What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna Boost V Molasses - side by side comparison.

B

bonecarver_OG

there must be some confusion here

any statements about the cannaboost NOT beeing a flavour enhancer are false. check cannas webpage before saying anything...

if you guys believe all what salesmen say - stay away from tv-shop :D

the statement about a dialed in gardener... "but for a dialed in productive gardener, I bet it more than pays for itself."

id say its rather the oposite.

in a well dialed-in grow i dont see any point of using something like this, since dialed in means you plants are allready producing maximum.

i would not be able to see a 14 gram increase or even if its 28g, on a indoor crop thats pulling 1 gram/W anyway.

i mean honestly, come on, we are talking about increses that dont almost reach a porcentage! are you guys really sure about this? you do realise it does not sound like any of the the ones claiming for benefit has any proof what so ever?

i mean 14 per 600 W or 1000W is really a diminute increase. i mean on 1000 itd be a 1,4% increase? are you guys kidding me?

there is no way that can be 100% guaranteed to not be because of other factors like evironmental temperatures, light intensity etc...

i still vote for all of you to get one more light and you will see its actually more effective than any aditive possible :D nothing will increase the yield like doubling the amount of light. this doubles also the yields. now thats a noticeable proven difference that most people would realize :D or actually im sure everybody would.

this is a case of placebo effect.

im sure the boost would work wicked on tomatoes or cucumber... but since cannabis because of earlier mentioned facts, dont really benefit too much from it in obvious ways.

G

Greyskull

Bone - 14g is 14gs though.

you know that saying one mans trash is another mans treasure? lol

seriously when everything else is dialed... adding boost for a 14g bump in is really just squeezing every drop of blood possible. OVERKILL, for sure.

IMO its something you can argue successfully FOR and AGAINST

*mistress*

Veteran
1. You're right, not according to every gardner; but I guarantee you talk to 100 gardners and I'm confident about 70-80 of them would list yield in a number of their desired traits. As a matter of fact talk to any seed breeder and they will tell you Yield is a very important factor when selectively breeding.

2.No one wants a plant grown from seed that smells great, tastes great, but only yields 1/4 oz after 1 month of veg time and 2 months of flowering under HID.

3.I'm sorry you disagree with me but it's just that. A disagreement. I argue most people want more quality Yield out of their grows.

4.Ok some of this listed in here you just can't effect. It is the nature of CBN, THC, THCA etc etc that creates the mental or physical relaxation. Filling Capacity and duration of fullness? I'm not even sure what you're talking about there. The only thing I can agree with here are the first few things you listed "aromatics, taste, flavor, reproductive glands production, density". Really out of that list the only one that REALLY matters is reproductive glands production; which I'm assuming you meant to say Resin production. Even that can be argued as not a determining factor in growing dank ass weed. So again once more I'm not sure what you're arguing but this is your personal preference so I'll leave it at that.

5.According to who? I'm pretty sure you'd be one of the few people to not have yield in their top 10.

6.Not everyone is growing trees. Some of us are growing SOG; many people actually grow SOG. Yes plants allowed to be Vegged out and trained will produce a mass amount of buds but at the cost of TIME. Time is something we can't buy therefore it is the most VALUABLE resource we have. If we can find a way to increase the yield to time ration (also the G:W ratio) then why shouldn't you do it if it still produces quality bud.

7.Again I'm not sure what you're arguing.

8.Really; then why add enhancers at all? The lucas formula will do EVERYTHING you need.

9.I disagree with this also. If you really want to bring out all in a plant then maintain a great environment. Keep your lumens up to 50 - 75watts/f, don't overfeed and make sure the roots are healthy. Lastly you harvest according to trich color.

10.Duration of days really has nothing to do with when a plant is ready to be harvested. The plant will tell you when it's ready.

11.So you agree? Again what was your argument?

12.Again this is you and you say it as if you represent all of ICmag yet at the same time that it does not represent all gardners; furthermore you contradict yourself when you say yield is generally pursued as a top 3 goal where previously you said it's not even in the top 10. So which is it?

Look I personally don't care what anyone's goals are. The only reason I replied to this particular post is because it seemed you were purposefully singling me out for posting information with actual evidence that suggests that YES triacontanol will improve the onset of flowering and over all yields. Any grower who says he wouldn't like to get more weight out of his grow is flat out lying to you. Ask a guy if he can grow 2 oz on one plant or produce 6 oz of the same quality (or better) bud on one plant.. I think you know which he'll pick.

Your post struck me as defensive and I have no idea why since all I did was post useful information. All I have to say is do not let my post count fool you.

Good day every one... Going to vape a fat bowl then go to the feed store to pick up some Rye and see if I can find some alfalfa hay or pellets :joint:
...just for clarity, will # your paragraphs, reply & stop. internet forum on scope & breadth of any product should run the spectrum of the field. if not, why be @ ic mag? open forum to discuss varying pov...
1. dont talk. to other gardeners/breeders, except here. point of icmag... if 7 of 10 say yield is priority for them, has no bearing on priority for *mistress*.
2. veg longer... under 1k's... can get used 1k w/ ballast for 100 papers.
3. not gardening related.

4. aromatics=total composite aroma of the fruit. its distinctive 'aromatic' sig;
terrior=effects of different media/temps/vpd/lights/etc on same cut; taste=when is initially consumed; whther 'tart', 'sweet', 'pine', etc.; flavor=after consuming; that distinctive aroma, & taste that remains. reproductive glands production=...:D;
texture=structure of the fruit. from moist to dry; want clean meal, w/ pleasant after-taste.
density
=solid, yet pliable.
mental relaxation=
you enjoy eating the fruit. should be filling, but not heavy.
physical relaxation
=should be heavy.
filling capacity=after consuming fruit, duration of satiation.

5. not here for top 10 awards, only to enjoy garden.
6. tortoise & hare...
7. there is no argument. every garden/er is different.
8. lucas formula is kiss! props! add this/that for the ^-listed modest goals.
9. ?... when the fruit is ripe.
11.buy whatever makes you & your garden enjoyable. by all means, buy it!
12.*mistress* only gardens fictitiously & only for *mistress*. icmag is the internet... have not done poll to say what % of icmag is yield-prioritized;

however, contents of this thread itself may suggest this. 100 pieces of paper per liter of solution could possibly be considered exorbitant. the 'argument', if there is one, is that such a cost is justified by the results.

gh nutes, 1 part 'lucas/rez/head/cap full/8ml/10ml/15ml per gal

1 quart gh fnb 20 coins.
1 bucket maxibloom 15 coins.
1 250ml c.nn. boost 100 coins.

400% & ~566%, respectively, more than lucas formula, for 'yield'. are yields up 400% & 566%, respectively, after this, or any product? if so, and that is your thing - go for it!

*mistress* only suggested that, perhaps, some gardens did not have yield as a top 10 priority. some may. only poll can say. here, in daydream garden, whatever comes is a blessing from the goddesses.

hope you get blessed by the goddesses w/ all the yield you desire!

enjoy your garden!

nomaad

Veteran
Great discussion for the most part. I am using Massive and Finisher from Green Planet, both with triacontinol. I have had excellent success as a first time grower. I pulled down very nice nugs in a forced flower with these products. Almost no popcorn. I am hoping for 6-7 from my biggest full season plant. Its not Tom Hill... but it also ain't Benny Hill... Not sure how much of a role the triacontinol has played in my success.

I am very interested in running these products against alfalfa based teas in a controlled experiment. Also going to run Bud Candy against straight molasses and cane sugar (fair comparison?) in my greenhouse this winter.

Great discussion for the most part. I am using Massive and Finisher from Green Planet, both with triacontinol. I have had excellent success as a first time grower. I pulled down very nice nugs in a forced flower with these products. Almost no popcorn. I am hoping for 6-7 from my biggest full season plant. Its not Tom Hill... but it also ain't Benny Hill... Not sure how much of a role the triacontinol has played in my success.

