What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can 3 Pounds Per Light Be Achieved? Better Back It Up With Proof, Talk Is Cheap!

Can 3 Pounds Per Light Be Achieved? Better Back It Up With Proof, Talk Is Cheap!

• Total voters

shaggyballs

Veteran
I think this is just Internet myth!
If you can please vote in the poll

I posted this on a different site and it got locked in hours.
It was very peaceful, and was a start of a good debate!

The Reason sited was...The people pullin' 3 pound per light do not need to prove a thing to me,LOL And I feel they do not!
But lock the thread....WHY?.
I was ridiculed for even doubting the possibility.
So I now ask it here amongst brighter minds.
Thanks shag

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I think this is just Internet myth!

I posted this on a different site and it got locked in hours.
It was very peaceful and was a start of a good debate!

Reason sited was people pullin' 3 pound per light do not need to prove a thing to me, and they do not!
But lock the thread....WHY?.
So I now ask here amongst brighter minds.
Thanks shag

NOPE! It Cannot!

After being in the grow game a couple decades, worked at grow stores,done the warehouse thing, seen hundreds of grow rooms besides mine, I can without a doubt say that it is IMPOSSIBLE....

People will say different, what about Heath, what about Doubleleds, what about whatshisname that did this and that?

The thing is, they NEVER provide the proof....

RetroGrow

Veteran
Yes, it can be done but it requires several things: long veg time, vertical, stacked lighting, and tall, high yielding strains, using Heath/Marlo's vertical scrog with wall trellises in a room with high ceilings, and hydro (Hempy buckets or DWC) I know, because I have done it, and really don't care if anyone believes it or not. I had 22 plants in a 5X9 room with 10 foot ceilings. 20 plants were vegged for 2 months (Critical Jack, a very high yielding strain that grows tall) and 2 Super Lemon Hazes that were vegged for 10 weeks, possibly a bit more. Lost track of exact veg time on those two, but plants looked as big as Xmas trees. One yielded a pound, and the other, just under a pound. The Critical Jacks all yielded over 8 oz each with 2 month veg. That's 10 pounds plus right there just for the Critical Jacks (Critical + X Jack Herer: Critical+ is Fruity pheno of Big Bud). Some of them were 10-12 ounces, smallest was 8 ounces. They were placed right against the walls all around the room, with vertical bulbs hanging in two columns in the middle. As branches moved outwards towards the lights, they were tied back to the wall. The two huge Super Lemon hazes that had extra veg time were standing in the middle of the floor with vert stacks on either side. Huge buds top to bottom. Fed with Maxibloom, Boost, and Bloombastic in flower. Buds were all flopping, so had to be tied with string, like they tie Xmas trees. Lights were within 6 inches of some plants. Anyone can do this, but it takes special strains, long veg, and vertical stacks. Also, were fed daily to run off, so had freshly oxygenated water all the time. They would suck the pots dry daily, and seemed to love that wet/dry/wet cycle.
For the doubters, grow some tall (at least 8 feet) Critical Jacks, and then talk to me. As far as I know, it's the highest yielding strain there is, although I haven't tried them all. Highest yielding I have seen. Virtually all the cubic footage in the room was used, and the Super Lemon Hazes had to be pulled out of the room daily in order to get to the other plants. They were on casters for that reason.
By the way, the object of this particular grow wasn't to set any records. Had broad mites in veg, so veg time had to be extended until the mites were eradicated, otherwise, I never would have vegged that long. The 2 SLH's were survivors from a previous run that were mostly destroyed by off gassing.
So, go ahead and flame away.

Forgot to mention, plants were grown from seed, not clone. Seeds give more vigorous growth by far, in my experience.

HUGE

Veteran
A much better situation is 75-100 watts per Ft2 and 55-75 grams per Ft2

shaggyballs

Veteran
@RetroGrow
Thank you for the great information you have provided!
The biggest yields I had, needed long.........veg/Rooting time.....Roots=bud to me anyway.
So you method seems sound.
Vertical is a big yielder so I hear, but so many plants, I can only have 12.
Thanks again
shag

RetroGrow

Veteran
Vertical is a big yielder so I hear, but so many plants, I can only have 12.
Thanks again
shag

Ha, ha! I can only have zero.......
With 12, you'll have to veg them for 4 months or so, and have plenty of space...:biggrin:
By the way, here's the room, still under construction, with only the top bulbs in place. Lower bulbs were added directly below them as plants grew taller. Orange construction netting was covering all wall space, serving as wall trellises:

picture.php

These are the two Super Lemon Hazes, right before the flip. They reached that size in 2 gallon Hempys, but were transplanted right before that picture was taken into 5 gallon buckets, because they were always tipping over. You can see the outline of the two gallons on the top of the coco. They got a couple feet higher after the stretch. The other 20 stayed in 2 gallon buckets all the way. Sativas like to grow tall, so if you have the overhead, you can grow monsters, even in a narrow space. This will only work with vertical, bare bulbs, and long veg. Notice the stems are as thick as broomsticks:

picture.php

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
SoQuick logged a Colosseum grow w/ 600 clones. I believe he dubbed it the mother ship.

