What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bobblehead overtakes

BldSwtTrs

Bobs fwiw I am getting a much much better gpw on my 1k tables than my 600w tables. Much much better. Don't really know what to attribute it to, but just thought you should know.

bobblehead

Veteran
Yeh right 12 days of trimming. I think that is a lie your way to adhd.

lol you may have a point. I'll probably be trimming for a month...

Bobs fwiw I am getting a much much better gpw on my 1k tables than my 600w tables. Much much better. Don't really know what to attribute it to, but just thought you should know.

Can you tell me more about the ballasts and lamps you're using? Also the dimensions of your tables? 4'x8'? Its not too late to make changes. I was thinking about running my 600's until I can afford gavitas...

I could easily run 3 4'x8' tables turned width-wise in the same space, 8kw vs. 7.2kw. I have enough ac.

BldSwtTrs

Tables are just 4x8 standard 6" deep. I use 9 bags of canna coco per table.

Ballasts are the cheapest I can find. Been using iPower off of ebay which cost like 125 or something. Bulbs have used everything from hortilix, digilux, to the cheapest 25 dollar plant max bulbs i can find. Have actually had the best results with the 25 dollar plant max bulbs so i don't think it really matters.

everything looks so much healthier, sturdier, lusher, just more robust under the 1ks. Plus you will REALLY notice that the outer edges/corners of the 1ks come in MUCH better than the 600 tables.

before i switched to 1ks i did a lot of math to figure out which is a better use of space, plant count, nutes, coco, building materials and found 1ks win hands down.

have ran 600s over 3x6 and 4x8 and ran 1000s over 4x8 and the 1ks crushed everything and using way less resources (everything other than wattage) so i switched. just my .02 cents.

MIway

Veteran
U still trimming??? Lol, still got a tub or two once u get some free time. ;-)

Shit dude, just build it all out for 1k's but run the 6's until u reup on gear... All the work gets done once and the ballast swap is easy. I'd say fuck it for a run and just spread the 6's over a 4x4 area and run a bunch of small single cola plants with the taller varieties on the perimeter. At worst, the distribution of the bag won't be ideal... But the work only needs to be done once :)

bobblehead

Veteran
Tables are just 4x8 standard 6" deep. I use 9 bags of canna coco per table.

Ballasts are the cheapest I can find. Been using iPower off of ebay which cost like 125 or something. Bulbs have used everything from hortilix, digilux, to the cheapest 25 dollar plant max bulbs i can find. Have actually had the best results with the 25 dollar plant max bulbs so i don't think it really matters.

everything looks so much healthier, sturdier, lusher, just more robust under the 1ks. Plus you will REALLY notice that the outer edges/corners of the 1ks come in MUCH better than the 600 tables.

before i switched to 1ks i did a lot of math to figure out which is a better use of space, plant count, nutes, coco, building materials and found 1ks win hands down.

have ran 600s over 3x6 and 4x8 and ran 1000s over 4x8 and the 1ks crushed everything and using way less resources (everything other than wattage) so i switched. just my .02 cents.

Nice. Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it.

U still trimming??? Lol, still got a tub or two once u get some free time. ;-)

Shit dude, just build it all out for 1k's but run the 6's until u reup on gear... All the work gets done once and the ballast swap is easy. I'd say fuck it for a run and just spread the 6's over a 4x4 area and run a bunch of small single cola plants with the taller varieties on the perimeter. At worst, the distribution of the bag won't be ideal... But the work only needs to be done once :)

Free time? What's that? lol... I always have to be busy with something.

I totally agree with you about building it out for 1k's, and using the 6's till I can afford the upgrade. I guess I wasn't thinking far enough ahead. The room will be ready before all of my 600's are available anyway.

With the tables on casters... I can push them a bit closer to each other if necessary for a better spread. Good thing I have a light meter. :D

bobblehead

Veteran
still trimming?

Yeah man I still have .5-1lb to trim... And I'm chopping more plants next week... And again like 2 weeks after that... And then 2 weeks after that. I had 6 rooms flowering. I'm winding them all down now.

No impressive gpw #'s... I'm averaging .5gpw, but given that I was only tending to each crop 1x a week, that's not too bad. I'm excited to consolidate and get everything flowering in 1 large room. Just gotta be careful not to introduce any pests... However there aren't many bugs I haven't had, so I'm prepared for just about anything! :)

How's the gh coming boss? We're all waiting for an update.

TheArchitect

Veteran
Fucking trimming, the bane of the growers of herb everywhere.

I just yesterday finished a 6 day straight grind of trimming. Idk if 6 days for 6 lights is good though. I did get 20 man hours of help too, prolly put in 40-50 myself.

Slept all day today.

Bonzo

Veteran
Lotta good info...im likin' the idea of these beds, i just didnt have the best luck with coco. I didnt find it to be as simple as most people say it is. I liked the Sunshine #4 better, any reason i couldnt run Sunshine?

Bobble have you covered how you feed your beds? Is there a set feeding system or most common system?

Lookin' forward to the new place.

:)

Mister_D

Veteran
B/c from what I've read... 600's cover a 3'x3' area horizontal.

Fail :moon: When is the last time you checked in on my thread? Or any of the gazillion 600w using horizontal grows on this site? The 3x3' coverage is a crock of shit started by god knows who. A 600 will easily cover 4x4' in single light setup, with overlap from neighboring lights 5x5'-6x6' area per light isn't out of the question, with enough lights and the right reflectors of course. More lights allow for more space between lights, provided the reflector allows for wide enough spread anyway. These are real world numbers, not some shit I pulled out of my ass. If I was going to do what you are planning i'd go 5' wide on the tables and extend them to 10' long with three 600's over each. do casters so the tables can normally be right next to each other, this way you take advantage of the overlapping light. If you think about it, setting up this way keeps all plants no more than 3.3ft from the nearest bulb. You want to seriously produce a GPW that will get you there in short order :biggrin:.

V

Veg N Out

I would put 4 6s over a 5x10, I actually know some cats that do that and theyre getting 4lbs from each one regularly. FWIW I have 2k over 4x8 beds and have pulled an average of 4.5 per bed...

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
And Jack uses 4k per 4x8 right? There are diminishing returns I am sure at some point though. As long as all available light is being absorbed by plants is what is key obviously :)

bobblehead

Veteran
Fail :moon: When is the last time you checked in on my thread? Or any of the gazillion 600w using horizontal grows on this site? The 3x3' coverage is a crock of shit started by god knows who. A 600 will easily cover 4x4' in single light setup, with overlap from neighboring lights 5x5'-6x6' area per light isn't out of the question, with enough lights and the right reflectors of course. More lights allow for more space between lights, provided the reflector allows for wide enough spread anyway. These are real world numbers, not some shit I pulled out of my ass. If I was going to do what you are planning i'd go 5' wide on the tables and extend them to 10' long with three 600's over each. do casters so the tables can normally be right next to each other, this way you take advantage of the overlapping light. If you think about it, setting up this way keeps all plants no more than 3.3ft from the nearest bulb. You want to seriously produce a GPW that will get you there in short order :biggrin:.

lol... Thanks. When was the last time you updated your thread? I just did a search... its been about 3 weeks. :moon:

I would put 4 6s over a 5x10, I actually know some cats that do that and theyre getting 4lbs from each one regularly. FWIW I have 2k over 4x8 beds and have pulled an average of 4.5 per bed...

Given the constraints of my space, I'll probably stick with 4'x8' beds, 3 -6's each, 2 1k's later. I would like to still have room to do my laundry.

bobblehead

Veteran
Fucking trimming, the bane of the growers of herb everywhere.

I just yesterday finished a 6 day straight grind of trimming. Idk if 6 days for 6 lights is good though. I did get 20 man hours of help too, prolly put in 40-50 myself.

Slept all day today.

Yeah man my buddy hooked me up with a reliable trimmer. That was a big help, cause I've trimmed a few lbs by myself over the past few weeks, and I'm sick of it. Having someone to talk to helps keep me moving faster.

Lotta good info...im likin' the idea of these beds, i just didnt have the best luck with coco. I didnt find it to be as simple as most people say it is. I liked the Sunshine #4 better, any reason i couldnt run Sunshine?

Bobble have you covered how you feed your beds? Is there a set feeding system or most common system?

Lookin' forward to the new place.

:)

Sunshine is peat... I'm running promix. Basically the same thing. Go with it. I'm having superior results with peat vs. coco. I really don't give a shit what anyone else says, the peer-reviewed literature says that coco can be as good as peat if you compensate for the high CEC. Why play around with cation issues? Other than environmental reasons that is... but then again drawing 10kw isn't exactly environmentally friendly either.

I built PVC manifolds that sit on top of my beds. I drilled several small holes all the way around. Battery powered solenoids control irrigation. I can take a pic for you next week.

