What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna Boost V Molasses - side by side comparison.

B

bonecarver_OG

i would say its the oposite, all scientific development almost in questions of agriculture and horticulture are first developed for profesional use, and later we weed growers start experimenting with them, picking what we can.

MJ's needs in questions of nutricion etc is many times quite different to most other comercial crops like tomaotoes (a veggetable!), or even most other flowers. any product that increases the amount of flowers in the plants also increase yield, this is for sure, but its very different for example with tomatoes or cucumbers, where ONE flower turns into a vegetable/fruit, here the nutricional needs change quite drastically in comparison to MJ. MJ are clusters of hundreds or thousands of pistils and calyx, all individual flowers, and none of these flowers will turn into a fruit or a vegetable.

so in other words a product that benefits enormously a agricultural crop of vegetables or fruit, might give very litlle if any results in MJ.

hehe an other expensive flower is saffron :D hehe a product like this might revolutionize saffron production :D ;) hehe its going for up to 11000 dollars a /kg

but as i said earlier, the extremmely small increase in yield for the big price tag is the thing i think most of us dont like. it doesnt matter how i look at it but the fact the product goes very quick... and using for example 3 bottles during a flower cycle, and gain only a few grams, is not realistic where i live. weed here is NOT that expensive. not usually atleast. other fact is that some expensive products might be worth it for a comercial grower, while people like me who grow for their own supply, this is just one hella expence extra. i cant justify that my own smoke doubles in price. makes no sence at all.

im prepared to experiment in the future with triacontanol. but only if i find some local supply :D

Wait...What?

Veteran
why is it so hard to believe that Canna would sell a product that the market [for right or for wrong] is clamoring for? People think they need some sort of sweetener in the product line, so they come up with one and people snap it up.

the placebo effect runs strong on internet forums, too.

and corn is probably the closest crop to what we're doing here. an annual plant that just runs its course and then dies.

B

bonecarver_OG

corn might be quite similar in some aspects, besides the fruiting phaze, meaning when the seeds/kernels niblets or what ever to call it start increasing in size, the nutricion needs must differ from marijuana. atleast because most of the cannabis we all grow is sinsemilla.

peace :D

*mistress*

Veteran
Triacontanol improved flower initiation and overall yields; which is what this is all about... yields

:woohoo:

Taken from http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/53/368/505
no, it is not all about yields for every garden/er...

here, yield is not even a factor in the top 10 of desired characteristics here....

aromatics, terrior, taste, flavor, reproductive glands production, texture, density, mental relaxation, physical relaxation, filling capacity, duration of fullness, after-effects of fullness, etc...

if yield was added as a goal here, it would be ~13th on the ^ list...

simply not an issue w/ long veg that makes trees. all the ladies get to live to @ least 63 too. eyes go to min 63. s's go min 65-77. no sense of hurry... when they are pulled, they have fully completed their 'year'(annual) of life...

do not add any 'enhancers', etc. solely for yield. whatever is harvested is just that.

if really want to bring out all in a plant, go to @ least 63 days.

recall that 'messenger' was a product people wanted back on c.w.... lots of coins, supposed extraordinary results, etc. there are always 'new' products, that have been around a long time... far from interested enough for 100 sheets of paper /liter. if yield is all that the product is about, can simply veg under 400-1k's for 4-8 weeks - like do anyway. yield is also genetically dependent.

quality over quantity any day. if you can merge the 2, w/ canna boost, good for you! cool!

here, yield is not even on radar. only objective is full expression of the genetics of the fruit itself. just pointing this out to illustrate that not all gardens have same goals. while yield is generally pursued as a top-3-goal; other gardens' goals may be 180* different.

enjoy your garden!

daihashi

im prepared to experiment in the future with triacontanol. but only if i find some local supply :D

Pretty sure alfalfa hay can be had anywhere; or those feed pellets. The only thing that turns me off about the feed pellets is the amount of N they contain; but I'm sure you could alter whatever formula you're using to cut out a bit of N.

daihashi

no, it is not all about yields for every garden/er...

here, yield is not even a factor in the top 10 of desired characteristics here....

You're right, not according to every gardner; but I guarantee you talk to 100 gardners and I'm confident about 70-80 of them would list yield in a number of their desired traits. As a matter of fact talk to any seed breeder and they will tell you Yield is a very important factor when selectively breeding.

No one wants a plant grown from seed that smells great, tastes great, but only yields 1/4 oz after 1 month of veg time and 2 months of flowering under HID.

I'm sorry you disagree with me but it's just that. A disagreement. I argue most people want more quality Yield out of their grows.

aromatics, terrior, taste, flavor, reproductive glands production, texture, density, mental relaxation, physical relaxation, filling capacity, duration of fullness, after-effects of fullness, etc...

Ok some of this listed in here you just can't effect. It is the nature of CBN, THC, THCA etc etc that creates the mental or physical relaxation. Filling Capacity and duration of fullness? I'm not even sure what you're talking about there. The only thing I can agree with here are the first few things you listed "aromatics, taste, flavor, reproductive glands production, density". Really out of that list the only one that REALLY matters is reproductive glands production; which I'm assuming you meant to say Resin production. Even that can be argued as not a determining factor in growing dank ass weed. So again once more I'm not sure what you're arguing but this is your personal preference so I'll leave it at that.

if yield was added as a goal here, it would be ~13th on the ^ list...

