What's new

bobblehead overtakes

RM - aquagrower

Are roots going to choke this design out?

Never seen 4" shower drains, but I used 2" pvc shower drains in my old aqua system. And yes, would sometimes get root clogged (and flood the room) late in flower. Only with pretty big girls.

Pics of the system towards the end of my "old gallery".

bobblehead

Veteran
Never seen 4" shower drains, but I used 2" pvc shower drains in my old aqua system. And yes, would sometimes get root clogged (and flood the room) late in flower. Only with pretty big girls.

Pics of the system towards the end of my "old gallery".

you're correct. the pipe is actually 2"... uniseals it is! lol... but really. I'm serious about a 4" uniseal E&F tree grow. Doing it.
8145P3290317.JPG

Last edited:

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
A wick is what makes it superior?

Just set your drains in your e&f so it leaves an inch or two of water....

Exactly! The wick makes it superior.:woohoo:

An inch or two of water in the buckets?

That would kill a plant in a ppk, not sure about ebb and flow.

Its all about the mediums capillary action that the wick utilizes. It keeps the medium moist but not wet. The media has porosity, its full of air. Air has oxygen for the roots, much more oxygen than any nutrient solution could dream of containing. This is why we dont worry about air stones in the ppk.

Just think about hanging a paper towel in a glass half full of water. The water can only "climb" up the paper towel so far. The more full the cup is the higher the water will climb. A couple inches of water in a cup with out a paper towel to climb up will just sit there, and not have really low oxygen level.... the roots will drown.

If there is not enough air gap the media will wick to much and drown the plants. If there is too much it will be too dry between "pulses/feeds/flows" and the plant will not grow as fast. I have witnessed both first hand.

The wick keeps the proper medium (porosity) in an ideal condition for the roots. Coco has much lower porosity than pumice, or turface..

Peep my avatar...thats the bottom of a ppk with a media wick for a "nose".

The ppk is a great system, as long as its set up correctly, it will grow healthy plants rapidly.
I have lost plants in the ppk, but it was due to user error (improper air gap & unplugged pump) not the system itself.

HTH

HL45

bobblehead

Veteran
Happy to have you here helping hl45. I'm gonna get some straw DD in veg for this tree room. I should be able to do a row of ppk's and a row E&F. I have a lot on my plate right now, so I'm just going with the flow... But it'll all come together sooner than later.

Bonzo

Veteran
WHAT IS IT BOBBLE!? LOOKIN' AWESOME!:woohoo:

....and thank you bobble...that means alot comin' from you :)

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Happy to have you here helping hl45. I'm gonna get some straw DD in veg for this tree room. I should be able to do a row of ppk's and a row E&F. I have a lot on my plate right now, so I'm just going with the flow... But it'll all come together sooner than later.
:tiphat:

I know what you mean, sometimes going with the flow means I dont land at my intended destination, but thats ok. i had to bail on class (intended destination) once because a pump broke(flow)..

Im not trying to knock ebb and flow, just sharing my views. Im having fun, but also overwhelmed with my table.

I half a full portion of ppk, a side plate of soil scrog, another serving of og smart pot trees, plus some dinner ROLS in the oven, couple classes for dessert, one class I just not sure I can swallow atm, and more coming out of the kitchen as we speak.

Im utilizing several methods of cultivation. They all work great. The ppk takes the least amount of time with out a doubt.

Once your dialed, all you have to do is dillute jacks. The thing about the ppk is that it is an evolving open source system. :artist:For me atm its all about porosity, media wick, perched water table, and pulse/flood. Its right up your alley, your smart, inventive and clever. Come play with PPK with us, theres plenty of room in the sandbox, you can even have the Tonka dump truck.

MIway

Veteran
Hey there bobble, hope all is well man!

So ur takimg summer off to gall balls out on a hydro gig/experiment? Dude, what ever happened to lets make this as hard as possible? not that like hydro wont double the yields and test scores and all. Shit man, bump one good crop after a second after a third after a fourth... Why mess with what is starting to work? Oh yeah, to make it as tough as possible... Why have a dependable truck when u can havr a ferrari? In the shop... I dont get it man.

A challenge? Well, not like u dont have school and a remodel project to worry about... might as well as try every method know to man while reinventing the wheel on that good old dependable truck, that aint broken...?

if everyone else is a fan, il play the contrarian because i care.

Species8472

A little side note concerning the topic of Co2:

Over here in good ol' germany, CHPs (Combined Heat and Power Units) are getting more and more popular - mainly b/c of our Energiewende, but thats a whole different story.

