What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

dr. greenthumb

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
Lots of breeders have behind the scenes works available on special request, and all strains begin with aquiring them from someone else. He never advertised them as they wern't a finished product. That was a long time ago, many people have put the horse before the cart and failed on certain things, I can say that anything publically offered in the past 6-8 years or so has been pretty darn good. I do remember a red project that never panned out. There have been people who reported problems with him over the years but almost every other breeder has bad press put out by unsatisfied customers too. It was their risk for buying the beans in the first place if they were not an advertised strain. I'm just reporting my personal experience of the past decade with him and haven't had a single bad experience but I've never hotly complained about anything to him, I've always been very civil and have been treated the same way.

Peace,
KF

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Hi KF,

after re-reading both my initial reply, and your post, I felt the need to clarify something.

One thing I hate about this business is the degree of celebrity that those in the business receive. I don't do this work to be put-up on a pedestal... really I'm a bit of a science geek and don't want to be a celebrity. You'll never see me on stage at a Cannabis Cup for example; if you ever see me ego-ing out on stage telling the word how cool I am, please egg me and bring me back down to earth!! This is the reason I don't enter these events- and I'm ok with allowing the people in this industry to think they have the best cannabis... I don't want to shatter their worldview with the truth. ;)

I've said this a few times recently... in what other species are plant breeders celebrities? This year at Spannabis, it seemed all the big banks had video cameras taking videos so they could produce web-documentaries showing 'how cool they are'. They put more money into these videos than they do development of new products, which are mostly bought from others and hacked for profit.

The really sad thing is that stories like the above (the Columbian story) are the norm, not the exception. This whole industry is created on the myth and lies that these seedbanks actually do work to produce what customers buy. For the vast majority of these banks, it's a lie. Fancy coloured seeds, feminized crap, or re-labelled auto-flowering hackjobs (many of which don't even auto-flower!)... all produced out-of-house and purchased in and re-labelled... and they get rich telling you how cool they are and all the work that went into them without ever showing you any evidence... have you even seen Rez's, SOTF's, Reeferman's, or Greenhouse's actual breeding facility? The sad story that we'd all be ashamed to see how this industry functions on the back end.... I've seen it, trust me- it sucks.... and this is why you occasionally see me harping on the hackers on these boards who clearly do no real work and spend more time on IC than in their own gardens (it's partially because you can't spend that much time in such cramped small spaces!). It was a sobering moment when I started to realize that I was Dorothy in Oz, and the Wizard was a dutch business man hiding behind a curtain.

That is not to say there are not some real people working with cannabis... but the truth is that most are doing nothing but purchasing in seeds produced by others, and re-naming them. This is terrible for the species I love; when the people that propagate the species do little to improve it, let alone actually preserve it, who actually is going to take care of our collective baby?

I'm just a person like any of you- I have not done anything so special in my life that most people could not do with a little work, dedication, and desire to learn about this species. I don't post on these forums to feel good about myself, but rather in hopes that some of you will be inspired and see some of the amazing possibilities of cannabis, and step your game up above what the industry offers now... because let's face it- it's a pretty low bar to step over, and Cannabis deserves better. After our collective destruction of her as humans, we owe her so much more than what we have taken... so let's ALL step up our game and give something back to the species we all claim to love, rather than just use her, and profit from her... to the tune of $100 per seed. It's a fucking disgrace, and she deserves better than our industry gives her.

Respectfully,
-Chimera

boudinboy

endless sky

endless sky

About three years ago I called the doc on the phone ,and mailed him $150 maybe $175 for ten endless sky seeds.Dont get me wrong I will pay for a great strain no problem,However I worked with the strain for over a year.I had been out of growing for a few years etc so this was my only strain.I cant say anything bad about the high as it was good,but not great.

The stuff yeilded ok ,but smelled like hay plain and simple.Finally I had enough ,and ordered whiteberry and my God To date endless sky was my worst strain ,and i have grown a lot of stuff since

ladygrey

have you even seen Rez's, SOTF's, Reeferman's, or Greenhouse's actual breeding facility?

in fairness to rez i wouldnt be posting pics of my 100,000 dollar lab....:laughing:

got a link to pics of your own lab and can you please please please post more morocco pics?

