What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clackamas Coot Mix Wrong Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
lol don't read into it like that, it was either I make light of his comment or go off on a tangent about relativity and application of natural methods

im not in the mood to be manic right now

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sorry you don't appreciate the point I was trying to make.

Spraying broad spectrum fungicidal oils while preaching protection of soil microbes makes no sense to me. These microbes matter, but this group is useless?

Not to mention wiping out any bug, beneficial or pest, smothered in oil, neem or other wise.

One of the best (to me) arguments against "preventative" sprays of conventional or organic controls is that pest species are the first to repopulate in the now barren landscape. Nature abhors a vacuum. A sanitized landscape is the dream of the likes of Syngenta. A healthy microbe population above ground is as important as below.

I'm not refering to you specifically, just what I see among a large swath of organic growers.

Perhaps if I wrote practically irrelevant book length replies that would be to your style and approval.

The same people that go blue in the face about letting "nature take it's course" in the rhizosphere can't see the contradiction of enforcing their will in the phyllosphere. I love that word.

Hence I argue for cultural and environmental control (where applicable), an approach you mock as "newbish". One would think the organic community would be more receptive of a hands off approach, or is that only applicable on a case by case?

Come, step outside the box. It's open and breezy out here. The air is crisp.

neem cake/ meal/ etc....

So much that contradicts what we are striving for in soil, I dont even consider it. The cons outweigh the pros IMO. To each their own.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I'm sorry you don't appreciate the point I was trying to make.

Spraying broad spectrum fungicidal oils while preaching protection of soil microbes makes no sense to me. These microbes matter, but this group is useless?

Neem is broad spectrum? and foliar application of oils on leafs effect soil microbes? See the problem with people who live by white papers is they don't understand the real world implications.

Tell you what put your money where your mouth is, prove neem oil as a foliar effects soil microbes.

Not to mention wiping out any bug, beneficial or pest, smothered in oil, neem or other wise.
Shows your lack of any real experience in the field with these techs, reading about them does not make one an expert let me explain why.

First - The active ingredients in neem oil and neem meal effect sucking insects only.

Neem oil can kill insects on contact by smothering but after it dissipates the azadirachtin which means sucking insects will be deterred but beneficial insects are unaffected.

Neem meal teas and neem oil in the root zone effects microbes and needs be timed well to gain maximum efficiency.

If you take time to understand microbe populations in soil you will come to realize they are not static but dynamic and change based on environmental several factors and cues. Understanding them and working within them sustainably is the goal. Replicating natural methods creates the lowest impact on natural systems.

There are no hard rules to how you adopt them, only sustainability and end product quality metrics to judge by.

One of the best (to me) arguments against "preventative" sprays of conventional or organic controls is that pest species are the first to repopulate in the now barren landscape. Nature abhors a vacuum. A sanitized landscape is the dream of the likes of Syngenta. A healthy microbe population above ground is as important as below.
Your logic is defective. You don't understand IPM and your logic is specifically born from reading canna sites.

Go to cornel or any other cooperative and learn the reality of IPM.

With IPM it is understood you cannot eliminate pests or pathogens, but you can put in the components missing from an imbalanced environment (micro or macro) using natural alternatives to keep things from ever becoming imbalanced. That is the simple reasons plants fail from pests or pathogens, because either the environment or the plant are not balanced enough to resist infestation. It really is that simple.

I'm not refering to you specifically, just what I see among a large swath of organic growers.

Perhaps if I wrote practically irrelevant book length replies that would be to your style and approval.

The same people that go blue in the face about letting "nature take it's course" in the rhizosphere can't see the contradiction of enforcing their will in the phyllosphere. I love that word.

Hence I argue for cultural and environmental control (where applicable), an approach you mock as "newbish". One would think the organic community would be more receptive of a hands off approach, or is that only applicable on a case by case?

Come, step outside the box. It's open and breezy out here. The air is crisp.

Nature takes its course is not employing natural methods or natural systems.

Natural methodology are methods that work best with the same optimal environments that the plant evolved from, and the one where the microbiology really maters is the food soil web. The polysphere, not so much, my experience weights in on that one too.

Once again your thinking outside the box and outside of reality and really detracting from successful methodology versus faulty theoretical practices.