According to who? I'm pretty sure you'd be one of the few people to not have yield in their top 10.

simply not an issue w/ long veg that makes trees. all the ladies get to live to @ least 63 too. eyes go to min 63. s's go min 65-77. no sense of hurry... when they are pulled, they have fully completed their 'year'(annual) of life...

Not everyone is growing trees. Some of us are growing SOG; many people actually grow SOG. Yes plants allowed to be Vegged out and trained will produce a mass amount of buds but at the cost of TIME. Time is something we can't buy therefore it is the most VALUABLE resource we have. If we can find a way to increase the yield to time ration (also the G:W ratio) then why shouldn't you do it if it still produces quality bud.

Again I'm not sure what you're arguing.

do not add any 'enhancers', etc. solely for yield. whatever is harvested is just that.

Really; then why add enhancers at all? The lucas formula will do EVERYTHING you need.

if really want to bring out all in a plant, go to @ least 63 days.

I disagree with this also. If you really want to bring out all in a plant then maintain a great environment. Keep your lumens up to 50 - 75watts/f, don't overfeed and make sure the roots are healthy. Lastly you harvest according to trich color.

Duration of days really has nothing to do with when a plant is ready to be harvested. The plant will tell you when it's ready.

quality over quantity any day. if you can merge the 2, w/ canna boost, good for you! cool!

So you agree? Again what was your argument?

here, yield is not even on radar. only objective is full expression of the genetics of the fruit itself. just pointing this out to illustrate that not all gardens have same goals. while yield is generally pursued as a top-3-goal; other gardens' goals may be 180* different.

Again this is you and you say it as if you represent all of ICmag yet at the same time that it does not represent all gardners; furthermore you contradict yourself when you say yield is generally pursued as a top 3 goal where previously you said it's not even in the top 10. So which is it?

Look I personally don't care what anyone's goals are. The only reason I replied to this particular post is because it seemed you were purposefully singling me out for posting information with actual evidence that suggests that YES triacontanol will improve the onset of flowering and over all yields. Any grower who says he wouldn't like to get more weight out of his grow is flat out lying to you. Ask a guy if he can grow 2 oz on one plant or produce 6 oz of the same quality (or better) bud on one plant.. I think you know which he'll pick.

Your post struck me as defensive and I have no idea why since all I did was post useful information. All I have to say is do not let my post count fool you.

Good day every one... Going to vape a fat bowl then go to the feed store to pick up some Rye and see if I can find some alfalfa hay or pellets :joint:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
i would say its the oposite, all scientific development almost in questions of agriculture and horticulture are first developed for profesional use, and later we weed growers start experimenting with them, picking what we can.

MJ's needs in questions of nutricion etc is many times quite different to most other comercial crops like tomaotoes (a veggetable!), or even most other flowers. any product that increases the amount of flowers in the plants also increase yield, this is for sure, but its very different for example with tomatoes or cucumbers, where ONE flower turns into a vegetable/fruit, here the nutricional needs change quite drastically in comparison to MJ. MJ are clusters of hundreds or thousands of pistils and calyx, all individual flowers, and none of these flowers will turn into a fruit or a vegetable.

so in other words a product that benefits enormously a agricultural crop of vegetables or fruit, might give very litlle if any results in MJ.

hehe an other expensive flower is saffron :D hehe a product like this might revolutionize saffron production :D ;) hehe its going for up to 11000 dollars a /kg

but as i said earlier, the extremmely small increase in yield for the big price tag is the thing i think most of us dont like. it doesnt matter how i look at it but the fact the product goes very quick... and using for example 3 bottles during a flower cycle, and gain only a few grams, is not realistic where i live. weed here is NOT that expensive. not usually atleast. other fact is that some expensive products might be worth it for a comercial grower, while people like me who grow for their own supply, this is just one hella expence extra. i cant justify that my own smoke doubles in price. makes no sence at all.

BonecarverOG, as you so correctly say, most Horticultural products are not going to really help us, but some may do. My point is that some growers are looking at producing quality and quantity, so some fancy techniques and expensive potions can be applied on a cost effective basis to Marijuana that cannot be justified for Tomatoes or Corn.

You mention how cheap Spanish weed is and that is also valid, grow some in say New York and it will be worth 3x the amount, maybe making something worthwhile there that is not for us.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
why is it so hard to believe that Canna would sell a product that the market [for right or for wrong] is clamoring for? People think they need some sort of sweetener in the product line, so they come up with one and people snap it up.

the placebo effect runs strong on internet forums, too.

and corn is probably the closest crop to what we're doing here. an annual plant that just runs its course and then dies.

I base my feeling on having met the Canna people and spending a few hours with them, they are totally on our side because they are our side, really good people.

They do not sell a sweetener in the product line even though they could do it ... and make money, further evidence to me that they are people of integrity.

Boost is not a sweetner, nor is it a Molasses type product, it is expensive and would probably be wasted on most grows, but for a dialed in productive gardener, I bet it more than pays for itself.

daihashi

I'll take a 10% increase in earliness over 20% increase in yield ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Average of 7 days early (10%) vs 20% increase of yields? That's really hard to say. If you're getting 6 grows in a year then that's 6 weeks saved.. almost an entire other grow in, but if you got an increase of 20% for 5 grows over your norm....

Really hard to say. I think it would just break even either way. I would need more than a 10% decrease in flowering duration to make a judgement on that and even then it's harder to decrease flower time than it is to increase yield/time/watt ratio. CO2 helps since it increases the plants metabolic rate, hydroponics/coco helps since it increases the amount of oxygen in the root zone. Maybe triacontanol would decrease flowering/fruiting time as well since it increases the rate of photosynthesis. Who knows?

B

bonecarver_OG

CHAOScatalynia . good point - but should ad boost IS marketted as flavour enhancing. this is why i think it has some molasses kind of product in it. :D

if they suddenly have changed the marketting of the product and i have not have had timne to see it i apologize.

examples;

"CannaBoost no sólo garantiza un rendimiento superior, sino que también tiene propiedades potenciadoras del sabor"

"CANNABOOST guarantees a higher yield, but also contains flavour-enhancing characteristics. "

also read the paragraf about flavour

http://www.hydroponics-hydroponics.com/pd-canna-boost-accelerator.cfm

http://www.greenshorticulture.co.uk...-Products-233/Canna-Boost-Accelerator-837.asp

from cannas OWN WEBSITE;

"Fuller, more powerful taste"

and if you do search the web you will find there is more than one that think it does nothing..

so believe what u want, but since i got a degree of economics besides manythings, i know marketing is 99 % hype, and this seems to be the most in-efective of all canna products.

G

Greyskull

i am just reading thru al the science stuff, and i have a simple question....

is a $100 investment worth a $200-$250 return in 8/9 weeks time?

*when i was ebb n flowing w 40g rez I was going thru a L per crop.... now that I am handwatering I am using half the amount i was before... so its like tha $100 one time is turning into $400-$500 when the bottle is dry....

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

greyskull if ur saying your 14 gram increase means a 500 dollar profit.... it seems to me the european market is far less blown up out of proportions.

in most of europe a bulk kilo of good bud will NOT go for much more than 5-6 euro a gram unless you live in norway where gram price is maybe 4 times higher. but thats the MOST expensive cannabis market in europe.

so, basicly the opinion is, for such a diminute increase the product still seems useless to us.

also we cant take as a rule the 14 grams increase since we obviously dont have any proof of it at all. i dont mean i dont believe you, im just saying it should be done under controlled circumstances and well documented before there can be made any claims or conclusions what so ever.

peace mate :D

G

Greyskull

i hear you. 14g x 2 harvests (since I am getting 2 crops outs of a bottle now) would be the extra 400-500 bones.

like i was saying earlier, dont mind me, i can appreciatte some of the more minute differences others cannot. I mean, who else is gonna pay $100 for 12ft of guitar cable? but i can hear the difference....
same thing i guess for me & boost
carry on.

As I said before, Canna are decent people, I do not believe for one minute they would compromise all their great reputation with one Snake Oil product.

There are plenty of things us weed growers can learn from other branches of Horticulture, but always remember we grow a totally unique product, it's value is way higher than any other plant [that I know of] ... so the techniques, equipment and materials professional weed growers can afford to use are way ahead of most ofhers.

The info on how Advanced resell some commercial Horticultural products at many times the original price was most interesting, but I just plain flat refuse to believe Canna are anything but straight.
I totally agree, I think that much of this paranoia is due in large part to a bunch of people selling molasses in fancy bottles, but I don't think Canna goes that route. I talked to their US guy for 3+ hours and never once got the impression that he was BS-ing me (can't say the same for the rep from some other companies).

I base my feeling on having met the Canna people and spending a few hours with them, they are totally on our side because they are our side, really good people.

They do not sell a sweetener in the product line even though they could do it ... and make money, further evidence to me that they are people of integrity.

Boost is not a sweetner, nor is it a Molasses type product, it is expensive and would probably be wasted on most grows, but for a dialed in productive gardener, I bet it more than pays for itself.
Ditto.

I'm having great luck with it so far.

The additive that I found containing Triacontanol is the yellow bottle Final Bloom, so maybe it reinitiates some bloom to increase final yield.

http://www.rexresearch.com/hhusb/hh2cul.htm#HH210
Triacontanol is a fatty alcohol found in many plants. It increases growth rates and yields up to 25%, and increases the protein content, even during darkness when plants usually are dormant. Triacontanol seems to enhance the growth of plants without increasing their consumption of nitrogen. The simplest way to use triacontanol is to plow under a crop of alfalfa, which contains relatively large amounts of the substance. Triacontanol is extracted from sunflower seeds or alfalfa by chloroform; filter and evaporate the solution to yield crude triacontanol. The dosage is 1 ppm in water.