What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"gun violence"

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
My argument against the bolded part is that is a barrier to entry for poor folks. However, I do agree with you in principal.

Of course, my plan would help to alleviate said issues.
Last time I looked, guns were pretty damn expensive, if one is too poor to train regularly at a shooting range then perhaps they're too poor to be owning a gun?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Last time I looked, guns were pretty damn expensive, if one is too poor to train regularly at a shooting range then perhaps they're too poor to be owning a gun?
that will never pass review in any court. it is a given, and has been forever, that you have the right to self defense. being able to hit a target at 25 yards or whatever is irrelevant if you are trying to stop someone from carjacking you or kicking in your bedroom door. many times, just seeing/hearing that the potential "victim" is armed is enough to end an attack. if it does not, THOSE are the people that NEED to be shot...

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's a rather privileged thing to say.

What about those who inherit a gun?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
anyone that has so little impulse control that they would see a firearm as anything other than a tool of last resort should not be allowed to own/drive a car. see also- "road rage".:chin:
Or a hammer.

Hell, if I'm that mad at someone, I'd likely pick up a hammer instead of a gun. Really work that anger out.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Or a hammer.

Hell, if I'm that mad at someone, I'd likely pick up a hammer instead of a gun. Really work that anger out.
we've been killing each other for a long damn time. shame we got so good at it. almost looks like an intramural sport these days...the hammer would probably be more satisfying... have you seen the commercial where the hockey players are using pool noodles instead of hockey sticks? THAT is what a "fight" should look like, lol.

HempKat

Veteran
That's a rather privileged thing to say.

What about those who inherit a gun?
I don't see how it's privileged when I don't have the option to own one whether I can afford it or not. If they inherit a gun but can't afford to buy enough ammo to make sure they're proficient with the gun then what good is it to them anyway? What if at the moment they needed it they didn't have bullets because they couldn't afford it? If they inherited it and want to mount it as a keepsake, a memento of their departed loved one who left it to them, I have no problem with that. I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to own guns, I'm saying that if they plan on using it they should regularly sharpen their skills. That doesn't mean they need to go to the range weekly or that they need to fire a ton of rounds each time. Just regular enough to keep their skill sharp and to keep up with current best practices for keeping and handling a gun. Many of the deaths caused by guns are do to people who really don't know how to handle, care for or store a gun. Too many times accidents happen because the gun is just lying around in a drawer somewhere rarely used by the owner, but a kid in the house finds it and thinks it's a toy or that waving it around makes them feel cool. I'm just trying to come up with a way to reduce gun related deaths without resorting to taking away people's right to own one.

HempKat

Veteran
that will never pass review in any court. it is a given, and has been forever, that you have the right to self defense. being able to hit a target at 25 yards or whatever is irrelevant if you are trying to stop someone from carjacking you or kicking in your bedroom door. many times, just seeing/hearing that the potential "victim" is armed is enough to end an attack. if it does not, THOSE are the people that NEED to be shot...
I've seen people unused to wielding a gun have the gun taken from them when they tried to use it. It's all fine and dandy to buy a gun for protection and if that's the level of protection needed then so be it but just having a gun isn't enough, they don't automatically bestow protection. If a person might find themselves needing to actually use a gun then they better damn well know how to use it and not experience a moment of hesitation when that time comes. They also need to know when the moment is right and when it's best to hold back. With or without a gun when the average person is confronted with a life or death situation there is that moment when they're hit with the fight or flight response. Some people are like a deer caught in headlights at that moment but given proper training they can learn how to overcome that. That's actually the kind of range time I'm really talking about, not just standing 25 or more yards from a target learning how to get a nice tight grouping. Rather someone talking you thru and showing you what to do in real life situations. What they call tactical firearm training at least in my area. And for those who can't afford a bunch of ammo some of the nicer ones offer a laser device to use during practice to avoid unintended accidents. Something like this that instead of firing a bullet hit what you're shooting at with a laser light.

HempKat

Veteran
Have you ever looked into restoring your gun rights, @HempKat? If you had the means would you want them restored?
Not really, I mean I've heard of ways to do it but it seems like it's a lot of hassle and there is no guarantee of success and at this point being 62 and having done without them all this time I'm not really pressed about it. If I was younger I'd probably give it a shot but at this point I figure why bother? Plus ironically per the discussion and since I lived on a limited fixed disability income, I'm one of those folks too poor to own a gun.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Not really, I mean I've heard of ways to do it but it seems like it's a lot of hassle and there is no guarantee of success and at this point being 62 and having done without them all this time I'm not really pressed about it. If I was younger I'd probably give it a shot but at this point I figure why bother? Plus ironically per the discussion and since I lived on a limited fixed disability income, I'm one of those folks too poor to own a gun.
I was curious due to reading on another forum of someone else having their gun rights restored after many years. This case occurred in Alabama.

