What's new

Hotboxes attempt at PPK/Vert

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Enjoying the show bro..:rtfo::lurk:
Like your picking system. Seems to be working in your favor...
Dig the chicken wire trellis as well..
I know how ya feel trying to get a better bud shot with what ya got on hand..
For me.. Though about buying a camera-but- figured spend the $ the ladies 1st amd maybe grow somethin worth taking a picture of..lol

Dont worry about the pic quality as im sure most people here have tken the same type pictures and can see through the haze...

----- :alien::ying::alien: -----

N

noyd666

:biggrin: d9 ,hot box, this pot has to be same princible does it not? as a ppk?

Last edited:
N

noyd666

pot.

pot.

:biggrin: yes alian it is a cactus, i' was talking about the pot mate.:peek:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

it may or may not be depending on where they set an overflow level. i hadn't seen that one until you posted it in the ppk thread and don't know anything about it.

but if they use a conventional potting mix like a peat based commercial potting soil in it they will have a perched water table of about 2 inches.

just to remove that from the root zone would require at least two inches of tube protruding. but the bottom of the root zone would still be in contact with a solid body of water if the lower container part were full of water and there would be no air gap until evaporation and transpiration create one.

i'm not sure but it looks like they thought about using it as a wick to protract the time between feeding the plant only and not as a drain to remove the perched water table. the tube doesn't look long enough to have an air gap plus the depth necessary to maintain a hydraulic connection and still have adequate water to make the effort worthwhile.

if you look through patents and applications for different container designs you will see all sorts of attempts to limit the perched water table. usually container permutations like tesselated sides or indentations in the bottom like spike shapes or mounds. tall shapes. tapered shapes. all in a container that will sit upright on a shelf.

then you see a bunch of designs that aim to increase the time between watering events by one method or another.

but you won't find any that i know of that intentionally do both.

do you have a brand name for that pot? i would like to look it up.

editing to add that it looks like it could be turned into a full on ppk real easy with a bigger bottom container and an extension on the tube. automate the watering. is it still in production? you might have to plug some holes if there are any.

Last edited:
N

noyd666

yes delta9nxs, hope im not in your face here hotboxes, name is decore australia. they have been outside for over 15 years with cactus in them, waswalking past when i thought they have to be a similer devise, one there is longer with two fill ups. i just hit them with the hose now and again, but i think they work best if bottom container kept topped up.

D

DaveTheNewbie

ive had a few of these, used to use them, never had any luck
what i was doing wrong is top feeding them, then letting the bottom wick up over the new week, then top feeding again.
apparently your supposed to feed the tube so its always bottom fed.

i think i asked the same thing a few pages back

hotboxes

hope im not in your face here hotboxes.

Not at all noyd, I like a good conversation or debate whatever. Like you said it is relevant to the topic and has similarities to the PPK so hell yeah. The only thing I really won't like are arguments over strains and legitimacy, notice I don't say what breeder the Plants are from. So you could call me a good for nothing, piece of crap, no growing skilled wanker if you want, I don't care but please no fighting over strains and where they come from :)

hotboxes

Looking good boxes, looking good.

You building out the rest of your PPKs yet?

Convinced?

Thanks IM for stopping in, I am definitely convinced. I will be putting another PPK module in for another run till june after that I pack everything up till sept. and then go from sept. till june the next year I cannot and will not compete with summer heat.Plus it gives me a chance to get everything cleaned and modified and ready for the next season. Also I am taking a 3 week trip out to colorado,vegas, and cali, from the second week in june till the first week of july a much needed vacation so when I come back from that I will be moving into a new spot and starting a 4 room flip flop all PPK's pulling a room every 3 weeks on average. This system is giving me a reason to get my shit together and blow it up. I would like to be out west by 2015by my 40th Birthday thanks again man for swinging by always appreciated my friend

hotboxes

ive had a few of these, used to use them, never had any luck
what i was doing wrong is top feeding them, then letting the bottom wick up over the new week, then top feeding again.
apparently your supposed to feed the tube so its always bottom fed.

i think i asked the same thing a few pages back

Yeah Dave the bottom needs to be controlled food wise to sustain plant life, run-off isn't enough to sustain a plants needs. That is kind of my concern with bobbles floatvalve idea but who am I to say anything thats why I don't really post over there, there is more than enough knowledgeable folk over there to guide him in his venture. I always say if it looks like a PPK and sounds like a PPK it must be a PPK so just call it that :)

BTW I am glad you are enjoying your new PPK and your finally going to enjoy the magical mystery of this system it will give you the time you need to get your environment in line:)

hotboxes

Ok I been thinking about what I want to try and Grow next. I will probably be throwing an order together for a couple packs for the beginning of the fall season and I know there are some of you on here that have run thousands of different seeds and strains. I am going to list a few that I have been thinking of and maybe some of you can chyme in on any suggestions or thoughts from experience.

OGR- WiFi, fire alien strawberry
Karma-sour jack
Rez-chemdawgIBL,cv1.1?,chem sour d
Connoiseur-Conn. Chem, strwberry dogshit,grateful casey(if I can find it), and the og chem
HOL-caseys queen,4way diesel, midnight madness
Fract.gen-straw.diesel kush,straw. dieself3
there is a few more but I will add them when I remember lol thanks in advance to anyone that can help a brotha out

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
ATTACK OF THE TWISTED PPKVERTS!

it really doesn't matter what it's called as long as the principles are recognized and applied and it helps folks reliably produce enough to meet their needs.

i can see a totally passive version being mass produced and air dropped with seeds and cartoons showing how to use it for third world areas where famine is prevalent.

all nestable, stack-able, lightweight, recycled plastic.

the cartoons show media options for the specific area. fertilizer included in the package but instructions on locally available materials also.

giving a starving person food is first. then the long term solution is teaching them a way to grow their own under difficult environmental conditions.

or, fuck it, just sent them a set of samsonite and a plane ticket!

hotboxes

it really doesn't matter what it's called as long as the principles are recognized and applied and it helps folks reliably produce enough to meet their needs.

i can see a totally passive version being mass produced and air dropped with seeds and cartoons showing how to use it for third world areas where famine is prevalent.

the cartoons show media options for the specific area. fertilizer included in the package but instructions on locally available materials also.

giving a starving person food is first. then the long term solution is teaching them a way to grow their own under difficult environmental conditions.

lol yeah really, but its true you could virtually use this for that exact reason. as long as you have adequate water source, and food to feed them. It would be possible to set these up on larger scales like beds and grow multiple species of fruit baring plants, where areas are to poor and not able to control big farms people could use them for them selves. I think I will try something like this in the summer outside for some mater plants

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran

:bow::yeahthats:nanana::Bolt:

bloyd

Veteran

I have thought this for a long time now. I envision seeing d9 on the cover of Time magazine some day as the man who solved world hunger with his agricultural ingenuity and frenetic research

Great thread you got here hotboxes.