Grow more, talk less, maybe you'll have real life experience to compare your thoughts to so you can actually contribute with experiential integrity.

Waste of bandwidth and propagation of faulty logic for no real benefit.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
neem cake/ meal/ etc....

So much that contradicts what we are striving for in soil, I dont even consider it. The cons outweigh the pros IMO. To each their own.

the cons only exist if you use them without any knowledge conversely you get all the pros if you educate yourself on proper use

VortexPower420

Veteran
You all are going to think i am nuts and shun me or something. I do not recommend this in any way.

I repeat do not recommend in ANY WAY.

This is just how my weird world works.

In my garden I have a mutual agreement with aphids. They are around. Never really a problem. Sometimes they will get to the dying leaves in the bottom but no dew and only small groupings.

I keep my plant health high by keeping N inputs low to not encourage more protein compounds and less nitrates in my plant sap.

I also have released a army of lady bugs when the temperature rose, i had a fresh soil mix and they did get bad.

This was 6+ months ago. I do a perpetual harvest so there is never down time. About a week after release no more aphids. A few here and there but nothing to worry abou

Fast forward to harvest time for a large chunk of the room this week. I haven't seen anylady bugs around in a while and I noticed more aphids the usual on the dying leaves. As I was going through I kept finding first generation lady bugs on my arms. I was also finding groups of lady bug eggs.

I bet another week or two I would have not seen much of a problem. I can also say I am not worried about the rest of the room.

I do have one plant with the slightest bit of claw that is attracting some aphids. I have found d baby lady alligators hanging around and on the hunt.

The circle of life.... Bring nature indoors.

Once again not recommending this AT ALL!

Scrappy4

Veteran
I use neem cause it works. I ran out of neem meal early last year, and went until mid summer and broke down and ordered more neem and karanja meal. It is expensive, especially shipping, but I like it as a tea bubbled with either kelp meal or alfalfa meal. Up to about week 5 in flower. With kelp later and alfalfa earlier.

It gives a nice N feed and I think sulfur helps terpene production. I get sulfur from neem/karanja meal/cake and gypsum. Because I also like diversity I'm only giving neem as a tea maybe twice in early to mid flower. As for soil bugs, idk, never really had any other than gnats once in a while.

Neem oil, as in a pest program? Hell yes. It's one of the few pesticides that plants seem to like, plus it works. And if you can spray weekly, you shouldn't have to spray once flowers form. And if i still get mites, I like lavender water for mites in flower. And gnatrol (BTI) for gnats.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_agricultural_pest_management_Pest_Manag_Sci

The role of allelopathy in agricultural pest management

The chemical compounds that participate in biochemical interactions among plants are generally named allelopathic substances. Combined application of allelopathic extract and reduced herbicide dose, gives as much weed control as the standard herbicide dose in several field crops (Farooq et al., 2011). Allelochemicals are secondary compounds of plants, with small molecular weight, present in different organs of some vegetal species (leaves, flowers, fruits, seeds, but also in stalks and roots), mostly perennial ones (Lingorski and Mitev, 2012).

This extends to pests and pathogen control and even remediation

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Step outside the box of faulty logic

Allelopathy for Pest Control

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-00915-5_6

Plants are attacked by a plethora of pathogens or pests. Pest attack in turn induces or enhances the synthesis of a many chemical ‘weapons’ produced by plant defenses. These chemicals are classified broadly into nitrogen compounds, terpenoids and phenolics. They have a broad range of antifungal, antimicrobial and pesticidal activities. Thus, these plant chemicals can be extracted and further used as efficient biopesticides or microbicides. They are eco-friendly due to their ephemeral nature. Unlike many synthetic pesticides that often have harmful side effects and long residual time, allelochemicals are biodegradable fast.

Plants produce many types of secondary metabolites – listed in Table 1 – including resins, phenolic acids, amino acids and essential oils, which can be used to manage pests. We review crop allelopathic activity to suppress weeds, microbes and insects. We present benefits of biotechnological methods of extraction and use of allelochemicals. The essential oils of medicinal plants such as thyme, oregano, rosemary, lavender, fennel and laurel have fungitoxic effects against foliar and soil-borne plant pathogenic fungi. Natural miticides are an alternative to synthetic miticides because they have low toxicity in mammals, little environmental effect and wide public acceptance. Therefore essential oils have the potential for use in the control of many pests such as a mite Tetranychus cinnabarinus.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
coot's mix is 1:1:1 base mix---peat, compost, aeration.

per cubic foot add

1/2 c neem seed meal
1/2c kelp meal
1/2c crab shell meal

1 cup rock dust
1 cup basalt
1 cup oyster shell powder
1 cup gypsum

if you follow this recipe to the letter you shouldn't need to cook it.

i use a modified coots mix and i plant seeds in the same soil i use to flower full sized plants.

for the OP's mix i would follow granger's advice and add more base to compensate for the things you added too much of.

i wouldn't consider op's soil a coot mix since several ingredients coot recommends against have been included.
I see no bonemeal in this recipe. I am wondering if it was left out because of Nitrogen clawing that it causes? Not sure I like that stuff.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Let us explore Mikells worlds

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Aeromicrobiology

Introduction

Aeromicrobiology is the study of living microbes which are suspended in the air. These microbes are referred to as bioaerosols (Brandl et. al, 2008). Though there are significantly less atmospheric microorganisms than there are in oceans and in soil, there is still a large enough number that they can affect the atmosphere (Amato, 2012). Once suspended in the air column, these microbes have the opportunity to travel long distances with the help of wind and precipitation, increasing the occurrence of widespread disease by these microorganisms. These aerosols are ecologically significant because they can be associated with disease in humans, animals and plants. Typically microbes will be suspended in clouds, where they are able to perform processes that alter the chemical composition of the cloud, and may even induce precipitation (Amato 2012).
Microbial Communities

Many different microorganisms can be in aerosol form in the atmosphere, including viruses, bacteria, fungi, yeasts and protozoans. In order to survive in the atmosphere, it is important that these microbes adapt to some of the harsh climatic characteristics of the exterior world, including temperature, gasses and humidity. Many of the microbes that are capable of surviving harsh conditions can readily form endospores, which can withstand extreme conditions (Al-Dagal 336).

Many of these microorganisms can be associated with specific and commonly known diseases. Below are two tables. Table 1 below shows examples of Airborne Plant pathogens, and Table 2 shows examples of airborne human pathogens.
Bacterial

One such bacterial microorganism that can resist environmental stresses is Bacillus anthracis. It is a gram positive rod shaped bacteria that utilizes spore formation to resist environmental stresses. The spore is a dehydrated cell with extremely thick cell walls which can remain inactive for many years. This spore makes Bacillus anthracis a highly resilient bacteria, allowing it can survive extreme temperatures, chemical contamination, and low nutrient environments (Gatchalian 2010). This bacteria is associated with Anthrax, which is a severe respiratory disease that infects humans.
Fungal

Another such microorganism that can resist environmental stresses is Aspergillus fumigatus, which is a major airborne fungal pathogen (McCormick 2010). This pathogen is capable of causing many human diseases when conidia are inhaled into the lungs. While A. fumigatus lacks virulence traits, it is very adaptable to changing environmental conditions and therefore is still capable of mass infection. (McCormick 2010).
Viral

An example of a viral airborne pathogen is the Avian Influenza Virus, which is a single stranded RNA visur that can infect a broad range of animal species as well as humans and cause the Avian Influenza.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=phyllosphere+microbes+and+plant+interactionshttps://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=polysphere+microbes+and+plant+interactions

phyllophere microbes and plant interactions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllosphere

Research into the characteristics of microbial life in the phyllosphere is of great commercial importance to the agricultural industry for two reasons. First, understanding the survival of plant disease-causing bacteria and fungi is vital for developing new ways to control their spread. Second, there has been a recent[when?] rise in the number of food poisoning cases associated with fruit and vegetables contaminated with bacteria, such as Salmonella and E. coli O157:H7. This is particularly true of fresh fruits and salads which are not cooked prior to consumption. Preventing these outbreaks by developing better decontamination strategies is important to protect public health.

