What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HL45.PPK.1.0 17lightsx2 Sealed with Co2

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
The sat pulses drain out the sides of thin wall fabric pots once you get some puddling from root mass.

Collection basin on the bottom works, but pulse volume has to go way up to make up for side drainage if your goal is full saturation.

Doable... with adequate foresight and pulse-res volumes and delivery systems.

Might be better suited for non-saturation pulsing, where full displacement of old gasses might not be as important as the fabric pots allow direct passive O2 to the RZ.

Kill Shorty shows that methodology works pretty damn okay.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:alien: Things ta think about, thanks...:alien:
---------------:tiphat:------------------

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I still need to draw straws for bho testing but I think Ich won with the best reply.

I strenuously disagree. I offered to come by, as a favor, and relieve you of a couple handsful. As a courtesy to you.

And then, Flower Farmer came in with the nice supporting bit with the whole pooh picture and all.. :shucks:

Sigh

Kicks dirt

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Fabric pots could be used inside of a bucket for a saturation pulse... In case anyone wanted to try. :)

Why not, not waste space (not to mention time, dollars, effort, and yield) filled with air being roots obviously only grow in complete moisture? Not that you mentioned anything about growing plants... seems some cats can get distracted with saterOH HEY LOOK A BUDDERFLY!:ying:

Doable... with adequate foresight and pulse-res volumes and delivery systems.

I understand ya wana be lazy, have a fail proof system, and still somehow prosper, but at what point do ya just say fuck it and see what happens when you fill an empty 5 gallon bucket of water and dump it out as fast as you can you on your plants and then repeat the whole process over, as fast as ya can? FAST WATER ringing any bells?

Might be better suited for non-saturation pulsing, where full displacement of old gasses might not be as important as the fabric pots allow direct passive O2 to the RZ.
Direct Passive LOL2. Your killin me homie! And who knows how many numbers of plants and futures of passionate and persistent people who only give up when their too busy being lazy...

2 Maxi Blumats, Plant started in cubes that will not dry out and a cat can see how the roots react, Medium is a mix of a clay that drains very slowly and has pores which contain oxygen for roots to grow into..AND THEN DIE...and of another medium which drains *gasp* really fast.. This isn't from a PPK because I used a drip pulse, no holes in the bucket besides the top and bottom, and I didn't submerge the tailpiece which totally contradicts it's purpose..

picture.php

Lotta roots for a 1/4# plant eh? Gotta love the paradox of low humidity. I hope that helps some of ya:ying:

bobblehead

Veteran
Why not, not waste space (not to mention time, dollars, effort, and yield) filled with air being roots obviously only grow in complete moisture? Not that you mentioned anything about growing plants... seems some cats can get distracted with saterOH HEY LOOK A BUDDERFLY!:ying:

lol... You're a funny guy... :laughing: what's sater? did you mean satire?

I guarantee I've grown more plants than you ever have. I've had a lot of failures. I've also had well documented successes, like hitting 1gpw. The benefits of air-pots are proven, I don't need to get into that. A #5 SP fits tight in a 5 gallon bucket. There's maybe 1/2" between the bags and the sides of the bucket. I guarantee the plant grown in the #5 SP sitting inside of the bucket grows bigger than the plant grown in the 5 gallon bucket with a few drainage holes, given the SP is irrigated more often since they are going to dry out faster. Works for me anyway...
picture.php

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I strenuously disagree. I offered to come by, as a favor, and relieve you of a couple handsful. As a courtesy to you.

And then, Flower Farmer came in with the nice supporting bit with the whole pooh picture and all.. :shucks:

Sigh

Kicks dirt

Shut the hell up. I will let you test some and get us a box of mad dog to drink with the $25.

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol... A #5 SP fits tight in a 5 gallon bucket. There's maybe 1/2" between the bags and the sides of the bucket. I guarantee the plant grown in the #5 SP sitting inside of the bucket grows bigger than the plant grown in the 5 gallon bucket with a few drainage holes, given the SP is irrigated more often since they are going to dry out faster. Works for me anyway...
View Image

I am going veg 6-10 ladies over the summer months (5 months or so for next seasons grow and I think this is what I was looking for ta do it.
Why didn't I think of this.lol ...so simple...
-- :scripture: -- :respect: --

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Y'all can blame I.F. for my presence here in Vert Ville and PPK land. He turned me on ta the ppk. "You should look into PPKs" lol.
:whee:Hows that goen for ya .. :biggrin:

Thank you Imaginary Friend...:tiphat:

D

DaveTheNewbie

lol... You're a funny guy... :laughing: what's sater? did you mean satire?

i think he meant saturation but got distracted by the budderfly, as we do sometimes.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
unless your rootball looks like this...

attachment.php

and grows big plants the size of a 32 gallon trash cans like this...
attachment.php

You can:moon:

thats from a 3.5 gallon bucket.:tumbleweed:

but the crazy thing is I am gonna grow 42 pounds with these LEDs I found in a vibrating cockring. They only cost 1.75 at the strip club. I will be pulling 3 pounds a watt every 12 weeks.

:laughing:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Vocalized Vulgarities.

Thats exactly what happens.

I quickly grab the shop vac and start cleaning and suck some water out of the Bottom bucket. Then I undo the drain line from the push fitting, blow through it and simultaneously hook the shop vac up to the push fitting while drops of shitstank:moon: are splashing me in the face.

something similar just happened to me as well...just flooded my room with 100 gallons of water and my shop vac takes a SHIT on me...i thought these peices of shit were supposed to suck up water!

anyways rigged a water pump and poly line and drained most of it out..thank god for pond liner.

i spent the last hour removing the remaining water by HAND! with a broom and dustpan, cup by cup, five gal bucket by five gal bucket. covered in shitstank water and everything at 2 in the morning!!

sometimes this game is just cruel!

also that hash is lookin killer...love the bright yellow color and the consistency, when im not covered in shit water im gonna read up on how you did that because i have LBs of trim and shake lying around, getting tired of making shatter.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
something similar just happened to me as well...just flooded my room with 100 gallons of water and my shop vac takes a SHIT on me...i thought these peices of shit were supposed to suck up water!

anyways rigged a water pump and poly line and drained most of it out..thank god for pond liner.

i spent the last hour removing the remaining water by HAND! with a broom and dustpan, cup by cup, five gal bucket by five gal bucket. covered in shitstank water and everything at 2 in the morning!!

sometimes this game is just cruel!

also that hash is lookin killer...love the bright yellow color and the consistency, when im not covered in shit water im gonna read up on how you did that because i have LBs of trim and shake lying around, getting tired of making shatter.

I spilled 325 gallons of ro because of a crappy ball valve on the end of a hose.

Luckily I have two badass growbros and a squeegee the size of a push broom, we were clean in an hour, we did most of it by hand as well.

I know some folks that run linoleum 2' up and turn every room into a giant pool in case of floods.

The hash oil has all been worked into budder and some turned out like crumble.. its all about removing moisture to get the targeted texture.

dry ice keif blown with butane, tastes and smells like sour d so there must be some terpenes in there.

My homie does co2 and butane always tests higher in thc, but the co2 is SOOOO tasty! Im going to experiment in the future with different consistencies of bho and see how they test out. I kinda like the more liquid oily hash, more flavor..When Im whiping it all I smell is sour d, I imagine its mainly terpens that are keeping it so oily, especially after comparing it to co2..

D

DaveTheNewbie

hey man, i have a PPK related Question.

how often / how likely is it that the tailpiece fills with roots to slow draining so that the top bucket floods / overflows?

Thats my main concern now before moving over, and seeing as you grow real sized trees i figured you would know as much as anyone about this.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
hey man, i have a PPK related Question.

how often / how likely is it that the tailpiece fills with roots to slow draining so that the top bucket floods / overflows?

Thats my main concern now before moving over, and seeing as you grow real sized trees i figured you would know as much as anyone about this.

Great question Dave! I actually have gone through all 20 buckets and drilled a hole or two in the bottom of them. 4 have plugged themselves up with roots. Next run I will be drilling drain holes in the bottom of the bucket again. I did it in my previous runs and if you look back there are even some pictures. It didnt effect the performance as far as I could tell, and I didnt have any floods.

FWIW D9 feeds every 2 hours. I feed every hour. It is possible that all I need to do is adjust my feed frequency and I wouldn't overflow.. but I dont like the idea of water taking so long to drain, not when my room is over 80*f...

catman

Veteran
I guarantee I've grown more plants than you ever have. I've had a lot of failures. I've also had well documented successes, like hitting 1gpw.

I don't know why you're being defensive bobble. I know you know plants better inside and out. I know from experience I'm capable of hittin 1gpw with 3-4 plants around a 600, and I'm just curious about actual trees. I've never used a 1k and I've only done two runs with the 600. I do lack a lot of experience so that's why I enjoy picking brains when I can.. Clean setup you got there, but too many plants FOR ME. Thanks for sharing the pic and thoughts as always:ying:

catman, I'm never going to figure you out.

You seem to think my rhetoric is very personal, but as we've talked about before... I'm just interested in systems and growing plants. Some solid pictures would really shutup me, but I don't expect any handouts.

unless your rootball looks like this...
You can:moon:
thats from a 3.5 gallon bucket.
I was not disrespecting your work man. If I wasn't impressed, I wouldn't bother saying anything. Thanks for sharing that rootball pic again, but is it too much to ask for more? Something like the image I have shared...

I've never used more than a single 600 nor have claimed to have grown as big as plants as you, but I don't think that's relevant to the discussion.

I'm not sure how different my root ball would have looked if grown in a smaller container. I do understand that we can grow larger plants in smaller containers as long as the roots are getting what they need...and they'll be needing it more frequently. I'm not interested in any pissing contests... I just be trying to ask for some clarification and so are many others. If nothin else, wishin ya peace and love...I won't be kissing no man's ass:ying:

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
:cathug:
sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way......I wouldnt let you kiss my ass anyway everyone knows cats mouths are disgusting, besides Im more of a canine loving cultivator.

What are you trying to get clarification on?

Catman to be perfectly honest, you dont grow enough bugs for me to trust you. I feel perfectly comfortable with bobbles, mega, and ich, and its because they cut I mean enhance their herb with bugs.

Not good odds for me to take a pics like yours I dont wait around for my root balls to dry out. Im running a flip flop, and everyday counts. Empty, refill, remove, replace....

While we all know that the root zone is very important, the majority of us are primarily concerned with what grows above the root zone. I always thought they were directly related, as above so below. Your pics and yield remind us that other factors such as RH have an important role.

Im not an expert of the science behind the cohesion and gas exchange in the ppk, but I have grown a decent amount of herb in them. You mention not having the tailpiece submerged, maybe it "worked" for you with blumats, but I would not recommend it.
There are alot of people here who are trying to figure out the ppk. Its not constructive to post pics that you claim "totally contradict" the "purpose" of the tailpiece when really you havent proved anything because your RH is not ideal. You grew a bunch a roots and not alot of bud.... Since distracted cats and their distracting pics can confuse some people, we need to keep the big picture in mind.

Besides our methods of delivering the nutrient solution, the containers that our plants are growing in are very similar. If you have a tailpiece and a bottom bucket... it looks like a ppk to me.

I think that if your tailpiece was submerged your yield would be much more than 1/4#.

Anyway your post seemed to be related to bobbles smart pot comment and about pot size. So being the friendly creature I am I decided to post the smiling roots because I thought it was funny, and the pic of a plant nearly with 6.5x the amount of herb from a container thats 30% smaller.

:moon:
(dont even think about it Catman)

I hope that helps some of ya:ying:

catman

Veteran
If you'd have taken a moment to look at my thread, you'd see I was just popping random beans and one of the three plants put out a half a pound with less than an ounce of larf... If I woulda had 4 of those cloned, I woulda had 1gpw with a design primary concerned with stealth... I didn't only pull a half # from a 600 and I grow Brothers Grim stanky ass shit crossed with Rez's diesel to boot...I can hear my neighbors talking through the walls and I like that they can't hear my fans, smell anything, and have no idea what I'm up to. Also I grow upstairs and a flood would get me evicted very quick. Obviously everyone has different circumstances and goals, but I don't understand how you can brag about bigger plants to a young cat running a single bulb. In the high desert the air is always very dry, high by day, freezing by night. I can't say I've ever had any critters in 5 years of growing on occasion and I've probably just been lucky.

Not having a tailpiece submerged and hand watering gave me similar results to the blumats, although the quality and larf factor were very different. The whole point of a tailpiece is to remove the PWT and this a simple concept that could be used to improve almost anyone's design. I'm only a hobby grower with future aspirations and that being said, my whole reason to have an easy breezy garden is that so it can be bigger... No need to fuck around with timers and stress over whether a plant or two is going to overflow...Maybe I'll get around to that sort of system some day, but the KISS mentality has served me well. It seems to work even better for those who do true hydro... If ya weren't so defensive you might notice I've always tried to be helping out.

D9 accused me of being a distraction in his threads and it seems I was right about a discussion or two...Ain't nothing wrong with being a copy cat. I'm pretty sure my contributions have been tainted from false accusations that I was trying to create my own "catman system" to sell to the masses...I've called what I do PPK because of Turface and the bucket design, but because I don't submerge the tail piece, haven't wasted effort drilling side holes, or use Jack's, etc... I was told to get the hell out of dodge and I don't appreciate pointless passive aggression. I also share what I do here with as much honesty as I can and when I became aware a lot of the PPK theory was being discussed in PMs... that was very contradicting to the spirit of such threads.

As far as clarification.. I simply asked for some pictures...because there is a lot of talk... and I'd already seen your smiley face a time or two before...

Anyway, I'm sure I'd enjoy that oil, but I don't grow just to medicate. I got respect for the outlaws, but I don't need any pitbulls when I'm trying to make changes through compliance. Regardless of how medicated I go to bed, it feels pleasant to take pride in my actions and not just my fruits...The wise man learns more from a fool than the other way around. I still wish ya well bro...I love cannabis, but laughter is the best medicine.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
catman, I'm never going to figure you out.

From a distance, it seems like you can post some things that don't represent your actual intent.

Reread your post on the previous page, and play the mental game of "how might someone else read these words"?

In a discussion around the use of fabric pots for a PPK, I mentioned that certain pots will drain out the sides if you use saturation pulses, that you could engineer around it, and suggested that an alternative approach might be better suited.

You quoted me:

If I was to brief in my original post, I'll expand on my intent: if using a fabric pot, a more horticultural conventional 'pulse' (i.e. minimized run off) might work well. The saturation pulse displaces the gasses in the media (or so we hope) pushing out old air and pulling in new O2 rich air. In a fabric bag, O2 is much more accessible to the RZ as the sidewalls are permeable. So the O2 exchange is direct. It is passive in the sense that no gardener's stimulus is required. With this in mind, I speculated on a design that might make best use of the qualities of a fabric walled PPK.

Your reply:
Direct Passive LOL2. Your killin me homie! And who knows how many numbers of plants and futures of passionate and persistent people who only give up when their too busy being lazy...

What the hell are you trying to say? I really mean that. What does that post mean? I think you're laughing at something, and someone might be persistent and lazy... but I really have no idea.

Then you say that I take things personally. Hum... you might have just called me lazy and thoughtless, or a fucking gorilla for that matter. I have no idea. But it sure didn't seem nice.

I'm suggesting that there is a disconnect between what you intend and how people receive your comments.

If there is a repeated pattern of being you being misunderstood, what is the common theme? I gotta point at you a little bit, catman. Thoughts like these may not be helping you:

I also share what I do here with as much honesty as I can and when I became aware a lot of the PPK theory was being discussed in PMs... that was very contradicting to the spirit of such threads.

Private messaging affords the opportunity to be a bit more discrete. There may be times when open disclosure in public forums may not be in the best interest of certain members. For example, in the past I have talked to you about your conduct via PM rather than in public threads, as it seemed the polite thing to do.

Moreover, this is a weed forum. Some growers are protected by local laws, other growers are not. There is enough untested law that even legal growers sometimes decide to take some basic precautions to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Your assertion that private communication is contradicting the 'spirit' of the thread--while poetic--is absolutely groundless. The simple reality is that members can share what they want with the membership, when they want, and how they want. And (if it suits their needs or interest) they can post false or misleading information. There is certainly no requirement for absolute honesty, much less full disclosure. In that light, I would suggest that you consider the fact that some people are choosing to disclose quality information as a blessing, rather than criticizing a lack of full disclosure.

Since I'm in 'suggestion' mode, I'd also suggest that you consider your tone. There is a significant difference between showing respect and 'kissing-ass'.

catman, you're not a dumb guy. You may not the most open minded, or polite, or considerate sort of member, but you're not a dumb one either. When you take the time to write in English, I take the time to read your posts.

But please--for the love of god--think about what you're writing, and try to be nice.