might be fine ? I may test it out. It'll decarb them for sure.

I know it's a daft idea, but I gotta try it now. :biglaugh:
It's not that daft, imo; nothing ventured, nothing gained. 🙂

ost

Hi there Sneezy

View attachment 19002344 View attachment 19002345 View attachment 19002346

ain't got that many!

funkyhorse

Not now, but at the end of this season after winter harvest if everything goes well I will have more than 50 bags. I use small bags, it is a cheap machine, can only use the smallest size. I am settling in around 30 grams dry bud per bag. I tried with more and with less quantity.
For these 15 x 25 bags I am using 30 grams is good. Now that I know the bag bricks I am trying to give some round shape to compare against the flat shape

Can i have some ? you live in thailand ?
If I would still be living in Thailand I doubt I would have ever learned how to grow
I will go back after my growing adventures with my friend Tiger are over. If I go back and I leave him behind I dont think I will be happy. He is 10 years old now
G13 x LL 4 and Tiger.jpeg

I am growing the Isaan weed from the 2nd episode. It arrived late I dont know if this year I will be able to sample it, but hopefully can make some seed for next year
I am very very curious to see dry thai weed curing in these bags. They need long term cure to reach their potential. It is very difficult in humid weather

I am curious how dry bud cured in these bags performs against fermented bud of the same plant cured in these bags for at least 6 months. I am curious if any of the chewers have tried chewing dry bud cured in these bags

Tangwena

Veteran
I am curious if any of the chewers have tried chewing dry bud cured in these bags
I have and provided you have aged it at least 3 months (6 is better) I get a very euphoric energetic buzz.
Def worth going that root if you want to smoke it though.
I prefer the sweated buds to chew though.
I think @weedebook mentioned in his post the old Thai sticks were probably cured in a similar way.

funkyhorse

I arrived to Thailand at the end of last century and thai sticks were a thing of the past nobody heard or saw
This is the kind of weed available in Thailand until not so many years ago

About this brick being fermented now I dont know
I was sure it wasnt fermented until I made some bricks with thai weed
I just found out all thai bricks cure green like these bricks Wally shows in this post, so now I am not sure if it was fermented or not. I only smoked it, I never vaped this weed so now I am not sure and I dont know

These bricks were not always the same, there were batches some better some worse
I believe they were made in Cambodia until 2013 aproximately and then production seems to have switched to Laos. I know people were keeping this brick in the fridge for better conservation and freshness so I am not sure if it was fermented

The reports of growers and tokers in this forum about Thai Stick sounds like fermented weed. South american weed of the 20th century was fermented for sure and what I smoked during this century was fermented too but the strains used since the 80s are not the same. The local landrace got hybridized

weedebook

I arrived to Thailand at the end of last century and thai sticks were a thing of the past nobody heard or saw
This is the kind of weed available in Thailand until not so many years ago

About this brick being fermented now I dont know
I was sure it wasnt fermented until I made some bricks with thai weed
I just found out all thai bricks cure green like these bricks Wally shows in this post, so now I am not sure if it was fermented or not. I only smoked it, I never vaped this weed so now I am not sure and I dont know

These bricks were not always the same, there were batches some better some worse
I believe they were made in Cambodia until 2013 aproximately and then production seems to have switched to Laos. I know people were keeping this brick in the fridge for better conservation and freshness so I am not sure if it was fermented

The reports of growers and tokers in this forum about Thai Stick sounds like fermented weed. South american weed of the 20th century was fermented for sure and what I smoked during this century was fermented too but the strains used since the 80s are not the same. The local landrace got hybridized
smells different than before . today ripe mango when smoke effect is not the same. In the past it had a plum scent and pomelo sour mango . 1-2 hit enough to get high. effect it so clean mellow full body high and pure bliss. I really miss it so much.
Thank you for good information.

funkyhorse

Tangwena, I hope we are not going offtopic
We love thai weed as it was before not so long ago. A roach got you high 2 hours
Was it fermented?
Modern weed is very different, it is hard to get used to these modern hybrids when you smoke all your life tropical sativas
It is very interesting what they have to say

Latest posts

Latest posts