What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High THC strains 20% and up.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
How do you measure the volume of a sample of herb?
I know it can be done but it is not being done.
It is done by dry weight.
I was referring to the sample, not the result at the detector.
no problem but if I misunderstood, maybe others did also?
-SamS

Hmmm...maybe we can respectfully disagree on terminology, but I think we will find that the results of a sample at the detector can only provide results in terms of comparing the known Volume of the sample with the Volume of the individual analytes.

Percentage of the sample is percentage of the sample, no matter how it is expressed in the end...but the results of a G-LC are going to be from calculations comparing the single axis peak measurements.
Known volume in, with a comparative of individual peak volume detected.

-SamS

Not sure why he goes with volume either, or why he would use that term. His comment only confuses the issue.

SS: any insights or corrections to my ideas in post #119?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If by smoking, me and RCC can't tell if a particular variety have CBD and/or CBN rather then CBD/CBN like terpenoids that have similar effects, how can you? I have smoked many varieties that have zero CBD/CBN and the high was in the body. They did have THC and the right terpenoids.
Many people believe by smoking they can tell if CBD is present in Cannabis, I know you can't.
The first Cannabinoids were discovered in the 1940's, THC was discovered in 1964, the CB1 receptor in 1988, Anandamide in 1992 by my friend Bill Devane, who also named it.
This was all done by scientists, which I am not really one of, but I did not say I was....
I am more of a farmer or plant breeder.
I do have a lot of scientist friends that explain to me what is going on in science.
And it was me pushing Terpenoids as modulators since the late 70's, I proved it in the 90's when I tried pure THC, and then added Terpenoid rich dry sift and made the THC stronger then when pure. Later I tried pure THC and various terpenoids together and absolutely proved it.
-SamS

You breed some killer strains in the 80's and early 90's but with all do respect your not a scientist either. Further more I dont really even think the scientist know much about this matter. They didnt even know why marijuana got you high untill 20 years ago. How does the smoke test tell you about cbd and cbn ratios? Well if the high is all in the head strain probly high in thc. If the high is in the body strain is probly high in cbd or cbn.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
With a GC you could make a profile of the Cannabinoid/Terpenoid %'s but it is not very useful. A better way would be to use marker genes.
-SamS

Sam is it possible with the GC machine to make a fingerprint of a cannabis strain? or any other method?

If by smoking, me and RCC can't tell if a particular variety have CBD and/or CBN rather then CBD/CBN like terpenoids that have similar effects, how can you? I have smoked many varieties that have zero CBD/CBN and the high was in the body. They did have THC and the right terpenoids.
Many people believe by smoking they can tell if CBD is present in Cannabis, I know you can't.
The first Cannabinoids were discovered in the 1940's, THC was discovered in 1964, the CB1 receptor in 1988, Anandamide in 1992 by my friend Bill Devane, who also named it.
This was all done by scientists, which I am not really one of, but I did not say I was....
I am more of a farmer or plant breeder.
I do have a lot of scientist friends that explain to me what is going on in science.
-SamS

SS, anyone who analyses their own extractions in an auto-sampler GC with two injection ports is a scientist. Your humility is appreciated.

Terpenes acting similarly to CBD and/or CBN... that is very interesting and leads me to further believe that terpenes will soon be reported on medicine by the leaders of the MMj world, not just THC and CBD.

Like I mentioned earlier, separating body and head is only part of the story. On top of head/body is the up/down affects that can act on your body and/or head.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Depends on the Terpenoids, which effects you see.
Ceiling may depend on more then just what is present or not present. But maybe it is that simple.
-SamS

Mr. Skunkman would so kindly enlighten us more...
SS wrote:

From this I assume:
1) high THC is not that important compared to 2) & 3)
2) low CBD is very important for the powerful affect
3) high amounts of the proper terpenes also very important for powerful affect

You can always take another toke, but won't get higher (the ceiling we all know about) if CBD is getting in the way of the THC binding your CB receptors... correct?

And if the 'right' terpenes are not present to modulate the THC affects your "ceiling" is also limited... correct?

So 9% THC bud with almost zero CBD but has the right terpenes, will get me higher than 15% THC bud with some CBD and low terpene levels? Assuming I smoke to receptor saturation :)

WoodsyOwl

Wow, this is pathetic. Nine pages in and no one has clarified the THC percentage definitions. It is pathetic because the maths is stupidly simple to understand and so forward. You are all dumb.

