What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Grow Results: Grams per Watt

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If lamp A gave me a huge amount of umoles per w but little weed, and lamp B gave me less umoles but more weed, I know what light i would have choose... You might rightly argue that the two numbers often correlate.. But all umoles are not the same.. i've heard..

Hmmmm, in most cases 1500 umoles per meter squared is going to be better than 1200, or 1300, or...

To a degree, yes, it depends, BUT, growers should realize the importance of PAR + Intensity.

So, if the light is within PAR, AND of high intensity, results will speak for themselves.

Case in point HPS, which doesn't have a great PAR, but has great intensity. 315 CMHs are outperforming 600w+ HPS. Why? Much better PAR spectrum + hi-intensity

I just subscrI bed to this thread. I'm running a 220w led from a CA based company....anyhow I'm 10 days into flower and was wondering what kinda yield I can expect? Would 1 oz per plant that was LST be asking to much? This is my first grow and I'm new to the forum. Any help would be appreciated. I really enjoy this site so far

DoomsDay

The best answer anyone can give you on how much to expect... you get out what you put in, but don't expect much until you dial your environment.

Anyone says anything more than that, and I'll bet it's been pulled from either their sphincter, or thin air.

Yeah I happen to agree. I believe we'll over half the comments on most forums are from people who have no idea really what they talking about. Merely saying something the previously read In their own way. Whenever I have a specific question now I come here and search for an answer. I'm having awesome resuLtd on my grow btw. Appreciate all the honest folks on icmag..

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I'm pretty sure I got that from a random grow guide I found online, been reading quite a few of those and honestly half of them are a off I think.

Still don't think fluorescent is a good way to go for flowering, did you even yield 1oz per plant?

On what do you base your 'thinking'?

I've been using T5s for a couple years now. Best I ever did was just under a pound cured, off two plants. This was under a 432watt, 8 tube, 4', T5 fixture (so 8 sq. ft.). I was paying very close attention, used Vermafire dirt, and Botanicare Pro Grow and Bloom.

These plants were AK47 (SS) F2, from seed. They were under the same fixture full run. Run took a long time. Just under 12 weeks of 12/12. OUCH

In closeing I'd have to say that whoever told you floros don't work, is FULL of it.

I'm currently playing with some domestic use (mostly Cree) screw in LEDs (a mix of 8watt and 11watt bulbs, mostly full spectrum, bright white).

I've made up a 'fire board', of 10 utility bases ($1.25ea @ Home Despicable). The board is just under a foot wide, and 2' long, just a scrap of plywood, with the bases screwed to it shoulder to shoulder mostly.

I have measured the 120vac draw with a Kill a watt, and it came out to 156watts. This unit is suspended about an inch over the canopy (sometimes in the canopy LOL).

There is one plant under the fixture about 18"s tall and roughly 16"x 16"s , on the top. The experimental critter is an AK47 (SS) F3 from seed, and is growing in DWC/aeroponic, 5gal. Homer. 12/12 as of 4/16/15. She is not a monstrous plant and the production will be proportionate as well. The buds are smaller than they should be at this point, but good and tight.

I'd have to say at this point that I'd do much better if i had twice the watts (or more). In my opinion this experiment is a success, but was in fact a waste of 'plant count', 6 each here in Colorado.....

However, the expense ratio could be just shy of 'outdoor', as I did not have to cool or heat the tent, nor did I need to run aux. fans. Set up is still a bit expensive, at almost a dollar/watt (free labor).

Now I have a solid base to work from as I am able to look at the 432watt T5 production compared to the 156watt LEDs. Depending on the next month of course, I am guessing that 200-250 watts of these LEDs, will equal the 432 watts of T5.

P.S. I do not yet own Any purpose built LED Grow fixtures. Also, when I am done with the experiment, the bulbs will get recycled for use in the lamps, can lights, etc., in the 'main' house.

By th'bye; GOOD thread. We Are having fun here.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
The best answer anyone can give you on how much to expect... you get out what you put in, but don't expect much until you dial your environment.

Anyone says anything more than that, and I'll bet it's been pulled from either their sphincter, or thin air.

I'll give a hearty "Amen!" to that.

(and I'm not even religious) :biggrin:

So far.... I'm guilty of Never being dialed, because I often change multiple components too often. Hell, I even have clones that hardly resemble the mother, I'm so jacked up. LOL

edit.... ate a cookie too.......:laughing:

Finished my first grow (using led's and indoors) had 2 ww x bb feminised in a 3x 3ft area. Got 136 grams of cured product. Just under 5oz. I'll never waste my time and effort on the strain again because I believe it's terrible. But that's another story. It's mid grade at best. Still <1gpw. I'm working on it though. Running some incredible bulk and thc bomb atm. We will see how these turn out.

Just to clarify I been growing gardens for about 3 years now, just never inside. So far I think outside produces a much finer product

C

CannaBuilding

Finished my first grow (using led's and indoors) had 2 ww x bb feminised in a 3x 3ft area. Got 136 grams of cured product. Just under 5oz. I'll never waste my time and effort on the strain again because I believe it's terrible. But that's another story. It's mid grade at best. Still <1gpw. I'm working on it though. Running some incredible bulk and thc bomb atm. We will see how these turn out.