If I recall correctly he pulled 10 lbs from a vertical 3000w cage. Don't see any reason SoQuick would lie about his yields. He'd had already provided shit tons of picture of torso structured "cola" plants in which he clearly demonstrated he had his shit dialed! I believe it was some AK clone.

Anything is possible with either enough veg time or a shit load of plants.
Skill + being very familiar with your strain and desired method goes a long way.

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
Ha, ha! I can only have zero...//.Lol.I must live in the same State as You 😰.Damn State,lmao.I have been doing what we do since 94,and I've never seen that kind of grammage,But as Retro said,there are ways to get it done.But it takes a lot of work,effort and a dialed in room to achieve .And Biga$$ scary Monster Lady's that put out.. I Have had some Big ones before.I put alot of Work into them .....and Bat Shit too💩.I average around-26 oz's per 1000wtts.And might have done much better if I worked at it.No matter how you slice it,it's a feat that pretty much requires an expert to pull it off,and get it done,imo .Heres a pic of BoggleGum that was huge,and it's definitely a producer when Vegged out big.This pic is not the biggest BoggleGum I've ran.It gets much bigger.Peace and Stay Safe.,DancesWithWeed.🍀

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
SoQuick logged a Colosseum grow w/ 600 clones. I believe he dubbed it the mother ship.

If I recall correctly he pulled 10 lbs from a vertical 3000w cage. Don't see any reason SoQuick would lie about his yields. He'd had already provided shit tons of picture of torso structured "cola" plants in which he clearly demonstrated he had his shit dialed! I believe it was some AK clone.

Skill + being very familiar with your strain and desired method goes a long way.
//I've seen what He does and its sick.He killed it when it comes to his kickass grows..Big Toke also had the sickest BigA$$ Harvests around pretty much .Lot's of Expert growers here at IC.So if there's anyway to get those kind of numbers it would be someone here that got it done..SQ and BT, were both always on their Game.Peace and Stay Safe,DancesWithWeed ..

Last edited:
pullin' 3 pound per light

I don't believe 99% of these claims either, but it is possible, especially if you make a special light.
What you need for 3 pounds of bud is also about 3 pounds of dry root weight.
IOW a massive amount of soil or whatever medium you use.
How much you pull per light depends most of all on that.

It would be interesting to find out how much everybody pulls per 1 liter soil, I bet the results would be surprising.

blastfrompast

Veteran
I've seen it done with juicyfruit.... Can't say I wanted to smoke the finished product tho... Strain choice,long veg times, new bulbs, seemed to make the difference. Strain being key.

He topped the shit outta them while vegging, then defoiliated and double screened them.... Very labor intensive, and I'm surprised he didn't get mold near the end.

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Yes, it can be done but it requires several things: long veg time
See... that right there is the kicker.

Between a stupid long veg time and getting sub-par bud from areas not getting enough light, I believe the real answer is "Who Cares?" I'm in the "Yeah, but you most likely wouldn't want to smoke it" department and doubt it'd be "All That" for processing either.

Get what I mean?

RetroGrow

Veteran
Get what I mean?

Yeah, I get what you mean. You are trolling and have no idea what you are babbling about. Using stacked vertical bare bulbs, every part of the plant, from top to bottom, gets full blast light. There are no undeveloped areas, and all bud, even from the bottom of the plants, was primo. In fact, you could not tell the difference between the bottoms and the tops, because everything is a top when you have light at the bottom. You should withhold your comments when you have no experience in this area.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I don't believe 99% of these claims either, but it is possible, especially if you make a special light.
What you need for 3 pounds of bud is also about 3 pounds of dry root weight.
IOW a massive amount of soil or whatever medium you use.
How much you pull per light depends most of all on that.

It would be interesting to find out how much everybody pulls per 1 liter soil, I bet the results would be surprising.

This cannot be done with soil. It would have to be hydro or aero.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
20 plants were vegged for 2 months (Critical Jack, a very high yielding strain that grows tall) and 2 Super Lemon Hazes that were vegged for 10 weeks, possibly a bit more. Lost track of exact veg time on those two, but plants looked as big as Xmas trees.

Well ok, you can do it with months of veg time...

By the time your just flowering, im harvesting. And if I play my clones right, 2 harvests by the time your harvest once...

You may of got the 3 lbs per light, but I nearly doubled your yield in the same time frame...

growteam

I can't find a link to his Colosseum grow. Do you have a link?

I have never seen anyone with proof show a grow that came anywhere close to 3lb per 1000watt light. But I would love to.

Latest posts

Latest posts