THC percentage is measured as the gross percentage of a mass of bud that is THC. If a lab says that your 1 gram bud contained 214mg of THC then your THC percentage is 21.4%.

There are so many retards on this forum. It's really sad.

edit: Go back to elementary school and learn your geometry for the first
time.

We are all dumb? We need to go back to school? Funny how clear the errors of others are to those who are blind to their own faults.
-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this is pathetic. Nine pages in and no one has clarified the THC percentage definitions. It is pathetic because the maths is stupidly simple to understand and so forward. You are all dumb.

THC percentage is measured as the gross percentage of a mass of bud that is THC. If a lab says that your 1 gram bud contained 214mg of THC then your THC percentage is 21.4%.

There are so many retards on this forum. It's really sad.

That is what we (myself, skunkman, and others) meant when we said that THC percent is a measure of weight. EXACTLY what you said. Please keep the insults to a minimum, this discussion is getting somewhere.

The lab doesn't tell you that your bud has 214 mg of THC. The lab gives the percent only, which can be extrapolated to any mass.

sam,

What are some of the percentages of the right terpenoids in a strong sample? is a higher amount better, or does just a little need to be present? I'm sure you lose alot in dry sifting just by the extreme drying.

also how much of this is subjective or chemical...I mean is everyone in agreement that has tried pure thc is not as good as thc with terpenoids? whats a pure thc high like?

I can't think of anyone that has access to any of these kinds of known samples...it's cool that you're here

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I have a solution.

Everybody send me labeled samples of your herb. I'll smoke it for you. Maybe I'll even give you a smoke report. If you don't hear back from me for a few days, you get a 9. If I forget how to login, you get a 10.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
They have so far found over 120 Terpenoids in Cannabis and I found a few more in Cannabis.
See the article for Cannabis Essential Oil:
http://www.internationalhempassociation.org/jiha/jiha5107.html

I can't really speak about the amounts required, for what, but the right Terpenoids are found in larger amounts in the "best" Cannabis.
Yes, drying eliminates some terpenoids but not as much as water sifting does.
I did tests with 12 people, most were very, very, very experienced smokers. A few were medical users. We were in almost total agreement, on what felt up or down, etc.
Pure THC is like 100% alcohol if you are a wine connoisseur, THC is flat and boring, without any of the individual varietal differences from the Terpenoids.
RCC said if all Cannabis was just THC he would not smoke it.
And again pure THC is not as strong as THC with the right Terpenoids.
-SamS

sam,

What are some of the percentages of the right terpenoids in a strong sample? is a higher amount better, or does just a little need to be present? I'm sure you lose alot in dry sifting just by the extreme drying.

also how much of this is subjective or chemical...I mean is everyone in agreement that has tried pure thc is not as good as thc with terpenoids? whats a pure thc high like?

I can't think of anyone that has access to any of these kinds of known samples...it's cool that you're here

G.O. Joe

Veteran

Terpene-free extract is easily obtained by extraction of the cannabinoids in their acid form, or by steam distillation of the terpenes. I could not tell the difference between original material and dry yellowish powder THCA+CBDA.

Begging for people, well only Sam, to spoonfeed you like this is all some secret knowledge which others cannot acquire, will not actually help you. You can become a doer. There is this most amazing thing that has all the answers if only you utilize it: http://www.google.com

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
G.O. Joe,
If you can't tell the difference between a THC or THC/CBD herbal variety with the terpenoids and the extracted pure THCA/CBDA Terpenoid free, then you are maybe joking?
It is easy, anyone that smokes Cannabis can and does when tested by me.
But anyway to do what I did you need 100% pure THC or THCA as well as 100% pure CBD or CBDA and pure Terpenoids. Not THCA/CBDA.
Did you separate the THCA from the CBDA? If not then you can't do most of the work I did. It requires 100% pure THC, then you can add different terpenoids to see what they do to the THC.
Good Luck,
-SamS

Baba Ku

Veteran
-SamS

Sam,
We express the results that gets published as a percentage. This number is relative to the whole of the sample no matter if it is weight or volume, it is still a percentage of the whole.
Thing is, the actual testing does not use weight, but rather volume.
Let me ask you this...how does the equipment weigh the gas it is detecting? It doesn't. It can calculate the whole volume of gas that enters the columns, and then takes the peaks provided after measuring their retention times, and physically measures them by volume against the total sample. The percentages given in the test results are percentage of that volume of gas.
After all we are not analyzing a solid mass, but rather a mass in a gaseous state.
By recognizing the retention time of each anaylite, and then measuring the physical marker it displays and comparing it to the total sample, a calculation is made by the equipment and a percentage is derived.