Whats interesting about CHPs is this: They generate electricity by burning natural gas, and they do so at a relatively low cost. I don't know what the electricity providers in the US charge, but over here it's about 1/5 of the price per kilowatthour if you have a CHP.. On top, you get the heating for your house for free. Plus, burning natural gas creates Co2, which can actually be used for Co2-Fertilization. I've recently read about plant nurserys that have invested in CHPs for all the reasons.

Talking of investment, that's the real downside: You can cut your costs on electricity, heating and Co2 big time with those things, but they are rather expensive to buy.

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Those things are fucking sweet!!!! I really could have used one this last winter!!! Now i have a new toy for the wishlist.

bobblehead

Veteran
Hey there bobble, hope all is well man!

So ur takimg summer off to gall balls out on a hydro gig/experiment? Dude, what ever happened to lets make this as hard as possible? not that like hydro wont double the yields and test scores and all. Shit man, bump one good crop after a second after a third after a fourth... Why mess with what is starting to work? Oh yeah, to make it as tough as possible... Why have a dependable truck when u can havr a ferrari? In the shop... I dont get it man.

A challenge? Well, not like u dont have school and a remodel project to worry about... might as well as try every method know to man while reinventing the wheel on that good old dependable truck, that aint broken...?

if everyone else is a fan, il play the contrarian because i care.

Ouch... I hate it when you're right... I should keep the experiments with the 4 plants I have designated for experiments... Thanks for the good advice.

Femora

im at the phone right now.. Maybe that my research is a bit limited... But i cant find em on ebay~.
Where can I get one of those?!? :D

Fem~

A little side note concerning the topic of Co2:

Over here in good ol' germany, CHPs (Combined Heat and Power Units) are getting more and more popular - mainly b/c of our Energiewende, but thats a whole different story.

Whats interesting about CHPs is this: They generate electricity by burning natural gas, and they do so at a relatively low cost. I don't know what the electricity providers in the US charge, but over here it's about 1/5 of the price per kilowatthour if you have a CHP.. On top, you get the heating for your house for free. Plus, burning natural gas creates Co2, which can actually be used for Co2-Fertilization. I've recently read about plant nurserys that have invested in CHPs for all the reasons.

Talking of investment, that's the real downside: You can cut your costs on electricity, heating and Co2 big time with those things, but they are rather expensive to buy.

bobblehead

Veteran
I'm leaving the lake house right now... So fucking pissed. No pics this week. I didn't think about it because I was too busy figuring out why I don't have any electricity. I pay my bill in full on time every month. Check. No shutoff notice. Check. Breakers are good. Check. No branches on the line. Check. The meter isn't spinning. Fuck. It looks like the power has been out. A few days imo. I called the power company, and they have no reported outages, but my house could be on its own line. I think it is.

This just reaffirms my decision to shut that house down. Its ungrowable. Hopefully I can salvage what I have going on. Between the heat stress from last week and the power outage this week, I've had it. I'm gonna make a youtube video: bobblehead drops a match on the lake house. Lol

The good news is that a new 200A panel was installed in my other house today. Game time.

MIway is right. I got carried away with all the new changes and forgot that I've been arguing about how great peat tables are... Why would I walk away from them now? Lol. I have plants designated for experimental grows. The majority need to be grown in what's worked best for me so far.

Last edited:

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I understand your frustrations. Was growing in a big rental on several acres. Beautiful home, but loaded with problems from years of neglect.

I had something similar happen to me and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Oddly.. I come home and had power in some areas, no power in some rooms, and partial power in some places (ex. stove clock would work, but not burners).

I took a multi-meter to the main legs coming into the house and they both read 120v however directly after the main 100a breaker I was getting 120v on one leg and only ~90v out of the other.

Turned out I had a failing main breaker that had corrosion on/in it. I was mid grow so there was little I could do but tear down however I was able to turn ON/OFF the main several times, rapidly back & forth, and it must have cleaned things up enough for me to finish the grow and find a new rental.

sucks.. the effort ( and commuting time!) you put forth only to have it all fuck up on your outside of your control.

I agree with ya.. shut down the problem locate and focus your efforts elsewhere.

RM - aquagrower

Sorry to hear of the problems.

Around here, when the power is shut off for non-payment (or some other reason), they put a red tag on the meter.

Does indeed sound like a problem with the main panel. Sometimes with older homes, the sealent at the main line, thru the siding/sheeting will open up allowing rainwater to follow down the cable, right into the box. Fucks up all kind of stuff.

bobblehead

Veteran
Damnit! Wouldn't ya know it. The garage has been leaking, and that's where the main panel is... Its enclosed like in its own closet, but if water was leaking down the cable... I'm fucked. I hope that's not it. If it is, I'm just going to cull everything and pull my equipment when I go back Monday. I'm so done with that place!

Femora

I sorry things turned out this way... :comfort:

I hope, and know, youll make comeback!
Keep your head up, within time you'll feel better. :huggg:

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Sorry to hear of the problems.

Around here, when the power is shut off for non-payment (or some other reason), they put a red tag on the meter.

Does indeed sound like a problem with the main panel. Sometimes with older homes, the sealent at the main line, thru the siding/sheeting will open up allowing rainwater to follow down the cable, right into the box. Fucks up all kind of stuff.

This is exactly the culprit of the issues I spoke about in my post prior.

Most of the times the panel was dry and I couldn't figure out where all the corrosion was from, until I went down there during a heavy storm.

Holy shit.. water coming in and trickling down every single one of the breakers and then flowing out of the bottom of the panel. Amazing it was all still working and not shorting/burning the place down.

/

When I 1st was having issues I called the power company to see if they were having issues in the area. Nothing was reported so I told the customer service representative that it must have been on my end and that I'd further investigate. She said nothing of sending someone out, but no later then 20min I had a big ol' bucket truck in my driveway (mind you my scrubber is out). The guy pulled the meter and checked there and stated it was a'ok on their end.. gotta be something in the house. He then offered to come in and check things out.. and I had to make up some BS that it was a divided house with double units and I only had access to one half of the house. <- this was after I already claimed to had checked all the breakers in the basement so I'm sure he knew I was full of shit, but he just remained polite and gave me a few things to try once I did gain access.

I determined it to be the main and was about to order a new one when a buddy told me to try flipping the main on/off a lot. Luckily it worked as a temporary fix and I finished the crop and vacated.

Kinda regret it now.. it was a massive house with 2-meters. 2 staircases up and 2 down to the basement. Would be very easy to make an area of the house totally disappear should I have somehow bought the property, but without so it was a similar situation to bobbles. A beat up ol' house with a bunch of problems no suitable for consecutive croppage..and I certainly wasn't trying to put more $$ into something that wasn't even mine.

bobblehead

Veteran
I sorry things turned out this way... :comfort:

I hope, and know, youll make comeback!
Keep your head up, within time you'll feel better. :huggg:

I will feel better after I pull my equipment and lock the place up. If I lose the plants I will be disappointed no doubt, but I have been waiting with anticipation to end this grow and this thread. Sorry to my loyal followers and friends, but you know there will be a new thread. Each one bigger and badder than the one before it.

This is exactly the culprit of the issues I spoke about in my post prior.

Most of the times the panel was dry and I couldn't figure out where all the corrosion was from, until I went down there during a heavy storm.

Holy shit.. water coming in and trickling down every single one of the breakers and then flowing out of the bottom of the panel. Amazing it was all still working and not shorting/burning the place down.

/

When I 1st was having issues I called the power company to see if they were having issues in the area. Nothing was reported so I told the customer service representative that it must have been on my end and that I'd further investigate. She said nothing of sending someone out, but no later then 20min I had a big ol' bucket truck in my driveway (mind you my scrubber is out). The guy pulled the meter and checked there and stated it was a'ok on their end.. gotta be something in the house. He then offered to come in and check things out.. and I had to make up some BS that it was a divided house with double units and I only had access to one half of the house. <- this was after I already claimed to had checked all the breakers in the basement so I'm sure he knew I was full of shit, but he just remained polite and gave me a few things to try once I did gain access.

I determined it to be the main and was about to order a new one when a buddy told me to try flipping the main on/off a lot. Luckily it worked as a temporary fix and I finished the crop and vacated.

Kinda regret it now.. it was a massive house with 2-meters. 2 staircases up and 2 down to the basement. Would be very easy to make an area of the house totally disappear should I have somehow bought the property, but without so it was a similar situation to bobbles. A beat up ol' house with a bunch of problems no suitable for consecutive croppage..and I certainly wasn't trying to put more $$ into something that wasn't even mine.

Yeah, this house isn't worth anymore investment. Struggling to string along 2 more crops isn't gonna happen. I'll cut my losses and focus on the new grow. I need time to build it. 200A is a lot bigger than the original 100A panel. :D. Not that my basement is even big enough but I could get another split and run another room on that panel! I've been here since August, and power hasn't gone out more than a few hours. My water is so good I use tap and don't have to make any pH adjustments. I have a stealth space for my compressor, nobody will even know its there.

might be the breaker on the transformer if you are pulling lots of juice.

No I'm only drawing on avg 6.5k 24/7. Only. Lol... Shouldn't be a problem for a 150A panel.

You won't do it pussy. :nanana:

Drop the match or make the video? Lol... I should make a video leading up to the event... Create a thread for it, promising a follow up vid a week later... And then you'll see!

My fool tubes came in today... Lol. Idk what I'm gonna do with these now... Maybe use them for the veg room. I sure hope my lake house isn't broken... Fml... Talk about some bullshit.

Latest posts

Latest posts