What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

dr. greenthumb

Gsizzle

ICMag Donor
Veteran
so the ecsd s1 is legit? thought rez had stated that it's impossible to create an SD s1? anyway...as i said earlier, the ghost og s1 is 100% legit og kush...fire.

Read a report recently that the Dr. G ECSD S1 was even better then the original and consider the best smoke they have come to enjoy to date. This coming from someone that to my understanding has been through quite a few clone only strains. Sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder and a price cant be put on that. So to some not having the potential to obtain clone only but have a chance of getting something similar or better. The price may be little to no concern. Those that have means of obtaining clone only strains and going through dozen of seeds for keepers this may be very silly to do.

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i guess it's cool if we talk about other breeders now? i've grown the ghost og s1s..pure fire. anyone else try some of his gear?

i grew them out too and was pleased.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mg75

grew his C99, EndlessSky, BubbaKush, and now doing ECSD.
the C99 was good and looked exactly like his pic on his site. the BubbaKush was amazing and turned purple at the end. both has low yields but produced exceptional medicine. his EndlessSky yielded ok, was strong but lacked flavor. His ECSD is 5 weeks in and looking stellar.

SneekyFarmer

I was interested in a couple strains he has and called him to get some prices and info! He was a rude asshole.. Price did'nt matter after I spoke to him!

I

Iron_Lion

so the ecsd s1 is legit? thought rez had stated that it's impossible to create an SD s1?

He did say it herms like a mofo if S1'd.

Even reserva privada that fems everything went the long route when creating their "sour d" and did Original SOur D x Sour Cream (Sour d x G13Haze) then did a BX to the original sour female. I dont like their choice of outcross but that has to tell you something if they didnt just fem it like they do everything else.

Swerve took the long way when he made his too and did Sour D x Sour/OG BX male.

And again Reeferman did SOur D x Rez's SSSDH then maybe a BX to make his Sour Diesel, another one I dont like the haze influence when going for sour.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I grew the Big Laughing and Ghost OG S1 indoors and was very pleased with both.

I have the Auto Iranian and will be starting it soon.:)

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
I've grown most of Doc's offerings over the years and can say that he is as legit a breeder as you can get and will vouch for him. If you don't like the prices then don't buy them, pretty simple.
Doc can be short with people but he doesn't like people wasting his time, with that being said, he is probably the only breeder that the public can actually call and talk to personally. He does what he does and he does it well (his botanical knowledge is immense and could probably rival even Chimera's, or at least come close as he's been around the block much longer). If you call him up or email with an attitude then he probably will school you and not want to deal much with you in the future. just as any other seed bank or breeder would. A little sugar goes a long way when talking to people instead of just coming straight out with an attitude.
He keeps his seeds directly under his control because then it is only him that is responsible for any mistakes, concerns, or worry of having any fakes sent by seed banks.
The one thing I don't like is that Doc has followed the trend of feminizing most of his personal strains, I can understand making the clone only varieties available to the masses as S1's but the man is an amazing breeder with some incredible stock so hopefully we'll see him get back to some old school breeding with some new regular strains.

Peace,
KF

CaptainTrips

Well that makes all the difference, as long as I get that third seed.
:laughing:

This guy sounds like a first rate ass hat. Pricing like that means I'll NEVER even look at his stuff.

Sannnie, on the other hand, here I come.

Lol. Unless the freebie seed is another G13, its still $100 bucks a seed. For that price, he should be guaranteeing delivery and germination, and perhaps coming to water your plants.

thegambler

Yes, the freebie is another G13 seed- I thought that was clear. Even though it says 2 seeds, he sends 3 on this strain.......

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
Look for the grape pheno in the G13 (you'll know it when you start to smell it about 6 - 7 weeks into flower), from what I've seen it's not too common to find, most are a blandish, very light fruity with some burning tire rubber thrown in for good measure. All phenos yield like a mofo though and have a very nice effect, some more potent than others but all the plants I've grown and tried had really nice potency (you just need to find the grape pheno to consistently smoke the stuff as it tastes less than exemplary, but from what I understand the original also did not possess a very nice terpene profile, just potency). I agree it's a little overpriced but when you know Doc's production rates and the actual time put into it, it's really not that expensive with the extra seed. It's also not a strain for everyone and people should do some really good research before buying it as it is best grown under certain conditions that most people can't provide and is really a just a strain for cash cropping or breeding stock as it crosses VERY well, unless of course you are lucky and find a pheno with with a really nice terpene profile. People are going bitch when he finally gets his Chemo S1's out to the masses as that will also probably have a hefty tag on it too but he's been working on that even longer than the G13.
I was the first person to get Docs G13 and know the whole story about it but won't say anything as it's caused some conflict online before (obviously as it's G13, or at least the first and most representative of G13 that has ever been offered in seed form). He paid an enormous sum for the cut as did a certain European breeder (not Arjan, his cheap ass wouldn't cough up the dough for the cut, but he was offered it and passed on it), worked on it for many years before being the first to release it, and had a really hard time stabilizing it before finally letting it out to the public. He doesn't use chemicals to self the elite clones or feminize his own strains, hence it can take a very long time to find the right method of selfing that doesn't result in herms for a particular strain. People need to understand that a strain such as ECSD or Trainwreck that is selfed by any means, the resulting generations will still carry that herm trait and need to be treated exactly as the original clone would be, otherwise I've never had a plant of his herm on me. He is also the only breeder I know of (at least commercial) that has been able to offer a real Exodus Cheese seed as the Exodus clone is known to be extremely hard to self (his actually throw the double serrated leaves the Exodus is known for).

