What's new

Ideas For Keeping Pot Prices from Deflating Rapidly

Ideas For Keeping Pot Prices from Deflating Rapidly

• Total voters
On Felons - could this not be part of the community pressure of fair trade cannabis. Felons are people too. We all know this. Are you willing to boycot people who won't hire felons? I doubt it. (just playing devil's advocate.)

On terroir - does anyone understand this? I keep hearing qaulity over quantity argumnets. SMall batch stuff. DO you guys not realize that you can make your outdoor, i repeat OUTDOOR, harvests worth more by including this info.

Different Valleys in the same county provide for different wine. Lets take advantage of this people. who's with me?

who's against me? ;) lets get some dialogue happening!!

On money and guns- people kill people. nuff said.

@Darko- word. You guys should really be pushing for this. If the world's 8th largest economy, California, legalizes, then you chaps should throw a fit. Germany is poised to duplicate the system. They see the potential. This is a HUGE DEAL.

The world's 4th and 8th largest economies are recognizing the merit of MMJ for all people in the same year. I would call this momentum.

PEACE

:bump:

:bump:

some simple "research" to think about. makes some of these topics easier to talk about. for me atleast. :)

Terroir (French pronunciation: [tɛʁwaʁ]) comes from the word terre "land". It was originally a French term in wine, coffee and tea used to denote the special characteristics that geography bestowed upon particular varieties. Agricultural sites in the same region share similar soil, weather conditions, and farming techniques, which all contribute to the unique qualities of the crop. It can be very loosely translated as "a sense of place," which is embodied in certain characteristic qualities, the sum of the effects that the local environment has had on the manufacture of the product. Terroir is often italicized in English writing to show that it is a French loanword. The concept of terroir is at the base of the French wine Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) system that has been the model for appellation and wine laws across the globe. At its core is the assumption that the land from which the grapes are grown imparts a unique quality that is specific to that region. The amount of influence and the scope that falls under the description of terroir has been a controversial topic in the wine industry.

Apellation-An appellation is a legally defined and protected geographical indication used to identify where the grapes for a wine were grown; other types of food often have appellations as well. Restrictions other than geographical boundaries, such as what grapes may be grown, maximum grape yields, alcohol level, and other quality factors, may also apply before an appellation name may legally appear on a wine bottle label. The rules that govern appellations are dependent on the country in which the wine was produced.

I had no idea this existed.Thank you wikipedia. American Viticultural AreaAn American Viticultural Area is a designated wine grape-growing region in the United States distinguishable by geographic features, with boundaries defined by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), United States Department of the Treasury.[1] The TTB defines AVAs at the request of wineries and other petitioners. There were 198 AVAs as of January, 2010.[2] Prior to the installation of the AVA system, wine appellations of origin in the United States were designated based on state or county boundaries. All of these appellations were grandfathered into federal law and may appear on wine labels as designated places of origin, but these appellations are distinct from AVAs.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Who needs hand picked, hand trimmed when you've got one of these to harvest your crops.
johndeere_stshillmaster.jpg

I honestly think MJ will end up like the dutch tulip.

ME ME ME, I DO , I DO , I DO :artist:LOL LOL LOL,,,, I hate those machines I would rather not use them they fuck with the trichomes..:jump:

ibjamming

Veteran
some simple "research" to think about. makes some of these topics easier to talk about. for me atleast. :)

Terroir (French pronunciation: [tɛʁwaʁ]) comes from the word terre "land". It was originally a French term in wine, coffee and tea used to denote the special characteristics that geography bestowed upon particular varieties. Agricultural sites in the same region share similar soil, weather conditions, and farming techniques, which all contribute to the unique qualities of the crop. It can be very loosely translated as "a sense of place," which is embodied in certain characteristic qualities, the sum of the effects that the local environment has had on the manufacture of the product. Terroir is often italicized in English writing to show that it is a French loanword. The concept of terroir is at the base of the French wine Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) system that has been the model for appellation and wine laws across the globe. At its core is the assumption that the land from which the grapes are grown imparts a unique quality that is specific to that region. The amount of influence and the scope that falls under the description of terroir has been a controversial topic in the wine industry.

Apellation-An appellation is a legally defined and protected geographical indication used to identify where the grapes for a wine were grown; other types of food often have appellations as well. Restrictions other than geographical boundaries, such as what grapes may be grown, maximum grape yields, alcohol level, and other quality factors, may also apply before an appellation name may legally appear on a wine bottle label. The rules that govern appellations are dependent on the country in which the wine was produced.

I had no idea this existed.Thank you wikipedia. American Viticultural AreaAn American Viticultural Area is a designated wine grape-growing region in the United States distinguishable by geographic features, with boundaries defined by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), United States Department of the Treasury.[1] The TTB defines AVAs at the request of wineries and other petitioners. There were 198 AVAs as of January, 2010.[2] Prior to the installation of the AVA system, wine appellations of origin in the United States were designated based on state or county boundaries. All of these appellations were grandfathered into federal law and may appear on wine labels as designated places of origin, but these appellations are distinct from AVAs.

If you can convince people there is enough differences between the Cannabis grown in different regions...it would be a cool thing. I'm not so sure there is.

Remember, this is like no other commercial crop. Every other I know of requires fertilization...Cannabis is ruined by fertilization. I can't see being able to keep large tracts isolated. You could ruin a whole crop by releasing pollen from a male on a windy day.

Indoors will be where the connoisseur smoke will come from.

If you can convince people there is enough differences between the Cannabis grown in different regions...it would be a cool thing. I'm not so sure there is.

Remember, this is like no other commercial crop. Every other I know of requires fertilization...Cannabis is ruined by fertilization. I can't see being able to keep large tracts isolated. You could ruin a whole crop by releasing pollen from a male on a windy day.

Indoors will be where the connoisseur smoke will come from.

Indoors can always be duplicated. This means that in a true legalized market your "connoisseur indoor" will be copied/cloned and devalued.

You can't devalue the land, climate, air. This is an argument that has historical precedent; wine and cheese to some extent. The sun and the air, the unique sweet spots of the world are what produce the world's greatest produce. They fight very hard to make sure that wine is labeled accordingly to the region it was produced. This rarity/exclusivity is what keeps the prices profitable and the product from being "cloned".

As for males, I get seedless outdoor all the time. from Cali, Colorado, Appalachians, Mexico. Sure a male can seed a field but destroying males isn't rocket science. I doubt it will stop a billion dollar business. lol

And cannabis is ruined by fertilization? where have you been living mang? There is empirical proof for fertilized/nutrient fed pot being potent. We also have excellent organic pot; still fertilized just differently.

And lastly, go drink some wine or some coffee or eat some cheese. They are all dependent on specific growing regions (certain caves for the cheese) to produce the highest quality merchandise. It doesn't matter if you can taste the difference, millions of folks around the world can. And if nothing else you can profit off of it.

Honestly, who hasn't heard a "retailer" say: this is cali bud. Even if you haven't heard it directly you have seen it in a movie or heard it in a song. Acapulco Gold, Thai Sticks, Lebanon Blond, et cetera et cetera.

ITS ALREADY HAPPENING. Open your eyes and get on board.

ibjamming

Veteran
I guess it's just me binary...I don't fall for that shit. I'm not a follower. That's why I ALWAYS miss fads...and the profits associated with them...because I'm not a follower of them.

As for "ruined", it's a relative term...most connoisseurs here would agree with me that seeded weed is ruined weed. When legalized, every 3rd house will have a plant or two in the back yard...half of those will be spitting out pollen...

I'm not arguing it couldn't happen...it just may.

I was thinking more along the lines of beer companies running fields of "OK" weed that a joint will give you a "beer buzz" and then the "hard" companies like Johnny Walker selling primo bud in little cases...with different grades...red, black, green, blue, like their whiskey. All grown in greenhouses to ensure the finest quality.

We can dream...

I was thinking more along the lines of beer companies running fields of "OK" weed that a joint will give you a "beer buzz" and then the "hard" companies like Johnny Walker selling primo bud in little cases...with different grades...red, black, green, blue, like their whiskey. All grown in greenhouses to ensure the finest quality.

We can dream...

we have the same dream of weed grown by the sun. (you contradicted yourself boss. I would consider greenhouse weed outdoor. I consider the sun on your bud outdoor.)

Also, who cares about back yard pollen.... Its not a significant issue now in the Triangle where backyards are literally filled with females. Not every house but multiple places with multiple grows on the block; in the area.

Lastly, what are you talking about with the follower crap? Are you a hermit? completely devoid of any urban media in your life for the last decade? Do you know who Snoop Dogg is? if you do, then you know what "cali weed" is.
smh. Pass me with that ignorance due to aloofness crap.