I am very interested in running these products against alfalfa based teas in a controlled experiment. Also going to run Bud Candy against straight molasses and cane sugar (fair comparison?) in my greenhouse this winter.
I think it's a fair comparison. Bud candy has some added aminos (chelates) but I'm not convinced it's much better than molasses (and I was not crazy about the "flavor enhancer" which changed all of my strains to smell the same).

there must be some confusion here

any statements about the cannaboost NOT beeing a flavour enhancer are false. check cannas webpage before saying anything...

if you guys believe all what salesmen say - stay away from tv-shop :D

the statement about a dialed in gardener... "but for a dialed in productive gardener, I bet it more than pays for itself."

id say its rather the oposite.

in a well dialed-in grow i dont see any point of using something like this, since dialed in means you plants are allready producing maximum.

i would not be able to see a 14 gram increase or even if its 28g, on a indoor crop thats pulling 1 gram/W anyway.

i mean honestly, come on, we are talking about increses that dont almost reach a porcentage! are you guys really sure about this? you do realise it does not sound like any of the the ones claiming for benefit has any proof what so ever?

i mean 14 per 600 W or 1000W is really a diminute increase. i mean on 1000 itd be a 1,4% increase? are you guys kidding me?

there is no way that can be 100% guaranteed to not be because of other factors like evironmental temperatures, light intensity etc...

i still vote for all of you to get one more light and you will see its actually more effective than any aditive possible :D nothing will increase the yield like doubling the amount of light. this doubles also the yields. now thats a noticeable proven difference that most people would realize :D or actually im sure everybody would.

this is a case of placebo effect.

im sure the boost would work wicked on tomatoes or cucumber... but since cannabis because of earlier mentioned facts, dont really benefit too much from it in obvious ways.
Doubling the light for me would cost hundreds more than a bottle of boost. I don't believe everything salesmen tell me. However, I was not talking to a salesman. I was talking to the guy who develops the labels for Canna USA and answers the tech support questions. He had good things to say about a number of products that were not produced by Canna (Cutting Edge Solutions, for example), and told me that I shouldn't buy a bottle of PK 13/14 because my grow was too far along to benefit from it, and he didn't want me to potentially waste my money on the product if I wouldn't benefit from it.

He also admitted to me that they are having quality control issues with the Bio Terra Plus that is being imported to the US (which I was paying like $23 per bag for). Does that sound like something a salesman would say?

I'm not convinced that Boost only leads to necessarily as modest a gain as 14 g, but honestly, 14 g would cost me much more if I had to buy it from a club, so 14 g to me is worth it. If I get thc increase along with flavor enhancement, fragrance, etc, that is worth far more to me than the gain in yield alone, so the yield would be a bonus. I don't believe it's the placebo effect. If it is, I guess I will figure that out sooner or later, but in the meantime, I'm going to milk it for all it's worth.

A new piece of information has come to my attention. I found this on Canna's website (not the US one):

Booster: Yes or no?

The decision to use a booster product should be carefully considered. Why?

The fact that booster products entail higher costs immediately creates a pattern of expectation. Since Canna really wants to meet these expectations, but in an honest way, we advise our growers to take the following tips into consideration in order to avoid disappointment.
Canna Research Tip

If your yield is less than ¾ gram per watt then first invest in a growing room that provides optimum conditions. Many factors can restrict the yield during the growing cycle. Consider the following:

• incorrect water dosage strategy;
• incorrect feeding dosage (wrong EC/pH);
• problems with climate and lighting;
• plant material;
• diseases.

First research what the restricting factors could be and try to find solutions. This is guaranteed to generate higher yields. You should only consider a booster once the whole system is functioning optimally.

daihashi

...just for clarity, will # your paragraphs, reply & stop. internet forum on scope & breadth of any product should run the spectrum of the field. if not, why be @ ic mag? open forum to discuss varying pov...
1. dont talk. to other gardeners/breeders, except here. point of icmag... if 7 of 10 say yield is priority for them, has no bearing on priority for *mistress*.
2. veg longer... under 1k's... can get used 1k w/ ballast for 100 papers.
3. not gardening related.