Nice theory

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I hear AN has some real dank phyllosphere microbes for sale

jump on that shit yo makes all the difference in your grow

or check out photosthesis plus the foliar bacterial spray and tell my why they are using soil borne microbes

Last edited:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphytic_bacteria

Epiphytic bacteria
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Epiphytic bacteria are bacteria which live non-parasitically on the surface of a plant on various organs such as the leaves, roots, flowers, buds, seeds and fruit. In current studies it has been determined that epiphytic bacteria generally don’t harm the plant, but promote the formation of ice crystals. Some produce an auxin hormone which promotes plant growth and plays a role in the life cycle of the bacteria.

Different bacteria prefer different plants and different plant organs depending on the organ's nutritional content, and depending on the bacteria's colonization system which is controlled by the host plant. Bacteria which live on leaves are referred to as phyllobacteria, and bacteria which live on the root system are referred to as rhizabacteria. They adhere to the plant surface forms as 1-cluster 2- individual bacterial cell 3- biofilm .[1] The age of the organ also affects the epiphytic bacteria population and characteristics and has a role in the inhibition of phytopathogen on plant. Epiphytic bacteria found in the marine environment have a role in the nitrogen cycle.

Contents

1 Species
2 Classification
3 see also
4 External links
5 References

Species

There are diverse species of epiphytic bacteria, for example:

Citrobacter youngae

Bacillus thuringiensis

Enterobacter soli

Bacillus tequilensis

Bacillus aryabhattai

Pantoea eucalypti

Pseudomonas palleroniana

Serratia nematodiphila

Stenotrophomonas maltophilia

Pseudomonas mosselii

Pseudomonas putida

Lysinibacillus xylanilyticus

Enterobacter asburiae

Acinetobacter johnsonii

Pseudomonas macerans

[2]
Classification

Many epiphytic bacteria are rod-shaped, and classified as either gram negative or gram positive, pigmented or non-pigmented, fermentative or non-fermentative .

Non-pigmented epiphytic bacteria have high a GC content in their genome, a characteristic which protects the bacteria from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. Because of this, these bacteria have special nutritional requirements.[3][4] Current studies on epiphytic bacteria are underway for biotechnological applications areas such as the promotion of plant growth. Epiphytic bacteria are removed from the plant surface through ultraviolet radiation, chemical surface disinfection, and washing . [5]

I don't put BTi in my garden, but if I did neem would not effect it.

Bacillus thuringiensis and neem seed oil (Azadirachta indica) effects on the potato tuber moth Phthorimaea operculella zeller in the field and stores

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03235400009383329

growingcrazy

I use neem cause it works. I ran out of neem meal early last year, and went until mid summer and broke down and ordered more neem and karanja meal. It is expensive, especially shipping, but I like it as a tea bubbled with either kelp meal or alfalfa meal. Up to about week 5 in flower. With kelp later and alfalfa earlier.

It gives a nice N feed and I think sulfur helps terpene production. I get sulfur from neem/karanja meal/cake and gypsum. Because I also like diversity I'm only giving neem as a tea maybe twice in early to mid flower. As for soil bugs, idk, never really had any other than gnats once in a while.

Neem oil, as in a pest program? Hell yes. It's one of the few pesticides that plants seem to like, plus it works. And if you can spray weekly, you shouldn't have to spray once flowers form. And if i still get mites, I like lavender water for mites in flower. And gnatrol (BTI) for gnats.

I am with scrappy on my current use of neem up to this point.

After running no-till for a few years with 0 neem input at all, I started having associated pest issues. Started with only foliars and light top dress and transitioned into all mixed into the soil and one or two foliars in veg.

I have had full effectiveness in this approach with a rotation of other IPM methods.

Since I have the space I may do a test on this. One pot with 1 cup neem in the soil per cuft. Another with no neem mixed in with topdressing and foliars through veg. Curious to see the end results in the product.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
a friendly reminder that coot's recommended neem is 1/2c per cubic foot of base mix.

that said if 1 cup of neem cake weighs 6.5 oz and i used a 20# bag for 2 yards of soil then i was using 49 cups in 54 cubic feet, so a bit less than a cup per cubic foot.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
First off, a tip for arguing.

If one doesn't agree with your views, that does not automatically make them an idiot. This is a frequent tactic of yours and speaks volumes. As well, resorting to ad hominem attacks gives others the impression your argument is weak.

