What's new

dr. greenthumb

Harpo

We don't need no stinking labs!

Jumping genes jehosophat.
Wish my dreams upon a star, or a plasmid?
Labs identified G13, decades and decades ago. What else?
All the rest, all the great varietals of yesteryear and today, all of the elites. All, except for G13, have been found by dedicated smokers and growers, not labs, nor, seed venders.
Sometimes the Goddess smiles on growers who live with their plants, and, for their plants. It don't take no fancy, smancy lab, and edy-kation. Meld with your grow.
Labs?
Umgawa

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
Jumping genes jehosophat.
Wish my dreams upon a star, or a plasmid?
Labs identified G13, decades and decades ago. What else?
All the rest, all the great varietals of yesteryear and today, all of the elites. All, except for G13, have been found by dedicated smokers and growers, not labs, nor, seed venders.
Sometimes the Goddess smiles on growers who live with their plants, and, for their plants. It don't take no fancy, smancy lab, and edy-kation. Meld with your grow.
Labs?
Umgawa

Wait so people actually believe the government created g13

gettogro

Veteran
Doc's G13

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I run Doc's G13. You get 3 seeds for $200. I got mine for free because I agreed to do a tree journal on another site a year ago. I personally dont think they are worth that price. The strain is NOT the be all end all for yield. It is a high yielder but I have since matched my record yield g13 2.5 lbs with an OG raskals white fire. I popped 2 nirvana white rhino and got a keeper that will match the g13's yield with a more marketable smell. Maybe I didn't get the magic beanstalk pheno . Out of three, 1 was a runt, the other 2 were good but still different. I kept 1 out of the three and still run it in a couple spots in my garden. I think if they were 5 fem beans for $100 they would defiantly be worth it. I recently paid $120 for 5 femed starbud beans and im not complaining.

eastbeast

good thread.
I've spent a lot of money over the years on beans and i will probably spend a lot more in the years to come.. some of these genetics i will probably never get a chance to grow out lol.. some of these purchases have been quite pricey and it seems that every year the prices go up 15-20%. i don't like going the clone/dispensary route as i am a serial bean popper with an addiction to finding that special pheno. sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. Nowadays it seems like the best/most stable genetics or s1's are all over $100 a pack, and there are PLENTY of "breeders" who are charging these prices and higher.
I've bought from the doc over the phone on two occasions; the first time i talked to him, the second his secretary(wife?)... i was courteous and respectful and so were they; when informed that the iranian g13 was sold out he recommended some other strains with similar characteristics and prices and went on to detail the growth patterns for me. i also emailed him twice and got a prompt response both times.

Yes the g13 is ridiculously expensive. Would i buy it? hell no. but there are 30 other strains in his catalogue that are all in the $100-$200 price range that have gotten (mostly)positive reviews and you have to admit, look very tempting. Both times i ordered i got 11 seeds and they all germed and had great vigor. Honestly if i was going to spend this much $$$ on beans i would rather buy from him than say soma, sensi, or even CC or Nice(got burned by them before :( maybe next time). but thats just me.
And no i'm not a spammer or a troll or whatever and am a supporter of paradise, reserva privada, and SOL...
this is a $$$ industry; you have to pick and choose and honestly as a consumer you have to make the choice that best serves your interest. maybe i'm being a dick but buying from a "legit" or "reputable" breeder doesn't help me if only half the pack germinates or herms

just my .02

SCARHOLE

I think dutch passion beat chimera an Tom hill to the punch on this one.he has been kinda bragging about hisExact pheno clone seeds.
Ortega also has talked of this technology applied to cannabis.
But it's just small scale tissue cultures done for resale.
Not that revolutionary, but Dam cool.

I'm very let down with the scientist breeders like chimera who are scared of modifying genes of cannabis.
Guys like dr Sam Zwenger are decades ahead of all the breeders current work with cannabis.
Mabey one day they will find one with the balls to modify tissue culture callus with Agrobacterium like Sam Zwenger Tought us in his "biotech of cannabis sativa" thesis. I want a mad scientist / breeder.

Idk if greenthumb is old school.
16 yrs in Buisness,45 yrs growing an selecting is good Enuff for me. I'd bet doc knows his shit.
If I remember correctly doc was the first shop offering many clone only strains like Og, bubba,an Chemdog and more
Seems like most nowadays are copying him an They all look like crosses off his menu.
S1s are almost clones in a seed with all the genetics of the mama. I'd prefer docs s1s to chimera f7s.
An he pays good money for cuts to breed with them. He's not stealing ghosts Og or Ortegas g13 he bought them.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scrappy-doo

Bro I'm sure your hole has a scar for a reason. I hope you brought the vaseline this time.

