What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green Acres - Yosemite Foothills

I have considered doing this on a % of my plants because of advice from some others. I have never trained or topped full season outdoor, but I keep hearing from others that I should.

Care to explain why you recommend it? Just more lateral growth or does it allow roots to set and become larger than the plant mass?

If I were you, I'd stick to removing the bigger leaves that may be blocking off new growth. Once removed, the new, smaller growth is given a lot more room to grow and they really bush out quickly. Also, watch a few videos on topping and fimming, really a life saver if you're worrying about your plants being spotted because of their height.

Hey jbrask, I was wondering, what are the dimensions of your hoop houses? And why do you seemingly have no concern for choppers?

I have considered doing this on a % of my plants because of advice from some others. I have never trained or topped full season outdoor, but I keep hearing from others that I should.

Care to explain why you recommend it? Just more lateral growth or does it allow roots to set and become larger than the plant mass?

I haven't done a side by side on this with pics in a while now. I like doing a cut at this stage because all the secondary branches are well establish and ready to "compete" to be that "next" apical meristem. I think it asks a lot out of the plant to do this at this stage, so having a healthy plant, as always, is key. I like *for the most part* the shape it gives *most* strains compared to what they would tend to do naturally.

I think it usually makes for a much more manageable plant in terms of trellising and inspection. Increased yield due to more budsites and a more homogenous flower size in the end is deseriable to some as well. I don't have much science on this one, mostly just what I've done and observed over the years.

I like to see what a plant does naturally first, usually in a light dep or indoor situation. When it comes to the full term babies though, I'm looking for max sun exposure to the most surface area. :tiphat:

jbarsk8

If I were you, I'd stick to removing the bigger leaves that may be blocking off new growth. Once removed, the new, smaller growth is given a lot more room to grow and they really bush out quickly. Also, watch a few videos on topping and fimming, really a life saver if you're worrying about your plants being spotted because of their height.

Hey jbrask, I was wondering, what are the dimensions of your hoop houses? And why do you seemingly have no concern for choppers?

Hoop house were roughly 8' x 45' with a 4'x40' box running down the middle. I have no concern for choppers because 1) they dont start flying heavy around here until late july and they will be gone by then and 2) there just isnt the funding to go after guys like me. I have 24 plants visible from the air. You can suspect whats in my hoops but with cartel littered everywhere around here i am the least of LEOs problems. They work from the top to the bottom around here with many busts being over 15k-20k plants.

jbarsk8

I haven't done a side by side on this with pics in a while now. I like doing a cut at this stage because all the secondary branches are well establish and ready to "compete" to be that "next" apical meristem. I think it asks a lot out of the plant to do this at this stage, so having a healthy plant, as always, is key. I like *for the most part* the shape it gives *most* strains compared to what they would tend to do naturally.

I think it usually makes for a much more manageable plant in terms of trellising and inspection. Increased yield due to more budsites and a more homogenous flower size in the end is deseriable to some as well. I don't have much science on this one, mostly just what I've done and observed over the years.

I like to see what a plant does naturally first, usually in a light dep or indoor situation. When it comes to the full term babies though, I'm looking for max sun exposure to the most surface area. :tiphat:

Thanks for the info man i really appreciate it. Id prefer perfect globes or spheres over a taller cylinder for sure. Homogenous bud size and manageability of plant are big keys for me. Massive arm long flowers scream outdoor and need to be broken down anyway.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
i like tom hill's modified "pistil-whipping" tech for pruning. it's like the opposite of topping

bigherb

Veteran
i like tom hill's modified "pistil-whipping" tech for pruning. it's like the opposite of topping

I'm very curious about this technique , I'd appreciate if you could share info / link

I've tried google search , If I recall Tom deleted some of his post . I can't find any quotes from him on pistil whipping

Knowledge is power , I'm always open to new things . I also dig your grows soo if it something you practice its got to be productive

1luvbigherb

jbarsk8

I'm very curious about this technique , I'd appreciate if you could share info / link

I've tried google search , If I recall Tom deleted some of his post . I can't find any quotes from him on pistil whipping

Knowledge is power , I'm always open to new things . I also dig your grows soo if it something you practice its got to be productive

1luvbigherb

Thx for stopping by bigherb

Hoop house were roughly 8' x 45' with a 4'x40' box running down the middle. I have no concern for choppers because 1) they dont start flying heavy around here until late july and they will be gone by then and 2) there just isnt the funding to go after guys like me. I have 24 plants visible from the air. You can suspect whats in my hoops but with cartel littered everywhere around here i am the least of LEOs problems. They work from the top to the bottom around here with many busts being over 15k-20k plants.

Oh true I remember you mentioning that earlier in the thread now. So what do you have in there, 2 rows of 20? Or 4 rows of 40?

bigherb

Veteran
i searched google for "tom hill pistil whip"

found a thread with an old post from tom quoted, with pics n everything.

here ya go:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3000630&postcount=62

Appreciated

Makes sense it's less stress and leaves energy collectors as Mr hill calls it . I know you said you like it , have you tried it ? If soo have you seen significance in this method

Too bad he's gone , aside from some episodes he was full of info .

1luvbigherb

The Revolution

Veteran
Ive been asked a few times about hoophouses at night. What to do. Its pretty simple. Get some lights in those things....doesnt have to be much....just enough to keep them in veg, the sun will do the rest. Oh yea, and make sure either you have some cool neighbors, or they are far enough away that it doesnt matter.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39239&pictureid=1579036&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Pretty sweet thread man! Im just getting started on it, but I will be reading in its entirety! Ive been thinking about building a little hoophouse for a few years. I think Im gna have to pull the trigger this year! Are these just pvc pipe, and poly plastic? What type of plastic would you recommend? Would any old thick width tought poly do the trick?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Appreciated

Makes sense it's less stress and leaves energy collectors as Mr hill calls it . I know you said you like it , have you tried it ? If soo have you seen significance in this method

yes i do it on all my big plants. i never top i just prune off the inner branches and leave the fan leaves on like tom showed. it makes them explode

cryptop

Just stumbled upon this thread for the first time... was gonna take a nap, but seeing the pics of your property was like drinking 5 cups of coffee and a red bull.... now time for an all nighter of work so I can work and get a place like that someday!

Definitely am readily anticipating the early fall updates, hope all is well with you jb!

Latest posts

Latest posts