4. aromatics=total composite aroma of the fruit. its distinctive 'aromatic' sig;
terrior=effects of different media/temps/vpd/lights/etc on same cut; taste=when is initially consumed; whther 'tart', 'sweet', 'pine', etc.; flavor=after consuming; that distinctive aroma, & taste that remains. reproductive glands production=...:D;
texture=structure of the fruit. from moist to dry; want clean meal, w/ pleasant after-taste.
density
=solid, yet pliable.
mental relaxation=
you enjoy eating the fruit. should be filling, but not heavy.
physical relaxation
=should be heavy.
filling capacity=after consuming fruit, duration of satiation.

5. not here for top 10 awards, only to enjoy garden.
6. tortoise & hare...
7. there is no argument. every garden/er is different.
8. lucas formula is kiss! props! add this/that for the ^-listed modest goals.
9. ?... when the fruit is ripe.
11.buy whatever makes you & your garden enjoyable. by all means, buy it!
12.*mistress* only gardens fictitiously & only for *mistress*. icmag is the internet... have not done poll to say what % of icmag is yield-prioritized;

however, contents of this thread itself may suggest this. 100 pieces of paper per liter of solution could possibly be considered exorbitant. the 'argument', if there is one, is that such a cost is justified by the results.

gh nutes, 1 part 'lucas/rez/head/cap full/8ml/10ml/15ml per gal

1 quart gh fnb 20 coins.
1 bucket maxibloom 15 coins.
1 250ml c.nn. boost 100 coins.

400% & ~566%, respectively, more than lucas formula, for 'yield'. are yields up 400% & 566%, respectively, after this, or any product? if so, and that is your thing - go for it!

*mistress* only suggested that, perhaps, some gardens did not have yield as a top 10 priority. some may. only poll can say. here, in daydream garden, whatever comes is a blessing from the goddesses.

hope you get blessed by the goddesses w/ all the yield you desire!

enjoy your garden!

Honestly this would've been more understandable if you replied to my quotes as I replied to your. I'm still not quite sure what point you're trying to get across but I don't really care enough to find out.

I made a suggestion to the forum of an alternative to boost and that was it. I still contest that if you tell a person the could double their yield of the same quality bud they would want to do it.

Again TIME is the most valuable asset and if we can find something to get more out of our grows which take TIME then why not?

It still seems you're saying yield isn't important to you but can you deny that if you had a product that could give you more yield for a small cost (not talking about boost I'm talking about making a tea or buying triacontanol in powdered form) then why not give it a go. I'll be trying it myself come flower time.

It's all a personal preference in the end and to each his own :friends:

nomaad

Veteran
I think it's a fair comparison. Bud candy has some added aminos (chelates) but I'm not convinced it's much better than molasses (and I was not crazy about the "flavor enhancer" which changed all of my strains to smell the same).

you mean the grape, cranberry and yeast extracts? I feel like Bud Candy comes thru on all my plants in a different way... but there are some similarities... so I know what you mean. I am really looking forward to testing it against plain molasses.

daihashi

It's great to have a post in here by a grower that recognizes triacontanol as an active ingredient in the products they use. Can you say it was a noticable difference compared to not using the product at all?

nomaad

Veteran
no, i cannot say. YET. if you read my thread you'll see that I am a newb of sorts... while I may be looking toward a 65 lb harvest next month, I do not have a lot of experience under my belt. This is my first grow.

I was turned on to the products with Triacontinol by a crew of growers that got 7lbs/plant 2 sesons ago and 10 last year. This year, they are looking at 15+ per plant. That, said, their hole size and spacing has increased each year. This is also the first year that Triacontinol has been added in the outdoor, though it was run with great success in the greenhouse in the spring (4.5 lbs on the biggest plant)... also, the strains have changed from year to year.

So... this winter, my greenhouse project is going to put all these products to the test in a series of controlled experiments. We currently have a small experiment (with very big plants) under way that is not controlled enough to bare any REAL scientific data, but it will make some suggestions as to the efficacy of the triacontinol-baring products. The greenhouse research will follow pretty strict guidelines for strains, similarity of cuttings, control groups, etc in order to render results that we'll be able to base real decisions on.

