What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High THC strains 20% and up.

This is a surprise? As I've said before, in this industry, you will be hard-pressed to find a legitimate business. Nothing but hacks...even the "real companies" aren't legitimate by typical standards.

I've read SS and spurr both mention this.

We all agree that the MMj industry is messed up. BUT we still can go forward with science regardless.

A look at Sam's setup will reveal the issues with cannabinoid testing. It's more than just the impure standards (which I was unable to obtain 10 years ago as an undergrad chem student secretly investigating cannabinoids.) These machines need constant attention. CBD and THC have way different retention times, that is why SS has two columns.

Of course everything depends on the parameters. If Mr. Skunkman would post his parameters I could die a happy man. I'll tell him right now that I sat up all night while draining some tanks waiting for CBD to come out... that took over two hours with my column/parameters and I had two varieties and had to double check... and got me expelled from college. D'oh. (8(l) But THC was pretty quick, and easy to get a giant peak with multiple solvents.

The large difference in retention times means that for many labs, the ones with single column GCs, the process of separating and analyzing both THC and CBD takes a long time. They are limited, science is limited, standards are limited, machines are limited, lab techs are limited, nothing will ever be perfect.

Sam can run 96 samples per evening with his 2 column auto sampler, the single column auto samplers (I assume) can run less. I for one would like to see more data on terpenes from the labs. They are already running them through the GC. I identified at least a half dozen terpenes in dj's blueberry, small peaks compared to THC, but quantifiable for anyone as the standards are on every campus.

Spurr has some interesting ideas about TLC and spot density tests for terpenes, something for the home chemist.

So to clarify, one gram of 20% THC Cannabis contains 200 milligrams of THC? Really? :bigeye:

Sounds crazy right? I think that's what is it. Remeber that is not bud as you know it. The "THC cannabis" has been desiccated and sonicated in a non-polar solvent... (not sure what they are using)

I must have an extremely high intake of THC then. :biggrin:

hehe, me too. many of us. good thing we can't overdose.

I was under the persuasion that that stated % of THC was based on the liquid/gaseous sampling of resin which had been EXTRACTED from that one gram of Cannabis during testing.

Then the flowers would test the same as the hash or kif.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know I am really on the fence here, I find it very hard to believe based on what I know about Cannabis that one gram can actually contain 200 milligrams of pure THC.

I regularly smoke a full gram of Sweet Tooth in one sitting which I estimate to be between 15% to 20% THC and with such a massive potential dosage of THC in one sitting I would really expect to be..well for lack of better words..fucking zooted. I respect the input of those here who are obviously knowledgeable on the subject but I think there is something being overlooked here as far as the quantification of THC %'s go. Just my honest opinion. :canabis:

Also, wanted to add that maybe this all is in fact true the more I ponder it, as a large % of THC is known to be destroyed during smoking when you are not using a vaporizer which preserves the vast majority of it due to the much lower temperatures. So while maybe a high quality gram of Cannabis does in fact contain say 200 milligrams of THC you might be lucky to actually assimilate say 10 or 15% of that THC when everything is said and done?

That makes alot more sense to me, and of course different smoking methods will yield much different results as far as actually ingesting the active ingredients go. ;)

You know I am really on the fence here, I find it very hard to believe based on what I know about Cannabis that one gram can actually contain 200 milligrams of pure THC.
Remember the THC values presented are after decarboxylation. Raw bud has little THC.

I regularly smoke a full gram of Sweet Tooth in one sitting which I estimate to be between 15% to 20% THC and with such a massive potential dosage of THC in one sitting I would really expect to be..well for lack of better words..fucking zooted. I respect the input of those here who are obviously knowledgeable on the subject but I think there is something being overlooked here as far as the quantification of THC %'s go. Just my honest opinion. :canabis:
Getting zooted it seems is inhibited by CBD, so if this sweet tooth has some then smoking more won't get you super zooted. But that does not mean 200 mg of THC has not entered your blood stream from that one gram of herb.

The description for dj's blueberry includes "long lasting high". This is likely due to a significant amount of CBD in that variety. The blueberry doesn't get me super zooted, but the high lasts way longer than the "zoot me" varieties like og kush or sour diesel.

Also, wanted to add that maybe this all is in fact true the more I ponder it, as a large % of THC is known to be destroyed during smoking when you are not using a vaporizer which preserves the vast majority of it due to the much lower temperatures. So while maybe a high quality gram of Cannabis does in fact contain say 200 milligrams of THC you might be lucky to actually assimilate say 10 or 15% of that THC when everything is said and done?
I am not aware of this destruction. I find vaping to a be different high, but not stronger. Smoking temps are not that much higher than vape temps (I vape on the hotter end). Please explain more.

Agreed on THC's interaction with CB receptors and modulators being different than just having THC in your blood.

That makes alot more sense to me, and of course different smoking methods will yield much different results as far as actually ingesting the active ingredients go. ;)

Different methods of smoking and different results... more please.
Are you saying that using a hemp wick or matches or magnifying glass has different results than a butane lighter?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
You are right that smoking does destroy THC, but even if half is destroyed you are still getting 100 mg, (I don't remember but I am sure less then half is destroyed by smoking) When I vapped 100% pure THC and other Cannabinoids and Terpenoids My colleague thought 10 mg would be enough, but tests showed 20-25 mg THC was needed so all subjects could feel it. So we used 25 mg and tried to vape it in one breath. 100 mg is only 4 of these breaths, like a 1 gram joint of 20% THC. I know many people that smoke 50% THC bubble hash all day long, they are smoking much more then one gram of THC a day. I know people that smoke double that easy, every day.
-SamS

Samson4

Veteran
You are right that smoking does destroy THC, but even if half is destroyed you are still getting 100 mg, (I don't remember but I am sure less then half is destroyed by smoking) When I vapped 100% pure THC and other Cannabinoids and Terpenoids My colleague thought 10 mg would be enough, but tests showed 20-25 mg THC was needed so all subjects could feel it. So we used 25 mg and tried to vape it in one breath. 100 mg is only 4 of these breaths, like a 1 gram joint of 20% THC. I know many people that smoke 50% THC bubble hash all day long, they are smoking much more then one gram of THC a day. I know people that smoke double that easy, every day.
-SamS

I wonder if there is a saturation point on the cannabinoid % of smoke/vapor pertaining to gas exchange in the lungs :dunno:

As for THC percentage, I always thought it was for example: 20% THC content in the vapor. I want to get this sorted out in my head for once and for all:

1.A lab test showing % of cbd to thc of white rhino, stated the % to be something like 12%. It then lists total cbd content at something like 1 to 2 %. This information can be found in the high cbd strains thread.

2.If the plant contained 20% thc of total weight, you would have only 80% left to contain all the other cannabinoids, terpenes, moisture and fiber.

3. Good hash can be made around 50% thc without altering the natural content of the resin. That would mean, this 20% thc bud, using a similar method of hash making would also have another 20% content of other cannabinoids and terpenes. This leaves only 60% bud mass to contain moisture and fiber, and that is with top notch hash making techniques. With this in mind, a very potent bud will only have 10% less actives per weight then very potent hash.

This of course assumes that other actives in these 20% plants aren't extremely low.

4. Sifting kiev can cause noticeable drops in potency, but weight doesn't change by very much. Definitely not over 10%.

I am by no means 100% certain, and if anyone can explain otherwise I will definitely appreciate it.

Someone needs to get their hands on a 20% thc bud, weigh it. Then thoroughly vaporize it and weigh it again. I'll do it if someone will donate the materials needed.......will need multiple samples for accuracy :tiphat:

Last edited by a moderator:

Samson4

Veteran
That's another thing, I always assumed the tested buds contained the same moisture content of cured bud used for smoking. These buds do contain a significant amount of moisture.

Honkytonk

So while maybe a high quality gram of Cannabis does in fact contain say 200 milligrams of THC you might be lucky to actually assimilate say 10 or 15% of that THC when everything is said and done?

Bioavailability of THC
picture.php

:wave:

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
:heats up joint in oven:

Gonna try it on the girlfriend so nobody calls me a queer. :wave:

Honkytonk

What if you put the joint in your ass? :bigeye:

If one neglects the effects of the rectal formulation THC-hemisuccinate vs. oral THC in oil vs. inhaled Marijuana, the bioavailibility would be about twice as high as if you ate it. Roughly in the same range as smoking it.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ass it is then, just another new reason I have to bend chicks over who want to get high. :biggrin:

I one neglects the effects of the rectal formulation THC-hemisuccinate vs. oral THC in oil vs. inhaled Marijuana, the bioavailibility would be about twice as high as if you ate it. Roughly in the same range as smoking it.

no joke, i know an AIDS patient that can only take cannabis rectally. they use pen caps as "molds" to make oil/hash 'terds' to shove up his butt.

... this thread has taken an interesting direction lol :)

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tantalizing. :crazy: But hey at least dude can still get a buzz and eat right that's what counts.

So anyone know what is the absolute HIGHEST % (proven by testing) THC laden strain?

Honkytonk

What I'm wondering about is why is there such an obsession with THC percentages?
Does it make a difference if I take 2 hits of a 20% THC bud or 3 hits of a 13.3% THC bud other than the need to smoke a different amount of plant material?

In light of what has been said in this thread, THC% testing seems unreliable (not properly adjusted labs), sample preparation seems to be partly the key to high THC readings and then take into account that it seems that there're seed vendors who simply make up percentages, is it really more than just a number used for marketing purposes? Unless one does it the way Sam does?

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think ultimately it's people looking for the maximum bang for their buck & time in either buying or growing as far as the key active component goes. If you grow or buy 1 pound of 20% THC Cannabis as opposed to say 10% THC Cannabis you will have effectively doubled the amount present to ingest of the key ingredient to all the magic. That is why it matters and even more so when making extracts and hashish, ect. :canabis:

Latest posts

Latest posts