What's new

Ideas For Keeping Pot Prices from Deflating Rapidly

Ideas For Keeping Pot Prices from Deflating Rapidly

• Total voters

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I'm not saying there shouldn't be allowances of price inflation. I'm just saying sixty dollars for a little over three grams of weed and a 5-6k standard for a pound of good pot is ridiculous, and people arguing to keep it that way are greedy.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Did you guys even see an increase in price before the outdoor started coming in this year?

i did from some guys....they knew prices were gonna fall dramatically so they were asking a higher price up until a few weeks ago. now the flood is almost in full swing as everybody and their moms is pulling some backyard boogie...so the same guy that was asking 34 for his indoors is now asking 32...but im still saying "sorry not interested"

indoors in cali is probably gonna fall below 3 real soon...none of its moving when you got some fire outdoors for 2-25..

zenoonez

Veteran
i did from some guys....they knew prices were gonna fall dramatically so they were asking a higher price up until a few weeks ago. now the flood is almost in full swing as everybody and their moms is pulling some backyard boogie...so the same guy that was asking 34 for his indoors is now asking 32...but im still saying "sorry not interested"

indoors in cali is probably gonna fall below 3 real soon...none of its moving when you got some fire outdoors for 2-25..

Sad sad shit for all those mom and pops shops. Its going to get hard to grow for a living lol.

R

Rabbi Reefer

Any city or district that goes for the cheap, fast buck with giant warehouse grows will do well initially, but they will have a hard time legitimizing themselves farther down the road.

There will be a big divide...those who look for low prices, and those who shop for quality.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I'm not saying there shouldn't be allowances of price inflation. I'm just saying sixty dollars for a little over three grams of weed and a 5-6k standard for a pound of good pot is ridiculous, and people arguing to keep it that way are greedy.

Don't get me wrong...I do not want the prices to stay high....and I would not pay $5-6 thousand for a pound of anything...nor will I charge that--
I just don't see a big drop in price coming...at least not for several years-- Eventually, yeah....but not right away--:tiphat:

Shit is a plant, once the actually farming community gets in on the $, its game over.

EDIT: To respond to the poll question. I honestly would not buy something that said hand trimmed on it... that is assuming that the non hand trimmed product is of the same quality. Just because someone paid 20/hr to someone to trim their harvest does not mean they should recieve higher compensation for their product. Because as a end consumer, i could honestly give a shit less about anything but price in regards to quality. If the quality is higher for the price, then we are talking a whole new ballgame

thank you for posting this so i can use it as an example but please grow up and realize your actions have consequences. Okay guys, anyone hear about the WTO protests? Any one care about workers rights? This is where you make a difference. WITH WHAT YOU BUY! When you think it is okay to pay a child in china 2 cents to work a 20 hour shift so you can have the newest Abercrombie shirt, you have morality issues. SO while i appreciate your eye for a bargain and dedication to capitalism and consumer driven choice, i hope your children get sold into slavery. No, really. (not really. :artist:) But, c'mon man. Price isn't everything. Buy American, much? Your economic pledge says no. Second, I'ld pay $100 a quarter oz, for certified organic (good for me and environment), equitably hand trimmed (good for local economy, machines kill jobs that are often better done by humans) pot sold with some certified terroir information ( i know the money is staying in the community from which it was produced, at least partially). I can do this with wine beer cigarettes coffee cheese eggs leather beef chicken fish... WHY not cannabis.?!? :rant:

Word.
This is the market speaking people. From all my evidence this is a trend downward in price and when the mega grows start and the valley goes full force, assuming Prop-19 passage, this trend will continue. (NEWS FLASH: if you think any road out of cali is safe after Prop 19 passage you are smoking TOO much. Huge increase in domestic supply.) So, the question is: how do the mom and pops who built this community keep their piece? With terrior. Some of these guys have been propagating the same hills since the sixties. 40 year history that no new comer can compete with and could never duplicate.
Additionally and maybe the most important point, establishing these standards with pot in Cali can free the rest of the world. Imagine if thai sticks (marketed the same way) could be sold next to some mendo purps. If that money could be sent back to Thailand, Jamiaca, Afghanistan, or Nepal. If those people could be helped the same way NorCal has been. :ying::ying::ying: Lets not forget that California is the world's 8th largest economy. This is no drop in the bucket. We have the ability to be the tip of the spear. To set the stage so that the world can follow. Have any of you ever dreamed what it would be like if the world accepted pot and pot heads?? The culture and the gardening talent, and the myriad of medicinal benefits???

