What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green Acres - Yosemite Foothills

jbarsk8

Living the dream man!

Amoeba, thank you for stopping by. Sometimes i do pinch myself but there are two sides to every coin. Yes it is dreamlike. Yes i absolutely love it, but sometimes the workload mentally and physically are damn near debilitating......which probably also make the sweetness of the berry taste that much better.

jbarsk8

Loving the pics, stories, and natural features of the land! Subbed :D

Bigdank, i appreciate that very much. Certainly a couple cool feautures this land was blessed with. Once this parcel is paid off, it will be time to make some real money finding gold and lost treasure. Anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

jbarsk8

Very nice setup man :) cant wait to see them grow :) take care Bro

Thx for stopping in Klint.

They sure are starting to take off, what a great time of year, seedlings sitting under the big Ole sun as well, can't beat mother nature's skill level.

jbarsk8

Just blasted them with water today. I really like to go light on water at the beginning to make those ladies work and get those roots deep. Hit each 40' box with 250 gallons a piece and 150 gallons on the 24' box. As stoned trout would say....yeeeeehaw

jbarsk8

its been a while, these bearded mountain ranch brothers miss u! -gcg

There you are my friend. Just the gentlemen i was referring to! I hope life is going great up there.

Just tried to send you private message but not sure it is allowing me to? Maybe need to have more posts?

jbarsk8

Couple pics, weather has been awesome...the girls are entering what we call "ape shit mode ."

Seedlings in shade house making their transition outside, also have a funky mutant. It is a Lake tahoe og x afgoo..tahoe goo.

Everytime im up here and im very thankful i am not down in that valley (central valley) breathing in that horrific air.

Cheers

jbarsk8

Easter style farmer dinner consists of a thick fatty ribeye (favorite cut) and some discounted day old jalapeno poppers that will be grilled until cream cheeze starts oozing and pleasing my stomach. Happy easter to all!

jbarsk8

2 days of cold starting today....will be mid 30s the next 2 nights so i will bring my seedlings inside to give them some warmth. Hopefully this is the last of the cold....

bigherb

Veteran
Jb

Looking good I'll be posted for your progress

I'm curious what's the green house dimension ?

Also curious what's ideal spacing for those rows of two plants like you have ? How much space is between the plants and how much is on the sides ?

1luvbigherb

jbarsk8

Jb

Looking good I'll be posted for your progress

I'm curious what's the green house dimension ?

Also curious what's ideal spacing for those rows of two plants like you have ? How much space is between the plants and how much is on the sides ?

1luvbigherb

Bigherb, thanks for stopping by!

The planter box itself is 4' x 40'. 2' walkways on both sides and some end space so roughly 8' x 45' on the hoophouses. I do have one about half the size with the planter box being 4' x 24'. As far as spacing, im still experimenting. I showed pics with the 2 rows but i also have one with slightly less plants but 3 rows. The box you see, they are spaced 1 foot apart and 16" from eachother width wise. In the end, i dont think the spacing will make too much of a difference because i will be scrogging everything with the net fairly low so if they get crowded i will just train them away from each other if that makes any sense.....hope that helps a little.....

jbarsk8

how are you attaching the plastic? I bet you get some real wind there

Yes it does get pretty windy at times. I just use the cheap spring squeeze style clamps from home depot or lowes. I have had winds so strong it blew the plastic off like a parachute, once in 3 years ripped plastic off all 3 hoophouses at once, but didnt lose a single plant. Clamps are nice because you can raise or lower sides very easily depending on temps and humidity.

Last edited:

jbarsk8

Brrrr....cold out. Weather changes in the blink of an eye out here in the sierras. The top of the ranch is currently being swallowed by some dense clouds, you can smell the moisture in the air....

One of my favorite things about living with nature are the lessons that it teaches you. Ive learned countless things just from observing and listening. Here is a current lesson:

This is a birdsnest that was first built about 2 years ago. Many different species of birds have used it. Smaller ones and birds so big that the chicks were falling out of the nest when they hatched due to lack of space. So this season, the birds gave it a touch up. You can see they added some new architecture and engineering on the top to spruce it up a bit. The larger branch you see is actually a marijuana stalk that they picked up from somewhere on the ranch. I believe the lesson is to use things that work. Things dont have to be perfect, they dont have to be the nicest or most expensive, they just have to be enough to get the job done.....

TriSierra

im up in the northern sierra's - butte and yuba. we typically see a cold snap in the last two weeks of may, so im guessing there will be more weather on its way.

i like when the plants enter full ape shit mode:biggrin: