What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can 3 Pounds Per Light Be Achieved? Better Back It Up With Proof, Talk Is Cheap!

Can 3 Pounds Per Light Be Achieved? Better Back It Up With Proof, Talk Is Cheap!

• Total voters

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Hey,

I can't seem to locate it at the moment. Here are his other threads.

IC is Boring as Shit!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=7366

This is one of his Cage shows, but it appears to go unfinished and he talks about a different wattage configuration then I remembered with a mixture of both 600w and 1000w.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=8864

I'm almost positive there were others where he finishes and states yield. I believe it was out of a 3000w stack (no 600w lamps at all). Perhaps that was on Overgrow before it went down. Not sure.. it's been so long. I'll try to dig around a little.

Either way.. it wouldn't be proof per se. Just another guy showing his garden and stating what he got. It's hard to tell what people consider "done". I've seen plenty of friends off less then dry work. I wouldn't consider it accurate yield, but then again they were dealing with folks who obviously didn't care and were getting rid of it. It was a factual number in their book.

For shits and giggles here are some of his famous shots. I believe he was around 2lb per light on these flat gardens. I personally don't doubt that So Quick got what he claimed when wrapping plants around some bulbs for a 360 degree canopy.

949IMG_1096.JPG

949IMG_1098.JPG

949IMG_1099.JPG

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Yeah, I get what you mean. You are trolling and have no idea what you are babbling about. Using stacked vertical bare bulbs, every part of the plant, from top to bottom, gets full blast light. There are no undeveloped areas, and all bud, even from the bottom of the plants, was primo. In fact, you could not tell the difference between the bottoms and the tops, because everything is a top when you have light at the bottom. You should withhold your comments when you have no experience in this area.

Really? You're missing the fact that if you want to pull 3lbs you're going to have to increase your trellis size (which means more veg time) and *OH!* get not quite optimal bud.

Nobody is pulling 3lbs of just primo bud off a 1k light with today's equipment.

Go piss on someone else's leg and tell them it's raining. :tiphat:

Well ok, you can do it with months of veg time...

By the time your just flowering, im harvesting. And if I play my clones right, 2 harvests by the time your harvest once...

You may of got the 3 lbs per light, but I nearly doubled your yield in the same time frame...
Exactly.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Well ok, you can do it with months of veg time...

By the time your just flowering, im harvesting. And if I play my clones right, 2 harvests by the time your harvest once...

You may of got the 3 lbs per light, but I nearly doubled your yield in the same time frame...

Not a competition. Just saying it's possible. And it only happened by accident due to delayed flowering because of broad mites. BUT, I now know it can be duplicated, and 12-13 pounds out of 45 square feet is pretty good, no matter how long the veg time. Will not work with bushes or Indicas, only with sativas in such a tight space. Using their cubic feet is not something everyone does, and I think it's a part of growing that's wrongfully ignored. Won't work with tables or hoods, only with high ceilings and tall sativas. I believe it would work with Super Silver Haze in that room, but then you are talking long flower times. Many peeps don't realize how big sativas can get if you have the overhead. Jack Herer is a great strain, but it takes 14 weeks to flower. Cross it with Critical +, and you get a 10 week strain that is very much like Jack Herer, but finishes in 10 weeks. Super vigorous from seed. I'm aware that most people don't want to veg for 2 months or more, but that's what it takes to get 3 pounds per light. By the way, the bottom lights in the stack were only 400s, metal halide. With 600s or 1000s on the bottom, I could have done better. If you're stuck with a narrow space, as I was, you can't beat this system.
Also, I don't think you can double that yield in the same size space, ie., 45 square feet, with a shorter veg time, for example one month, which is how most growers roll. You are used to bigger rooms, and you can get nice yields with scrogs. Well, this is just a vertical scrog really, in a very small space, floor to ceiling. It was just over 2 GPW. Also, you are dealing with clones, and I'm guessing you are not including the time that it takes for the clones to develop. Correct me if I'm wrong. So that would really add another two weeks to the veg time if you counted the cloning time. Not everyone lives in Cali and has access to unlimited clones.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
If it's possible with extended veg time.. then it's possible.

