What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"gun violence"

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'm not sure that an effective way of dealing with violence exists, once a person is beyond a certain age. you can socialize most children (or dogs, for that matter) to not be violent, calmly accept "no" as an answer, etc. but too many kids grow up with mommy and daddy telling them how "special" they are. this is the main problem with sports "stars". the entitled fucks still think they are special even as adults and that the rules do not apply to THEM, because they never have before. the death penalty does not deter them either. they'll squirm like hell & scream "it's NOT MY FAULT!" in an attempt to escape their fate, but they never once took into consideration that they WOULD be caught & have to pay the piper...

buzzmobile

Veteran
Florida Man strike again.

A Delray Beach man was arrested after deputies said he shot another man, then beat him with a golf club for walking his dog on a golf course.

According to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, deputies were called to the Kings Point golf course on Sunday around 6:50 p.m. for a report of a shooting.

Pinellas man claiming to be Jesus traps minor in locker room, kisses him, police say
When they arrived, they found a man who suffered a gunshot wound to his left ankle and several injuries to the left side of his body.

Nearby deputies found a man matching the description of the shooter, later identified as 74-year-old Robert Levine. Deputies also found a black semi-automatic handgun in his pocket, they said.

According to the arrest affidavit, the victim was walking his dog near the golf course when Levine approached him in a golf cart and began yelling at him for having his dog on the course.

The victim ran when Levine pulled a gun out and pointed it at him, according to deputies. Levine started chasing the victim around a tree while he shot at him. That’s when the victim was struck in the ankle.

Documents stated Levine went back to his golf cart to get a club as the victim laid on the ground. Levine then kicked the victim in the head and hit him several times with the golf club. Meanwhile, the victim yelled for help as he was unable to move.

The victim, as well as two witnesses said the victim did nothing to provoke Levine.

Authorities did not say if the dog was injured.

Levine was arrested on attempted first-degree murder with a firearm, aggravated battery and firing a weapon in a public property charges.

Standing His Ground while seated in his golf cart. I cannot wait for Constitutional Carry to go along with Stand Your Ground. It's going to be Biblical.

h.h.

Veteran

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Florida Man strike again.

Standing His Ground while seated in his golf cart. I cannot wait for Constitutional Carry to go along with Stand Your Ground. It's going to be Biblical.
what is the appropriate club in this instance? "is there a caddy in the house ?" imaging trying to get dog shit out from between the golf spikes on your shoes...oh, the horror! :spank: :biglaugh:

Reactions: Gry

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran

buzzmobile

Veteran
what is the appropriate club in this instance? :biglaugh:
Clubs are never appropriate in the story above. Metal shafts will bend or break and graphite just doesn't pack the punch required. I suppose I could carry an old club but then I would have more than 13 in my bag and I'm a straight shooter. That's why a bat is appropriate. Good question, @armedoldhippy .
Bats are also easy to customize.
1652007062793.png

h.h.

Veteran
Well the way I see it, and this seems to be supported by ads I've seen recently, the real problem with gun violence is impulse control. The gun is an effective tool for taking quick action perhaps so quick the person with the gun doesn't think things thru carefully, they just grab the gun and give into whatever impulse. Hence you have ads like the one I refer to that shows a gun owner with a gun that is locked in such a way that it has to be unlocked before it can be used, presumably giving the person a few extra moments to consider what they are contemplating on doing. Now in this ad the thing the gun owner is contemplating is suicide because it is a war veteran suffering from PTSD. Now in that particular scenario it seems to make great sense. What if the situation was different though? What if the person was in a life or death situation and needed to get and use the gun quickly for self defense? Then having to undo locks might not be such a good thing. It seems there is no one good one size fits all solution. Now I heard someone mention a rifle class, I'm guessing that's a class a perspective gun owner has to take in order to own a gun. That wouldn't be a fool proof solution either but something like that seems like a good idea and is probably the closest we could come to a solution.

Now in my own case because I was foolish and reckless in my youth I manage to pick up a felony charge when I turned 18 and as a result I've never been able to own a gun legally. I did however have a good friend who was into guns and one thing that always impressed me about him was that he strongly believed it was his responsibility to go to a shooting range and practice regularly. I mean how good is a gun if when the time comes that you need to use it, you're not very good at using it? Sure on TV they make it look simple, just point and shoot right? Well according to my friend and other gun owners I've talked to over the years, it's not quite as simple as it looks on TV. Because of this I've always felt that it should be mandatory for gun owners to regularly put in time at a shooting range and if something like that could be mandated you could also combine that with some classroom time where the latest safe practices are discussed. Now I know something like that wouldn't be popular as I'm sure many gun owners would be insulted by the government saying they needed regular training to be trusted with a gun. However as unpopular as it might be it's the best solution I can come up with that might help with the problem without needing to take guns way from people.

See the real problem with guns is that there are more guns in the US then there are citizens and that's just counting the ones that are legal. With guns being that popular and with the constitution providing a right to gun ownership the idea of getting rid of guns is ridiculous, it's never going to happen. Especially with the kind of mentality made famous by Charlton Heston when he was President of the NRA "I'll give you my gun when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands" although actually that saying predates when Heston said it. The point being there are many gun owners that passionate about their guns and so the idea of taking them away is never going to work. Then of course there is the other famous line often used that goes, "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" and whether you like it or not there is truth to that kind of thinking. So if you accept those two things then the options for solving gun violence gets narrowed down pretty quickly and all you're really left with is doing your best to try to make gun owners more responsible and harsh mandatory penalties for people convicted of gun violence.
So if a gun is needed for protection, that would make you an unprotected citizen because you made a mistake once. It becomes a secondary punishment where you’re life is in danger. The government, who some believe we’re also protecting ourselves from , is the entity who chooses who can carry or not . How does that work?

h.h.

Veteran
Very rarely are people that are alcoholics substance abusers or maniacal trolls ever thinking rationally let alone be able to know about CQC or everyday carry or even remotely be concerned about it. All I see in our society are people not willing to earn respect like you had to when we were young boys and trying to get it through violence and forcing people not going to end well.
Kids now days.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Clubs are never appropriate in the story above. Metal shafts will bend or break and graphite just doesn't pack the punch required. I suppose I could carry an old club but then I would have more than 13 in my bag and I'm a straight shooter. That's why a bat is appropriate. Good question, @armedoldhippy .
Bats are also easy to customize.
View attachment 18130840
damn! you are REALLY "old school" aren't you? a wooden bat indeed, lol. :biglaugh: those things are too valuable as collectors items to risk breaking over some assholes head...:noway:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
So if a gun is needed for protection, that would make you an unprotected citizen because you made a mistake once. It becomes a secondary punishment where you’re life is in danger. The government, who some believe we’re also protecting ourselves from , is the entity who chooses who can carry or not . How does that work?
It works by the Government establishing laws. The law that prevents felons from owning a gun has been long established on the books based on the belief that if you let a convicted felon have a gun he will use it to commit more felonies. Now even I see some sense in that logic but I think it should be more specific to violent felonies especially if the felon was carrying or used a gun while committing the felony. I would even be okay with a law that let's you earn back your right to own a gun automatically if you stay out of trouble for a specified period of time and were a productive member of society. This is why I've never had much respect for the NRA, they position themselves as defenders of people's 2nd amendment rights yet to the best of my knowledge they've done little to nothing to help people like me regain my 2nd Amendment rights.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
in some states, the actual crime committed makes a difference. rob a liquor store with a pistol & get $200, that is a violent crime with the potential of a fatality. or, embezzle a few grand with your office computer. yeah, you stole more $$$, but who was endangered by your crime? reality should reflect this. here in tennessee, if you drop by a buddies house & sell him his weekly 1/2 oz or whatever, and have a gun in your car, guess what? you "used a firearm in the commission of a dangerous felony"...and they will try to hang you for it. if you have any drugs on you, you have forfeited the right to effective self defense. fight off an attempted car jacking with a legally owned & registered gun, they will pretend it was a "drug deal gone bad"...:noway:

HempKat

Veteran
in some states, the actual crime committed makes a difference. rob a liquor store with a pistol & get $200, that is a violent crime with the potential of a fatality. or, embezzle a few grand with your office computer. yeah, you stole more $$$, but who was endangered by your crime? reality should reflect this. here in tennessee, if you drop by a buddies house & sell him his weekly 1/2 oz or whatever, and have a gun in your car, guess what? you "used a firearm in the commission of a dangerous felony"...and they will try to hang you for it. if you have any drugs on you, you have forfeited the right to effective self defense. fight off an attempted car jacking with a legally owned & registered gun, they will pretend it was a "drug deal gone bad"...:noway:
The problem with a lot of states is that they can easily define almost any crime if they can describe it a certain way. Like in my state you have a daytime breaking and entering which is a misdemeanor unless you use a gun because most break-ins are done on places where people are not home and so low risk of any violence erupting but if you bring a gun then you're preparing for what if someone is there. Night time breaking and entering on the other hand, more often then not people are there or there is a greater chance they'll be there or come home which might force a confrontation that could turn violent. Since it's more likely that someone will be there or show up then that's automatically a felony and considered a violent crime even if you never had a gun and never encountered any one. In my case it was technically a night time breaking and entering because I was so drunk I didn't recognize the townhouse I walked into (they all look pretty much the same in the neighborhood I was in and the door was unlocked and I had purposely left my place unlocked because I couldn't find my keys. Once inside I soon realized I was in the wrong place and left without alerting anyone or stealing anything. I guess someone saw me though and that led the cops to me and they matched up my fingerprints. None of the circumstances mattered though because it was a felony and if you have a felony you lose the right to a gun at least in my state until that felony is pardoned or expunged. Now there is another class of breaking and entering which is also a misdemeanor, I think they call it commercial breaking and entering and as long as it's like just some bum trying to get out of the cold or something like that it's a misdemeanor even at night but I'm not entirely certain of that.

h.h.

Veteran
i'm not sure that an effective way of dealing with violence exists, once a person is beyond a certain age. you can socialize most children (or dogs, for that matter) to not be violent, calmly accept "no" as an answer, etc. but too many kids grow up with mommy and daddy telling them how "special" they are. this is the main problem with sports "stars". the entitled fucks still think they are special even as adults and that the rules do not apply to THEM, because they never have before. the death penalty does not deter them either. they'll squirm like hell & scream "it's NOT MY FAULT!" in an attempt to escape their fate, but they never once took into consideration that they WOULD be caught & have to pay the piper...
Pretty much why they don’t allow WMD’s for the general public. Reasoning behind banning what they’ve deemed to be assault weapons though I remember “belly guns” often being the weapon of choice. Somehow this is all excused by Freudian theories and sport stars with big egos. Having a highly trained police force still leaves an importunate number of inner city kids and adults dead. Assigning the same task to the general public then somehow escapes the same scrutiny. I really don’t understand the concept of citizen policing other citizens. We’ve seen how that ends.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
HempKat...if you could get in front of a judge with the facts of your case, i can't imagine them NOT clearing your record. the entire mess just begs for a do-over & directed dismissal with prejudice...damn, son. i feel for you...:shucks::good:

HempKat

Veteran
HempKat...if you could get in front of a judge with the facts of your case, i can't imagine them NOT clearing your record. the entire mess just begs for a do-over & directed dismissal with prejudice...damn, son. i feel for you...:shucks::good:
Well like I said before at this point in my life I don't feel it's really worth pursuing. I mean it's not like I'm feeling like I need a gun to defend myself from some threat I'm facing. If we ever get into a SHTF situation I know people I can hook up with that have guns and since we'd all be surviving collectively I'm sure one of them would give me access to some of their guns. Right now to have a gun would represent a hobby I can't really afford. If something happens in the future to drastically improve my financial situation where I could afford it, then I might consider trying to get my record expunged.

Latest posts

Latest posts