What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Grow Results: Grams per Watt

L

letis

hi guys.. i grow for the last 2 years under ASTIR asl24gp. as an hid grower my gpw was usually 0,6-0,7 in a 1x1 grow tent with a 400 mh/hps system. my last grow with ASL24 gave me 395 grams of dried weed with a total wattage 0f 300 watt for the last weeks. my average wattage consumption was about 230 watt. so i had a gpw of 1,3 if i count the maximum watt i had. if we count the average wattage during the whole grow the gpw was bigger.

here you will find my grows. sorry but it's in Greek cause this is my native language.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=280815&page=3

I will be back in a few months to let you know how the new BlackStar 480W V2.0 does. I haven't seen many diaries using it to date, but I am :biggrin: .

About 2 weeks from harvest, can hardly wait. Don't think the yield this time will be too impressive as its my first grow, but the buds are beautiful and in a few cycles I will up the efficiency.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
An example of why GPW is not relevant

I harvested 2 phenos of the same Med-Man Silver Skunk Bx1 under a ~ 400w draw BML SPYDR 600

One plant was huge, yielding 222gms of dry bud

The other plant was a squat girl with half the dry bud

Had I grown 2 large plants GPW would have been 1+, instead it was ~ 0.6

An example of why GPW is not relevant

I harvested 2 phenos of the same Med-Man Silver Skunk Bx1 under a ~ 400w draw BML SPYDR 600

One plant was huge, yielding 222gms of dry bud

The other plant was a squat girl with half the dry bud

Had I grown 2 large plants GPW would have been 1+, instead it was ~ 0.6

What would you use as a relevant comparison method?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Because each strain and pheno is different there is no equal comparator

grow methods is another factor

Hydro often grows much bigger, fatter plants, using the same 'watts', so that needs to be considered

Not all watts are equal, another problem

Temps, RH, nute strength all factor in

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
G/W isn't worth a damn as an absolute measurement in a case-by-case basis. However, it is a pretty helpful guideline for generalized results.

Because each strain and pheno is different there is no equal comparator

grow methods is another factor

Hydro often grows much bigger, fatter plants, using the same 'watts', so that needs to be considered

Not all watts are equal, another problem

Temps, RH, nute strength all factor in

All watts are equal, its a measure of energy. the efficency of the unit producing the light to grow cannabis will vary, but a watt is a watt. What a proper LED drawing 200 watts can produce may not be equal to what an HPS drawing 200 watts both units still draw 200w

I understand what you are saying, different veg periods, grow medium, strains, pheons, skills, all kinds of variables. What I have noticed is there aren't a lot of people out there claiming 2,3,4,5 g/w so clearly there is some kind of control to the measurement or people would tweak it to produce huge numbers and make them selves feel special.

Do I think its perfect? no, would g/kwh be a better measurement? probably. Is it a measurement I will use to try and increase the efficiency of my grow, most definitely.

My situation is much the same as yours Pet, I have a Blue Cheese that is going to seriously out yield a Big Bud, so my lesson is that blue cheese is much happier with my set up than Big Bud. Next time if I grow 2 Blue cheese my g/w will most likely go up.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All watts are equal, its a measure of energy. the efficency of the unit producing the light to grow cannabis will vary, but a watt is a watt. What a proper LED drawing 200 watts can produce may not be equal to what an HPS drawing 200 watts both units still draw 200w

I understand what you are saying, different veg periods, grow medium, strains, pheons, skills, all kinds of variables. What I have noticed is there aren't a lot of people out there claiming 2,3,4,5 g/w so clearly there is some kind of control to the measurement or people would tweak it to produce huge numbers and make them selves feel special.

Do I think its perfect? no, would g/kwh be a better measurement? probably. Is it a measurement I will use to try and increase the efficiency of my grow, most definitely.

My situation is much the same as yours Pet, I have a Blue Cheese that is going to seriously out yield a Big Bud, so my lesson is that blue cheese is much happier with my set up than Big Bud. Next time if I grow 2 Blue cheese my g/w will most likely go up.

One watt of red is not equal to one watt of blue in the conversation we are having regarding growing plants.

One watt of either delivered by an inferior method is not equal either...

One watt of either at different CRI is not equal either...

cocogrower

One watt of red is not equal to one watt of blue in the conversation we are having regarding growing plants.

One watt of either delivered by an inferior method is not equal either...

One watt of either at different CRI is not equal either...

I think your last statements really is the reason to why we still are looking at g/w, despite the fact that case studies can be misleading.

Will a certain amount of red, number of cri, or method of delivering the light be more efficient?

I agree agree with you Pet, that the g/w measure can be very misleading because of the factors already mentioned. There also is a fixation going on here, but many people like to compete with them self and with others, not to mention, bragging, smoking and selling huge amounts of herb.. But hey, we are just humans, right? I also sympathize with the g/Kw measure because it truer and also tells us something about how environment friendly the herb grown actually is..

tebos

Despite the many influencing factors, a high g/w measure means that you got your setup dialed in and under control.
And to some extent the lights the effect g/w result, that's why it's a nice comparison tool.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think your last statements really is the reason to why we still are looking at g/w, despite the fact that case studies can be misleading.

Will a certain amount of red, number of cri, or method of delivering the light be more efficient?

I agree agree with you Pet, that the g/w measure can be very misleading because of the factors already mentioned. There also is a fixation going on here, but many people like to compete with them self and with others, not to mention, bragging, smoking and selling huge amounts of herb.. But hey, we are just humans, right? I also sympathize with the g/Kw measure because it truer and also tells us something about how environment friendly the herb grown actually is..

Seems like the qualifier should be umoles/m^/sec per watt

cocogrower

Seems like the qualifier should be umoles/m^/sec per watt

If lamp A gave me a huge amount of umoles per w but little weed, and lamp B gave me less umoles but more weed, I know what light i would have choose... You might rightly argue that the two numbers often correlate.. But all umoles are not the same.. i've heard..

cocogrower

But then again lamps don't produce weed... people do. lol Guess you wanna get the grower out of the assessment.. guess many lights companies and breeders have been frustrated when hobby growers have blamed their incompetence on the gear.. :)

Well, this isnt the full count but I got 70.3g dried and manicured form the first plant. I should see equal from the second in a week or so. if that is the case it will be 140 ish total with a light that draws 306ish form the wall. I hardly maximized my space and did no training or topping so .45/watt on my first run lol. Ill report back on the next run which is 4 autoflowers

mr. gt

What would you use as a relevant comparison method?

sorry to butt in, but I was just thinking about gpw before I saw this post.

My pretty well thought through idea and opinion about gpw is as follows:

-Gpw is very effective if you have a dialed in system with 1 phenotype. You can compare it to your last grows. Even though there are nutrient, sickness and deficiency variables, I still think it is overall very good for general relevant comparison. ( a member whose grows I would apply this to are Aerokrafter's: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=237140)

That being said. If you want to get real technical, you would want to consider grams per watt per square feet per length of time.

a couple examples would be:

400 watt hps.. or led : ) and you harvested 1200 grams. well that may be possible if you vegged for a year (I give extreme examples to prove a point. there should be a median or balance in the middle)

or

you got 1200 grams off of a 400w but it was in a 20 x 20 room with 100 plants on a light mover (no idea if this is even possible, but just to make a point)

Great thread and now I'm subbed!

~mr. gt

sorry to butt in, but I was just thinking about gpw before I saw this post.

My pretty well thought through idea and opinion about gpw is as follows:

-Gpw is very effective if you have a dialed in system with 1 phenotype. You can compare it to your last grows. Even though there are nutrient, sickness and deficiency variables, I still think it is overall very good for general relevant comparison. ( a member whose grows I would apply this to are Aerokrafter's: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=237140)

That being said. If you want to get real technical, you would want to consider grams per watt per square feet per length of time.

a couple examples would be:

400 watt hps.. or led : ) and you harvested 1200 grams. well that may be possible if you vegged for a year (I give extreme examples to prove a point. there should be a median or balance in the middle)

or

you got 1200 grams off of a 400w but it was in a 20 x 20 room with 100 plants on a light mover (no idea if this is even possible, but just to make a point)

Great thread and now I'm subbed!

~mr. gt

The other measure that I feel would be equal would be grams/Kwh, that way veg times are evened out as the Kwhs to veg for a year would change your outcome.

tenthirty

First full led grow under CXA 3070's with a full table.
3x6 table 8 ab bin 3070's 28 oz's 784g / 480w = 1.63 gw.