What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CPS TR21 users get in here!!

Pangea

Veteran
..what is the custom cooler..? ..i just use a fan at the vents/heat sink and it runs about 112F

Sorry, I meant "after cooler" instead of the common mt69, I used a 25' length of 1/2" ss ptfe lined hose, the pump runs cooler depending on the after coolers efficiency. Just trying to figure if my solution is comparable to the mt69 or a solid ss pipe coil.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry, I meant "after cooler" instead of the common mt69, I used a 25' length of 1/2" ss ptfe lined hose, the pump runs cooler depending on the after coolers efficiency. Just trying to figure if my solution is comparable to the mt69 or a solid ss pipe coil.

The R value for 300 series stainless is about 1.3 to 1.5, and for PTFE it is about 4, so you would be about 2.6 times better off with a solid stainless tube in a heat exchanger coil.

Pangea

Veteran
The R value for 300 series stainless is about 1.3 to 1.5, and for PTFE it is about 4, so you would be about 2.6 times better off with a solid stainless tube in a heat exchanger coil.

Does that take into account surface area of a 1/2" hose vs, 1/4"or 3/8" coil? Or the actual thickness of the PTFE and SS braid?

I paid half what I would have had to if I used a solid exchanger coil or mt69, versus the flex hose, I think I am after cooling as much as someone with a more expensive solution. Also I can uncoil my line which will come in handy when draining it, i hope.

gliders420

Usually new piston seals will fix things, though you may need to clean or replace the poppet valves as well.

so this: http://www.centurytool.net/TR21_Oilless_Compressor_Rebuild_Kit_p/cpstr21x2.htm

or can i get away with this? :

http://www.centurytool.net/TR21X1_CPS_TR21_Oilless_Compressor_Valve_Rebuild_p/cpstr21x1.htm

the second link doesn't actually say the word "piston" anywhere....hoping to save 270

also, is there an internals diagram of the tr21? the manual doesn't have one and google is being tough on providing one

Last edited:
Does anyone know the type of fitting that goes from the 1/4 flare into the pump housing? I was hoping to replace the brass fitting with a stainless 3/8"JIC fitting.

gliders420

None of my business and I'm sure you'll get some help, but you're saying you're showering with the flow going unimpeded into a heavy SS pot that's being held at 90-110F? Butane/oil mixture's got to be spattering at that rate of flash off, it would seem to me... like tossing some liquid butane onto a warm concrete slab, it will flash off, it has no choice.

well if the filters still are considered "unimpeded" than yes.

would the same thing happen if the pot was 80 degrees? butane boils around 32 degrees..

and if i haven't mentioned before, i have actually found oil on the line that connects my lid to recovery pump, so it makes sense that i somehow got it into my pump...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so this: http://www.centurytool.net/TR21_Oilless_Compressor_Rebuild_Kit_p/cpstr21x2.htm

or can i get away with this? :

http://www.centurytool.net/TR21X1_CPS_TR21_Oilless_Compressor_Valve_Rebuild_p/cpstr21x1.htm

the second link doesn't actually say the word "piston" anywhere....hoping to save 270

also, is there an internals diagram of the tr21? the manual doesn't have one and google is being tough on providing one

You don't need more than the seals, poppets, and springs in most cases. Are you hearing any mechanical hammering or does it just not pull down any more?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does that take into account surface area of a 1/2" hose vs, 1/4"or 3/8" coil? Or the actual thickness of the PTFE and SS braid?

I paid half what I would have had to if I used a solid exchanger coil or mt69, versus the flex hose, I think I am after cooling as much as someone with a more expensive solution. Also I can uncoil my line which will come in handy when draining it, i hope.

That is apples to apples. All other things being equal.

The formula for heat transfer through a membrane is Area X K (1/R) X Delta T (temp differential) X time.

Tubing sizes are given in OD, so after adjusting for wall thickness you can compare areas.

1/4" Tubing is too small an ID for our purposes. I would use a minimum of 3/8".

gliders420

You don't need more than the seals, poppets, and springs in most cases. Are you hearing any mechanical hammering or does it just not pull down any more?

i do believe i hear hammering. When i first got it, there was two sounds, one with lots of tane in the cls that sounded smooth, and the other is what i believe is hammering, sounds like shit compared to the other noise... loud too.. i tried to pull a vac on the tr21 alone and couldn't get passed -20

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i do believe i hear hammering. When i first got it, there was two sounds, one with lots of tane in the cls that sounded smooth, and the other is what i believe is hammering, sounds like shit compared to the other noise... loud too.. i tried to pull a vac on the tr21 alone and couldn't get passed -20

A stuck valve can create some hammer, just not as loud or solid as increased tolerance from something broken, but the only way to tell is to pull the head and check.

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
I just saw a pic of a trs21 with the bottom blown off from 6 months of use...... i haven't used or see the inside of a tr21 so I don't know the design of the internals but it's seems dangerous.

..i would like to see this as i was just starting to really trust the tr21 ..got a link by any chance..?

..the mr. extractor looks like a Joke ..8oz at 6500 ..lol

So my CPS is pretty loud especially towards the end anything above 30 PSI and it's pretty quiet but then when I get below 15psi it starts hammering in and not sounding good, it's a brand-new pump?

thanks GW, just wanted to make sure, Thats what I normally do but I thought your saying use that little valve behind the Vapor/liquid valve, but back to my CPS, its really loud?? The first 5 min it was pretty quite and I was amazed but then towards the end of recovery it was really loud and I would have to cycle it on and off the keep the noise down.

gliders420

thanks GW, just wanted to make sure, Thats what I normally do but I thought your saying use that little valve behind the Vapor/liquid valve, but back to my CPS, its really loud?? The first 5 min it was pretty quite and I was amazed but then towards the end of recovery it was really loud and I would have to cycle it on and off the keep the noise down.

I'm also wondering this.

I beleive your supposed to use the manifold high pressure side to build pressure, pushing more gas through. At least the manual it comes with mentions something about the manifold high pressure side

If I didn't get wax into my pump I beleive running it forblonger periods in the "loud" zone, or hammering according to the manual, broke my pump.

My pump is 4 ft about my exactor, I don't use the manifold and don't know how I would build pressure with it ? but thats why I would shut it off and I would have to let the pressure build up to get it to quite down, but I also wasn't sure if that was because it wasn't condensing fast enough? I was its quietest at 45 psi.

Latest posts

Latest posts