What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

IKEA cabinet 210w Mars Hydro LED DWC "Training Day" SCROG

hybridtek

Hello fellow travelers!

I've been MIA for almost 10 years. I was a new medical marijuana patient at the time, and opted to not take painkillers for a herniated disk. The doctor's prescribed me marijuana right when SB420 established Prop 215.

Since then I've learned a lot of indoor and outdoor grows. Both soil and hydro. Made a few grow cabs. I am a patient again and love that icmag is still going strong. I decided to grow my own medicine and keep it small - just 3 plants. I hope to yield enough to last a year each harvest.

I felt inspired when I spotted a super quality free IKEA cab on Craigslist. It was 55" tall and 36" wide. Perfect height to not be restricted but also stealthy enough to hide away if needed.

I decided to go with LED to avoid heat issues. It is rated at 480W but only pulls half of that. The heat stays at 79-82F with my 4" inline fan running at 70%.

I always loved DWC so I went with a large 10g basin with a plastic cereal box as a brain. I almost decided to go simple and keep it as a single setup, but didn't want to have to mess with the main basin while I did SCROG.

I am trying something new with the SCROG, instead of my usual string and PVC - I found the perfect size of a stacking wire shelf. It is sturdy and will last forever.

I went with a new strain appropriately called "Training Day". Rated 4.9/5.0 on Leafly. It's highlights:
Combination of Two Awesome Strains - LA Confidential and Trainwreck
Massive Yields of 400-500/m2
70% Indica; 30% Sativa
55-63 Days Flowering Time

Here are the mods:
  1. 4 casters with a new modified base for easy transport.
  2. Airtight seal with caulk
  3. Rubber weather stripping on the doors.
  4. filtered vent for intake in the rear bottom
  5. exhaust on top for a 4" inline, with bungee hooks for the carbon scrubber
  6. Handles on each side for easy movement
  7. Mylar throughout
  8. combination lock
  9. Rubber inner tube to absorb the sound of inline fan and seal it from light/air.
  10. Added a hidden magentic Tot-Lok, which is very strong! That, added with the combo lock makes the doors very difficult to open.
  11. Medical MJ grow note

***********FAST FORWARD 98 DAYS****************
(I decided to stagger my harvest as an experiment)

Day 98: At long last....Harvest #5 weight!

Harvest #4 weighed: 33.8

These bottom buds were independent tops, so they formed little colas. Better than Harvest #4 which were just bottom growth buds.

Harvest #1: 76.5
Harvest #2: 81.5
Harvest #3: 43.4
Harvest #4: 10.2
Harvest #5: 33.8

GRAND TOTAL = 245.4 grams (8.8 oz.)

1.4 gpw (grams per watt)

This is definitely enough meds to last me a year and then some. I exceeded my expectations of 6 oz.

Staggering my harvest, letting each level of immature buds swell and put on weight took an extra 30 days but yielded at least 50% more. I recommend it if you aren't doing a perpetual thing. I won't have to grow for a long time.

I hope this helps others if they decide to do a single season and stagger their harvests to maximize their yield.

Peace!
HT

Attachments

• IMG_5629.jpg
    IMG_5629.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5625.jpg
    IMG_5625.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5628.jpg
    IMG_5628.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5626.jpg
    IMG_5626.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5627.jpg
    IMG_5627.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5632.jpg
    IMG_5632.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5633.jpg
    IMG_5633.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5630.jpg
    IMG_5630.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5637.jpg
    IMG_5637.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5639.jpg
    IMG_5639.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

hybridtek

I have not, I started with "full spectrum" T-5's and CFL's. Moved on to MH and HPS.

Now I'm trying LED's. The company looks good, I've read reviews from other growers.

I fucked up the first 10 days of the grow though, I was cocky and didn't check PH. The girls had nute lockout and I just fixed the Ph yesterday, it was around 9, now I have it steady at ranging from 5.5-6.0. They've been eating too, PPMs are going down so that is good. But I had gnarly leaves for a while, they are starting to looks better.

This will prolong my veg stage, hopefully has no effect on the yield.

The manufacturer recommends I keep my plants 18"-24" from the plants. They are pretty damn strong. I just have the grow lights on, so I am probably using 170W in veg, and when I flip the "Flower" switch it will use 205W

hybridtek

Adjusted Ph a few days ago, plants have burst back with a vengeance. Also added some Dyna-Gro Pro-tekt and Hydroguard

Attachments

• IMG_5640.jpg
    IMG_5640.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5641.jpg
    IMG_5641.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5642.jpg
    IMG_5642.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 70

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Great cabinet. Sure can't beat free! I've heard good things about Mars Hydro too, should be a good show.

hybridtek

thanks guys! Updates coming soon, been tying her down and debating on when I should flip to 12/12. She is bushy as hell and I can't tell how much she'll stretch. Did some pruning last night.

hybridtek

Flipped the 3 girls to 12/12 tonight, been training and removing fan leaves, she is getting out of control. Insane growth! I love DWC!

Switched the "BLOOM" light on the Mars Hydro and put in some Bloom nutes from Botanicare. So far Botanicare has been great, though I am tempted to go back to House & Garden next time.

Excited to see her flowers and swell the cab with amazingness...:canabis:

Attachments

• IMG_5644.jpg
    IMG_5644.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5643.jpg
    IMG_5643.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5645.jpg
    IMG_5645.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 70
are you gonna add another screen to compensate for stretch, or just keep things under the first?

Side question, where'd you get them small clip fans, since mid sept or so all stores have removed fans and replaced with heaters. Guess i can try and find a hydro store, but shit i just want a couple of those small clippers

Looking good btw!!! :)

Last edited:

CoCoSativas

Adjusted Ph a few days ago, plants have burst back with a vengeance. Also added some Dyna-Gro Pro-tekt and Hydroguard

Pro tell is very alkaline be warned don't forget to check pH when using that or its not going to be a laughing matter your pH can go even crazier.its amazing how much depends on pH in hydroponics. If it's messed up in coco man things get weird quick

hybridtek

Yeah dude, it shot Ph way up, I adjusted it with some nutes to bring it back down before even adding it to the rez. I usually use grow nutes to lower Ph, and Protekt to raise.

I never had Ph issues with H&G which is why I may go back...

hybridtek

Pro tell is very alkaline be warned don't forget to check pH when using that or its not going to be a laughing matter your pH can go even crazier.its amazing how much depends on pH in hydroponics. If it's messed up in coco man things get weird quick

Dude, I used to grow Kali Mist, loved it! So spicy. I moved onto Lamb's Bread afterwards, what a yielder!

hybridtek

After 2 weeks of veg and 1 night of 12/12.
She is exploding, once she flowers it's gonna be insane! :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_5646.jpg
    IMG_5646.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5648.jpg
    IMG_5648.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 69

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're gonna have a full cab when they really start flowering!

Do you know what the two strains are that make up training day?