For the new room... I don't think I'll be using reservoirs. SecondAttempt linked me to some inline fert dosers. I have real clean municipal water, so I should be able to hard plumb the fert caddies. I'm not ready to switch everything to organics yet... So I'll probably have a caddy for cal/nit, and a caddy for base ferts. Irrigation will still be controlled by battery powered solenoids. They haven't failed on me yet, and they have indicator lights for when the batteries get low. Anyway, with this method, I'll be able to apply cal/nit and base nutes separately, which seems to be highly recommended. I'm going to have separate lines for cal/nit, base nutes, and straight H2O, which will all tie into the manifolds with ball-valves. This way I can control each line separately. At least that's the idea.

Would anyone like to poke holes in this idea?
attachment.php

Attachments

• feed.jpg
    feed.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

catalyte

Veteran
Pro-Mix IS way more reliable than Coco 100%. Seems like Coco needs to the pre-treated and only a couple brands are clean... GH coco bricks are the worst!!

MrAwder

hey bobble

i havent been to active here lately but looking at making some changes to my setup. we are using the same battery powered solenoids i'm pretty sure. are you still gravity feeding to those or are they under pump pressure? i'm starting to think my 5 gal raised res is not really necessary and I should just hook the pump up straight to the solenoid. is this a bad idea? i know it probably depends on pump size... i believe mines around 350gph... not sure what the pressure would be.

bobblehead

Veteran
hey bobble

i havent been to active here lately but looking at making some changes to my setup. we are using the same battery powered solenoids i'm pretty sure. are you still gravity feeding to those or are they under pump pressure? i'm starting to think my 5 gal raised res is not really necessary and I should just hook the pump up straight to the solenoid. is this a bad idea? i know it probably depends on pump size... i believe mines around 350gph... not sure what the pressure would be.

Ok... Elevated reservoirs act as water-towers, providing constant water pressure and excess capacity. This is important to me at my remote grow because I have well water. If the power goes out, I don't have water. Plants have a circadian rhythm, so even if the lights don't come on, they draw up nute solution. What better way to piss your plants off than to take away both the lights and the feed!

My new spot has municipal water, so even when the power is out, I have water. The nute caddies I'm referring to operate on water pressure, kinda like the lawn sprays that attach to a garden hose. No electricity necessary.

Now for your question regarding pump + solenoid... I've considered using a pump with a res to constantly circulate nutrients through a loop. With the pump running 24/7, this would keep everything mixed up and the lines pressurized, with the solenoids controlling irrigation. Would it work? Yes. If you remove the elevated reservoir though, you're eliminating the benefit of having nute solution available in the event of a power outage.

bobblehead

Veteran
Final Update

The lake house is done. I thought I could salvage the last 2 crops, but they looked like shit. I can't do anything with sub-par meds here. The market has matured and people won't take anything that isn't top notch. It's not worth my time and money to let oz's go for $100 a piece. I'm in a good enough position now that I culled everything, and I'm just going to hash the last 2 crops. Good thing too, b/c my bubble guy has been slacking... hint hint... lol

Just in case you guys don't believe me....
picture.php

picture.php

That's it. Its done. I only have to make 1 more trip to get the rest of my equipment out. After that last trip I will have 7hs of my life back every week.

RM- these are for you. Moldy garage ceiling. After I cut the scrubbers, my lungs immediately started to tighten up and I even had a headache when I left. I'm certain I will have to raze this house.
picture.php

picture.php

bobblehead

Veteran
DHF- You and I have some issues that are probably never going to be resolved. It doesn't matter what I think or what others say, only you know the truth. Thanks for inspiring me to take this project on. For the most part your advice was solid. You have a standing offer to come up to medville and level with me. Whether or not you take me up on it is up to you. I know you never intentionally steered me wrong, and I'm burying the hatchet with this thread. I only wish the best for you and yours.

Everyone else- Thanks for coming along for the ride. I hope you learned some lessons with me; I learned a lot from you guys as well along the way. I need to take a break from keeping threads. This one has gone on for over 1.5 years now... The new room is well under way, and it'll be bumpin' in no time.

I didn't accomplish my goal of 2gpw... but the goal isn't what's important... not to mention you really can't compare weight with other growers in different markets with different tolerances for trimming and moisture levels. I've accomplished goals I never set out to achieve. Mostly learning what doesn't work... lol...

Anyway guys... I'll be around... Thanks again for watching.