The poll says 3lbs per light. There are plenty of newbies in the industry popping up in these limited plant count med states that are damn there with 1 plant per 1k Gavita. A lot of veg.. yes, but it fits their mandated plant counts and stipulations.

We get into arguing overall efficiency of one's garden this is going to end up a really long ass thread.

GPW?
per time spent alive
per square footage
per whatever.

I agree these are all important factors considering the scope of one's goals... but to argue and debate about it is silly.

Is 3lbs per light possible. Absolutely in my opinion. Is the guy getting 3lb per light doing "better" then someone else getting less in a faster turnaround. Not necessarily at all. One can only compete with themselves and their personal best.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Go piss on someone else's leg and tell them it's raining.
I tried to give away my information and sell it cheap. Most everyone laughed and gave me crap. *shrug* I'll just keep the info to myself, thanks.
I'm not an asshole, but I sure play one on icmag

Actually, I'd rather piss on your leg, since, as your sig line suggests, you like to "play" an asshole on ICMag, because you really are an asshole. Please, keep your "secret" information to yourself, in your secret, self obsessed world. I always thought this site was about sharing and learning, but apparently, you are incapable of either. As far as "selling" your secret information cheap, well, that's just too funny! Now, carry on trolling, and thanks for the laugh. *shrug* :moon:

RetroGrow

Veteran
If it's possible with extended veg time.. then it's possible.

The poll says 3lbs per light. There are plenty of newbies in the industry popping up in these limited plant count med states that are damn there with 1 plant per 1k Gavita. A lot of veg.. yes, but it fits their mandated plant counts and stipulations.

We get into arguing overall efficiency of one's garden this is going to end up a really long ass thread.

GPW?
per time spent alive
per square footage
per whatever.

I agree these are all important factors considering the scope of one's goals... but to argue and debate about it is silly.

Is 3lbs per light possible. Absolutely in my opinion. Is the guy getting 3lb per light doing "better" then someone else getting less in a faster turnaround. Not necessarily at all. One can only compete with themselves and their personal best.

Agreed. Not swinging dicks here. Just relating an experience, which wasn't really planned with any goal in mind.

TheOutlawTree

heres one of my idols.. AeroKrafter's attempt at 5 lbs per 1k. Huge inspiration he is. I believe he's on a light mover...been a while..

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=237140

because of that thread I now own a pack of Galactic Grape. I may fully copy his method as well since its soooo well documented.

~mr. gt

He mentions in that thread he found a strain that produces quality medicine along with yield but those buds appear to be low quality/ lacking major potency. Not being a hater, just an observation.

Snype

Veteran
I'm not sure why some people think that 3 pounds per light is not achievable. I haven't personally done it but of course it can be done. If you didn't think it was possible, you may limit what you can learn. If I'm getting over 2 pounds in RDWC with some of the strains that I'm working with, I know there's other strains that can yield more. That doesn't mean that you need months of veg either. I like the idea of really packing in plants and using more space than a 4x4'. Maybe like a 5'-6' space with a Gavita. Third Coast on here says he gets 2 pounds with his Gavita on the 600 watt setting. I got close to 2 pounds on the 600 watt setting in one of my tents with a Lumatek. I'm not sure why certain people like to argue all day. We are here to share and learn from each other.

This cannot be done with soil. It would have to be hydro or aero.

It has to be done with soil, because that is what I grow in.

Weird how most people aren't interested in how to achieve that, but only in a stupid theoretical debate.
IT IS POSSIBLE /end thread. The next thread should be about how.
I feel sad for those who think it is not at all possible and will never have a decent result in their live.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I cannot attest to vertical but 3lbs is alot of biomass in a small horizontal footprint, not impossible but alot.

I do believe most "elites" have a gram per watt potential and many have 2.5 if not 3 lb per light potential if you have all the right inputs. I think we have to add the narrative desirable strains.

Yield can be manipulated by technique but is ultimately dictated by genetics.