Peace,
KF

Str8Dank

i agree his prices are high but i don't knock him for it he's just trying to do what the nutrient and equipment manufactures do to us.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Doc's (sic) botanical knowledge is immense and could probably rival even Chimera's, or at least come close as he's been around the block much longer).

We ran in similar circles for a few years, many years ago, and without trying to divert this thread, or pull some ego-based chest thumping... I feel I need to set the record straight.

For the record, that the above statement is simply not true. I'm doing stuff nobody else in cannabis is doing right now. You'll see the initial offerings on shelves by year's end, and you can re-evaluate how true the above statement is then. I am working with scientists, researchers, chemists, engineers... the list is long and impresses even me, and I'm a tough person to impress, haha. ;)

I wish Doc all the best, as I do anyone working in our field... but let's at least keep it real. With all due respect, Doc and I are not in the same boat.

I hesitate to even post this, as I'm sure it will be taken by some as egotistical boasting or self-promotion, but when af sent me this link I felt the need to set the record straight.

Respectfully,
-Chimera

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
one more thing.. I don't care how good the individual seed is, there is no traditional cannabis seed subject to the intricacies of sexual recombination, worth $100. Cannabis is simply too heterogeneous and variable for any seed produced via conventional means, to demand that price and guarantee the desired outcome.... certainly no S1 seed is worth that price tag. That type of pricing is gouging, and people willing to pay such for a seed are woefully manipulated by marketing hype, have money to throw away, or are just plain ignorant.

My $0.02,
-Chimera

thegambler

one more thing.. I don't care how good the individual seed is, there is no traditional cannabis seed subject to the intricacies of sexual recombination, worth $100. Cannabis is simply too heterogeneous and variable for any seed produced via conventional means, to demand that price and guarantee the desired outcome.... certainly no S1 seed is worth that price tag. That type of pricing is gouging, and people willing to pay such for a seed are woefully manipulated by marketing hype, have money to throw away, or are just plain ignorant.

My $0.02,
-Chimera

Exactly..............

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
We ran in similar circles for a few years, many years ago, and without trying to divert this thread, or pull some ego-based chest thumping... I feel I need to set the record straight.

For the record, that the above statement is simply not true. I'm doing stuff nobody else in cannabis is doing right now. You'll see the initial offerings on shelves by year's end, and you can re-evaluate how true the above statement is then. I am working with scientists, researchers, chemists, engineers... the list is long and impresses even me, and I'm a tough person to impress, haha. ;)

I wish Doc all the best, as I do anyone working in our field... but let's at least keep it real. With all due respect, Doc and I are not in the same boat.

I hesitate to even post this, as I'm sure it will be taken by some as egotistical boasting or self-promotion, but when af sent me this link I felt the need to set the record straight.

Respectfully,
-Chimera

No doubt about it Chimera, you are the man (and no offense at the response). I highly respect your knowledge and strains (and I really mean that), you are the whole package. I was not implying that Doc is in the same league as you on the cutting edge of the field and is working with such renowned people and entities that you are or may be, only that he has a vast amount of knowledge, more so in the old school tradition and has the stock and ability to back it up should he choose to use it. Some of the older breeders have some knowledge that can only come with experience which becomes intuitive because of the length of time and experience doing what you do. I've carried many a conversation with Doc and believe me he is not lacking in any botanical sense and can run with any the old school breeders.
I am looking very forward to the culminations of some of your projects and collaborations and believe they will be the cutting edge of the new botany, especially the OG Kush project. I've even had arguments with people who don't believe your abilities or some of the leading minds you may be working with today but I have the faith in you and what you do and say.

Peace,
KF

Karmic Farmer

Veteran

My $0.02,
-Chimera

Absolutely correct, I would not pay that much for any strain either. I was sent a six pack to journal and that is why I probably found the nice pheno.
S1's do vary, mostly in the end products terpenes and potency so people shouldn't expect an exact replica of the clone. I did say I didn't like the fact that the price is so high for that strain although the other strains he sells have something to offer to everyone at many price levels and the quality is good to great depending on the gardener.

Peace,
KF