What's new

Canna Boost V Molasses - side by side comparison.

nomaad

Veteran
wow... you mean you had to suck the moisture out of the coco with your mouth? I do get the picture and that is very discgusting. sorry you had to go thru it. but hey... that's the love they needed, right?
You are very welcome b'.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
OFF TOPIC BUT.... as I have mentioned the stuff earlier in the thread, I
want to throw out a note of caution regarding Galuku coir, I recently used some to pot a few plants up and after a few day's did not see any problems, I actually like the make up of this stuff, it has more chips and hardly any fibre so looks to hold more air to water than Canna's coir, I started a pack of Super Silver Hazes for Xmas, the seeds flew out, 12 hours soak and I had to plant as tails were showing, 15 of 18 were all up after 48 hrs so these seeds were fine, were!!!!, after 2 or 3 days I noticed the edges of the 1st true leaves drying out and looking over fertilised, they have never had feed , only thing close was the seaweed in the soak the seeds started in. I leached the pots and the run-off was pretty dark brown, it took so much till it ran clear I thought I would now end up water logging them, so disgustingly I had to siphon the excess off by sucking the drain holes dry, lots of spitting, cursing Galuku etc, well you get the picture!, I don't know if they will recover? they do not look good right now they are in the I.C Unit, tut tut, never happens to £20 bag of #1 seeds does it?. If you are forced to buy the Galuku I would rinse it first to be certain.

Che

Veteran
That's dedication! Personally I would have transplanted but to each their own I guess..

daihashi

I leached the pots and the run-off was pretty dark brown, it took so much till it ran clear I thought I would now end up water logging them, so disgustingly I had to siphon the excess off by sucking the drain holes dry, lots of spitting, cursing Galuku etc, well you get the picture!, I don't know if they will recover? they do not look good right now they are in the I.C Unit, tut tut, never happens to £20 bag of #1 seeds does it?. If you are forced to buy the Galuku I would rinse it first to be certain.

WTF sucking the drain holes dry? Why wouldn't you just drill some new drain holes on the middle/side of the pot. Whenever I have to flush I use pots that have already been drilled with excess holes on the sides to help dry out the flush faster.

If you don't want to do that then whenever you pot up take a small PVC pipe and drill holes about every half inch or so. Insert into the outside portion of the medium in a NEW larger pot. This will help dry out your medium faster.

If you don't want to use a pvc pipe then you can also use very fine chicken wire that's been made into a small (2" diameter max) cylinder shape and stick that in the soil.

I've used all methods listed above with great success. Never had a problem with waterlogged plants. Even then in situation where I flushed in normal pots with no extra holes in coco I have never suffered from over watering.

ps: window a/c or dehumidifier works great also.

Peak 19 - a few minutes ago. A little over 4 weeks

White Widow - same, a little over 4 weeks.

Hi d', please feel free to post anything and everything you feel will contribute, you have already added lots of good stuff so please don't feel your hijacking this thread, I value your input greatly, that goes for all the constructive comments etc, thanks again to everyone who has/is posting :)

Pics @21 days, I did mean to post pic's of the 4th pair of clones that receive Boost & Molasses etc, I actually forgot to take them and by now they are 1/2 a week older/larger so not a good comparison!, it is only a few days till I post the 28 days pics I will wait till then and post all 4 pairs.

p1ninja

Thank-you to everyone who has posted, some great posts I want to come back to but need to post the pics first, OH :noway:, please debate but be nice if you disagree, we are ALL on the same side!. If anyone needs an example of how to disagree with good manners check out Bonecarver and Greyskull a few pages back.

Right, the girls are just starting to set out their stalls as you'll see, the plants are 21 days into 12/12 these being Hazy they are slow off the mark so the flowers are very fresh, ok, little!, I don't see any difference in any of the plants after 14 days of the various feeds, but I didn't expect to, these plants flower for around 10/11 weeks as clones so it is very early.