@TruthorLIe - thats laughable. Supply will with out a doubt increase. Just the single 60,000 sq ft grow in Oakland will influence the market. Now envision post 19 passage with a million other home growers not going to the "street" to buy. This will happen. I don't think any logical folks are debating it. Prop 19 may not increase the volume of pot reaching the market but it will influence the demand on that volume regardless of its size. this will distort price. Considering the mega grows, I'm guessing price goes down. It has for the past few years.
My comparison is this: organic produce. With its popularity more people are growing and eating it. But proportionally way more are just eating.

:blowbubbles:

Baba Ku

Veteran
In a free market, the consumer sets the price. And it is the consumer who drives all issues ultimately. Including deciding if the standards suppliers are utilizing are good enough or not.
It is the consumer that is the catalyst for all facets of free market capitalism. The suppliers react or fall to the wayside. It is no more complicated than that.

In a free market, the consumer sets the price. And it is the consumer who drives all issues ultimately. Including deciding if the standards suppliers are utilizing are good enough or not.
It is the consumer that is the catalyst for all facets of free market capitalism. The suppliers react or fall to the wayside. It is no more complicated than that.

you are correct. thank you for over simplifying.

you live and die. why are you here?

kuk

why are any of us here? its a question not even dawkns or hawkings knows

my theory is very similar to billy connelys, i found after his theory from where the fuck everything came from, and why it came from.

look at how an atom has positive and negative neutrons spinning round

just like planets

no-one knows and has even the remotest, plausable explanation yet

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran

Is that why every year, at about Harvest time...Cali is dry as fuck...allowing those who have excess stuff left..to get rid of it...BEFORE the Market gets flooded with the new harvests??
Most Products, like foods and such, will simply move on to an alternative, if the Market gets too crazy--
But Cannabis...there is no alternative-- The Market will bear the price...so the price shall stand--
Not enough ppl are willing or able to grow their own...so I don't see the price dropping significantly-- In this Industry, I feel the Grower's call the shots--:tiphat:

Toyot4

I know i would invest in a big ol greenhouse in mendo if i thought the prices would be at even 500/lb, but i dont see that happening. Prices just won't be able to stay where they are without exporting all the product to other parts of the country.

Shit is a plant, once the actually farming community gets in on the $, its game over.

EDIT: To respond to the poll question. I honestly would not buy something that said hand trimmed on it... that is assuming that the non hand trimmed product is of the same quality. Just because someone paid 20/hr to someone to trim their harvest does not mean they should recieve higher compensation for their product. Because as a end consumer, i could honestly give a shit less about anything but price in regards to quality. If the quality is higher for the price, then we are talking a whole new ballgame

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
where do I sign up to GET the price of pot to deflate rapidly?

The culture sure changed a lot huh? From being about good cheap pot for everybody, to greedy elitists hoarding wares.

Call me old school.

Baba Ku

Veteran
The growers only call the shots as of now, because cannabis is not part of the free market. It is clandestine black market goods...for now.
Once subjected to the same pressures as all other items traded on the free market, the consumer will be king. Less than fully commercialized operations will only be valid for niche markets.

Aint it the truth, motoco...aint it the truth.

I remember when $30-$40 was the range on an once of pot. Fat sack full of red or gold bud. Kind brothers gave an extra few pinches to make up for seeds.
Normally all QP's would run $115 tops.
This pricing level stayed in place for several years.
Nobody was getting rich, and nobody was getting killed over pot.
IMO the paradigm shift was when they brought in the indica.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
The growers only call the shots as of now, because cannabis is not part of the free market. It is clandestine black market goods...for now.
Once subjected to the same pressures as all other items traded on the free market, the consumer will be king. Less than fully commercialized operations will only be valid for niche markets.

Aint it the truth, motoco...aint it the truth.

I remember when $30-$40 was the range on an once of pot. Fat sack full of red or gold bud. Kind brothers gave an extra few pinches to make up for seeds.
Normally all QP's would run $115 tops.
This pricing level stayed in place for several years.
Nobody was getting rich, and nobody was getting killed over pot.
IMO the paradigm shift was when they brought in the indica.

I remember that too!!
And Gasoline was 35 cents a gallon...candy bars at Alpha Beta were 7 cents!!
And now, Gas is 300% more...but weed should remain the same...Right??

Latest posts

Latest posts