Neem is a broad spectrum fungicide and pesticide. It works against a wide variety of fungal pathogens and pest species, including beneficials. Anyone looking to verify this only needs the ability to use a search engine.

While foliar applications do effect soil microbes (proper spraying makes for copious run off), you have misunderstood me. Emotions cloud logic and I think you were having trouble even seeing your own nose while replying.

The contradiction I was pointing out was that the same people that move heaven and earth to protect microbes in the rhizosphere generally have no issue routinely spraying neem which directly effects all microbes and bugs (beneficial or pest) in the phyllosphere.

I am specifically refering to microbes and bugs living on the foliage of a plant. I hope that clears up your misunderstanding.

If I spray any oil at 1% concentration, it will negatively effect all bugs it comes in contact with and depending on the oil, have mild or strong effect against microbial populations. Canola, neem, stylet, it does not matter.

Neem is not special. While some compounds (limonoids for the most part) may dissipitate, the oil does not.

I've used neem for three or four years now. This isn't google-fu, I've watched it create a blank canvas, the exact same results given with any other oil I've used.

I can't see the link between "understanding and working with" soil and foliage microbes/bugs, and applying broad spectrum control routinely. This doesn't strike you as a contradiction?

Your comments about what you think I believe are interesting, but incorrect. You do realize I mock cannabis forums regularly and am in turn mocked for linking to university sources?

I can't expect you to read everything I say and remember it, but you couldn't be more wrong in this instance. I didn't create a false personality to get on ResearchGate to look at pretty bud shots. I wanted to get a wee foot in behind the paywall that keeps us from mountains of research.

Your comments on IPM fall into this category as well. There are two people on this site that have demonstrated a complete understanding of IPM, you aren't one of them (nor am I). To put them in perspective, one is a consultant involved in setting up and optimizing IPM programs for farms and greenhouses, though I haven't seen him post in a few monthes. One of the few here that even acknowledges scouting as a mainstay.

Miles was around for the argument I started that cannabis growers have reduced IPM to the simple act of control re:preventative or reactive spraying.

"Grow more talk less" would carry more weight if you weren't one of the longest winded ramblers on IC. Hey, I can Weird too.

The cons of neem are real, whether you choose to accept them or not. Dead beneficials aren't less dead whether you're wearing rose glasses or not.

And when did shipping soil amendments from the other side of the earth become good practice or sustainable? This is why I advocate using local ingredients where possible. When someone posts here looking for help without access to peat, neem, and all the other expensive components some consider crucial to plant growth, most of us are mum as fuck. Without all the trendy must haves, it all falls apart. If you had the "real world experience" you beat everyone over the head with, you'd think you'd have grown in a wide variety of soil mixes and could offer advice.

I readily admit to using coir as a substrate, but then this is the recycled by-product of a booming coconut industry. I love the shit, though if I gave full reign to logic I would stop using it. Who are we but hypocrites.

In the same way people are growing conscious of the unsustainability of shipping food stuffs across the globe, we must acknowledge the waste of resources required to transport "must have" amendments mind boggling distances.

I must say I was expecting more from you. The best part of your reply are the linked studies. Some I've read before, some just now.

One final point.

There is no right way, no Weirds way. There are dozens of ways to solve any problem, to limit yourself to one is ignorance.

I like that you're trying to branch out and help people (I do notice these things) but if you can only accept your own version of the truth, the only people that will listen are the ones that already agreed with you. Yes men make for poor objectivity and growth of ego. Lording your intelligence over others and belittling/insulting that of anyone with a contrary opinion merely marginalizes your own.

I lied. Here's some more.

This site is for the exchange of ideas, that is how we learn collectively. Prophets proclaiming one ideal tend to fall to the wayside. See Coot. He and his type gravitate away from discussion/debate and exist on forums or social media like IG, where they are unquestioned and fawned over, or create closed communities of like minded (another way of saying close minded) individuals.

That's what your striving toward?

So many words.

TLDR: I disagree.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Mikell tell you what, grow a plant in living organic air without giving the root system anything but water in the rhizosphere and I will grow a plant with living organic soil and keep the pyhllosphere sterile by giving it just air.

TL:DR

Coots living organic soil mix versus Mikells living organic air mix

Cant wait for this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts