What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
hi guys,my nose says it's enough so i'm not going to follow the original plan:12 hours sweat for 4 days hanging buds after 4 days of fermentation leaves me with a wonderful smell,like grapefruit juice poured onto a pineapple slice.
View Image
here is a color comparison from left to right:
-1 days hanging,24 hours sweat and 17 days of fermentation
-4 days hanging,12 hours sweat and 4 days of fermentation
-7 days hanging,12 hours sweat and 7 days of fermentation,aging for 5 months
i've found out that the shorter sweat and cure of less humid buds is what i like the most,it saves and actually improves the original aromas.
The dark cure changes the smell into a more spicy and herbal one and the high is more hash-like,narcotic and relaxing;i probably overfermented the black one because it was too wet,the smoke is smooth but overall is not what i'm looking for,still was worth trying
View Image
View Image
5 months aging,a relic :)

View Image
Your nose knows my friend they look perfect.
Never rigidly follow the recipe it is just a guide every bud every plant is different you have ACED those brother.
I love the colors and your description of the smell confirms you have a perfect cure now dry a little seal and age you will have cannabis nectar my friend hats off to you brother.

Big Nasty

Your nose knows my friend they look perfect.
Never rigidly follow the recipe it is just a guide every bud every plant is different you have ACED those brother.
I love the colors and your description of the smell confirms you have a perfect cure now dry a little seal and age you will have cannabis nectar my friend hats off to you brother.
Thank you for the kind words brother,learning and trying this cure is always fun.

H

HaHaHashish

Big Nasty "5 months aging,a relic"

How's the high on the 5 month old cob compared to 1 month old?

Last edited:
H

HaHaHashish

I wouldn't be surprised if right now some one is in the process of patenting the cob making. Although this method is public knowledge, they can get around that by specifying a specific range of temperature and humidity levels as well as describe the method in a way that makes them the inventor.

Tangwena

Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised if right now some one is in the process of patenting the cob making. Although this method is public knowledge, they can get around that by specifying a specific range of temperature and humidity levels as well as describe the method in a way that makes them the inventor.
Well that also locks them into the specs they patent.
It would be next to impossible to prove you used the exact same set of parameters to get your own product.
Anyway a patent is only worth something if the product you produce sells.
I would put my money on some hippy growing good pot at the back of beyond over big business any day.
There will always be a demand for boutique one off harvests over homogenised standardised boring regulated same old same old that big business is geared to produce.
No one can take away your right to be creative.
Its just like wine they can license the name ect but not stop anybody else from making wine at least not in the free world.

Big Nasty

Big Nasty "5 months aging,a relic"

How's the high on the 5 month old cob compared to 1 month old?
hi Triple H :) ,it lost the tachicardic stage(or maybe i'm more used to it) but didn't change a lot,very clerheaded and happy high,i can do tasks while my brain is in stand-by so it's a good daytime smoke,i just can't sit on the couch but is a great well-being feeling,i love the taste and it leaves me a good mouth as we say in Italy,a great pleasure to smoke.
I have to agree with you on the golden cures always the most aromatic and that one of yours is a beauty my friend and thanks for sharing the recipe you have just put another brick in the wall of knowledge.
We should name that cure after you.
ahaha thanks Tang,too much honor and i dont' deserve it,i think there are infinite combos with this cure,strain and timing and moisture level etc.,also the grower's touch for it,i just have to find what is right for myself and everybody should,through trial and error

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

I doubt it very much. If there's a case for Eminent Domain (Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution), this is it. Eminent Domain extends into Patent law and intellectual property. You can't patent something that already exists and is wildly in use. You can't patent fire, water, a wheel, a post or support beam in ANY configuration. Malawi Cobs and Bricks have been around about as long as the wheel, so I think we're safe. lol

On another note, When I opened the latest batch to dry after the sweat, the true scent of the weed emerged the instant I cut the bag open and almost knocked me on my ass. So intense. Gave me an instant boner. lol

Tangwena

Veteran
I doubt it very much. If there's a case for Eminent Domain (Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution), this is it. Eminent Domain extends into Patent law and intellectual property. You can't patent something that already exists and is wildly in use. You can't patent fire, water, a wheel, a post or support beam in ANY configuration. Malawi Cobs and Bricks have been around about as long as the wheel, so I think we're safe. lol

On another note, When I opened the latest batch to dry after the sweat, the true scent of the weed emerged the instant I cut the bag open and almost knocked me on my ass. So intense. Gave me an instant boner. lol
Thats when you know you have hit the sweet spot my friend the nose knows nice one brother.

Tangwena

Veteran
hi Triple H :) ,it lost the tachicardic stage(or maybe i'm more used to it) but didn't change a lot,very clerheaded and happy high,i can do tasks while my brain is in stand-by so it's a good daytime smoke,i just can't sit on the couch but is a great well-being feeling,i love the taste and it leaves me a good mouth as we say in Italy,a great pleasure to smoke.

ahaha thanks Tang,too much honor and i dont' deserve it,i think there are infinite combos with this cure,strain and timing and moisture level etc.,also the grower's touch for it,i just have to find what is right for myself and everybody should,through trial and error
You said it my friend its a rainbow of cures and effects to be found.
It will let true artistry come to the fore there is a lot to discover.

S

Sertaiz

goatskins

goatskins

interesting link of a caption from 1890.
im at page 100 of this thread so i dont know if it has been referenced already but i found it interesting.

http://www.thecannachronicles.com/african-cobbed-cannabis-1890/

"African Cobbed Cannabis, 1890
"Hemp for smoking “diamba” Wrapped in leaves of banana. Smoke small leaves around the seed.” Angola, Africa July 25, 1890

Cobbed cannabis is a ancient technique originating from Africa to cure marijuana. After chopping the harvest and briefly drying, the still moist buds would be tightly wrapped in banana leaves and tied with twine. The cob’s are then buried to slowly cure over months (the cobs are sometimes placed inside goat skins or buried under manure to change flavor profiles).

The ancient curing process uses mostly sativa cannabis and is sometimes associated with Malawi Gold due to the abundance of farmers in that area using the technique. The resulting cob’s can change to a black color upon opening and sometimes refereed to as black magic or Malawi black."

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
im at page 100 of this thread so i dont know if it has been referenced already but i found it interesting.

https://www.thecannachronicles.com/african-cobbed-cannabis-1890/

"Hemp for smoking “diamba” Wrapped in leaves of banana. Smoke small leaves around the seed.” Angola, Africa July 25, 1890

Cobbed cannabis is a ancient technique originating from Africa to cure marijuana. After chopping the harvest and briefly drying, the still moist buds would be tightly wrapped in banana leaves and tied with twine. The cob’s are then buried to slowly cure over months (the cobs are sometimes placed inside goat skins or buried under manure to change flavor profiles).

The ancient curing process uses mostly sativa cannabis and is sometimes associated with Malawi Gold due to the abundance of farmers in that area using the technique. The resulting cob’s can change to a black color upon opening and sometimes refereed to as black magic or Malawi black."

Thanks for that. Good post.

Dog Star

Veteran
Agree with Tycho..

Those wraping in goat skin and then under manure looks to me like some trick
from Biodynamic agriculture..

they use also some parts of animal like stomach for drying some plants inside,i
think chamomille.. and they use skull from calf that they fill with oak cortex
and then they need to dig close to water stream,stream of water goes over it
for few months and then after digging out i remember this oak cortex will
transform in deep brown-black like humus..

calf skull was wraped by some skin so oak cortex dont fall out..

its interesting how people was inovative and smart in that days and today they again
unveils old knowledge,like we get thru some good devolution if we talk best curing or
best type of agriculture...

Thanx for sharing this info... it opened mine eyes a bit more..

Dog Star

Veteran

https://www.thecannachronicles.com/african-cobbed-cannabis-1890/

If they digged under manure and not hermetic closed cause it was wraped in goat skin then bacteries could affect a lot final product
wich can be good and bad.. depends on how old manure is.. cause those that ripped manure already worked out and bacteries goes more to beneficial than from fresh manure that can be dangerous and will definitly made this weed goes bad from liquid fresh amonia,urea..

Mycobacterium vaccae are inside manure,i know she raise serotonine levels and like folks look in treatment of depression,
anxiety will in future be treated with those bactery...

they come from cow shit so i was tought she maybe affects those African black cure.. in 90ies i smoked also some black-brown
that was hit best till this day..

Dog Star

Veteran
Funny how fermentation is highly matched with the human body.

Agree Tycho again...

our body great reacts to proper fermented products.. and fermentation is a qey to enjoy in some good health later..

from milk we made good cheese,cheese that is old is better than
younger one,prices usually tell this...

from buds we made African Black but we need to find ripe manure first and some goat skins,need to abduct somebody goat this days.. ;D

rolandomota

Veteran
The under manure part is probably to deter the cops and robbers an attempt at masking the smell or maybe heat from manure breakdown? Lol who knows

S

Sertaiz

hahaha

hahaha

je ne sais pas. hahahaha so much of life comes down to that. :laughing:

i was reading around page 102 or so when tang linked a hash cure from pakistan, and reading that article it mentioned goat or sheep skin so go buy that sheep and make some stew. They really are for sale sometimes, just have to ask the farmer. sometimes weanoffs go for 25 or 50.

can probably try from roadkill finds as well, plenty of deer get hit by cars and i can only imagine a well aged roadkill racoon stuffed cob. could be killer, or deadly.... hahaha. at least it will have a deadly flavor....

Latest posts

Latest posts