Woozy

he always sends an extra seed with his packs, ive grown his iranian varieties, great dank, all outdoor, yield and high is pretty good. alot of people for some reason only hate on his prices, but an oz of bud can buy you more than enough seeds. I dont understand why people cry when it comes to expensive seeds, you may not sell bud or anything, but its illegal to grow ( risking thousands to fines, seizures, robbery, etc), for the most part, your equipment is alot more expensive(in the thousands), the property( hundreds of thousands) again alot more expensive, a couple hundred bucks for some awesome genetics, why not?. If i was investing in a indoor garden, his gear would definitely be in my budget. and stumbling upon a killer pheno is just a bonus. his chem 4 and ghost og is crazy, a couple friends of mine rock his gear.

thegambler

It's actually more about his poor customer service, including his nastyness when you call for help. Some of his strains are poor, i.e. Endless Sky and that's well documented now but he continues to rant and rave about the quality. He sends his computer shills out criticizing growers who knock his products too and they are easily noticed since they have zero or 1 posts and then often verbally attack previous posters. He's finally updated some of the web site to correct his flowering times after being called out by a number of excellent growers and mods. Then add in his reputation for poor germination rates on some strains, and the prices....... either love him or hate him but there are numerous other breeders that one can purchase from and feel more confident with.

Blis84

All I have to say is doc should be ashamed of himself, now from what I understand he did pay 20,000 dollars for the g13 cut from Ortega I believe who did say it was legit, so I guess he's trying to recoup his money but what he doesn't understand is he's a dealer, and like any dealer you make more money by lowering the cost of your superior product which doc does have, then more and more people buy would buy his genetics hence making more money. his endless sky is second to none seriously potent, smells like your in a field of exotic flowers, tastes the same, very good yielder, great bag appeal with grandaddy density nugs just bigger, his big purps is one of the top 5 strains I smoked, very unique like nothi g I've ever had and I lived in amsterdamn for a month and California for 15 years smoking, his flook juice big purps x endless sky is 2nd best bud I've ever smoked covered in crystals look like golf ball size snow balls, it combines the best traits of each, endless skys floral aroma and taste shines through with a unique twist from the big purps which also adds some purple. very similar in look to nirvana ice, which is seriously potent too def a top 5 also. Docs ghost og is crazy, best og I've had along with his trainwreck which is the best train I've had, his chem 4 potent huge yielder, jazz is great outdoors, stay away from oh zone, the dope which wasn't bad just nothing special, bubba kush which he's selling for 200 for 2 seeds not one sprouted and I bought a ten pack for 150 dollars a few years before he started raping everyone with obserd prices. Then he wouldn't send me more unless I returned the seeds that didn't sprout which I never heard before In The years of doing business in the past now in defense to doc I didn't talk to him I talked to the secretary now I believe if I had talked to doc he would've hooked me up seeing as I dropped 3-4 gs with him as you can see by the strains of his I describe above. I've also had his matanuska which he claims is sativa but from what I hear is supposed to be indica dominant also a matanuska only gave me 1 female out of a ten pack and that female never flowered, but now he has fem version so maybe I just got a bad pack. Now I use bodhi genetics along with mr nice, hazeman, gage green, cannaventure and I love them which is the reason I stopped going to doc that being said if his prices were better his endless, flook, big purps, jazz, ghost og would all be mainstays for me. I understand doc charging more than other breeders because 90 percent of everything I've run from him was exactly as advertised something that is very rare in this game and his genetics r truly to notch but why can't he charge 175 for 10 packs of his elites and maybe 250 for 5 g13 seeing as from what I hear is and unbelievable breeding strain because of its potency and huge yields adding something like grape stomper or mango haze, blowfish, 88 g13 x HP will make some special bud. My cousin has seeds of those crosses on the way can't wait to try. If doc were to lower his prices and give out a couple freebies he would be a top 5 breeder as far as sales go I guarantee it.

Blis84

Not sure which endless sky u grew but i got two packs in 2009 before he supposedly lost the ES mother or something to that effect, not sure if its true, but the ES I grew was the best bud I ever smoked, tasted like fruity flowers and smelled the same like your walking in a field of exotic fruits and flowers, that being said I only got maybe 6 or 7 keepers in 2 packs and 3 that had absolutely everything potency 10, great head high and complete body high, taste 10, yield 7-8 out of 10, bag appeal 9, fairly dense grandaddy shaped nugs just bigger so if you know how to clone and doc didn't lose is ES mother every smoker should have this strain in there garden, same with his flook juice and big purps, his og ghost is out of this world best og I've had

codger

You get 2 seeds plus one freebie on Doc's G13 for $200 so it's really $66 per seed, not $100 per. I grew the original G13 back in 1989 from The Seedbank (Nevil's company). Pic's I've seen of Doc's G13 is the closest to the original way back that I've ever seen. It sure does look close to the original. But that being said- after numerous bad experiences with him and his beans- I would never again consider giving him a dollar. There are too many other places to buy high quality strains with reasonable pricing......and the quality is just as good.
Nevil never sold pure G13 the seedcompany only sold the hybrids of the clone after it died. Now I hear it came back to life,lol that's another story on to itself I guess.....codger

codger

I had nothing but good luck the two times I got seeds from Greenthumb.

