What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can 3 Pounds Per Light Be Achieved? Better Back It Up With Proof, Talk Is Cheap!

Can 3 Pounds Per Light Be Achieved? Better Back It Up With Proof, Talk Is Cheap!

• Total voters

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Times they are a changing!

Times they are a changing!

Technology is happening!

3 pounds or even 4 is very attainable with gavitas. A friend just upgraded his 30k light room to 27k gavitas. He used to pull 60+ from his 30 hps lights, he just pulled 90 from 27 gavitas first round. All "A" quality strain was Jack H

SOG with gavitas and a boss de reflector it is very attainable. The boss reflector puts out close to a 6x6 footprint. Where as your standard 1k hps puts out a 4x4 footprint.
Its simply math at this point.

4x4=16 standard hps

6x6=36 gavita with boss de

16x2=32

36>32

So one gavita has the potential to cover more than 2x the square footage of a standard hps reflector.

We all know that 2 pounds per a 4x4 with a standard hps is happening and believable. So if you can get more than 2x the coverage why not 2x the yield?

many people dont think that small scale growers are entitled to opinions on big lights :)

1.36 grams per watt is what we're talking about, thats a high yield, but i have achieved that and above on many occasions with horizontal modular scrogs in organic soil, you just need good soil and to make sure there are no gaps in the canopy.

ive even managed 1.2 gpw with pre-98 bubba kush, a cut many people drop for its low yeilds. get to know your strains/cuts and you will get the best out of them if you are prepared to make sure that no light is wasted.

VG

Thats funny you mention pre 98. Of all the plants I've grown she was the heaviest at 2.5 per light

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
sureshot66 just pulled 3 #s per light on 2 horizontal flood tables with 3 d.e.1ks. 3 lights 9#s of dried trimmed weighed gg#4. hes not vert hes not a long vegger and he doesnt use pgrs.

heres the kicker. 2 weeks veg. 20 clones per light. 70 days.

it sounds like it was killer too.

he doesnt bullshit. hes got a nice clean dialed environment and it was in beds of coco on topfeed hydro dtw. he has some fancy complex feeding program. it is documented in a killer thread he did. its in the coco growing section.

Snype

Veteran
sureshot66 just pulled 3 #s per light on 2 horizontal flood tables with 3 d.e.1ks. 3 lights 9#s of dried trimmed weighed gg#4. hes not vert hes not a long vegger and he doesnt use pgrs.

heres the kicker. 2 weeks veg. 20 clones per light. 70 days.

it sounds like it was killer too.

he doesnt bullshit. hes got a nice clean dialed environment and it was in beds of coco on topfeed hydro dtw. he has some fancy complex feeding program. it is documented in a killer thread he did. its in the coco growing section.

OMFG! Good looks on that link! About to design a grow similar to his now! Gotta love this site! So much great information!

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
OMFG! Good looks on that link! About to design a grow similar to his now! Gotta love this site! So much great information!

i built my hydro system pretty much exactly like his with a few lil bells and whistles of my own. set it and forget it. the plants love it and its soooo easy to run.

DunHav`nFun

Wow guys , I guess the crowd round here`s gotten so young that nobody searches archives and old threads anymore for reference from the old heads....well....

Flowerfarmer bringin up Soquick touches on the gpw`s , but go look up the old Krusty bucket threads where EVERY pic amounts to 3+ lb plants with 33.5 lbs outta a 10 KW room was his best in a warehouse setting......now...

Krusty usedta veg to "tits high"/round 3' outta the containers that took less than a month veg btw , and then pulled the trigger with top colas brushing the ceilings by end of stretch every run using his perfect Sat/Ind hybrid that made 3 liter coke bottle sized laterals and tops , and yeah...

Some called it beasters back then , but the shit sold like hot cakes so it`s all subjective at best....and then there`s another that comes to mind from recent times here....

Don Juan Matuus now a days that runs perpetual 3 lb plants all under their very own 1KW fixture , but again as has been mentioned , a fair amount of vegtime for the more indica hybrids most folks run these days....and lastly just to piss all the naysayers and close-minded folks off.....

For right at 20 yrs since Cali went wild wild west legal beagle , My guys that`ve been runnin a clone factory for all the major clubs up and down the west coast (based right down the road from you Krunch btw) , pull 4 lbs per light EVERY run in 4x4 flood tables usin pick of the litter fully rooted cuts with absolutely NO vegtime under 1KW`s and parabolics on a perpetual setup harveyin 4 lbs a week with only 10 lights......so folks.....

256-1/4 oz+/- colas with little to no trim needed and only have ta Harvey 1 table and replant 1 table a week still gives em 208 lbs per yr consistently in laboratory conditions , again with only 10 lights....that said....

Never say never cuz there`s many ways ta skin a mule , but without runnin crazy ass plant numbers OR crazy ass vegtimes AND employing perpetual tactics , the conventional race for more dry material per light in any type timely manner plainly lies with the new double ended fixtures that can properly cover more of a sq ftg footprint IF properly maintained canopy AND environment along with adequate watts per sq ft all fall into place for dialage.....

DJM`s perpetual setup allows him to pull 3-4 plants per month once all ducks are in a row , so rooting , pre-veg , and increased veg times are all relative if the final result still gives you 9-12+ units EVERY month but with only 3-4 plants , so it`s all in how you play the game right guys ?.......anything`s possible.....period....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

DooDahMan

old heads

:tiphat:

Great point you got, the voters who say it can be done are certainly older on average than the ones who say it's impossible.

Poor growers are probably frustrated about that and of course they'd still like to think they're doing ok.
(I had many simular discussions on poker forums with losing players that insist it is luck and will not accept it is skill)

The sad truth is over 90% of the grows on this forum are poor and because of that now everybody thinks that's normal.
You can't even say anything about it, because that is considered not nice and the messenger will be shot.
So we see pictures that are too embarrasing to post and everybody will go "wow looking great".

I can imagine all the better growers leaving this place, especially if nobody listens to them anyway.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Throw a single 1000watt up in a bedroom on the ceiling, and fill the room with plants, mission accomplished! But whats the quality going to be like?
With the right genetics , in Hydroponics, co2, sealed room, perfect environment and feed schedule, extended veg time, proper pruning and spacing, decreased watts/sq.ft., light movers, vertical setup, ect, ect, etc. It would be relatively easy to get 3lbs per 1000 watts. If your an experienced grower, you can get 3 or more pounds from 1000watts of light if you wanted to in a normal setup. Thing is, growing like this its not very efficient in the long term because of the the veg time that is usually associated with it.

I have found a satisfying medium between quantity and quality. 37.5 watts/sq.ft. is right around the sweet spot. Thats pretty much a 4x4 area with a 600watt over it. Your going to get better chance at yield with 5x600's vs 3x1000's. Same amount of wattage, but more spread out. If your doing monster plants, 600's may not be the way to go.

Years back i took my best yielder, and I did 6 600's with 24 plants in 5gal coco smart pots. I got 10.3lbs without even trying. Im going to see if i can replicate it again and do better. It worked out to 1.71lbs per 600watt light.
For a comparison-8.58lbs from 5x600's (3000 watts), vs. 9.00lbs from 3x1000's(3000watts). Pretty damn close to the equivalent of 3lbs per 1000watts. Thats not too bad considering it wasnt even a sealed room, and no c02 added...

To answer the op's question. 3lbs from 1000watts is more than possible.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
yes if you weigh everything ..lol.. can you harvest 3lbs primo bud ??? fuck no, some peeps lie like a mutherfukker...

DrFever

Veteran
This cannot be done with soil. It would have to be hydro or aero.
Why would you say that for instance one of my very first grows indoor consisted of 2000 watts one HPS other MH strain was
Afghanistan kush room was 13 x 18 by 8 feet high 76 plants started from clone final plant numbers were 72 some died water fed and one big gong show to do it ...
took like 3 - 4 hrs to carefully move all plants to one side of room and water and move over to other side talk about coming out of there sticky as fuck from head to toe from being so close to buds
anyways vegged 5 1/2 weeks un molested plants meaning no topping training nothing final heights were over 5 feet tall yield was 7 pounds and few oz does this equate to 3.5 pounds per light ??? also i might add was combating spider mites as well fucking clones infested little did i know until 4th week of veg to my surprise

Attachments

• !cid_0307010805b.jpg
    !cid_0307010805b.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 67
  • !cid_0312012200a.jpg
    !cid_0312012200a.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 64

DrFever

Veteran
PS after that grow not sure if it was cause of new lights etc second grow same amount of plants 3 k and my numbers dropped was like WTF gives and also topped 10 or so plants either way came to realize it was way to much work hand watering and as of today instead of big plant numbers i down sized to 4 plants per 5x5 area Scrog achieving 1180 dry grams per 1000 watts

DrFever

Veteran
Throw a single 1000watt up in a bedroom on the ceiling, and fill the room with plants, mission accomplished! But whats the quality going to be like?
With the right genetics , in Hydroponics, co2, sealed room, perfect environment and feed schedule, extended veg time, proper pruning and spacing, decreased watts/sq.ft., light movers, vertical setup, ect, ect, etc. It would be relatively easy to get 3lbs per 1000 watts. If your an experienced grower, you can get 3 or more pounds from 1000watts of light if you wanted to in a normal setup. Thing is, growing like this its not very efficient in the long term because of the the veg time that is usually associated with it.

I have found a satisfying medium between quantity and quality. 37.5 watts/sq.ft. is right around the sweet spot. Thats pretty much a 4x4 area with a 600watt over it. Your going to get better chance at yield with 5x600's vs 3x1000's. Same amount of wattage, but more spread out. If your doing monster plants, 600's may not be the way to go.

Years back i took my best yielder, and I did 6 600's with 24 plants in 5gal coco smart pots. I got 10.3lbs without even trying. Im going to see if i can replicate it again and do better. It worked out to 1.71lbs per 600watt light.
For a comparison-8.58lbs from 5x600's (3000 watts), vs. 9.00lbs from 3x1000's(3000watts). Pretty damn close to the equivalent of 3lbs per 1000watts. Thats not too bad considering it wasnt even a sealed room, and no c02 added...

To answer the op's question. 3lbs from 1000watts is more than possible.

I have used light movers there garbage saw loss in yield as light penetration is not steady in one spot ran one light stationary and 2 6 foot light movers running opposite of each other was disappointed with outcome

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Movers increased my yield by at least 10-15% when i used them. Its all about not letting them run too long of a distance, and correct timing of how long they pause for before going back and forth. If you get it right, they work well. I rigged up 4 600's on a mover over a custom built table. It was about 18x4, or 20x4 i dont remember. As a comparison without the mover, i would have done a 16x4 area for 4 600watts.

Miraculous Meds

I was skeptical on being able to get gpw grows, let alone the 1.4gpw ur talking about. the simple truth is its hard to believe if u have never done it. The trick is to humble urself, and realize that there is always more to learn, and improve on. While there might be differences in how much u dry or how much material u trim off, these yields have been achieved for more than 20 years.

I dry till its close to crumbly. And I trim close to every sugar leaf off. Ive hit just under 2lbs per 600w, which is right around 1.4gpw. So comparable to 3lb per 1k. It wasn't dialed and the canopy wasn't filled, so there is room to increase for sure. No larf, and quality was good. 1.0 to 1.2ec, no additives or bloom boosters. Dtw, or recirculating coco.

I think there are some key things to help u achieve these higher yields. First let me say that nothing will beat sog for efficiency. End of story. But for those that want to have small plant counts, u have to veg them big enough to fill the canopy.

Canopy management is critical. U have to have almost every square inch filled as best u can. U have to understand the perfect distance from bulb to finish at, and the max distance from bulb that u can grow healthy buds with no larf. So u have to nail filling in a canopy with the right distances, with out overfilling it causing larf and loss of yield. Nothing replaces experience with a strain to know how to fill a canopy by end of stretch.

Next is using more than one light source to take advantage of side lighting. This alone might be the reason for gaining 10 to 15% more than running lights by themselves.

gregor_mendel

Don Juan Matuus now a days that runs perpetual 3 lb plants all under their very own 1KW fixture , but again as has been mentioned , a fair amount of vegtime for the more indica hybrids most folks run these days....and lastly just to piss all the naysayers and close-minded folks off.....

Hey DHF

I am not familiar with Don Juan Matuus.
Is that exactly how his handle is typed?
Couldn't find him on a search, and you have piqued my interest.