Last edited:

thegambler

There have been numerous reports of Doc using pic's from others, some just stolen off the internet and others pic's not even the same strain. There has also been 4-5 complaints on other sites that Doc threatens customers, after they call to speak/complain to him, with releasing their personal information to various authorities (DEA/police). Now I don't know this to be fact, but I've read a number of people saying it. Lastly, he has a group of internet shills that troll thu rebuking any and all negatives on these types of threads. There was one particularly I remember recently, about Endless Sky- his "signature" strain. People who have grown it out recently have been unhappy with the final product- and Doc now admits he lost the female parent- and basically was starting over trying to find the original potency again, which has not been there. HIs people just viciously attacked all growers who complained about it in the threads. Since he runs his business like this- he won't be getting any more of my money, for sure......

SneekyFarmer

Great post Chimera! $100 a seed is insane.. Greenthumb would'nt make a good pimple on your ass! I would'nt buy anything from him because he is a dick...

T

THE PABLOS

This shit is just retarded....I'm a pot star in my own little room. Fuck the industry. There is no love...no true passion...just a bunch of monkeys humping their footballs...trying o so hard for their nut.

I positively do not give a flying fuck about the seed biz.

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
Hi KF,

after re-reading both my initial reply, and your post, I felt the need to clarify something.

One thing I hate about this business is the degree of celebrity that those in the business receive. I don't do this work to be put-up on a pedestal... really I'm a bit of a science geek and don't want to be a celebrity. You'll never see me on stage at a Cannabis Cup for example; if you ever see me ego-ing out on stage telling the word how cool I am, please egg me and bring me back down to earth!! This is the reason I don't enter these events- and I'm ok with allowing the people in this industry to think they have the best cannabis... I don't want to shatter their worldview with the truth. ;)

I've said this a few times recently... in what other species are plant breeders celebrities? This year at Spannabis, it seemed all the big banks had video cameras taking videos so they could produce web-documentaries showing 'how cool they are'. They put more money into these videos than they do development of new products, which are mostly bought from others and hacked for profit.

The really sad thing is that stories like the above (the Columbian story) are the norm, not the exception. This whole industry is created on the myth and lies that these seedbanks actually do work to produce what customers buy. For the vast majority of these banks, it's a lie. Fancy coloured seeds, feminized crap, or re-labelled auto-flowering hackjobs (many of which don't even auto-flower!)... all produced out-of-house and purchased in and re-labelled... and they get rich telling you how cool they are and all the work that went into them without ever showing you any evidence... have you even seen Rez's, SOTF's, Reeferman's, or Greenhouse's actual breeding facility? The sad story that we'd all be ashamed to see how this industry functions on the back end.... I've seen it, trust me- it sucks.... and this is why you occasionally see me harping on the hackers on these boards who clearly do no real work and spend more time on IC than in their own gardens (it's partially because you can't spend that much time in such cramped small spaces!). It was a sobering moment when I started to realize that I was Dorothy in Oz, and the Wizard was a dutch business man hiding behind a curtain.

That is not to say there are not some real people working with cannabis... but the truth is that most are doing nothing but purchasing in seeds produced by others, and re-naming them. This is terrible for the species I love; when the people that propagate the species do little to improve it, let alone actually preserve it, who actually is going to take care of our collective baby?

I'm just a person like any of you- I have not done anything so special in my life that most people could not do with a little work, dedication, and desire to learn about this species. I don't post on these forums to feel good about myself, but rather in hopes that some of you will be inspired and see some of the amazing possibilities of cannabis, and step your game up above what the industry offers now... because let's face it- it's a pretty low bar to step over, and Cannabis deserves better. After our collective destruction of her as humans, we owe her so much more than what we have taken... so let's ALL step up our game and give something back to the species we all claim to love, rather than just use her, and profit from her... to the tune of $100 per seed. It's a fucking disgrace, and she deserves better than our industry gives her.