Hi mate,

thats still some nice results, what i have found out, been growing with LEDS for about 2 years now multiple smaller panels are better than 1 larger panel. E.g, you will yield more if you have 2x200 watt panels instead of 1x400 watt panels ( im talking actual wattage here), started with a 288watt 3w panel flowering spectrums, purchased another panel 300watt 1w panel, and my yeild almost doubled, and my tops started to bleach, noticed the potency increased with the same strain, Also LST is much more suitable with multiple panels, Was getting perfect dense buds all the way to the bottom (world of seeds strawberry blue strain).

With your grow space i think you should get atleast another 210watt panel, i was 588watt of leds in a 2ft X 3ft growing area, it was abit of a overkill, but the potency was unbelievable, the bleached bud tops were the most potent smoke i've ever had, it was packed with trichrome after trichrome, I've grown with hps before, but never had the bud been as potent as my LED grows.

Happy growing, Peace all.

Some LED Budshots, grown with 588watts of LED (actual wattage), Strawberry blue sativa pheno.

Attachments

• SAM_0171.jpg
    SAM_0171.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 52
  • SAM_0223.jpg
    SAM_0223.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 56

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure why this thread is still active

Bottom line is gpw can only be relevant when comparing the same strain pheno to changes either in the environment, grow techniques, or lighting (even clones from different parts of the mother will be different)

The highest yielding genetics will be compromised with less than ideal conditions.

Koondense

Veteran
Today I was looking at one of Growmou5 videos on YT and used some of his numbers for having a bit of fun doing "expected yield math". I know it's quite silly but fun.

He's using cxb3590s, cxa3070s and BML 600 lights for his latest documented grow, while I'm using only cxb3590s but on higher current and lower efficency compared to his.
Taking in account only the parW/area and g/W numbers I figured with my setup with 6x cxb3590 I should be right on top of the 2g/W bar(actually around 2,2g/W calculated).
Which is kind of absurd to me as I'm a first time indoor grower and expecting to grow far from perfect but in the end who knows, it might be somewhere closer to 2g/W than to 1g/W.

This was done for fun alone but has left a mark on my harvest expectations. The time is slowing down and the wait becoming much harder now:)

hybridtek

Day 98: At long last....Harvest #5 weight!

Harvest #4 weighed: 33.8

These bottom buds were independent tops, so they formed little colas. Better than Harvest #4 which were just bottom growth buds.

Harvest #1: 76.5
Harvest #2: 81.5
Harvest #3: 43.4
Harvest #4: 10.2
Harvest #5: 33.8

GRAND TOTAL = 245.4 grams (8.8 oz.)

1.4 gpw (grams per watt)

This is definitely enough meds to last me a year and then some. I exceeded my expectations of 6 oz.

Staggering my harvest, letting each level of immature buds swell and put on weight took an extra 30 days but yielded at least 50% more. I recommend it if you aren't doing a perpetual thing. I won't have to grow for a long time.

I hope this helps others if they decide to do a single season and stagger their harvests to maximize their yield.

Peace!
HT

Frosty 420

This is a cool thread. I must have missed it but are you guys calculating grams per watt drawn to run the LED or grams per watt when figuring the equivalent watt?

Thanks

M

mugenbao

Today I was looking at one of Growmou5 videos on YT and used some of his numbers for having a bit of fun doing "expected yield math". I know it's quite silly but fun.

He's using cxb3590s, cxa3070s and BML 600 lights for his latest documented grow, while I'm using only cxb3590s but on higher current and lower efficency compared to his.
Taking in account only the parW/area and g/W numbers I figured with my setup with 6x cxb3590 I should be right on top of the 2g/W bar(actually around 2,2g/W calculated).
Which is kind of absurd to me as I'm a first time indoor grower and expecting to grow far from perfect but in the end who knows, it might be somewhere closer to 2g/W than to 1g/W.

This was done for fun alone but has left a mark on my harvest expectations. The time is slowing down and the wait becoming much harder now:)
Been following that dude and Greengene's threads and videos for a while now, pretty interesting and inspiring stuff they're doing.

The process of calculating possible returns based on wattage, canopy size, etc. can be pretty fun I agree, but you shouldn't build any strong expectations based on that since there are so many variables at play for each individual situation. I personally view such speculations (when I do them) as a "theoretical maximum", and try to use that as a source of motivation only. Also, there are a few people on that site who have redefined what GPW means for some bizarre reason... They list their numbers as "grams per PAR watt", but still call it GPW and are claiming upwards of 2GPW as a result, which is misleading as hell.

I will say that I'm fairly confident that you'll be pleased with what you do finally end up with, though. I'll bet you get a pretty good yield. Those chips are badass, and driving them harder like you are should be interesting to see. Hope you keep us updated! :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts