What's new

Ideas For Keeping Pot Prices from Deflating Rapidly

Ideas For Keeping Pot Prices from Deflating Rapidly

• Total voters

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
There will always be ppl that need cannabis but are unable to grow it just like there are ppl that can't grow their own food now. But ppl aren't stupid ,push them into a corner and they will find a way. Charging outragous prices for cannabis is enough for ppl to try to grow their own and see if they can. Who wants to pay a dealer if you don't have to anyways? If it only costs me $70.00 to grow an oz. why should I give that to anyone else? Enough with all this BS being played about how good all the breeders and seeds are aswell ,we might be potheads but were not morons.. We do bring this shit home and grow it and then get kicked off boards right quick for talking about it LOL peace out Headband707

Baba Ku

Veteran
So you think that growers can influence niche markets but you don't think smokers, a much larger group, can influence it? Sounds like standard supply side economics. Your whole post is a contradiction.

you ever heard of a boycott?

smh.
please stop with the nonsensical stuff, really, please. Start a keynes thread or something.
Let's talk serious here...and I know you feel you have been dead up serious, but the thing is you have a few things...well, many things, completely screwed up in your head.
This is a serious topic that could be discussed intelligently, and without it just floating away into obscurity, or closed once you have pissed enough people off. And by that I mean that it doesn't come off real well when folks start telling others how to act, what to say, and what threads they should and should not participate in.
See, this is an open forum and IMO I will spout off in any and/or all of your threads, in any fashion or at any time I choose.

Instead of trying to label others posts, perhaps you should do some real analyzing of your own material? You scoff at what was posted by el dub and call it contradictory, yet I doubt you could clearly explain what you mean, because there was no contradictions made that I read.
The only friggen contradiction was when you added your little line about him starting a keynes thread. That right there tells me you are simply confused. And you will need to be a bit more clear about things, especially economics, before you start spouting off to other people about such a topic. It is clear you are clueless on the subject. However, if you simply let others join in...without you trying to be the bandleader of the thread (ok, we know it's "your" thread sheesh) and actually trying to grasp what others are trying to tell you.

Supply side economics is something you should really grab a hold of and completely have an understanding of. It would help you to see the real picture...be it with cannabis or any other marketable good or service. Find a title or two written by Art Laffler, and become educated. You will find no references in the affirmative concerning keynsian issues there.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Guys don't used word I don't know LOL

Guys don't used word I don't know LOL

Keynesian economics (pronounced /ˈkeɪnziən/, also called Keynesianism and Keynesian theory) is a macroeconomic theory based on the ideas of 20th century British economist John Maynard Keynes. Keynesian economics argues that private sector decisions sometimes lead to inefficient macroeconomic outcomes and therefore advocates active policy responses by the public sector, including monetary policy actions by the central bank and fiscal policy actions by the government to stabilize output over the business cycle.[1] The theories forming the basis of Keynesian economics were first presented in The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money, published in 1936; the interpretations of Keynes are contentious, and several schools of thought claim his legacy.
Keynesian economics advocates a mixed economy—predominantly private sector, but with a large role of government and public sector—and served as the economic model during the latter part of the Great Depression, World War II, and the post-war economic expansion (1945–1973), though it lost some influence following the stagflation of the 1970s. The advent of the global financial crisis in 2007 has caused a resurgence in Keynesian thought. The former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, former President of the United States George W. Bush, President of the United States Barack Obama, and other world leaders have used Keynesian economics through government stimulus programs to attempt to assist the economic state of their countries.[2]

E

el dub

binary: I'm getting the impression that you have more passion on this subject than knowledge.

I believe individual growers can EXPLOIT a market niche far easier than individual buyers can influence through boycott.

lw

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
There is not enough cohesiveness in any of these groups to bind and work. Everyone is looking in a direction that works for them and that is normal but it doesn't help the sick and those are the ppl that are the most effected by this theaco of capitalism versus medicine. It's all well and good to talk the talk but to walk the walk is another story and for that it takes money and time and effort . Things ppl don't have to give atleast not freely without wanting or needing somthing in return and rightly so . The question is how much . We can talk all we want on these boards but the truth is that it's as hard as it comes to help ppl . Just go out and help freely without wanting anything in return. Feels great but in this business it's still hard.Look at Joeshmoe he is in jail for sending seeds accross the boarder . Now I'm sure he thought he was just helping ppl too. Mostly you just want to help the sick .How can that be wrong? why even fight about it ? One thing I know from the bottom of my heart is that cannabis calms you down and makes you mellow, unlike alcohol... You would think the cops would want this?? Seems strange to me that they would prefer you to be drunk over stoned and so would your doctors. Who the fuck are these ppl? It's freaky that they are incharge and they are so wrong and there doesn't seem to be much we can do to stop this BS..peace out Headband707

Last edited:
E

el dub

Btw....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the OP questioning ways to keep ganja prices from falling too far?

If so, does that mean he's advocating the boycott of producers who charge too little for their wares? j/k

lw

E

el dub

quote from headband's post above: ....and other world leaders have used Keynesian economics through government stimulus programs to attempt to assist the economic state......

Hum..... A growers stimulus package, perhaps?

lw

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
So you think that growers can influence niche markets but you don't think smokers, a much larger group, can influence it? Sounds like standard supply side economics. Your whole post is a contradiction.

you ever heard of a boycott?

smh.
please stop with the nonsensical stuff, really, please. Start a keynes thread or something.

trying to apply traditional economic models to the marijuana business is an exercise in futility.

who is going to be boycotted? all growers? or only MJ handled by certain brokers? or do you boycott at the retail level?

E

el dub

Certain traditional economic concepts will always be valid, no matter what the product. The influence of supply and price by demand for example....

lw

C

Carl Carlson

I wonder what's going to happen.

Everyone knows the State of California needs a bailout from the Federal Government.

The state budget deal passed in the beginning of October is contingent on $5 billion from the U.S. Treasury.

When the U.S. Congress wanted the state legislatures to raise their drinking age to 21, they threatened to withhold highway funding...And yes, it worked. And no, the economy wasn't half as bad then as it is now.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
supply and demand becomes variegated as with the wine industry...

there is a different supply for wild irish rose than there is for a box of gallow than there is for a margaux...

supply of what vs demand for what..
not to mention if the supply is less than demand there is the option of growing your own supply to meet your demand...

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think people from Cali sometimes forget there's the rest of the US and world out there. The smart people are going to get their quality bud out of the State where it's still going to be worth as much or more than what they are getting in State.....

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
I think people from Cali sometimes forget there's the rest of the US and world out there. The smart people are going to get their quality bud out of the State where it's still going to be worth as much or more than what they are getting in State.....

QFT

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
you want to stop pot prices from deflating? keep it illegal and fund more groups to fight against it. that should get us and extra 1-2k per bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el dub View Post
I've only read a few pages of this thread...

There is really no way we can stop the overall price of ganja from falling (or rising). There are too many market forces at play. Anyone who feels differently hasn't studied economics much or really even thought this through, imo.

On the other hand, individual growers will prolly still be able to find a market niche for their product based on quality and other factors that allow for higher than average profit margins.

lw

Saying market forces will decide in the first paragraph as a response to any of the suggestions in the thread, is saying they (the suggestions) won't work. If they won't work then how can the second paragraph be true? How can an individual make a difference in the market but a group of individuals can't?

How can one grower make a difference? If a large group can't?

I'm sorry but i call that a contradiction. It sounds like supply side economics. I don't believe in this or in keynes and I'm not trying to apply either to this matter.

Empirical evidence. wholesale price has gone down and is continuing to go down. Look at the linked post above.
Empirical Evidence. Terroir helped the "traditional" wine industry to protect itself from outside forces seeking to effectively destroy their way of life by mass producing crap and calling it the same as the traditional stuff. Terroir is a market strategy to protect traditional and small time producers in geographical hot spots. Monsanto can't buy up all of Humboldt. Or all of southern France. Or Hawaii.

@dagnabit. boycott was an example of a consumer driven action that had market impact. No one is suggesting anyone boycott anything. Just using it as an example.

@JJScorpio - I'm not so sure. Methinks that since the Commerce clause is the foundation of what the Gov uses to keep cannabis illegal; they will be going after anyone and everyone who even thinks about transporting over state lines, assuming Prop 19 passes. On top of that wholesale prices in Cali are going down. If even a couple of the Oakland Mega Grows get up and running, there is going to be a bunch of extra stuff. Or if the Valley gets involved on a horticultural level.

@Carl Carlson. - I like they way you think.

@BabaKu - I'm abrasive. get over it. And I see what people are trying to say I just don't agree. I addressed the contradiction in LW's post above. Seems clear as day. You can't say nothing will work and then say something will, well you can, but I'm gonna call b.s. in this thread at least.

@AeroGuerilla and anyone else on the greed tip. Read the title of the thread. Second, I'm not trying to keep it at prohibition prices. But in a legal market what do you want a lb of someone's life work to go for? If its from Humboldt, or the Hindu Kush Mountain Ranges or Hash from Nepal, and certified as such buy Us (the consumer) not them (the government or anything else) I'ld pay Thousands of dollars. I can;t see paying more than 3200 for the supreme, "organic-vegan-headbang" (lulz). Hash could vary.

EX: Rosebud. Breeder steve said terrible yield AMAZING high. How much would you pay for a lb of that on the legal commercial market? same for Hash made from the same plant? I wish Cristal was cheaper but its not. Terroir has a direct impact on that price. Its called creating uniqueness.

off to the beach.

Baba Ku

Veteran
There is really no way we can stop the overall price of ganja from falling (or rising).
This was the answer to your original question. It is also where you missed the addition of the words in parenthesis that blows your contradiction stuff out of the water.
On the other hand, individual growers will prolly still be able to find a market niche for their product based on quality and other factors that allow for higher than average profit margins.
This has always been true as well. The best stuff gets the best money. And the consumer ultimately dictates where that best money range is.
It will most assuredly be just above the price range of the lesser quality product.
The producer can set his price wherever he wants to, but at the end of the day he will only be able to see his good consumed when the pricing is in line with what the market will bear.

Marketing is one of the market forces that effect the price of goods. All the terrior bullshit is nothing but snake oil marketing...but more power to you if you can sell that. It could effect the price point if you could sell the concept. Thing is, you won't be able to sell that concept with cannabis like you can with grape vineyards. The difference you would try to sell the consumer is not a discernible thing, as cannabis is far to diverse from pheno to pheno. If they bought it, it would only be the marketing bullshit they bought.

E

el dub

Right on Baba Ku.

I really don't understand the OP's comments concerning my input, but I do understand the point Baba Ku is making and he seems to understand what I'm trying to get across.

lw

E

el dub

Btw, I have a degree in marketing management and over 10 years experience in the wine industry.

lw

johnnyla

Veteran
it won't go below $1000 per lb unless it's legalized nationally. so big deal. grow a bunch of 4lbers outside. i can see why someone with a 400 watt cab is whining as they aren't going to be selling their friends 1/8ths anymore as it will be cheaper to buy it or grow it in the sun, which you can once it's legal.