What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HL45.PPK.1.0 17lightsx2 Sealed with Co2

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
The plants are only 4'tall. My jumanji room hasnt had this problem at all. The plants in there are 6'-7' tall..WTF!?!?
8822 has a lot of dust. If that dust isn't reasonably removed, It can create a paste that will clog screens and seal plumbing.

If your cleaning procedure changed from loading one system to the other, you might be seeing reduced flow characteristics from more silt.

It is tempting to load containers and rinse in place with hoses. Unless that garden hose flow rate is good, it may allow the caking effect to happen somewhere later on.

If you like the convenience of loading and rinsing in the bucket, only loading and washing in layers (3-4") at a time might help.

Better results might come from first wetting down the 8822 in bulk, and then transfer it to the container with a strainer (or whatever), and then rinse with a hose in the container. You'll see a bunch of shitty contaminated water drip through the strainer as you pull it out. It seems like this process really reduces the overall quantity of dust before it comes near a component of the system. As a result, your final flush in the bucket is more likely to carry the crap through, rather than accumulate the cakey paste in the bottom of your bucket/tailpiece screen.

8822 is much more porous (less compact-able) than coco, and roots are much less likely to stall in the tail piece (for lack of crowded soggy shittyness). If you combine roots filling the drainage gaps with an extra bit of unrised silty dust, you've got your shitstank right there.

My guess is that you've got too much high speed shit going on at once for any user error.

I'd suggest upping your rinsing regime on the 8822, and/or consider changing your tail piece to a larger diameter. I ran my earliest PPKs with 3" PVC and unseals. It is relatively easy--and was documented somewhere (I forget who)--to make a small slice off a matching coupling and glue it in place to get the ring overlap that you're accustomed to from the 'tailpiece'. Recall that there is much more volume in one 3" tailpiece than 3x1"... and more volume should require more shit to clog it.

Ashes plumbed the system with 1/2 feeds teed out of 1" main lines for pulse, and nothing on the supply/drainage side was ever smaller than 3/4.

Shit will always accumulate in plumbing over time. So flush regularly, and/or oversize on new builds.

Dave--this is a media issue, not a PPK mechanic. All systems that flow will fail when something stops that flow. It's not the PPK. It's the clog. Recall that the primary media in this system was turface, than coco, for a long time. Recall that D9 already had extensive experience and procedures associated with running turface, and coco needs to be rinsed to get the shitty salts that come with it out. 8822 as a media alternative is relatively new on the 'scene', and the kinks need to get worked out. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse... and maybe now be aware of root clogging.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
attachment.php

Hey, do you mind if I swing by and just get a couple handfuls of that?

I mean, no need to get carried away and take a significant amount from ya, but I figure you'd probably not even notice if I filled my mitts with a wad or two..?

:blowbubbles:

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Holy shit dude! It is looking awesome in there.

I can't believe there are cages in there somewhere. Looks like you might need another dosage of plant support.

Yea.. looks like PPK + Vertical owns everything.

Hey, do you mind if I swing by and just get a couple handfuls of that?

I mean, no need to get carried away and take a significant amount from ya, but I figure you'd probably not even notice if I filled my mitts with a wad or two..?

lol - reminded me of this.
picture.php

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
HL45.PPK.1.0 17lightsx2 Sealed with Co2

We threw some chicken wire up on the ceiling yesterday. Hopefully that will take care of it.

Been in a hash pen haze which is surprisingly functional. Not sure what I have gotten myself into with all these projects I'm working on, it's sure keeping me busy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360358083.448955.jpg
Day 13
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360358134.326112.jpg
Bubble into bho.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360358213.183810.jpg
Pretty soon I will be mr flip flop.

D

DHF

Made a big post and it disappeared.....Grrrrrr.......

Get ta work Mr Flip Flop.....as if yas ain`t got enough on yer plate as it is......

You slacker.....:moon:....and yeah.....

Yas missed a spot.....

Peace....Freds....:ying:....

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
You are my hero. WOW! I feel sorry for you and the crew come trim time... ha ha...

:tiphat: Im finally starting to reach my goals.

I will be stimulating the local economy by hiring the trimming out, all of it.:biggrin:

Im hoping to hit 1gpw out of the room this year.

Im also going to run my platinum kush on one side. Platinum finishes at least 2 weeks before the sour, has a decent yield when you dial her in and everyone loves her.

my bro has me testing out all these dif pens,
this one with a multivolt bat is what im using right now.
http://www.ruvaped.com/shop/skillet-replacement-bowl/

I also have an atmos raw to try but the dang mouthpiece is off gassing so much you can taste it.... so I havent filled it up for a trial.
Other honorable mentions would be the vhit, which I Liked alot.

Ilovecoconuts

Great grow HL! I pretty much skimmed throughout the entire thread just looking at the pictures and that took me a long time lol. I am very interested in growing trees. I've asked several tree growers this question but I like to get input other tree growers. Do you top/fim/super crop your plants in veg? If so, how often? Or do you let them go natural?

A couple of pages back you said you wanted to discuss PPK's. I want to know your opinion about a PPK. If you use a wick that goes down a tube to the bottom bucket, how does it fully saturate the entire top bucket?

I'm having a tough time figuring that out. If I were to use a 20 gallon smart pot, how would I make this work? Wouldn't the top 3/4 of the container be dry? Or would I have to coil the wick all around the pot? Or a better question might be, if I were to use my own soil mix that is amended so all that I would have to feed it is pH'ed water, how can I make this work in a 20 gallon smart pot?

I originally planned to use the Blumat maxis for my amended mix but saw your PPK and thought that it is a wayy better idea. I wouldn't have to dial in the blumats as it is a hit or miss with many people, but the PPK is a lot easier. Thank you for all and any advice verters!

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Searching for Bobby Fisher.... what is PWT?!?!

Searching for Bobby Fisher.... what is PWT?!?!

Great grow HL! I pretty much skimmed throughout the entire thread just looking at the pictures and that took me a long time lol. I am very interested in growing trees. I've asked several tree growers this question but I like to get input other tree growers. Do you top/fim/super crop your plants in veg? If so, how often? Or do you let them go natural?

All Natural,
however a wise man encouraged me to open them up via plant yoga and that worked well.

A couple of pages back you said you wanted to discuss PPK's. I want to know your opinion about a PPK. If you use a wick that goes down a tube to the bottom bucket, how does it fully saturate the entire top bucket?

The media wick drains the pwt and each media has its own specific capillary characteristics. Some medias are more porous than others so think about the media more than just the tube itself. The top feed or pulse as we like to call it keeps the media wet from the top down and pulls in fresh air as it drains through the media wicks.

I'm having a tough time figuring that out. If I were to use a 20 gallon smart pot, how would I make this work? Wouldn't the top 3/4 of the container be dry? Or would I have to coil the wick all around the pot? Or a better question might be, if I were to use my own soil mix that is amended so all that I would have to feed it is pH'ed water, how can I make this work in a 20 gallon smart pot?

What kind of plant are you trying to grow?
Did you see some of the trees I grew from 3.5 gallons?
I wouldnt use a smart pot.

I originally planned to use the Blumat maxis for my amended mix but saw your PPK and thought that it is a wayy better idea. I wouldn't have to dial in the blumats as it is a hit or miss with many people, but the PPK is a lot easier. Thank you for all and any advice verters!

Respect to all the verters here! Twisted heads!

Perched Water Table:moon:

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just a sick grow bro... Ya just keep taken chitz to a whole other level... Rock on...
:respect:

Respect to all the verters here! Twisted heads!

--I wouldnt use a smart pot--:

Is this just your personal preference or is there a down side ta Smart pot PPKs im missing ?
( Performance wise )

Not much info on Smart PPKs (none really)
Any thought on Air pot PPKs ? Lol..

Not talkin 20 gallon more like 3-5 gal.

Say ya placed 3-5gal Smarts in your hands and set up. Do ya think it would get the same results-worse-better ?

Maybe ya trees would do a "hulk hogan" on smartz and tear the Smatz apart with root mass mid flower... lol

Just wondering...

Peace...

Ilovecoconuts

LOL, plant yoga..thanks for clearing that up for me HL! I've read a couple of tree threads and saw what they were doing and am trying to piece it all together using all your simple techs.. whether its a simple soil mix or a simple feeding technique. It's to perfect it in my own way.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Just a sick grow bro... Ya just keep taken chitz to a whole other level... Rock on...
:respect:

Is this just your personal preference or is there a down side ta Smart pot PPKs im missing ?
( Performance wise )

Not much info on Smart PPKs (none really)
Any thought on Air pot PPKs ? Lol..

Not talkin 20 gallon more like 3-5 gal.

Say ya placed 3-5gal Smarts in your hands and set up. Do ya think it would get the same results-worse-better ?

Maybe ya trees would do a "hulk hogan" on smartz and tear the Smatz apart with root mass mid flower... lol

Just wondering...

Peace...

Fabric pots dry the media out faster, and you cant use saturation pulsing with fabric pots. I want the media to drain well pulling air down into the root zone while staying moist. Saturation pulse is letting the container fill with water and then drain.
Im sure that fabric pots work, but I wouldnt consider them optimal for 8822 or turface, coco might be different. Just my two pesos

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
LOL, plant yoga..thanks for clearing that up for me HL! I've read a couple of tree threads and saw what they were doing and am trying to piece it all together using all your simple techs.. whether its a simple soil mix or a simple feeding technique. It's to perfect it in my own way.
Good Luck! Check out Flower farmers trees if you havent already,

The gals are looking shit hot HL and that BHO is to die for! Nice work bro.
Thanks! Its only been a few days but the girls are really starting to stack.

I still need to draw straws for bho testing but I think Ich won with the best reply.

Latest posts

Latest posts