Not too pricey in the old days. Delivery was prompt. Stealth packaging was adequate and similar to others I've seen from half a dozen different seed venders which I've used over the years.

I've grown out Greenthumb's Malawi and Acapulco Gold. Both were outstanding land race weed. The AG buds turned a light gold, even the small stems, in late flower.

The first time I ever got high was on AG in 1972. The high is distinct. A floating, out of body, giddy experience. Greenghumb's AG was right on.

Greenthumb's Malawi high was as clear and strong as any Mr. Nice SSH I've grown. Malawi doesn't taste like haze. Malawi buds taste like fresh turned garden earth smells, mixed with a black pepper tang.

I hope the good Doctor goes back on the road collecting other outstanding land race strains.

Umgawa
A. Gold never grew gold it had that color from the girdling of the stem and the slow drying process they used on the cure. You must of had a special phenol.

D

DryNobBob

Three weeks ago, a pard of mine spent 600 on G13 and something called Freedom 35, sounds like my dog bug juice, hehe. Anyhow, very poor germ rate,none popped, 50 other beans popped. Some bubblegum chewin gal was on the phone when he called per some customer service. He didn't get any. I was told at another site all you had to do was email and he'd take care of ya. My pard has not heard a word yet. Just one man's experience.

It's actually more about his poor customer service, including his nastyness when you call for help. Some of his strains are poor, i.e. Endless Sky and that's well documented now but he continues to rant and rave about the quality. He sends his computer shills out criticizing growers who knock his products too and they are easily noticed since they have zero or 1 posts and then often verbally attack previous posters. He's finally updated some of the web site to correct his flowering times after being called out by a number of excellent growers and mods. Then add in his reputation for poor germination rates on some strains, and the prices....... either love him or hate him but there are numerous other breeders that one can purchase from and feel more confident with.

codger

Hi KF,

after re-reading both my initial reply, and your post, I felt the need to clarify something.

One thing I hate about this business is the degree of celebrity that those in the business receive. I don't do this work to be put-up on a pedestal... really I'm a bit of a science geek and don't want to be a celebrity. You'll never see me on stage at a Cannabis Cup for example; if you ever see me ego-ing out on stage telling the word how cool I am, please egg me and bring me back down to earth!! This is the reason I don't enter these events- and I'm ok with allowing the people in this industry to think they have the best cannabis... I don't want to shatter their worldview with the truth. ;)

I've said this a few times recently... in what other species are plant breeders celebrities? This year at Spannabis, it seemed all the big banks had video cameras taking videos so they could produce web-documentaries showing 'how cool they are'. They put more money into these videos than they do development of new products, which are mostly bought from others and hacked for profit.

The really sad thing is that stories like the above (the Columbian story) are the norm, not the exception. This whole industry is created on the myth and lies that these seedbanks actually do work to produce what customers buy. For the vast majority of these banks, it's a lie. Fancy coloured seeds, feminized crap, or re-labelled auto-flowering hackjobs (many of which don't even auto-flower!)... all produced out-of-house and purchased in and re-labelled... and they get rich telling you how cool they are and all the work that went into them without ever showing you any evidence... have you even seen Rez's, SOTF's, Reeferman's, or Greenhouse's actual breeding facility? The sad story that we'd all be ashamed to see how this industry functions on the back end.... I've seen it, trust me- it sucks.... and this is why you occasionally see me harping on the hackers on these boards who clearly do no real work and spend more time on IC than in their own gardens (it's partially because you can't spend that much time in such cramped small spaces!). It was a sobering moment when I started to realize that I was Dorothy in Oz, and the Wizard was a dutch business man hiding behind a curtain.

That is not to say there are not some real people working with cannabis... but the truth is that most are doing nothing but purchasing in seeds produced by others, and re-naming them. This is terrible for the species I love; when the people that propagate the species do little to improve it, let alone actually preserve it, who actually is going to take care of our collective baby?

I'm just a person like any of you- I have not done anything so special in my life that most people could not do with a little work, dedication, and desire to learn about this species. I don't post on these forums to feel good about myself, but rather in hopes that some of you will be inspired and see some of the amazing possibilities of cannabis, and step your game up above what the industry offers now... because let's face it- it's a pretty low bar to step over, and Cannabis deserves better. After our collective destruction of her as humans, we owe her so much more than what we have taken... so let's ALL step up our game and give something back to the species we all claim to love, rather than just use her, and profit from her... to the tune of $100 per seed. It's a fucking disgrace, and she deserves better than our industry gives her.

Respectfully,
-Chimera
A-fuckin-men!!!!!

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
I suckered into to his story out of lack of knowledge. $200 talked to the A hole on the phone. Junk. The biggest fastest growing strain to ever hit my garden. But nothing but swag. I couldn't give it away. The amount of time I lost was devastateing. Dnt waist ur money.

Whats funny I called him to complain. He said I said "You Wanted Big" "You Didn't Say Anything About Special" "If You Want Special You Want ChemDog"
I hung up.

T~P

Latest posts

Latest posts