Respectfully,
-Chimera

very inspiring and truthful post. one of the greats. +rep

sprinkl

Veteran
Great post Chimera! $100 a seed is insane.. Greenthumb would'nt make a good pimple on your ass! I would'nt buy anything from him because he is a dick...

I checked his site and his prices are 100-200$ for 10 seeds.
Not much more insane than 100$ for 10 seeds which a lot of people here seem ok with to pay...

High74

Executive Branch Genetics
Veteran
Greenthumb is a smart man and deserves respect, anyone bitching about prices is a broke ass and is a a hater...

SS-

Lol. People complain about his prices when they aren't much worse than a lot of other breeders. 200 for 11 female seeds isn't that bad. Cali Connect charges 125ish for 6. Anyways, if you don't like his prices, don't buy the gear. Simple. People don't understand that this is also a business to others. Point blank, ever notice companies that prices are "too high" usually are the ones that last the longest?

mg75

never dealt with him on the phone, email, or person, but...
not everyone (including me) has an "inner-circle", access to elite clones (which can cost a lot too), breeding facilities, "part of the scene", dispensaries, etc... we grow medicine for ourselves.
so... the best we can do is order seeds from sources available online. i really do not care if his S1 seeds are ripped off someone as long as they represent what HE claims they are... obviously i cannot get real chemdog clones where i am... so what would one do?
i am not part of the "scene" and refuse to join it. we all know seed companies are here to make money (which is fine)... where else would i get medicinal grade seeds if not from online vendors which include dr. greenthumb.

i think in this "gray" and rather "shady" industry, it is a chance we all take when dealing with any vendor.

chongsbuddy

Veteran
im surprised biggybuds or ogman have not posted yet.lol
the guy lies,i dont care about the prices,its the honesty or lack of that keeps me from buying his seeds.the guy lies period and i dont trust liars.

T

THE PABLOS

$100 for a pack of seeds may seem reasonable...until...you can start making your own. Then...10 dollars or 10 cents is much too much.

You pay breeders for their time and work...but if there is little time or little work put in....you are paying for illusion. The best you can then do...is collect your genetics and do the work yourself. If you are unable to do this....then don't complain about the cost of beans.

It is pretty apparent that the underground/prohibition Cannabis gardens in the world...will always fall short of University level breeding facilities. They do not have #s...nor do most Cannabis breeders have the botanical background to pull off technical plant breeding.....and for sure...very few have the dedication/patience it actually takes to create a variety.

It is a fat money train...ego driven industry. These "kind" brothers out there...spouting about spreading love for genetics....are full of themselves and full of shit. If you believe otherwise....I feel no sympathy for you.

Last edited:

Green Supreme

Veteran
Greenthumb is a smart man and deserves respect, anyone bitching about prices is a broke ass and is a a hater...
LOl after reading all the posts in this thread I found this one the most humorous. This dude is a genius teehee. Peace GS

M

Mos Cutty

You pay breeders for their time and work...but if there is little time or little work put in....you are paying for illusion. The best you can then do...is collect your genetics and do the work yourself. If you are unable to do this....then don't complain about the cost of beans.

It is pretty apparent that the underground/prohibition Cannabis gardens in the world...will always fall short of University level breeding facilities. They do not have #s...nor do most Cannabis breeders have the botanical background to pull off technical plant breeding.....and for sure...very few have the dedication/patience it actually takes to create a variety.

Excellent statement and analysis of the industries emphasis on mythos and hero worship. I have argued long hours with my friend Karma Farmer about the supposed infinite knowledge and godly powers of commercial breeders and have similiar conclusions as you.

Even though I am not a strong writer I had the good fortune of attending a top researched based university for an advanced degree. I had the chance to meet PHD's and P.H.D canidates that were working in high-tech botanical labs, and that shit is no joke.

You can't just walk in, you need a retina scan. These are multi-million/ dollar labs, that in some cases you need government clearance to get into.

My point is, minds and equipment that are used in botanical labs, are probably not accessible to the common man for the purpose of manipulating cannabis.

There is nothing new under the sun. Nothing has intrinsic only the value we place on it.

Peace,
Mos