What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Grow Results: Grams per Watt

Dr.King

Veteran
Greetings all, harvested my Killer A5 haze. 550 grams under a Spider farmer 2000 in a 3 x 3 x 7 :dance:. Happy growing all.

Dr.King

Veteran
Greetings Mars, thanks man. They are dry numbers. I have my thread about my Killer A5 haze. Harvested a good 550 grams. Probably gonna get a 5 gallon seal bucket for all of it instead. Happy growing all.

That's a nice number. Are they dried buds wet ones?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
100 wet and 9 dry???

that 9 must have been very dry...

That's a big factor in these results. Just what is dry? On average people loose 80% but this guy lost over 90%. So did he get 9g or 18? Because that doubles his gram per watt.

I have done the before and after many times. I have lost as much as 93% and 90% is typical for me. Never even close to 80%. I find myself walking in and out of coffee shops simply asking if they have anything dry as I smoke neat. We don't all have the same idea of dry, which to me is dried in an atmosphere that never drops below 60%. I have buds here right now with a 58% bovida and a stat in there saying 61%. That container has sat like that for 6 weeks. I have done this long enough to know from experience it's my typical 90% loss. I suspect most people are weighing up damper than I am. There is no other answer in my mind.

I'm hovering around 1.2gpw but think most would call it 2.4gpw. I would rather not join the league table because of this.

The other issue is that gpw is a misunderstanding of the real measure, g per kwh. This gpw makes no allowance for how long I sat about waiting for them to put on the last gram of weight. A sub 7 week crop can't be compared to a 10 week+ crop as gram per watt. The measure is the kwh, or kilowatt-hour. A commercial measure of what the electric cost per gram. I'm pushing 2g/kwh as I'm being wasteful with my light, trying to tune the feed to keep up.

There is also the issue of plant yield. This doesn't play my way as I work with heavy healthy genetics. Many use plants rated at 350g/meter not 600g/meter so these 0.7gpw numbers are just as good as my wet 2.4gpw.

With a little more precision this thread could be a real competitive league table that could have me looking about nervously.
I think I can be put down as ~2g/kwh for peer review. You must put g/kwh though or it's not for my peers. Those white coat wearing fuckers. Put a green stain on it at least. You clipboard touting nerds :)

OutdoorBoy

That's a big factor in these results. Just what is dry? On average people loose 80% but this guy lost over 90%. So did he get 9g or 18? Because that doubles his gram per watt.

I have done the before and after many times. I have lost as much as 93% and 90% is typical for me. Never even close to 80%. I find myself walking in and out of coffee shops simply asking if they have anything dry as I smoke neat. We don't all have the same idea of dry, which to me is dried in an atmosphere that never drops below 60%. I have buds here right now with a 58% bovida and a stat in there saying 61%. That container has sat like that for 6 weeks. I have done this long enough to know from experience it's my typical 90% loss. I suspect most people are weighing up damper than I am. There is no other answer in my mind.

I'm hovering around 1.2gpw but think most would call it 2.4gpw. I would rather not join the league table because of this.

The other issue is that gpw is a misunderstanding of the real measure, g per kwh. This gpw makes no allowance for how long I sat about waiting for them to put on the last gram of weight. A sub 7 week crop can't be compared to a 10 week+ crop as gram per watt. The measure is the kwh, or kilowatt-hour. A commercial measure of what the electric cost per gram. I'm pushing 2g/kwh as I'm being wasteful with my light, trying to tune the feed to keep up.

There is also the issue of plant yield. This doesn't play my way as I work with heavy healthy genetics. Many use plants rated at 350g/meter not 600g/meter so these 0.7gpw numbers are just as good as my wet 2.4gpw.

With a little more precision this thread could be a real competitive league table that could have me looking about nervously.
I think I can be put down as ~2g/kwh for peer review. You must put g/kwh though or it's not for my peers. Those white coat wearing fuckers. Put a green stain on it at least. You clipboard touting nerds :)

Thx for the info, pal! Decent math path

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

*SNIP
I have always been able to achieve 80%. I use hanging baskets and use the 80% number as a gauge along with the snap test, and found it to be pretty much accurate. I use 62% Bovedas in my jars. During the curing process, one will loose a certain amount of weight, the number I use for G/W is the jarring number. IMHO, 90% makes your weed dryer than a popcorn fart. That being said, buddy that sat at 90%, probably saw an increase in "jarred" weight after a spell in comparison with the weight when the buds were jarred.

... and as you stated, "genetics" play a large role in this equation. I use the G/W as a gauge to see how I am doing vs bragging rights. It is simply a tool, amongst many in the cultivation of cannabis, no different than "fine tuning" your growing habits to increase yields. :tiphat:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
:bump:Went a little quiet in here hence the bump, Dry weights photos and make of light including watts would go a long way to help :good:

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The dehu gets a bad name as many are uncontrollable.
I dry in a tent that contains an extractor controlled by RH. It's set about 60%. If the air being drawn in was 95% that would lead me to using a dehu in the room. The room might drop to 40% but my tent would only draw that in while the 60% thermostat was saying it's too damp. The dehu couldn't reduce the tents air, as the RH stat takes care of the tent RH. I just need the lung room RH lower than 60% for it all to work.

Gram per kwh is a cost calculation, so covers the entire grow.
Another calc I saw recently was oz per meter, based on the full installations size. Reported per annum.

Three Berries

My last pick I just left them in the tent with the humidly controller at 60% for about three days, being winter time. In summer I have to put them hanging in a small room with the dehumidifier and run for two or three days.

And yes it all the watts , as you increase light size you increase ventilation and humidification needs.

First thing on my power supply lead is a watt meter.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Ok, next silly question, if you have a fan speed controller, and your fan's Max power is 50w, how do you calculate power usage at the minimum power, without a watt meter?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Ok, next silly question, if you have a fan speed controller, and your fan's Max power is 50w, how do you calculate power usage at the minimum power, without a watt meter?
Bottom line... if you are growing indoors, their environment is carried out/controlled by you. If that is too much of a challenge... grow outdoors. I have 2 watt meters, one for each tent. It lets me know how much current I am drawing. I didn't have one on the veg tent as it wasn't necessary. That being said, it was that power bar that failed and cause the house to burn down. During the rebuild, I will have 2 dedicated circuits in the den. Like the Fire Chief said... that PB could have been hooked up to a fish tank. One had nothing to do with the other. PBs need to be replace after 2 yrs. Most people don't know that. Read <1% :tiphat:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
What's a power bar? Is that like a multi plug extension cord? If so, 2 years? Shit I've been using mine for over 20.