In the first round, I will run a group with Green Planet products with triacontinol vs a group with homemade alfalfa-based teas vs a group with nothing at all. The rest of the variables will be the same. The following round will be Bud Candy vs Molasses with all the other variables the same. I am only running 24 plants per round to stay in compliance with the law (as enforced in my county) so I cannot do much bigger experiments. I feel that groups with 6-8 plants are about as small as I would like to go... really, i'd prefer to do this in a sea of green with at least 100 plants per group, but that will be impossible while staying responsible to my family on the legal tip.

So... stay tuned. Read my thread and you'll see I'm not one of those guys who is going to talk big and then not act on it... I'm open to any kind of collaboration. Suggestions as to how the experiments should be organized are welcome. I haven't though the whole thing thru at this point (first I have to harvest my current crop and build me a greenhouse) so any quality criticism will be a good impetus in that direction.

ok hm

is canna trying to cover their back?!
Maybe they are actually trying to do the right thing! There are some good companies left out there. I know it's hard to believe because there are so many selling $1 ferts for $50, but maybe it really is good, and maybe they are really selling a good product that's not just molasses?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what test can be run on this product to find out the ingredients in this?

I might be able to pay for testing if it's not crazy expensive. sometimes I think they charge per chemical in most test??

you mean the grape, cranberry and yeast extracts? I feel like Bud Candy comes thru on all my plants in a different way... but there are some similarities... so I know what you mean. I am really looking forward to testing it against plain molasses.
Yeah, I think I'm used to the smell of certain strains, so it's possible that I was reacting to the fact that it's different more than anything. Maybe I'll try it again next run to see if I like it better, although I was thinking seriously about trying the yellow bottle (great marketing, btw, "I can't think of the name - they are in the yellow bottles") line next time.

nomaad

Veteran
Yeah, I think I'm used to the smell of certain strains, so it's possible that I was reacting to the fact that it's different more than anything. Maybe I'll try it again next run to see if I like it better, although I was thinking seriously about trying the yellow bottle (great marketing, btw, "I can't think of the name - they are in the yellow bottles") line next time.

somebody i knew back in the rave days had the idea that babies and the color yellow were the two most powerful forces in marketing. he started a party promotions company called yellowbabies. never amounted to anything so that's where my OT anecdote ends. just made me think of it. i know the brand of nutes you're talking about but cannot remember the name either... so there must have been something to his theory.

G

Greyskull

haha i recently read that houses painted yellow sell faster than houses not painted yellow....

B

bonecarver_OG

hehe :D i think back when i studied economy with marketing and distrubution, we went thru all the colours that are conected to different suposed emotions.

i remember clearly yellow was an inspiring colour, and green was a tranquilizing colour. try painting a bedroom in green tones and you will know what i talk about :D we recently painted part of the guest bedroom in a foresty green tone :D now soon we will move in there for good :D its like sleeping in the nature hehe :D the light that comes in during the morning is fantastic :D

peace mates

http://containergardening.wordpress...d-organic-gardening-google-tristate-observer/ It's possible that this is the secret ingredient in Boost.

http://www.drjimz.com/
http://www.mauilcf.com/
Both are the same product.

http://www.cannabis-world.org/cw/showthread.php?t=4891 Here's a thread I found about it - the brewing method (if not the ingredients and timeframe) sounds very similar to the process that was described to me. I'm not sure what the dilution rate is, so I don't know if it's cheaper or more expensive than boost, but it might be interesting to run side-by-side with boost (which, incidentally was described to me as "discovered by accident" and "was originally used to protect fruit trees from frost").

somebody i knew back in the rave days had the idea that babies and the color yellow were the two most powerful forces in marketing. he started a party promotions company called yellowbabies. never amounted to anything so that's where my OT anecdote ends. just made me think of it. i know the brand of nutes you're talking about but cannot remember the name either... so there must have been something to his theory.
Lol, interesting. The company is called Agricultural Organics, and the line is usually referred to as "Bloom" which is a confusing enough name that I have taken to calling it the "Yellow Bottle" line. I think I'm going to be picking up a bottle of "Ultra" for my overvegged girls. I've heard great things about it - but I thought boost was expensive. This stuff is downright insane :) Next run might be an experimental one - I have a sample of bloombastic, which I am thinking about trying with boost, and I've heard really good things about this stuff.

Latest posts

Latest posts