Plants A
picture.php

Plant A Bud
picture.php

Plants B
picture.php

Plant B Bud
picture.php

Plant B
picture.php

Plants C
picture.php

Plant C Bud
picture.php

I don't know how to post so they enlarge but they're in my album if needed, I will update the pics in 7 days.

So true...well said.

:joint:

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Peak 19 - a few minutes ago. A little over 4 weeks

White Widow - same, a little over 4 weeks.
Very nice d', they make my girls look very skinny :nanana:.
Yes, for those who asked, I did suck out of the holes, not that I am expecting to need one but I have since attached a straw to a spare tube for a wet-vac, believe me that was seriously disgusting, sadly 3 of my babies have died but 12 are looking better so with luck it won't be too bad. I was going to transplant Che but only had re-claimed Canna or the new stuff and either would have ended up just as wet but with extra stress from the transplant so I sucked it up, quite literally :bigeye:
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement everyone, it's good of you all, back Monday night with 28 day pics.

*mistress*

Veteran
I'm giving them a shout, and I'll see what they say ..
seems balanced & fair to send in a sample of blackstrap molasses too, for a full nute profile.

the food grade molasses w/ the most potassium, calcium & b1 that was found is wholesome sweeterners. but many here use plantation, brer rabbit, or grandmas.

came across feed grade molasses, & the profile is here:
calculating npk/nutrient profile

did closest profile that could be done w/ daily values #'s. some may have issues converting daily caloric values to npk analyises.

would be nice & fair to have a standardized profile of both solutions applied in this comparison... just a consideration.

enjoy your garden!

Very nice d', they make my girls look very skinny :nanana:.
Yes, for those who asked, I did suck out of the holes, not that I am expecting to need one but I have since attached a straw to a spare tube for a wet-vac, believe me that was seriously disgusting, sadly 3 of my babies have died but 12 are looking better so with luck it won't be too bad. I was going to transplant Che but only had re-claimed Canna or the new stuff and either would have ended up just as wet but with extra stress from the transplant so I sucked it up, quite literally :bigeye:
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement everyone, it's good of you all, back Monday night with 28 day pics.
Haha, I'm thinking mine have a slightly shorter finishing time than the hazes, plus, what a difference a week makes! Sorry to hear about the troubles, but the wet vac definitely sounds like a good way to go. I use mine for sucking excess out of the trays when I get way too much runoff. It's definitely an indispensable tool in my garden (I spill a lot, lol).

I'm guessing your coir might have a lot of sodium in it, which can be a side effect of unknown coco, as I'm sure you're aware. You might try washing some into a container and testing the runoff to see if that's part of the problem. We'll keep our fingers crossed that you don't have any more trouble!

Strangely

Best discussion thread I've read so far on the forums. Well done all for keeping it civil!

The CCF links were very interesting even with the cautionary quote of...
Maui LCF never caught on in a major way on the island. While I was in my last few years on the island most all farmers I knew where not using Maui LCF and the Ag store stopped carrying it. Most everyone was using black strap molasses in place of Maui LCF.

I believe that what's contained in Boost is a number of sugars, one of which is a messenger oligosaccharide contained in the cell walls of plants, which is released during a stem snap. When you prune a plant, have you ever noticed that after it is done with the stress it speeds up a bit?
Noobs like me very much appreciate all the info on these pages, even more so when they're spelt out so even I can understand them!

this stuff looks amazing. if I prove triacontinol to be effective, perhaps I will run it against this CCF stuff.

Now we're talking! So if Molasses is better as normal watering feed (method wise) and CCF and triacontinol are better foliar, would a spray containing CCF and triacontinol work, or is there an obvious reason why it wouldn't? Leaving molasses to be fed along with watering.

:pointlaug: :eek::

Best discussion thread I've read so far on the forums. Well done all for keeping it civil!

Noobs like me very much appreciate all the info on these pages, even more so when they're spelt out so even I can understand them!

