What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green Acres - Yosemite Foothills

jbarsk8

Mid 30s out right now, girls don't like when it gets that cold. Hoping it will be coldest night for the rest of the year. Id guess temps in hoops hover about 5-10 degrees warmer than that. Come on sun, let's get some heat on those things. Greenhouse effect let's go

Cold here too. Looks like another storm in a week then hopefully thats it. Do you use a propane burner, or keep your pots raised on pallets?

jbarsk8

Cold here too. Looks like another storm in a week then hopefully thats it. Do you use a propane burner, or keep your pots raised on pallets?

Neither my friend. Hoops have planter boxes running down the center 4'x40'. Its enough mass and absorbs enough heat that it essentially radiates back into hoops and keeps ambient temps above what it is outside just enough to make a nice difference. Ive grown plants when it is 20 degrees outside with no heaters in the hoops, granted plants are stressed and definitely slows down their metabolism, but gets resinous as hell....great for any form of hash

jbarsk8

Great for a no till organic type method or could hand mix it or could even run a damn rototiller straight down the damn thing

jbarsk8

So, i mentioned earlier i had a couple springs on the ranch. I feel very blessed to have these. They run year round and where i get 100% of my water for the plants and anything else. They do slow down towards end of summer but ive been told they have never run dry. Tons of gold around here and gold evidence and i can tell the miners have been tapping these things probably for hundreds of years if not more. Why do i think that? Old old rough cut lumber still visible in certain areas with old tongue n groove and dowel type joints that were used for dams, very old iron pipe must be from 49r days. Tons of gold and history here. Neighbors have two mines that have been worked in their family for over 150 years. They are below me in elevation....gold falls downhill, placer anyway. Anyways, thought maybe id show pics of "upper" spring. Prehistoric, simple, sweet......

El nino has made this thing flow better than i have seen in 4 years. Notice in last pic, no water flow on surface of ground, all naturally filtered subsurface.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
barsk8, is it worth it having the water tested? I'm just curious if you think it's necessary or not. I'm looking for property with water like that, but I've always wondered if you need to have it tested or not.

I had a friend that lived in Sonoma county that had artesian wells on his property. The water collected in these big caves dug by hand into the hillside by the old Italians that used to grow grapes on his property way back in the day. One of the coolest things I've ever seen on a property was those caves.

HB.

jbarsk8

barsk8, is it worth it having the water tested? I'm just curious if you think it's necessary or not. I'm looking for property with water like that, but I've always wondered if you need to have it tested or not.

I had a friend that lived in Sonoma county that had artesian wells on his property. The water collected in these big caves dug by hand into the hillside by the old Italians that used to grow grapes on his property way back in the day. One of the coolest things I've ever seen on a property was those caves.

HB.

Hemphrey, that is a great question. I personally believe it is all relative. How much skin do you have in the game? What i mean by that......if its a rental, and your 5k deep (nothing for outdoor) as long as native vegetation surrounding spring....drinking from spring...is good then go for it. You can make it work even if it takes some ph or balance adjustment in your dirt to accomplish that. If you bought the place, youre scared, your success essentially depends on outcome of first harvest....hell ya get it tested. I didnt test mine. I bought this from a guy who grew here for 15 years. Was so old school he had all this land and grew guerilla style hiding every plant on the property so it couldnt be seem from the air. I already knew id be ok. Just fyi tho.....Im pretty sure ive put my blue lab ph pen in there and it came out close to 7.5 ph or so....tons of mineral content, iron etc. growing organically the microbes have a way of fixing everything for you. Ph of my soil is spot on and ive not had one issue. Mother nature has this thing figured out. Like i said, i figure if all surrounding vegetation is literally sitting in the spring like a perfect mother nature DWC, cant really beat it.

jbarsk8

Ive been asked a few times about hoophouses at night. What to do. Its pretty simple. Get some lights in those things....doesnt have to be much....just enough to keep them in veg, the sun will do the rest. Oh yea, and make sure either you have some cool neighbors, or they are far enough away that it doesnt matter.

jbarsk8

Hope everyone is doing great. Weather has been pretty nice here. Figured id show a pic of a few ladies. Gonna show you hoop 1. Strain is Mk Ultra. I got them from a buddy. Asked him if they had any issues, bugs, mold, etc. of course i was told no. Ya ya. Yall know how that goes. They had spider mites and mold and they were tiny so had a tough time pulling through. Tried to turn them around a little bit before i put in the hoops. They will get another 2 weeks veg give or take a couple days. I will be putting a screen above the whole planter box and doing my best to achieve a vicious canopy of flowers. What i like to see to know my plants are "taking" is if they are tracking the sun. When you see all the ladies following the sun like a row of automated solar panels, you can typically breathe and relax a little, just a little.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts