What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CPS TR21 users get in here!!

LostTribe

Premium user
You guys that have one of these any input on it for the vac pump?

Was looking at the appoint g5 too for the refrigerant but not sure if that will run r290...

BigJohnny

Any chance you got the torque specs for that?? are you aware of how dangerous it is to tighten those bolts without doing it evenly across the whole head? it's aluminum and will warp and could cause leaks around the gasket.

Also capping off the outlet to test the hi-limit switch is dangerous as fuck, as I can attest to from having a cap blow off when I unscrewed it and it went though my wall. Use something with a valve so you can control the release of pressure.
You also didn't mention that you should maintain the high pressure cut out for couple of mins to determine if there's a leak, because if there is the pressure will fall rapidly and the pump will start up again.

No mention of using a pressure gauge to determine if the pressure switch is cutting out at the right pressure or to see if the pressure is falling.

No mention of using threadlocker to secure the bolts and prevent vibratory loosening over time and use, and we all know these pumps are used extensively.

Maybe before giving people advice on how to do things, you should have some proper knowledge in doing so yourself before giving "advice" on how to do things improperly.

Any chance you got the torque specs for that?? are you aware of how dangerous it is to tighten those bolts without doing it evenly across the whole head? it's aluminum and will warp and could cause leaks around the gasket.

Also capping off the outlet to test the hi-limit switch is dangerous as fuck, as I can attest to from having a cap blow off when I unscrewed it and it went though my wall. Use something with a valve so you can control the release of pressure.
You also didn't mention that you should maintain the high pressure cut out for couple of mins to determine if there's a leak, because if there is the pressure will fall rapidly and the pump will start up again.

No mention of using a pressure gauge to determine if the pressure switch is cutting out at the right pressure or to see if the pressure is falling.

No mention of using threadlocker to secure the bolts and prevent vibratory loosening over time and use, and we all know these pumps are used extensively.

Maybe before giving people advice on how to do things, you should have some proper knowledge in doing so yourself before giving "advice" on how to do things improperly.

550 psi behind a cap and you just unscrew it? Cmon man, common sense... smh. When can we expect the release of your fully detailed manual?

"I am not a licensed repair technician so follow instructions at your own risk."

BigJohnny

550 psi behind a cap and you just unscrew it? Cmon man, common sense... smh. When can we expect the release of your fully detailed manual?

"I am not a licensed repair technician so follow instructions at your own risk."

I am a certified electromechanical engineering technician, and I was citing my example because he mentions doing the exact same thing to test the pressure.

good that you're defending unsafe practices and the lack of information though.

Krasee

Tr21 user for long time.

Tr21 user for long time.

I've been using the tr21 for a long time. Long before I got into extracts. I've taken mine apart many times. The mysterious leak is coming from the piston seals inside the unit below the valve set inside the cylinders. After long use they where out and gases leak through the pistons.. I've really noticed this an issue after starting extracting putting 10 hours or more on the unit per day. During my career as a aircraft tech my pump didn't get this heavy use. U will start seeing your gas supply disappear if u are running. Recovering less weight back into the tank.2 ways ro fix this... 1 high vapor pressure in the recovery tank causing higher pressures in the pump, relieve the pressure into another tank. 2 replace the pistons and cylinders $400 plus time or the whole pump $600new worse case. If anyone has a better idea I'm all ears. I'm dealing with it right now with 2 pumps. :(

BigJohnny

I've been using the tr21 for a long time. Long before I got into extracts. I've taken mine apart many times. The mysterious leak is coming from the piston seals inside the unit below the valve set inside the cylinders. After long use they where out and gases leak through the pistons.. I've really noticed this an issue after starting extracting putting 10 hours or more on the unit per day. During my career as a aircraft tech my pump didn't get this heavy use. U will start seeing your gas supply disappear if u are running. Recovering less weight back into the tank.2 ways ro fix this... 1 high vapor pressure in the recovery tank causing higher pressures in the pump, relieve the pressure into another tank. 2 replace the pistons and cylinders $400 plus time or the whole pump $600new worse case. If anyone has a better idea I'm all ears. I'm dealing with it right now with 2 pumps. :(

This; Everything this guy is saying is completely accurate. I've experienced the exact same things with these pumps. and my costs tend to be a lot higher because I'm in Canada, so each TR21O costs me about $1200 all said, done and shipped, and I'm on my 4th and 5th pump now (I run two).

These 2 new pumps will be used only by me, so we'll see how they hold up to my very similar use, but without the addition of a retarded asshole doing god knows what when I'm not around.

Old Gold

Sounds an awful lot like them Appions (maybe with different electrical component confoguration).

Aircraft tech, eh? You should join our "Hoses for Closed Loop Systems" thread.

Obsidian

Veteran
After your 1st use you start to have major serious piston wear and gas loss big time. These are not made to pass oil and butane through the units. gas only.

I'm guessing this is why I lost a whole tank only after 10 runs.
one of the fucked up costs playing with these units.

I was a 43191 MSGT Aircraft Mech in the USAF, I have my A&P, my jet was the A-10 Warthog...and it's bro the T-37 trainer, hose crap honestly means nothing to flightline mechs, you want the engine a-mech hydraulic dudes for that shit...flightline work is different.

FieldsOil

I purchased one of these units but I had a few questions..

I read the manual and it seems this pump isnt supposed to be turned on until it actually recovers butane, and turned back off when its at atmosphere, and turned back on when its ready to recover again. Is this how folks are running these units?

OR do people just run them like an appion? Also, is it okay for the inline dryer filter to be sticking horizontally outwards from the trs? Im used to the vertical design of the appion and was curious if anything needed to be changed on the inline filter.

I recall people saying anything more then 4lbs in a 6x12 collection pot and you can suck in oil mist, however I assumed that was the case using an appion. Does the TRS function the same, or does it pull stronger and therefore require less in the pot before potentially sucking into the pump

Old Gold

After your 1st use you start to have major serious piston wear and gas loss big time. These are not made to pass oil and butane through the units. gas only.

I was a 43191 MSGT Aircraft Mech in the USAF, I have my A&P, my jet was the A-10 Warthog...and it's bro the T-37 trainer, hose crap honestly means nothing to flightline mechs, you want the engine a-mech hydraulic dudes for that shit...flightline work is different.

Well, your piston crap means nothing to my hose crap!
In all seriousness, I would say you're about right with these things. Even upgrades from this (like the CMEP-OL) still requires proper maintenance to avoid piston failure. I would still never pass oil through that thing, but it can and should handle liquid, unlike the TR's and G5's

BigJohnny said:
each TR21O costs me about $1200 all said, done and shipped, and I'm on my 4th and 5th pump now

Whoa, you're wasting you're money if you ask me. It only took me 3 Appions, and only one "out of pocket," (plus, plenty of pissy customer reports) to realize HVAC recovery pumps weren't really cutting it. Even the CMEP-OL needs a few upgrades for proper workings, but after plenty of testing that thing out, I'm confident it could stand strong for some time. That thing is hopefully now collecting dust, and not being more than questionably operated by a more than questionable operator.

Stay safe y'all.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Dude, I wish everyone getting into butane extraction were at your level of personal responsibility and integrity, thank you for your service back then and now........

BigJohnny

Well, your piston crap means nothing to my hose crap!
In all seriousness, I would say you're about right with these things. Even upgrades from this (like the CMEP-OL) still requires proper maintenance to avoid piston failure. I would still never pass oil through that thing, but it can and should handle liquid, unlike the TR's and G5's

Whoa, you're wasting you're money if you ask me. It only took me 3 Appions, and only one "out of pocket," (plus, plenty of pissy customer reports) to realize HVAC recovery pumps weren't really cutting it. Even the CMEP-OL needs a few upgrades for proper workings, but after plenty of testing that thing out, I'm confident it could stand strong for some time. That thing is hopefully now collecting dust, and not being more than questionably operated by a more than questionable operator.

Stay safe y'all.

The TR's are rated for liquid, read the description of them, how well they work with liquid though.....well....

My previous pumps were being used by my jackass co-worker who was doing god knows what, and had absolutely no technicial knowledge at all or even knew how to run the extractor, I've seen lots of evidence that thre has been liquid BHO run through them and I know for a fact it wasn't me.

I've rebuilt and cleaned them a couple of time and got them safely usable again, and I just received my new ones, so I'm going to see how long they last being used responsibly and most likely if they do fail will only need a rebuild or valve kit. And if they do fail mid-run then I have a couple of other rebuilt pumps to use just in case

The weirdest thing I've seen so far is that one of my pumps that quit mid-run has one of the poppet valves missing..... I don't know what happened to it but I can only assume it broke loose and got melted somehow because that pump was full of shit.

Last edited:

Rickys bong

Veteran
The TR's are rated for liquid, read the description of them, how well they work with liquid though.....well....

The weirdest thing I've seen so far is that one of my pumps that quit mid-run has one of the poppet valves missing..... I don't know what happened to it but I can only assume it broke loose and got melted somehow because that pump was full of shit.

The only way these pumps will work with liquid is if its very carefully metered in. That's likely why the poppet was missing. The pressure spike from liquid in the cylinder will do a lot of damage.

"Direct liquid recovery" in refrigerant systems is misinterpreted to mean that these pumps will actually pump liquid. They won't. The liquid flow needs to be metered so that it turns to vapor as its being sucked into the cylinder.

RB

BigJohnny

The only way these pumps will work with liquid is if its very carefully metered in. That's likely why the poppet was missing. The pressure spike from liquid in the cylinder will do a lot of damage.

"Direct liquid recovery" in refrigerant systems is misinterpreted to mean that these pumps will actually pump liquid. They won't. The liquid flow needs to be metered so that it turns to vapor as its being sucked into the cylinder.

RB

I'm not sure if that pump had liquid running through it.

What I started doing for can tapping though is to use a pump and a small 30lb cylinder and just tap the cans right into the pump.
I've only done that a couple of times but it seemed to work well without stressing the pump and filled my tank in about 20 mins.... 36 cans.

After that I just recovered the small tank through the CLS to fill up my big tank.

I got a little off topic there however lol

Logfarm

Valve Rebuild Kit Instruction?

Valve Rebuild Kit Instruction?

I just read through this monster thread in hopes that I'd find instructions for what would seem to be the most common maintenance job. Maybe I missed it? I saw a couple other people ask for help and GW hinted at the process. My big question is the large flathead screws ontop of the compressor, do they need to be set at a specific torque or simply screwed down?

littlepookie

Dude, I wish everyone getting into butane extraction were at your level of personal responsibility and integrity, thank you for your service back then and now........

Lol an aircraft mechanic got cannabis oil in his trs21, go figure. They work fine with just gas bro.

Latest posts

Latest posts