Now we're talking! So if Molasses is better as normal watering feed (method wise) and CCF and triacontinol are better foliar, would a spray containing CCF and triacontinol work, or is there an obvious reason why it wouldn't? Leaving molasses to be fed along with watering.

I'm not sure if CCF is better as a foliar or not. Spraying after the buds start to harden is risky, since it invites mold and PM. Spraying mixes can be unpredictable, so it would require some testing.

*mistress*

Veteran

Now we're talking! So if Molasses is better as normal watering feed (method wise) and CCF and triacontinol are better foliar, would a spray containing CCF and triacontinol work, or is there an obvious reason why it wouldn't?
Leaving molasses to be fed along with watering.

these may be helpful, re foliar feeding:
Ultimate Foliar Feeding Recipe
Foliar feeding in flowering

most horticultural molasses is recommended as foliar feed.

enjoy your garden!

Strangely

Interesting reading. Not exactly a glowing recommendation from everyone, foliar spraying generally I mean. Still interested in experimenting with it. The key seems to be not directly spraying buds (bud rot) and not spraying too much in a humid environment especially if the air movement in your grow space is minimal (which if it is, should probably be sorted out anyway).

Couldn't find an answer to my original question though...
would a spray containing CCF and triacontinol work, or is there an obvious reason why it wouldn't?
What I mean is would the cancel each other out in any way?

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bloom day 28

Bloom day 28

Thanks again all for the great links and info etc, I am really pleased so many have stayed around, you've added so much to the thread, I can't imagine what it would be like without you boys/girls posting, Thank-you all. I better smoke a joint in your names!, it's the least I can do :joint:
On to this weeks pics, due to the amount of Haze still not a great deal to see but they've taken off in the last 3 or 4 day's, hopefully any differences should become evident from here on in.
I have tried to place each pair of plants in the same order/way round as last time so changes are easier to see, I think they are all the right way round, enough waffling ............

Control Plants A 28 days 12/12
picture.php

Control A bud @ 28 days
picture.php

B - Boost plants @ 28 days 12/12.
picture.php

B - Boost, better angle to give an idea how they look?
picture.php

B - Boost bud @ 28 days

picture.php

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Continued....

Continued....

C- Molasses @ 28 days 12/12

picture.php

C - Bud @ 28 days 12/12

picture.php

I have included a 4th set of the same cut, as I said previously these receive the basic control nutrients plus Boost AND Molasses. These will be known as the 'D' plants.

D @ 28 days 12/12
picture.php

D - Buds @ 28 days 12/12

picture.php

there we go. Now!, where is my bloody lighter?
Thanks for dropping by, H.L

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
great thread... :lurk:
Very kind of you. :)

Hi Mr Owl, good to see you here my friend, yes, there are two plants stood next to each other, when they are more defined I will part them slightly but there is not too much to see at the mo', typical, sorry if you was waiting, my Picasa went crazy half way through posting. Take care you! :)

*mistress*

Veteran
certainly no distinctions viewable thru pics...

any commentary relevant to potential (if slight) differences/nuances/fragrances?

do this same experiment every run..., so know that will be nearly impossible to say what plant rec'd what... i.e.g., if the plants were not labeled, & somebody else watered/fed them, would be almost impossible to tell apart just based on feed regimine.

eating the fruit will give final assesments though... definitely cannot see 400-500% (weighted for cost of boost) increase in yield over control @ this point...

enjoy your garden!

certainly no distinctions viewable thru pics...

any commentary relevant to potential (if slight) differences/nuances/fragrances?

do this same experiment every run..., so know that will be nearly impossible to say what plant rec'd what... i.e.g., if the plants were not labeled, & somebody else watered/fed them, would be almost impossible to tell apart just based on feed regimine.

eating the fruit will give final assesments though... definitely cannot see 400-500% (weighted for cost of boost) increase in yield over control @ this point...

enjoy your garden!

I've been pushing my PK pretty hard into them. I'm growing almost all organic except for the PK boosters, and the only burn the girls are showing came from the lights because I vegged too long :)

Latest posts

Latest posts