What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can 3 Pounds Per Light Be Achieved? Better Back It Up With Proof, Talk Is Cheap!

Can 3 Pounds Per Light Be Achieved? Better Back It Up With Proof, Talk Is Cheap!

• Total voters

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
i just started a thread cuz that book they marketing for 500, guess i shoulda searched first. Bump for 2016.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Yes it can be done, there are so many variables involved but if you have the right genetics, environment dialled in then it all comes down to your technique, high number SOG grows with hydro or soilless medium works well.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Anything can be achieved when you put your mind to it, just because someone tells you it can't be done because they haven't seen it doesn't make that true, the above pics are from a friend of mine, Doneit. He's hitting 3lb+ per lamp, the strain is WD40.

Peace,
HGO

HGO

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Well ok, you can do it with months of veg time...

By the time your just flowering, im harvesting. And if I play my clones right, 2 harvests by the time your harvest once...

You may of got the 3 lbs per light, but I nearly doubled your yield in the same time frame...
I have said this all along....yeehaw

rykus

I've personally never seen an actual 3 per and I've been in a lot of pretty large scale commercial grows in the last 16-17 years since I my first 30+ light place...

That said I've also never seen a fully perfect run, and I've seen a lot of 2.4-2.6 lbs per with pretty decent turn arounds and some of those guys are 2+ every time...

I said it in the other thread and will say again here, I think it's possible through strain and actual room tuning, but most of us build to fit a pre existing structure, or don't rebuild often enough to make those improvements...but just off the math alone I've seen a lot of cuts that if every plant got the # of the best plant would be over 3... But if all were smallest would be <1..lol

I'd like to hit 3 per once in my grow career,lol but I'll work my way up...

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
15 or 20 years ago I was shown a garden in an apartment in coquitlam BC (Canada). the guy was growing trees. At the time I had never seen anything like that done indoors, especially an apartment LOL He was a newfie, a big bear of a guy and can't remember his name. His strain came from someone on Vancouver island and the same folks taught him his technique. Anyhow, to this day I have not seen plants like that in person. He ran 6 plants grown to finish at the ceiling, untopped.
6x 1000 watt lights, stacked on movers. 3 on each side of the plants stacked 2x 1000 HPS with 1x MH 1000w in the middle. They claimed 20lbs per crop and I had no problem believing that. The plants vegged 6 months from what I remember and knowing what I know now, I believe an automatic watered 15 gallon hempy bucket style was what they were using, with a kiddy pool as a res and GH nutes.
that's all I know about it but that's the only grower I've ever met who's plants literally blew my mind and shattered what I thought was possible to do indoors.
I've vegged plants 3 months and got 4 to 6 ounces per , but I like a faster turn over. I can be happy if I get 1lb per light LOL as long as it is killer in all other depts. :)

DunHav`nFun

I built and climatized 10x10 rooms with 4-600`s in the corners and cheapass 1K MH bulbs in an "X" pattern , and ran Krusty buckets for a solid decade pumpin out 2-1/2 lb plants consistently with 34 watts per sq ft....but....

No crazy ass vegtimes back in the day with proper 50/50 Sat/Ind hybrids that stretched accordingly though , rather couple weeks +/- to root lower limbs off of veg plants , and another couple weeks or so vegtime to "tits high" as Krusty taught us under 400 watt MH fixtures......then....

Pull the trigger 12/12 and watch em hit the ceiling before end of stretch , looking like thick limbed Xmas trees ....results were forearm sized limbs by end of cycle every run ....

I only had 1 strain to work with so I dialed that mex skunk bitch till I couldn`t squeeze another gram out of her , and that was a long time ago.....

Fast forward 20 yrs and PPK`s are pumpin out 3-4 lb`ers , but definitely longer vegtimes for the more indica dominant hybrids , but perpetual schedules once implemented , allow for faster turnarounds on Harvey so yearly crops don`t drop in numbers and keeps product rolling out the door consistently .....now...

