What's new

~Kief Junkie & QueenKief's 250w Organic Medi-Cab (soil) Grow!~ ~Pure & Blue Mystic~

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
I once again guess PH, but that's only because of the rust spots. I know it shouldn't be an issue in organic, but that is still my guess. You feeding with molasses still too?

PH? Really? Yes, we're still feeding with molasses and LK every watering.

luv2garden

KJ,

You should get one of these I have one works great

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAPITEST-pH-SOI...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Your PH for soil should be 6-7ph. Also when you water check the PH of the tea should be 6-6.5 I found is the best range.

In either case I would flush with 2x the pot size of plain water letting it drain out the bottom holes and start over with a full dose of bloom you have something that's locked out either K or N.

I have P locked out of my diesel (Leaves were browning and dieing) and
I flushed out completely and gave it full strength dose of Grow and she's very lush now.

I'm finished chopping check it out in my sig!

Good luck brotha I'll be watching

K.J

Veteran
KJ,

You should get one of these I have one works great

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAPITEST-pH-SOI...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Your PH for soil should be 6-7ph. Also when you water check the PH of the tea should be 6-6.5 I found is the best range.

In either case I would flush with 2x the pot size of plain water letting it drain out the bottom holes and start over with a full dose of bloom you have something that's locked out either K or N.

I have P locked out of my diesel (Leaves were browning and dieing) and
I flushed out completely and gave it full strength dose of Grow and she's very lush now.

I'm finished chopping check it out in my sig!

Good luck brotha I'll be watching

I do have a PH soil tester that works in liquids as well, but it never seemed to work that well. And then of course I was told PH wasn't a concern in organic soils, if you did the mix right (and I followed the LC's mixes and other stuff in the organics forum).

So PH is the consensus here?

K.J

Veteran
I almost forgot to mention, we lowered the light about 12" the other day. So far I think they love it...the buds seem to have gotten a little more plump and frosty. It also increased the temps about 3 degrees at the top of the soil, which was sorely needed. Temps right now are hovering around 77 with lights on. It definitely dries them out a little faster on top, so I'll be doing a plain water feeding shortly.

We also decided to release the bonds on all of them. I figure if they start getting out of hand, or in each others way, we can still pull them back with the wire as we left it on the stem. With the BM's, we weren't even trying to LST, we just didn't want them shading each other in their shared pot, but that doesn't seem like it'll be a problem anytime soon.

Things are smelling wonderful in there, every time I open it I get a blast (but I can't smell a thing with the doors closed, so the filter/fan/ventilation is all doing it's job). Baby is my favorite right now because she has this very slight hint of berries (blueberry coming out?) on the end of her aroma. The Pure girls are also smelling pungent and stanky...kind of sour, kind of sweet, a bit of skunk, and 100% delicious. The little bud tops are looking pretty good now too, a little anemic still, but getting there. And of course the top colas are swelling mightily.

K.J

Veteran
It's day 55 and things are looking and smelling superb in the cab. We've been watering much more frequently and I think they really like it. It's mostly just water at this point, though I did put in some molasses and LK this last time (just for one can of the two I filled though). The buds are thickening up still and things are getting frostier after every water it seems. They love the light being closer to them; now we know for next grow that our setup affords us the luxury of having the light within a foot of the plants tops.

I've been too busy and lazy to take pictures, but I promise new pics by Monday at the latest. We might actually be chopping next weekend! Woohoo!

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
AH Man! good to hear all is going well :smile:

I'm just "flushing" mine for a couple more days then next week (Monday) I'll water them for the last time before letting the pots go dry...(til Saturday and choppity chop chop) I've read that this will help speed up drying and many of the more seasoned guys are using this technique.. might be something for you.. might not :smile:

best wishes
j

K.J

Veteran
AH Man! good to hear all is going well :smile:

I'm just "flushing" mine for a couple more days then next week (Monday) I'll water them for the last time before letting the pots go dry...(til Saturday and choppity chop chop) I've read that this will help speed up drying and many of the more seasoned guys are using this technique.. might be something for you..

Thanks for the tip Jamie, it sounds reasonable. We still haven't 100% decided when to take them down. I bought a 30x magnifier for that reason, but for whatever reason (likely user error) I just can't get a clear look through the damn thing, so it's useless to me. So we can't really tell how amber the trich's might be. We also think that the BM's might go another week after we bring down the Pure's. Whatever we decide, we'll put at least a few days of soil drying time in the mix before we bring them down.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
mate, the best advice I've been given (thanks CC) was to take tiny wee tester buds every few days and check that way... anything less than smoking it is really just too subjective eh :D

the other thing you can do is look for pics of your strain when its finished and calculate how much of a % of brown hairs you see

K.J

Veteran
mate, the best advice I've been given (thanks CC) was to take tiny wee tester buds every few days and check that way... anything less than smoking it is really just too subjective eh :D

the other thing you can do is look for pics of your strain when its finished and calculate how much of a % of brown hairs you see

Testing to me doesn't tell the whole story, because cure and drying time make so much of a difference. I think the trich method is really the best way to time it, so I'll have to take a look at either using this one correctly, or getting me a new one.