HempKat

Veteran
I was curious due to reading on another forum of someone else having their gun rights restored after many years. This case occurred in Alabama.
Yeah it's possible, basically it entails either having your record expunged so that the felony block owning a gun is literally removed or I've also heard that if you can get a Governor of the state where the offense occurred to pardon you then it has the same effect although if you examine that more closely the pardon essentially results in an expungement of the charge so really it's just a different route to the same end result. The pardon angle is pretty rare unless there is something real questionable about the case such that the pardon undoes a charge that should never have happened. I also know of one case where the person got a pardon because he really turned his life around and was able to contribute back to the community if his record could be cleaned up but that's probably even more rare. Now getting a record expunged that's mostly a matter of just having learned your lesson and having spent a fair amount of time not repeating your mistakes. After enough time you can hire a lawyer and go thru a process where you go before the court and make the case as to why you deserve to have the charge removed. The success of which depends heavily on what type of crime got you the felony in the first place. In my case I was young and stupid and got myself into a state of blackout drunkeness such that I entered a house that wasn't my own, thinking it was and I was only able to do so because the owner left the door unlocked. I didn't steal anything, I didn't damage anything and nobody was hurt but I ended up getting charged with Nighttime breaking and entering which is a felony. Now that was over 40 years ago and I haven't done anything like that nor did I have a history of getting that drunk after that, so I would like to believe I probably have a fair shot at expungement. Alas it basically all boils down to whether or not the judge you go in front of wants to be a hardass about it and say "you did the crime, so you do the time" or if he's going to be more sympathetic and recognize that your staying out of trouble since shows that you changed your ways. I imagine it also matters to some extent what the reason is that you want the expungement. I'm willing to bet that if I said I wanted it so I could own a gun, I'd probably be denied. I think a better angle would be if I could demonstrate a job skill that usually requires a clean background to get hired. In my case that wouldn't be true and there is the matter of needing to hire a lawyer which I don't really have the money for and the fact that I could go thru all that and still be denied. So I just say the hell with it.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I've seen people unused to wielding a gun have the gun taken from them when they tried to use it. It's all fine and dandy to buy a gun for protection and if that's the level of protection needed then so be it but just having a gun isn't enough, they don't automatically bestow protection. If a person might find themselves needing to actually use a gun then they better damn well know how to use it and not experience a moment of hesitation when that time comes. They also need to know when the moment is right and when it's best to hold back. With or without a gun when the average person is confronted with a life or death situation there is that moment when they're hit with the fight or flight response. Some people are like a deer caught in headlights at that moment but given proper training they can learn how to overcome that. That's actually the kind of range time I'm really talking about [/URL]
if you are stupid enough to let someone threatening you get close enough to disarm you, you don't need a gun; indeed, you should not own one. all you are doing is giving a criminal a gun to victimize someone else with. i don't let anyone (NOBODY!) close in on me unless i know them very well, esp if there are more than one of them or my wife is with me. my wife is too trusting, not sure if life in church did that or what. i WANT to think most folks are good at heart, but just reading our local paper drills into you that that is a very foolish way to look at the world today. what is the wording on the sign at Langley? oh yes..."TRUST, BUT VERIFY" or, you can go along with the journalists creed i have read "if your mother tells you that she loves you, check it out..."

HempKat

Veteran
if you are stupid enough to let someone threatening you get close enough to disarm you, you don't need a gun; indeed, you should not own one. all you are doing is giving a criminal a gun to victimize someone else with. i don't let anyone (NOBODY!) close in on me unless i know them very well, esp if there are more than one of them or my wife is with me. my wife is too trusting, not sure if life in church did that or what. i WANT to think most folks are good at heart, but just reading our local paper drills into you that that is a very foolish way to look at the world today. what is the wording on the sign at Langley? oh yes..."TRUST, BUT VERIFY" or, you can go along with the journalists creed i have read "if your mother tells you that she loves you, check it out..."
Well it's not always far to say it's stupidity when someone lets someone threatening them get close enough to disarm them. Sure in some cases it might be but I can't help but feel a lot of the times it's just panic and not being properly trained. I bet a lot of the times when that happens it is because the person with the gun thought just showing the gun would be enough and when it proves to not be enough the freeze at the thought of suddenly having to face the taking of another life. I'm sure many experienced gun owners know better and see it as just stupidity but they've likely already come to grips with what it means to take someone's life but for an inexperienced person that can be a very heavy thing to come to terms with when in the middle of a life or death situation. It's precisely because of that which makes me say some sort of mandated training could be beneficial because it's exactly that sort of thing that they try and teach people as well as how to properly hold a gun, to not keep your finger on the trigger unless you're fixing to use it, to not point a gun at someone else you plan on shooting them, etc.

'Boogieman'

Proud that my state of Indiana just passed concealed carry, now I can carry my pistol in my jacket. I hope this makes Gary a safer place.

Volcanna

Veteran
Lol. No shit?
95B7B479-E51A-4A8A-A878-B1E810C52C53.jpeg

GuyManDude

what makes me shake my head is that people blame guns and not people. Blaming an inanimate object for anything is an act of insanity in itself. I loaded both of my handguns (.357 Magnum revolver and .40 Glock model 23) and let them sit on my coffee table for a week. No one was shot, not me or my dogs. it's not the tool. it is the very sad state of our society that is the problem.

Three Berries

what makes me shake my head is that people blame guns and not people. Blaming an inanimate object for anything is an act of insanity in itself. I loaded both of my handguns (.357 Magnum revolver and .40 Glock model 23) and let them sit on my coffee table for a week. No one was shot, not me or my dogs. it's not the tool. it is the very sad state of our society that is the problem.
Guns aren't a problem unless you want to control the people who own them.