Back in 2001-02 a friend and I did just under 6 (5 3/4) on with aeroponics using movers and gas and this strain (but not this specific cut)
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

fwiw the plant pictured was grown in peat, ewc perilite and EJ, aka completely organic.

It was a first run and only 3/4 of the plants were this strain. The others were of another strain that did not perform nearly as well, but had superior medicinal qualities (both were high quality demanding similar market appreciation). However not that specific cut. This cat was my friend, student and partner at the time (RIP), he used to post to OG (circa 2001 ish). It is not beyond the realm of possibility he posted the shows on og
picture.php

long story short, I culled the strain that yielded close to 3 per light in that system, frankly because it tasted like tobacco, my criteria was focused on differing qualities than that of my partner. The strain I wanted to focus on yielded less than 2 lbs per light in the same system and needed topping and lst to perform adequately. Needless to say the tension from that decision basically ruined our friendship. He had one vision, I had another.

That said since I have been here (08ish) and started growing many of the "common elites". That being said I believe most "elites" have a gram per watt potential and many have 2.5 - 3 lb per light potential if you have all the right inputs.

Your plants will only grow as fast as the slowest input in your system.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
many people dont think that small scale growers are entitled to opinions on big lights :)

1.36 grams per watt is what we're talking about, thats a high yield, but i have achieved that and above on many occasions with horizontal modular scrogs in organic soil, you just need good soil and to make sure there are no gaps in the canopy.

ive even managed 1.2 gpw with pre-98 bubba kush, a cut many people drop for its low yeilds. get to know your strains/cuts and you will get the best out of them if you are prepared to make sure that no light is wasted.

VG

jd4083

Veteran
The rule of thumb when reading about yields on icmag (and other cannabis forums) is the same as the rule of thumb when a man tells you how many women he has slept with -- take the number and divide by three for the accurate count.

If there was some way to film a grow from start to finish with no cut-takes or editing, objectively shot by a third party, and then processed and weighed by that same objective third party, all culminating in a 3lb pile of herb on a table...okay. Otherwise, I'll go with my normal opinion, which is that 99% of you guys are full of shit from A to Z and just want to be the big man on campus...on an internet forum. Not calling out anybody in particular, but big claims require big proof, and I have NEVER seen anything close to that sort of evidence posted on this or any other site.

If there was some way to film a grow from start to finish with no cut-takes or editing, objectively shot by a third party, and then processed and weighed by that same objective third party, all culminating in a 3lb pile of herb on a table...okay.

That pretty much sums up the idea I just worked out plus some more details like the wattage needs to be checked too. It would be 1lb for 320W with 5 low yielding plants.
Sam could help organise it all if he fancies some action, he lives 30 minutes from here.

It would be very valuable to show that, especially since I am not a good grower at all, I do 90% wrong and 10% right. If I can get 1.4 gpw so can everybody, but first of all you need to know it's possible.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Oh sure three pounds a light is possible, but to get quality not hay, the devil is in the details. I knew a guy that grew White Russian, called it the lotto cut. He would pull MASSIVE yields using GH and ebb n gro system. It was good for sure but wasn't grade A.
Genetics is the first place to start, find a strain and dial it. Then choose a style of growing, vert, sog, aero, etc and start vegging. Keep vegging lol.

The other key will be environment. It has to be perfect ALL the time, and the water, soil, nutes all high quality and dialed. Then it comes down to growing. May take many runs to find that large yielding pheno that preforms well in your environment. Some strains do better with different styles of growing. Example, PPP yields like mad in hydro with nice flavor and potent high, in soil its bland and average yielding.
Like anything else of course it is possible, just do you have the talent, discipline, resources, and patience to make it happen?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
at the end of the day though, if you are the doubting type, nothing that you could post on an internet forum would be conclusive proof.

It's easy to get 3 pounds of wet, poorly trimmed, extra stemmy, bush mastered, phospholoaded, hairy, no frost, bud/larf mixture. Three pounds of quality might come out in 1 of every 20,000 grows. Genetics, environment, veg time and lots of trellising. I'm sure it can be done, just wouldn't be practical for a commercial grow.