White

It's day 55 and things are looking and smelling superb in the cab....

I've been too busy and lazy to take pictures, but I promise new pics by Monday at the latest. We might actually be chopping next weekend! Woohoo!

My man, great job and I'm glad to hear all is well. It's great that things have worked out this far, congrats. What are your plans for after the upcoming harvest?

Personally, I'm hoping to get some new beans in soon and get some more genetics going. I just took 50 clones the other day, so they'll be ready to go in a couple of weeks. Also hoping to do an outdoor SCROG.

Anyways, enough about me.... Great job again man, keep it up. Stay up and stay safe. Glad to have been along for the ride so far.

Peace,
White

K.J

Veteran

My man, great job and I'm glad to hear all is well. It's great that things have worked out this far, congrats. What are your plans for after the upcoming harvest?

Personally, I'm hoping to get some new beans in soon and get some more genetics going. I just took 50 clones the other day, so they'll be ready to go in a couple of weeks. Also hoping to do an outdoor SCROG.

Anyways, enough about me.... Great job again man, keep it up. Stay up and stay safe. Glad to have been along for the ride so far.

Peace,
White

Thanks for stopping in White! It is wonderful that things have come this far, it's been a journey. The plan is to finish the cab (the light traps/ventilation between the rooms so we can run them both at the same time) and maybe add some supplemental CFL lighting to both rooms. I'm not sure we'll have time to do all of this, but even if not, we'll be getting some clones and putting them right into flower as soon as we can.

White

Great man, good to hear. Yeah, if you get two rooms going, then maybe you can find some room to veg clones in. Get as much veg time as you can so you'll get a heavier yield off your bigger plants. That way you can go perpetual too. Not sure if you want to go that way, I think I remember hearing you did.

Whatever it is, best of luck to ya man. Can't wait to hear a smoke report and see the harvest. Peace brother.

White

K.J

Veteran
Great man, good to hear. Yeah, if you get two rooms going, then maybe you can find some room to veg clones in. Get as much veg time as you can so you'll get a heavier yield off your bigger plants. That way you can go perpetual too. Not sure if you want to go that way, I think I remember hearing you did.

Yes, perpetual for sure. That's what this cab was built to do, we just had to rush these into flower and didn't have time to finish up the light traps. Can't wait to get it done.

You know there'll be a smoke report when things are done!

Work2much

That was a nice read.

If I may offer my 2 cents. Considering your legal and stealth is not a huge concern, and basement temps are slightly low to begin with I'd seriously consider upgrading to a 400 in your flower chamber. In your situation I see all positives and few negatives, except a few bucks more spent. You mentioned that you would like to have your temps a few degrees higher and the 400 will do just that. Also, side lighting is nice, but large lights with high penetration cant be beat.

K.J

Veteran
That was a nice read.

If I may offer my 2 cents. Considering your legal and stealth is not a huge concern, and basement temps are slightly low to begin with I'd seriously consider upgrading to a 400 in your flower chamber. In your situation I see all positives and few negatives, except a few bucks more spent. You mentioned that you would like to have your temps a few degrees higher and the 400 will do just that. Also, side lighting is nice, but large lights with high penetration cant be beat.

Hey Work2much (don't we all), thanks for stopping in and saying hello!

I appreciate the feedback too. We originally thought about going with a 400, but changed our minds for a few reasons. Although we are legal, stealth is definitely still an important aspect since we do not own the place we live in and landlords stop in at least twice a year to do maintenance. We also have some not so understanding people in our personal lives that we'd prefer to keep this from, for now (there will come I day...). So the stealth cab was imperative and the 250 seemed the best for our design.

Although we have wished during this grow that the temps were a few degrees higher, that won't be a problem with our next grow since it will be a good 10 degrees warmer in the room due to the summer sun outside. I'm thinking that by June we'll be wishing it was a few degrees colder in there, but we'll see. I think that adding some supplemental CFL tubes will help, plus having the veg room running (it hasn't been during this grow) will add a few degrees to the cab.

After this next grow we'll reassess and decide if upping it to a 400 is a good idea. For now though, I think just adding some CFL tubes will do exactly what we need.