This whole thing may a bit of picking nits, but the reality of things is that we are seeing a report that was derived from a volumetric measurement and not a weighing of the individual components against the weight of the original sample.

Baba Ku

Veteran
That is what we (myself, skunkman, and others) meant when we said that THC percent is a measure of weight. EXACTLY what you said. Please keep the insults to a minimum, this discussion is getting somewhere.
Please enlighten us on how the test weighs anything?
What exactly does a 20% sample of thc weigh, assuming the bud weighed exactly 1 gram?

I have my doubts that you even know much about the actual testing and lab procedures. It seems to me you are getting your info from hanging out at places and listening to people talk, oh and message boards...can't forget all the good info you get from those....

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
And it was me pushing Terpenoids as modulators since the late 70's, I proved it in the 90's when I tried pure THC, and then added Terpenoid rich dry sift and made the THC stronger then when pure. Later I tried pure THC and various terpenoids together and absolutely proved it.

definitely, non-cannabinoid terpens play a great part in the different effects of differents strains and they hold a great deal of therapeutic qualities.
If you keep that in mind, testing the percentage of THC only becomes nearly irrelevant, except for marketing purposes and also for prohibitionnists so they can scare people about these so dangerous new high-thc strains...

Irie !

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I understand exactly what you are saying, about GC results, but I was referring to was the original sample submitted. Do you weigh it or measure the volume? The submitted dry sample? Before you add solvent.
We weigh the sample, be it .10 gram or 10 grams, and then put it in a sonicator with solvents, then measure a volume to inject into the GC. I never referred to a GC volume, if I did I am just being stupid.
But I was clear I was referring to the dry samples.
To measure the volume of the dry sample you could do it but I know of no use.
I understand in a GC that %'s are a volume, but it was not what I referred to at all. Reread my posts, not that it matters....
-SamS

Sam,
We express the results that gets published as a percentage. This number is relative to the whole of the sample no matter if it is weight or volume, it is still a percentage of the whole.
Thing is, the actual testing does not use weight, but rather volume.
Let me ask you this...how does the equipment weigh the gas it is detecting? It doesn't. It can calculate the whole volume of gas that enters the columns, and then takes the peaks provided after measuring their retention times, and physically measures them by volume against the total sample. The percentages given in the test results are percentage of that volume of gas.
After all we are not analyzing a solid mass, but rather a mass in a gaseous state.
By recognizing the retention time of each anaylite, and then measuring the physical marker it displays and comparing it to the total sample, a calculation is made by the equipment and a percentage is derived.

This whole thing may a bit of picking nits, but the reality of things is that we are seeing a report that was derived from a volumetric measurement and not a weighing of the individual components against the weight of the original sample.

GreenintheThumb

fuck the ticket, bought the ride
Veteran
exactly why CO is considering these tests to be mandatory for all MMJ.

We got them to take that out. Pretty much because of info I've learned from Sam over the years.

I've spoken to most of the folks running labs out in CO. You would be surprised at how unreliable they are. One admitted they got a letter telling them the pure THC they used to calibrate the machine was really only about 90%. They kept using it...

jd4083

Veteran
We got them to take that out. Pretty much because of info I've learned from Sam over the years.

I've spoken to most of the folks running labs out in CO. You would be surprised at how unreliable they are. One admitted they got a letter telling them the pure THC they used to calibrate the machine was really only about 90%. They kept using it...

This is a surprise? As I've said before, in this industry, you will be hard-pressed to find a legitimate business. Nothing but hacks...even the "real companies" aren't legitimate by typical standards.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So to clarify, one gram of 20% THC Cannabis contains 200 milligrams of THC? Really? :bigeye:

I must have an extremely high intake of THC then. :biggrin:

I was under the persuasion that that stated % of THC was based on the liquid/gaseous sampling of resin which had been EXTRACTED from that one gram of Cannabis during testing.