What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CPS TR21 users get in here!!

MEMED

get your ic69 colder adept. my fleet of tr21s are running top notch. They get louder when i use wet as opposed to dry or my immersion chiller. The run faster with di too. Maybe u huys got busted ones, ive never run nethin but tr21s so i cant compare.

gliders420

My pump is 4 ft about my exactor, I don't use the manifold and don't know how I would build pressure with it ? but thats why I would shut it off and I would have to let the pressure build up to get it to quite down, but I also wasn't sure if that was because it wasn't condensing fast enough? I was its quietest at 45 psi.

what size is your collection pot?

Memed, what temp is your collection pot, di and higher temp seemed to help but it still gets pretty loud below 15, have you ever ran just 1?

MEMED

shits loud I guess. Like I said, I never have run anything else so I cant compare. I asked a client that came thru tonite what she thot it sounded like and git a reply of "a lawnmower?", this was in a spot with just one running doing some distilling on a 12x12 @ 60f. I dunno I guess im used to it. Do you expect this kinda thing tobe quiet? I'll bust out my db meter if I can find it and give you a reading 4ft from a unit.

Maybe you're right and I'm just hoping for it to be too quiet, it just sounds so good at 40 psi, if you just shut off the valve for recovery and let it pump is about how it sounds at about 15 psi maybe not quite as loud, just like when you're down low, I was starting to think maybe that it was pulling too fast and that it was making my boil butane to cold to boil off but now I think I'm just losing my mind idk maybe it's fine and I'm just to use to the appion but I'll be getting a phone call from cps tomorrow

gliders420

Maybe you're right and I'm just hoping for it to be too quiet, it just sounds so good at 40 psi, if you just shut off the valve for recovery and let it pump is about how it sounds at about 15 psi maybe not quite as loud, just like when you're down low, I was starting to think maybe that it was pulling too fast and that it was making my boil butane to cold to boil off but now I think I'm just losing my mind idk maybe it's fine and I'm just to use to the appion but I'll be getting a phone call from cps tomorrow

Results of that phone call? :)

Once you get to -10 and you go to open the vent valve, I relate it to feathering a clutch. You ever sat at a red light on a hill and instead of the brake, you use the clutch and throttle to keep yourself from rolling back? It works for me, maybe not you, I don't know just my .02 and I have never once had a drop of oil on the underside of my lid.

Like finding that friction point, you have to find that point where the pressure in the collection pot starts to increase, then back it off very slightly and just feather the pressure in. Once it stabilizes, for me that's around 10-12 psi, I slowly open it all the way. Then I move over to the dump valve and do the same thing, this usually brings the pressure up to around 15 psi. You just have to get a feel for it.

Ok, so I have tried this method on several runs and it seems to work. So is the the idea to vent the column and equalize the pressure with the recovery spool before opening the dump to prevent a surge of solvent and possible screen failure? What about the method described in the "The Generic Terpenators Operating Manual"

2.6 Flood the system.
2.6.1 Start recovery pump.
2.6.2 Open butane injection flood valve and time how long it takes until the liquid flows through vent line or sight glass.
2.6.2.1 Record that time.
2.6.3 Continue to flood for the additional specified period of time , or until the color of the oil passing through sight glass clears.
2.6.4 Close vent valve.
2.6.5 Close flood valve.
2.6.6 Slowly open column dump valve, so as to not splash when the column dumps.
2.6.7 Open rinse valve to top rinse the draining column for the specified period of time.
2.6.8 Close rinse valve.
2.7 Recover to -10″

I guess i'm a little gun-shy of opening the dump.

I talked to CPS and the hammering/slugging will be because of too much liquid not because it was being starved like I thought, but it does get louder toward the end of recovery. And is loud. Maybe not as loud as the appion but still loud. I ended up just getting my immersion chiller even colder and better insulated and seems to be working pretty good.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok, so I have tried this method on several runs and it seems to work. So is the the idea to vent the column and equalize the pressure with the recovery spool before opening the dump to prevent a surge of solvent and possible screen failure? What about the method described in the "The Generic Terpenators Operating Manual"

2.6 Flood the system.
2.6.1 Start recovery pump.
2.6.2 Open butane injection flood valve and time how long it takes until the liquid flows through vent line or sight glass.
2.6.2.1 Record that time.
2.6.3 Continue to flood for the additional specified period of time , or until the color of the oil passing through sight glass clears.
2.6.4 Close vent valve.
2.6.5 Close flood valve.
2.6.6 Slowly open column dump valve, so as to not splash when the column dumps.
2.6.7 Open rinse valve to top rinse the draining column for the specified period of time.
2.6.8 Close rinse valve.
2.7 Recover to -10″

I guess i'm a little gun-shy of opening the dump.

If you just closed the vent valve, the pressure differential between the column and the pot shouldn't be much higher than column head pressure.

If it makes you nervous, leave the vent valve open, slowly open the dump valve, close the vent valvee, and open the rinse valve.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I talked to CPS and the hammering/slugging will be because of too much liquid not because it was being starved like I thought, but it does get louder toward the end of recovery. And is loud. Maybe not as loud as the appion but still loud. I ended up just getting my immersion chiller even colder and better insulated and seems to be working pretty good.

Hammering is hard to quantify over the phone, but if you are experience hammering from liquid, it is time to deglaze the cylinders and replace the piston seal and poppet valves.

There is no question that liquid makes a pump hammer, and we are trying to pump zero liquid, because it destroys the pump seals and makes the poppet valves sticky.

Please further explain your process???

There should be less possibility of ingesting liquid near the end of the cycle, leading me to believe the answer lies in the details.

exactly hammering is hard to quantify over the phone, I recorded a couple videos I plan to upload. I just thought this pump was breaking or something because it is so quite at the beginning of recovery, I run about 5-10 pounds a day depending on if Im dewaxing. I top feed, I do not have the recovery valve open when flooding. I never recover below 0psi, Everything being cooled on DI. My collection pot (12x12) 50-60f, 3/8 - 60" Recovery hose (I just ordered a 1/2 - 48") . My appion lasted more the a year with my method. I ran another 3 pounds the other night and it might be a little faster than appion but that immersion chiller uses alot of DI. I dont know why people hate on the appion. I do like the cps a little more tho and especially if I can get a stainless, Ill upload my video as soon as I have time to figure out how.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
exactly hammering is hard to quantify over the phone, I recorded a couple videos I plan to upload. I just thought this pump was breaking or something because it is so quite at the beginning of recovery, I run about 5-10 pounds a day depending on if Im dewaxing. I top feed, I do not have the recovery valve open when flooding. I never recover below 0psi, Everything being cooled on DI. My collection pot (12x12) 50-60f, 3/8 - 60" Recovery hose (I just ordered a 1/2 - 48") . My appion lasted more the a year with my method. I ran another 3 pounds the other night and it might be a little faster than appion but that immersion chiller uses alot of DI. I dont know why people hate on the appion. I do like the cps a little more tho and especially if I can get a stainless, Ill upload my video as soon as I have time to figure out how.

How are you determining how much to flood?

A three pound column into a 12" X 12" base works OK up to about a one volume flood, after which it becomes increasingly easier for the pump to ingest the liquid as it moves closer to the pump intake.

The CPS has a faster vapor rate than the Appion, so the port velocities will be higher and the probability of ingesting liquid greater at the same liquid levels.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I only dump 8-10 pounds at a time. I recover between each pound.

At around 2.4 lbs per inch, a pound would be less than half an inch.

Even a 10 lb dump is only 4 inches.

Do you have down tubes?

lol I just realized what I said is confusing, I meant I dump all of my butane (8 pounds) in 3 floods through 1 pound column, I recover the 8 pounds of butane after each pound of material, repeat about 5-10 columns depending material, I top feed and do not pull the butane through the column while dumping. Yes right now I have the 12x6 adapter with mkiii lid, but just ordered a 12"

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol I just realized what I said is confusing, I meant I dump all of my butane (8 pounds) in 3 floods through 1 pound column, I recover the 8 pounds of butane after each pound of material, repeat about 5-10 columns depending material, I top feed and do not pull the butane through the column while dumping. Yes right now I have the 12x6 adapter with mkiii lid, but just ordered a 12"

If you are using a Transforminator design, the drop tubes will drop the liquid in mid air, and could be a source, but you noted that you valve off your pump at that point.

At the end of the cycle, if you are running enriched material and multiple columns, the type of boiling that produces cotton candy, can fill the spool and reach the pump ports.

If you just closed the vent valve, the pressure differential between the column and the pot shouldn't be much higher than column head pressure.

If it makes you nervous, leave the vent valve open, slowly open the dump valve, close the vent valvee, and open the rinse valve.

Thanks GW