Sad sad shit for all those mom and pops shops. Its going to get hard to grow for a living lol.

It doesn't have to be. That is what this thread is about. re read the first few posts. This is about establishing a consumer/grower run system that can preserve local communities' culture and profit margin. Terroir has the ability to make boutique varieties of pot worth even more. Possible increasing the value that these local communities pull from their land.

Have you not dreamed of smoking Afghan hash aged in a goat bladder for a year, in afghanistan? Don't you want hand rub some charas with the Nepalese? What about smoke blunts and listen to dubstep with some surfer guys in cali (joke)? Or trim a few pounds in the mountains of Humboldt? Attend a harvest festival...

AHHHHHHH! i feel like i'm abusing my computer but i'm so passionate about this. (sorry if it is coming off as abrasive. I yam what i am.) I feel like this is the moment our "Psychedelic" forefathers were working towards. This is it people!!!!

:thank you::blowbubbles::thank you:

Toyot4

thank you for posting this so i can use it as an example but please grow up and realize your actions have consequences. Okay guys, anyone hear about the WTO protests? Any one care about workers rights? This is where you make a difference. WITH WHAT YOU BUY! When you think it is okay to pay a child in china 2 cents to work a 20 hour shift so you can have the newest Abercrombie shirt, you have morality issues. SO while i appreciate your eye for a bargain and dedication to capitalism and consumer driven choice, i hope your children get sold into slavery. No, really. (not really. :artist:) But, c'mon man. Price isn't everything. Buy American, much? Your economic pledge says no. Second, I'ld pay $100 a quarter oz, for certified organic (good for me and environment), equitably hand trimmed (good for local economy, machines kill jobs that are often better done by humans) pot sold with some certified terroir information ( i know the money is staying in the community from which it was produced, at least partially). I can do this with wine beer cigarettes coffee cheese eggs leather beef chicken fish... WHY not cannabis.?!? :rant:

Price is not everything, but knowing someone got overpayed to use a pair of scissors on my herb does not make me sleep well at night. 20 per hour to use some fiskars? McDonalds employees could do that, thats all im saying.

Seems like your are living in some sort of dream land where everything is perfect and all people are taken care of. If cannabis ever becomes a commodity, it will be just that. A little sun, a little dirt, a little water. The farmers in the marijuana industry are backed by some of the most ridiculous markups. Those guys out there farming tomatoes, potatoes, corn.... etc will gladly throw some pot on their parcels and grow just as good of stuff.

but like i mentioned, pot prices will most likely stay where they are until something happens on a federal level, or global level.

Price is not everything, but knowing someone got overpayed to use a pair of scissors on my herb does not make me sleep well at night. 20 per hour to use some fiskars? McDonalds employees could do that, thats all im saying.

McDonalds employees get you Mcdonalds product. I don't want a race to the bottom. I want quality. I'm not sure i have the patience to try and sort this out for you. ...Its not overpayed if you are helping the local community; keeping it from being ruined by assembly line competition. $20 was an arbitrary number. The idea is what matters and I'm not sure you understand the idea (if i can come up with something i'll PM you).
I have mcdonalds maybe ten times a year when i'm too high to care or on the road. SuperSize Me was life changing. Blood and Puss.

EDIT: Fair trade is a financial relationship between producers, sellers, and consumers based on the principle of equity within the exchange of goods. Equity is achieved via creating a platform for trade that is transparent and therefore accountable for the just treatment of all producers. This includes providing market avenues that allow marginalized producers the opportunity to sell, ensuring humane working conditions, and all the while protecting environmental and cultural factors that play into the production process. There are nine main principles by which all fair trade abides: create opportunities for marginalized producers, develop transparent relationships, build capacity, promote fair trade, pay promptly and fairly, support empowering working conditions, ensure children’s rights, cultivate environmental stewardship, and respect cultural identity.[1] It focuses in particular on exports from developing countries to developed countries, most notably handicrafts, coffee, cocoa, sugar, tea, bananas, honey, cotton, wine, fresh fruit, chocolate, flowers and gold. The practice of fair trade places the communities involved in both selling and buying products as the primary focus, attempting to create a partnership which is beneficial to both parties.

Seems like your are living in some sort of dream land where everything is perfect and all people are taken care of. If cannabis ever becomes a commodity, it will be just that. A little sun, a little dirt, a little water. The farmers in the marijuana industry are backed by some of the most ridiculous markups. Those guys out there farming tomatoes, potatoes, corn.... etc will gladly throw some pot on their parcels and grow just as good of stuff.

Come on brosef. The point of this thread is to keep those farmers from ruining local communities with a severe drop in price. please get back to the topic. No one is even debating what you are saying. reread the first few posts.
If i have bigger dreams than you or wilder ones or whatever then so be it. If you are here to say you have a different dream, start your own thread. Dreams, goals, lifetimes all start somewhere. This one, for me, starts here.

mule420

When you buy machined trimmed weed you better buy some dry sift or bubblehash along with it,,, that's where the tricombs from the buds went...
I trade trim work with my patients and we split up the profits of what we make out of the trim, bubble hash, canna oil, canna butter.

Just my 2 cents I think hand trimmed should cost more these days... however Ive been smoking and growing for 28+ years so Ive seen pot do nothing but go up in price :)

Baba Ku

Veteran
Maybe you can figure out how to exploit illegal immigrants to keep labor costs low, and bottom line up? Mexican girls bout 16-17....you could tell folks buds were trimmed by virgins who only eat organic maize and drank goats milk from golden chalices. That's gotta boost the bottom line.

The fair trade (aka barter) system is of a day long gone, and only works in communes and band camp.

The consumer will decide all of this, and there is nothing to do about it but react. That is how the world of trade works. And at this point, the consumer could possibly see a change in paradigm that could indeed increase demand, but other unforeseen things could actually lessen demand by the consumer. Especially when growers try to manipulate prices to suit their former lifestyles (pre-legal) and the consumer reacts. And I know for a fact that there is a LARGE number of folks who will simply throw a few bucks down on some lights and grow bags, rather than get raped by overzealous bud peddlers with their organic hooks. When there is no more worry about the law taking your shit, then folks will grow their own on a much larger scale that it is being done now. Growing pot is but a minuscule minority of folks in the US, CA included. That will change fast with any meaningful change of legislation. And that aspect of the whole thing alone will greatly effect the price point of pot.

The consumer will grow into whatever comes about, and all to be done is react to it.

R

Rabbi Reefer

I like the comparison to wineries. There will be great tasty smoke from areas comparable to Napa Valley, and there will be bulk crap from the likes of Gallo.

The fair trade (aka barter) system is of a day long gone, and only works in communes and band camp.

I would read the rest of what you wrote but this (^^^^) proves you are woefully inept at talking about this. Starbucks and the Coffee business have a working model for this practice. It is not the barter system.

please read the link above on Fair Trade. Learn what it is and get back with us.

You original economic point is correct and i agree with it. But it is an oversimplification of the issue. You don't need to explain it or elaborate on it. You are right. Please don't pollute the thread anymore.

Baba Ku

Veteran
It is obvious that you failed to take classes involving these items, so even though you find me an inept thread polluter, I can assure you that there is still oxygen out here...and you can pull out anytime and breath. It HAS to be stuffy and stink like hell in there.
And I would imagine quite uncomfortable...but then I have been surprised before by what some people get off on...
:dunno:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Don't get me wrong...I do not want the prices to stay high....and I would not pay $5-6 thousand for a pound of anything...nor will I charge that--
I just don't see a big drop in price coming...at least not for several years-- Eventually, yeah....but not right away--:tiphat:

I agree.

It will be a LONG time before it is mainstreamed enough for it to matter. I'm in shit hole louisiana where there will not be legalized pot for quite a while to come. I had to quit growing after Katrina and I've been forced to buy excess medical cali bud. 90% of what I smoke is illegally smuggled "medical" weed.

Regardless of if Cali legalizes, the other states aren't going to follow suit immediately, so any union stamped, or "mega grow" type pot would be in a lot of trouble if it showed up in New Orleans in large shipments. There are too many things in the way of the mega producers to make them corner the market in such a short time.

Lots of pot is sold in california, no doubt, but the market is still based primarily on it going to places that are still illegal. There is safety in numbers so to speak, and if large producers stepped up they would be shut down by feds for sending stuff to other states, where the majority of the market is.

Its not going to be until other states get tired of spending their own money fighting an unstoppable smuggling nuisance, and meanwhile they'll see Cali recouping all the benefits of the other states problems. Then other states will decide they want in on all that money instead of it all going illegally back to cali, and laundered into legit money the state can profit off of. That'll take time, no doubt.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
LOL I just re-read this thread WHY WHY WHY would you want to keep pot priced high ?? lol for whom??? would you want this for ?? LOL?? THE SICK?? THE GOV? THE DEALERS? THE GROWERS? WHO? FFS? don't we want the pot prices to come down?? lol lol.. and still be killer bud for all?? am I missing something here>???????peace out Headband707

not prohibition high. The titles is "to keep prices from deflating rapidly."

I'm not trying to keep them artificially high but i would legitimately pay more in a legal market for these things.

Sure. i'll grow my own but i'll never be able to grow as well as someone who grows one strain and perfects it. Say, Tom Hill's Haze or something. Or if Sam moved back to Cali and grew his myriad of skunks under the sun. Not too mention all the mom and pops... cmon I hope i'm wrong. but these people are about to take a severe pinch in the pocket. I see these people as the forefathers of the movement. The people who kept it going.
These people can implement terroir as a market standard and impact the world. I want Nepalese hash right next to Organic Mendo Purps. I want that market choice. I want to be able to buy Thai Sticks from Thailand, where i know that the farmer is sharing profit with the seller. I want to improve the world with pot.

Do you see the bigger picture? Its not about numbers its about empowerment.

E

el dub

I've only read a few pages of this thread...

There is really no way we can stop the overall price of ganja from falling (or rising). There are too many market forces at play. Anyone who feels differently hasn't studied economics much or really even thought this through, imo.

On the other hand, individual growers will prolly still be able to find a market niche for their product based on quality and other factors that allow for higher than average profit margins.

lw

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
not prohibition high. The titles is "to keep prices from deflating rapidly."

I'm not trying to keep them artificially high but i would legitimately pay more in a legal market for these things.

Sure. i'll grow my own but i'll never be able to grow as well as someone who grows one strain and perfects it. Say, Tom Hill's Haze or something. Or if Sam moved back to Cali and grew his myriad of skunks under the sun. Not too mention all the mom and pops... cmon I hope i'm wrong. but these people are about to take a severe pinch in the pocket. I see these people as the forefathers of the movement. The people who kept it going.
These people can implement terroir as a market standard and impact the world. I want Nepalese hash right next to Organic Mendo Purps. I want that market choice. I want to be able to buy Thai Sticks from Thailand, where i know that the farmer is sharing profit with the seller. I want to improve the world with pot.

Do you see the bigger picture? Its not about numbers its about empowerment.

Do you drink wine? Are you familiar with the genetic makeup of the worlds wine? Less than ten grapes, four dominant ones i believe. i'll google it. hold on

Well I can't see how $9998.00 per lb is low?? I mean call me crazy but I could make a pretty penny in just one year down there LOL LOL LOL.. Hey I have smoked that bud and no way no how it's worth that much lol lol ,, it's not even hand tiimmed lol lol..bra....I heard that Good Karma is opening up a collective there in Cali and he is going to make the prices right finally with some sweet gear!!! Finally !!! good man !!!!peace out Headband707:artist:

I've only read a few pages of this thread...

There is really no way we can stop the overall price of ganja from falling (or rising). There are too many market forces at play. Anyone who feels differently hasn't studied economics much or really even thought this through, imo.

On the other hand, individual growers will prolly still be able to find a market niche for their product based on quality and other factors that allow for higher than average profit margins.

lw

So you think that growers can influence niche markets but you don't think smokers, a much larger group, can influence it? Sounds like standard supply side economics. Your whole post is a contradiction.

you ever heard of a boycott?

smh.
please stop with the nonsensical stuff, really, please. Start a keynes thread or something.