As I spoke earlier in this thread about increased plant numbers also dictating yield with little to no vegtime Stoney Troutster , look at what Sureshot did with GG4 and 2 weeks veg in those beds with only 3 1-K`s over 2-4x8 tables....and really SS`s setup`s not technically a SOG setup , but a more uniform and filled in canopy is hard to find.....that said....

I`ll end this with a lil story bout a bastardized PPK I built to run 1 plant in the basement of my Lakehouse last summer after not growing for several yrs since retirement....

I threw some 10 yr old Chem DxSFV OG seeds in my compost pile at the farm on Memorial day weekend , and on July 4th I took the pick of the litter already trimmed out , pruned , and shaped , transplanted into the top tub and pulled the trigger....

I hung 4-600 eye horti`s on yo-yo`s in the corners of an almost 5' sq closet , set 1 down low , and 1 at top of plant to run for 1 week , then the opposite corner dropped down and blasted from the other side for a week , so on and so forth till end of stretch , all the while keeping the top bulb right at plants top.....long story short....

Being experienced with big plants and knowing how to clean out the innards and sucker branches to create dominant laterals and top colas , even though it was more bush than tree shaped , when all was said and done there was well over 3 lbs of top shelf dried and cured fire in 70 days from 12/12.....so....

That`s why I`ve never said never cuz all things are possible given time , experience , and knowledge...that said....
Keep an open mind guys....and...

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

Last edited:

Buddle

Veteran
Oh DHF..Alive and well with yet another great lesson. Lots of eager ears here. A much better audience for you then TCC I'm sure. Thx for sharing bro and yeah experience is a great teacher..peace

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
imho - its a silly subject to debate when no parameters are provided to box in the topic, the lack of specificity just induces arguments and doesn't allow the discussion to get elevated, maybe that was the issue for the OP at the other site.

3lbs from 1 400w CMH? 6lbs from 2 1K DE? 2 week veg time or 9 months? Clones or seeds? In each of our own minds we have a set of conditions and experiences from that specific condition set so we answer the question from any one of hundreds if not thousands of viewpoints/approaches. Some of those approaches will not yield 3lb per light, some will. But none of us share the same picture in our heads so it just leads to squabbling.

Second DHF, HL45 though, its been done. Check out PPK with DE lighting from good folks like Av8or and Delta9nxs.

fair warning, i'm a ppk fanboy so anything i say is honestly biased

LostTribe

Premium user
Yes, it can be done but it requires several things: long veg time, vertical, stacked lighting, and tall, high yielding strains, using Heath/Marlo's vertical scrog with wall trellises in a room with high ceilings, and hydro (Hempy buckets or DWC) I know, because I have done it, and really don't care if anyone believes it or not. I had 22 plants in a 5X9 room with 10 foot ceilings. 20 plants were vegged for 2 months (Critical Jack, a very high yielding strain that grows tall) and 2 Super Lemon Hazes that were vegged for 10 weeks, possibly a bit more. Lost track of exact veg time on those two, but plants looked as big as Xmas trees. One yielded a pound, and the other, just under a pound. The Critical Jacks all yielded over 8 oz each with 2 month veg. That's 10 pounds plus right there just for the Critical Jacks (Critical + X Jack Herer: Critical+ is Fruity pheno of Big Bud). Some of them were 10-12 ounces, smallest was 8 ounces. They were placed right against the walls all around the room, with vertical bulbs hanging in two columns in the middle. As branches moved outwards towards the lights, they were tied back to the wall. The two huge Super Lemon hazes that had extra veg time were standing in the middle of the floor with vert stacks on either side. Huge buds top to bottom. Fed with Maxibloom, Boost, and Bloombastic in flower. Buds were all flopping, so had to be tied with string, like they tie Xmas trees. Lights were within 6 inches of some plants. Anyone can do this, but it takes special strains, long veg, and vertical stacks. Also, were fed daily to run off, so had freshly oxygenated water all the time. They would suck the pots dry daily, and seemed to love that wet/dry/wet cycle.
For the doubters, grow some tall (at least 8 feet) Critical Jacks, and then talk to me. As far as I know, it's the highest yielding strain there is, although I haven't tried them all. Highest yielding I have seen. Virtually all the cubic footage in the room was used, and the Super Lemon Hazes had to be pulled out of the room daily in order to get to the other plants. They were on casters for that reason.
By the way, the object of this particular grow wasn't to set any records. Had broad mites in veg, so veg time had to be extended until the mites were eradicated, otherwise, I never would have vegged that long. The 2 SLH's were survivors from a previous run that were mostly destroyed by off gassing.
So, go ahead and flame away.

Forgot to mention, plants were grown from seed, not clone. Seeds give more vigorous growth by far, in my experience.

Agree with Vert, proper training and increased veg time in hydro its do able! You gotta have enough room though.

You boys down south of the border need to take a look at urban grower on the tube and check out the 100 flip grow if you doubt. Its basically a 1k hps krusty setup with big ebb drip or huge root masses. UG uses sunshine #4 and AN but I don't believe in AN myself, never have. The grows and info are nice for increasing your yields all around check it out.

I think we should base everything off of "per watt"

Some technologies (like the 315W CMH) will put out a ton of weight for the amount of watts they consume.

If you're talking per 1k watt light....on a horizontal trellis, with the proper genetics, thinning and training techniques, room conditions, nutrient profiles... you've done a good job at around 2lbs per 1k watt hps.

On a vertical setup you can push that even higher....but the point is, all of these variables (not one or a few) matter to maximum yields.

rykus

That's why the Dutch work in gram/watt/30 days to cover all the bases,even m2 when comparing varieties.... You can leave out any of those things but really those are the buissness margins when all is considered for actual cost/production numbers.

I think with legal study, breeding and new lighting and plant tech we will see higher gpw more consistently now.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
I think the biggest plant I ever grew yield wise was in a light supplemented green house with light dep in late season. that one went just shy of a pound but nothing was done to it other than good farm soil , peters 20/20/20 then 10/52/10 when the flowers showed.
Indoors, 6.5 oz vegged 3 months and flowered in a 24 plant room , 5 gallon sunshine4, 3 x 940 super ace hps and 2 x 1000MH , vertical , stacked 3 hps up , 2 mh down
I'd love to do the same lights 6 plants and veg em for 6 months and see what happens LOL if I did that tho I would probably set up that ppk system. I'm studying that hard

Bongstar420

Its hard to believe that one can pull 3 lbs of 20-30%THC per 1000w.

My reason for this is because in my state, where growers have to follow rules about pesticides and growth regulators that they cannot lie about, the average potency has declined over night and pricing is up for the good stuff. Last year, I saw less than 5 examples out of about 30 dispensaries with 10-15% THC. Now, most vendors have at least one offering in that range if not multiple. The 25-30% THC stuff was common and has now virtually disappeared (and might get a better wholesale, but isn't much more expensive on the shelf than before). Many think its the lab procedures though I pulled in the 20-30% range with the labs using the most accurate techniques (they were known for not posting huge numbers). I even tested my trim to vary from tops by 25% (trim being bottom flowers and sugar leaf). So, on the test, I pulled 25% THC flower and 20% THC trim.

With home grows at 4 plants, I am surprised so many growers think outs and greenhouse is acceptable to put on the shelf. In fact, I am surprised anyone is selling less than 18% since any commoner can harvest 14%. For CBD, its understandable. CBD is more energetically costly for the plant to synthesize and I have never even heard of pure CBD coming in at 25-30%....though my 12-14% CBD is literally my garbage runs with disease full cycle. 12% THC flower should be sold at cost or a loss.

I live in the only state that actually tests product in a meaningful way that stops growers from lying.