Stick around!

rave420

Hey KiefJunkie,

got any updates on the plants (pictures)? How are they doing? Did the guano tea help with the problem?
Also, don't expect to see any improvement in the already damaged parts. A plant can not repair necrotic and dried out tissue. What is important is how the new growth looks.

See, i recently gained a new understanding about deficiencies. Let me try to explain it in my own words. We got the plant, which uses the roots to retrieve nutrients from the soil, and store excess nutrients in the leaves. The soil is it's own little world. Depending on what soil you have, a lot of things will matter for the soil to corporate with the roots. One of these things is pH. Certain nutrients are available at a certain pH range only. Soil tends to get more acidic when left untreated and fertilized over time. This effect causes some problems. For example, phosphorous which is important starts to become "unavailable" for the roots at a pH of higher than 6.1 - 6.2. The first thing the plant does when it can't find any nutrients in the soil (because they are unavailable), it turns on it's internal reserves. In other words, it consumes all the phosphorous it has available there. That includes leaf tissue, the plant essentially feeds of itself.
The first thing i would do when i see necrotic tissue that might be related to P or K problems is i check the pH, and most often it's quite acidic (above 6). I read that up t0 5.5 is fine, but now i know better.
So, by looking at the pH and the damage on the plant, it should be fairly easy to diagnose what's wrong with your plant. Do you know your soil - pH?

K.J

Veteran
Hey KiefJunkie,

got any updates on the plants (pictures)? How are they doing? Did the guano tea help with the problem?
Also, don't expect to see any improvement in the already damaged parts. A plant can not repair necrotic and dried out tissue. What is important is how the new growth looks.

See, i recently gained a new understanding about deficiencies. Let me try to explain it in my own words. We got the plant, which uses the roots to retrieve nutrients from the soil, and store excess nutrients in the leaves. The soil is it's own little world. Depending on what soil you have, a lot of things will matter for the soil to corporate with the roots. One of these things is pH. Certain nutrients are available at a certain pH range only. Soil tends to get more acidic when left untreated and fertilized over time. This effect causes some problems. For example, phosphorous which is important starts to become "unavailable" for the roots at a pH of higher than 6.1 - 6.2. The first thing the plant does when it can't find any nutrients in the soil (because they are unavailable), it turns on it's internal reserves. In other words, it consumes all the phosphorous it has available there. That includes leaf tissue, the plant essentially feeds of itself.
The first thing i would do when i see necrotic tissue that might be related to P or K problems is i check the pH, and most often it's quite acidic (above 6). I read that up t0 5.5 is fine, but now i know better.
So, by looking at the pH and the damage on the plant, it should be fairly easy to diagnose what's wrong with your plant. Do you know your soil - pH?

This is my understanding as well, to a degree. We haven't bothered checking PH due to the soil being built all organic; I was told countless times in the organics sub forum that PH isn't a concern if I followed these recipes correctly. It could be PH, but why would it only show up in one plant the way it has? All of them are in the same soil and get watered exactly the same. If it were PH, I would think all of them would be having the problem (at least those of the same strain). Next time around though, we'll pay more attention to PH.

Thanks for stopping by!

K.J

Veteran
New pics, day 59

New pics, day 59

It's day 59 and things are chugging along.

Petunia is the only one I'm concerned about, as her deficiency (or whatever the problem is) is progressing on the fan leaves (it's affected nearly every fan leaf now). The buds on her still look good, if smaller than Purdy's, so I think she'll still produce good medicine for us.

The BM girls are doing fantastic, surprising me every day with their bulk, frosty-ness and amazing aroma's (Baby smells grape-ish now!). I'm really surprised at how great these two are doing considering their handicaps since birth, so to speak. I'm very excited to toke these two for the first time.

Purdy is looking amazing and still packing on weight. Every time I look in the cab I think "man, she's going to go 70 days!" Her structure, aroma, apparent yield and overall vibe is the better of the two Pure plants we have, no doubt. Maybe a re-veg is in order?

I think we'll be harvesting Petunia pretty soon. We checked the trich's on all of them the other day (finally figured our microscope!) and they're all ranging from clear to opaque still...no amber yet. I imagine that will change in the next few days for Petunia. The others I would imagine will go for another 5-10 days still, or more. Soon. very soon!

Thanks to everyone who has offered support and advise. This grow has been made better and more enjoyable because of you! We look forward to sharing our harvest success story with all of you soon.

On to the pics! Apologies for the blurry pics of Petunia, but I was in a hurry and the preview looked clear to me...hehe.

Baby & BillieJean, Day 59 of flower (5 04 09)

picture.php

Petunia, Day 59 of flower (5 04 09)

picture.php

Purdy, Day 59 of flower (5 04 09)

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts