What's new

Best vaporizers on the market today?

B

Baron Greenback

@Gizmo - I also had the Super Vapezilla for many years (when it was US built with quality parts) but finally broke it when it fell and broke the hose attachment glass bit. I then bought the Herbalizer (broke within 20 minutes, outside of the US so they refused to honour the warranty, left with a $1000 paperweight - anyone in the US interested in having it and getting it fixed, PM me :)) and finally moved onto the Volcano.
Should've just bought the fucking Volcano in the first place, best one I've had, the bag is nowhere near as annoying as I thought it might be - the only trouble is everything tastes so moreish and I just end up caning loads of weed and getting really lean all the time.

So what's the latest vape market situation?

I'm looking for an affordable portable vape for herbs, not concentrates.
So far I'm most impressed with reviews of Goboof Alfa and Vapium Summit, the price range is acceptable, I really wouldn't go over 200€(buying in EU).
Of course if money was no issue I'd get the S&B Mighty or the Pax2, maybe sometime in the future when(if) there will be new cheaper versions.

Anyone got experience with the latest portable vapes to make a fair comparison?
hey koondense,
i have tried some of the ones you mention...
as a portable, i have an Alfa. I too was interested in the summit, but still have not tried it...
i have a plenty at home and have tried the volcano, arizer extreme q, arizer solo, herbalaire, davinci ascent, iolite, davinci (the other one), the pax 2, the prima, the magic flight launch box, the twister, and many pens...
The Alfa is amazing: one of the best tasting vapes i ever tried. i chose it for it's really stealthy! great design, small, slick.
it's efficient, works well with very small amounts, produces thick clouds on mid temp setting (circa 180/190°C).
very easy to clean, batteries last longh enough (about 4-5 sessions) but take really long to recharge.
Alfa's main drawbacks are:
- it's not 100% reliable. sometimes batteries won't charge. it's kinda esoteric. :) sometimes it blinks a green light meaning it's warming up but it isn't, when it does this it means batteries are low (in which case the light should be orange). but in the end it works every time. (i read on FC other people had similar issues...)
- a non-existent customer service. i'm sorry to say this but they're really slow to answer if they do. when i had problems i wrote them, they replied they were gonna look into it but i never heard back... in the meantime the alfa started to work again... :)
- the external case (chassis) is not tightly closed to the body... there's is a small gap, but big enough for small pieces of material... a guy from FC even opened a reddit where he unmount the unit and found some material inside... so, i would be very uncomfortable to send my alfa to goobof for repair. i really hope they solve this issue
- batteries are built in. this is a major problem for a portable ( i realize this only now unfortunately...). these small vapes are actually really powerfull heat machines, they need quite some power, which means batteries are the first thing to fail... and in theory i should send Goobof my unit for a battery change... as i said that would not be ideal!

apart from these cons the alfa is great. thick supertasty vapor, efficient, really small, cool.
much better than a pax 2 IMO, and the pax is much more expensive!

in that price range i would strongly suggest a Solo or a Davinci Ascent.
solo is one of the most popular, and it works really well (a little too much resistance but apparently they fixed this issue).
the ascent is great! precise digital temp display, great design, glass airpath, fairly easy to clean. works with concentrates too with a special cartridge (included).
i think it tastes a lil' better than the solo and definetely has a better draw.
tastewise the alfa is still a little better for me, but gets a little hotter (being smaller).

another great portable i tried recently is the prima. tastes really well and maybe it produces the biggest clouds i have ever seen in a portable (never tried S&B portables...). really powerfull! battery are external removable and spares are easy to find. it also feels really solid and well made.

for cordless home use i'm thinking about getting an air, arizer's newer and improved portable... i'm kinda goofy and wouldn't trust myself to carry the vape and the separate glass straw around... :)

i don't know if it's just me but conduction vapes taste better and convection ones make me higher (i personally never been higher with marijuana than after a Plenty session... not with joints, pipes, or bongs... oil dabs are still stronger!)
I have the arizer air. Fucking. AMAZING. If you dont mind feeling like yer drinking a thick milkshake this thing is the cats pajamas. Fat rips. You can use it while its plugged in. You can get several betterys. Super easy to clean. did i mention fat rips? I hit this thing threw my bong and its incredible. Gets me just as baked as a bong rip. And i also save vaped bud for edibles and the edibles are great!! 5 temp settings. Top 4 are good. First one would take you 10 years to vape a full bowlXD you cant go wrong with the arizer air fosho!!

Much love
Lotus
i'm interested in the Air! how's the resistance? they should've improved it, i think the Solo was too resistant...

Last edited:
One of the best vaporizers I have tried is still de verdamper. Not really discrete, but good.
The Volcano works great as well, if you are ok with the bags and the noise it makes.
Aromed, great taste. More suited for aromatherapy than serious vapor intake.

Portables:
I have tried the S&B Crafty, which works great, as all products from S&B.
Slight plastic taste of the cooling unit in the first couple sessions.
Da Vinci and Da Vinci ascent work fine. The ascent has a great taste thanks to the glass airpath. Maybe not the most efficient or requires getting more used to it.
Vapman etc. depend alot on the user. From pure air to smoke you can inhale anything.

Last edited:

Obsidian

Veteran
I have had the Da Vinci Ascent for the last year now, and it's really a fucking great vapor. I had the reg da vinci for a year and liked it too. the digi controls allow you to control your puff sesh.
perfect price range to enter the vape scene.

I just don't like the oil drums the come with the da vinci, I would have made them without the hole in the bottom. my only con so far...

yes the Da Vinci takes a bit to understand, after that it's really one of the cleanest tastes, I've tried a few others in circles at shows, and none were as good as the Da Vinci.

but that's me you guys may get better mileage out of something else.

Koondense

Veteran
Thanks ZiggyStardust for the detailed reviews of your vaping experience with numerous vapes!

Time to buy one is coming close, so for now there are three "best" options in my mind.

Vapium Summit and Arizer Air, maybe the Ascent also.

I only tried the desktop unit Arizer Extreme Q several times and honestly I want a better vape, not sure though if the portable ones deliver better vapour compared to the ExQ. Also thinking of getting a desktop unit instead, the last thing I want is to get a portable vape and keep on smoking joints because of not so good vapour:)
Maybe Plenty or are the portables good enough?

Ollie

Veteran
Its a "learning" curve, but if You have the desire to change it will be an smooth transition.

You should be all set with a good portable, I would not want to deal with filling bags throughout the day.

In the Vapium summit price range, I would choose the Vapium or a Trippystix herbal.

If opting for the Arizer Air, I would save the last bit of $$ to get a Crafty, which is a top tier vaporizer as You know.

People also seems to be all over the new Grasshopper, its just shy of the Crafty price wise, but quality and function should be on point. It differentiates from the Crafty in simplicity of use, design, construction materials and size.

Thanks ZiggyStardust for the detailed reviews of your vaping experience with numerous vapes!

Time to buy one is coming close, so for now there are three "best" options in my mind.

Vapium Summit and Arizer Air, maybe the Ascent also.

I only tried the desktop unit Arizer Extreme Q several times and honestly I want a better vape, not sure though if the portable ones deliver better vapour compared to the ExQ. Also thinking of getting a desktop unit instead, the last thing I want is to get a portable vape and keep on smoking joints because of not so good vapour:)
Maybe Plenty or are the portables good enough?

Hey koondense,
I think you have to decide if you want a portable or a home desktop unit.
Would you like to vape on the go?
Or you always use ganja at home?
Are you after taste or high?
Do you want to transition from smoking to vaping?
Do you have access to a lot of ganja?

I can tell you my experience:
I wasn't after quitting smoking, it came natural as soon as i started vaping more, smoking begun to taste bad.
But it would have never happened if i didn't have a portable, cause i like to vape when i'm around! :)
In fact when i only had the plenty i was vaping and smoking, i think not enjoying either 100%...

These days, i think the Alfa tastes better, the plenty makes me way higher, but also the plenty use 3+ times as much ganja for a good session...

In that price range i think portables are a better choice... (real quality desktops are a lil more expensive, like the volcano or the cloud evo). You have to decide if you wanna go for something really stealthy (alfa, grasshopper, summit, prima), or if you'd like a nice glass airpath (ascent, solo, air...).
As Ollie says, every device needs to be learnt so expect a little time to get into it.
Grasshopper seems fantastic but if i understood correctly they have a kinda waiting list to get one...
Also some products are widely available in europe (where i live) others are released only in north america...

The alfa is nice and easy to use and fairly cheap.
As i told you, alfa, ascent or solo (i think they cost about the same). :)
If i had to compare the 3:
- Alfa is smaller, conduction, tastes great, uses little material. Batteries last ok but need a lot to recharge, easy to clean, batteries not user replaceable
- ascent is a lil bigger, glass airpath, fairly easy to clean. Tastes good, very precise temp selection, batteries last ok and take not so long to recharge, but are not user replaceable
- solo is convection (supposedly), glass airpath but with a separate straw, a lot of temp settings, tastes great, batteries are ok and user replaceable. A lil too much resistance for my taste but they should have improved this issue.

Hugs
ZS

Last edited:

Koondense

Veteran
Would you like to vape on the go?
Or you always use ganja at home?
Are you after taste or high?
Do you want to transition from smoking to vaping?
Do you have access to a lot of ganja?

Hi Ziggy,
1. vape on the go sounds great
2. I also use it at home sometimes, small amounts
3. I want taste AND high, trying to avoid such compromises
4. no transition needed, I'll still do both but try to minimize tobacco intake and burning in general. Lungs don't need that.
5. not a lot but enough to vape:)

Going thru some reviews it seems the Ascent is very similar to Arizer Air's performance, I'm after taste and high mostly. There's a video showing the Ascent has the best heater control of most portables, which means quite a lot.
Still indecided, I'll buy a vape in a couple of weeks so there's some time to think about it.
If there are some other good options please share them here.

Cheers

Hi Ziggy,
1. vape on the go sounds great
2. I also use it at home sometimes, small amounts
3. I want taste AND high, trying to avoid such compromises
4. no transition needed, I'll still do both but try to minimize tobacco intake and burning in general. Lungs don't need that.
5. not a lot but enough to vape:)

Going thru some reviews it seems the Ascent is very similar to Arizer Air's performance, I'm after taste and high mostly. There's a video showing the Ascent has the best heater control of most portables, which means quite a lot.
Still indecided, I'll buy a vape in a couple of weeks so there's some time to think about it.
If there are some other good options please share them here.

Cheers

Hey K,
Comparing Air and Ascent:

- air is more expensive (EDIT: was going by memory, actually they are about at the same price!)
- ascent has a cooler more precise temp dial
- air has user replaceable batteries
- ascent is "more portable" without the separate straw.

Both will get you high and taste nice :)
Haven't tried the air (just the solo) so i can't compare taste beetween the 2... In fact i'm really curious about the air myself!
Ascent is really effective and has a very short learning curve! ;)
Cheers!

Last edited:
Also,
Air and Ascent work in a different way.
With Ascent you have a ceramic oven at the bottom of the unit (like most portables).
With Air you load the base of the straw, so it is almost convection. "Almost", because with small dimensions of portables you always have some conduction IMO...

Why have you discarded the Alfa? You prefer a glass airpath?
I must admit Alfa mouthpiece can be on the warm side, at first, then you learn how to pull...

Another pro of the air is that you can use it with a water piece, they sell adapters and water tools made for it...
I sometimes use the alfa with a bubbler and it's great! You lose a lil flavor but the vapor is super fresh...

Last edited:

Smokerman

Veteran
I bought an Herbal Aire quite a few years ago. I find it IMO works quite well for me although it certainly isn't portable considering it has a separate air pump. You don't have to grind your weed first I just put a little nug in. The bag is kinda slow to fill but I like it.

I bought an Herbal Aire quite a few years ago. I find it IMO works quite well for me although it certainly isn't portable considering it has a separate air pump. You don't have to grind your weed first I just put a little nug in. The bag is kinda slow to fill but I like it.
tried once at a friend's, it's true great taste, and i think it's the only vape that works with unground material...
solo's great! but i really didn't like its resistance... don't you find it too resistant? they should've solve this with upgraded straws but never had the chance to try one...

theJointedOne

Veteran
solo's great! but i really didn't like its resistance... don't you find it too resistant? they should've solve this with upgraded straws but never had the chance to try one...

I've been soloing for years, at first I thought the resistance was bunk, but now I appreciate it. The reason I get such fat hits I think is bc of the resistance

I've been soloing for years, at first I thought the resistance was bunk, but now I appreciate it. The reason I get such fat hits I think is bc of the resistance
i really appreciate the solo as well... but with other devices you can get same sized clouds without the resistance and i like it much more... :) have you tried one of the improved straws? I have vaped a solo many times but i've never owned one... i'm sure i could get used to the res. in fact when i bought the alfa i was thinking about the solo too (got cheaper after air was released ). i bought the alfa just for it's really stealthy and small, and i'm too goofy to carry solo and separate straw around :D
What do you think guys about haze v3???
never tried, neither the previous versions... vapecritic says real good things about the haze.

Last edited:

Koondense

Veteran
The more i search the more i think i'll get an Alfa.
Seemingly it offers vapor quality comparable to the Air and Ascent but it's still cheaper.
I found some differences in reviews of Ascent and Summit, the Vapecritic and others seem to disagree on vapor quality.
I would love to get the Air but it's over budget unless i find a used one for a bargain.

How reliable are reviews on these units in your opinion, can a noob rely on them?

The more i search the more i think i'll get an Alfa.
Seemingly it offers vapor quality comparable to the Air and Ascent but it's still cheaper.
I found some differences in reviews of Ascent and Summit, the Vapecritic and others seem to disagree on vapor quality.
I would love to get the Air but it's over budget unless i find a used one for a bargain.

How reliable are reviews on these units in your opinion, can a noob rely on them?
i think vapecritic is reliable, but sometimes i just disagree with him :)
i can ensure you, ascent's vapor is top notch!

he calls the Alfa "the Sipper", which i find really appropriate: the Alfa is a small conduction vaporizer, it produces vapor in contact with a hot surface (the oven with the pin in the middle which gives extra efficiency) and you inhale that vapor. from the oven it fills the airpath with vapor, having a short airpath you will have a limited amount of vapor. this means it would be useless to do those 5-8 seconds draw: this vape works great with small draws, sips if you will...
but this doesn't mean you can't get some thick fat tasty clouds out of it! (if you saw vapecritic use it you know).
also it works best if you wait at least 3-5 seconds beetween draws (vapor has to fill the airpath again...).

ascent and alfa are the portables i used the most so i think i can compare them well...
with ascent you can take longer draws. it's conduction but has a much longer airpath and it's more powerful...
ascent has more advanced temp settings... you can select the exact temp with a digital display and heating up time is very fast, faster than alfa (alfa takes 1 min circa to go to mid, ascent maybe even half than that). Alfa has only 3 temps settings plus 2 auto settings (which i never use, i use it mostly on mid, occasionally on low or hi).
Ascent has a cooler vapor with the longer straw. the glass airpath feels really nice, produces a real tasty vapor. neverthless i prefer Alfa's vapor, to me it tastes a little better.
Alfa's mouthpiece can be hot on your lips but not so much if you do short draws (as i said it's almost pointless to do longer ones with the alfa); plus you can easily attach a longer moutpiece/straw (people use MFLB's glass stem apparently it fits perfectly...).
both can be "disguised" as e-cig, but Alfa is definetely stealthier: smaller and less smelly. Alfa uses less material, but ascent can work with different amounts where alfa works best with a full oven not packed too tight...
both have built-in batteries and they last about the same, but alfa takes longer to re-charge...

I would be in doubt as well beetween these 2! :)

Last edited:

kin_dawg

i think vapecritic is reliable, but sometimes i just disagree with him :)
i can ensure you, ascent's vapor is top notch!

he calls the Alfa "the Sipper", which i find really appropriate: the Alfa is a small conduction vaporizer, it produces vapor in contact with a hot surface (the oven with the pin in the middle which gives extra efficiency) and you inhale that vapor. from the oven it fills the airpath with vapor, having a short airpath you will have a limited amount of vapor. this means it would be useless to do those 5-8 seconds draw: this vape works great with small draws, sips if you will...
but this doesn't mean you can't get some thick fat tasty clouds out of it! (if you saw vapecritic use it you know).
also it works best if you wait at least 3-5 seconds beetween draws (vapor has to fill the airpath again...).

ascent and alfa are the portables i used the most so i think i can compare them well...
with ascent you can take longer draws. it's conduction but has a much longer airpath and it's more powerful...
ascent has more advanced temp settings... you can select the exact temp with a digital display and heating up time is very fast, faster than alfa (alfa takes 1 min circa to go to mid, ascent maybe even half than that). Alfa has only 3 temps settings plus 2 auto settings (which i never use, i use it mostly on mid, occasionally on low or hi).
Ascent has a cooler vapor with the longer straw. the glass airpath feels really nice, produces a real tasty vapor. neverthless i prefer Alfa's vapor, to me it tastes a little better.
Alfa's mouthpiece can be hot on your lips but not so much if you do short draws (as i said it's almost pointless to do longer ones with the alfa); plus you can easily attach a longer moutpiece/straw (people use MFLB's glass stem apparently it fits perfectly...).
both can be "disguised" as e-cig, but Alfa is definetely stealthier: smaller and less smelly. Alfa uses less material, but ascent can work with different amounts where alfa works best with a full oven not packed too tight...
both have built-in batteries and they last about the same, but alfa takes longer to re-charge...

I would be in doubt as well beetween these 2! :)

I think the breaker for me is not being able to replace the batteries. Have you ever tried ziggy?

For that reason I probably have to stay with the arizer. I don't see any oil attachment for the arizer however. The small glass stem that comes with the Air seems tolerable.

Thanks for info ziggy very helpful indeed much thanks.
Any input on Da Buddah, it's the non portable I'm most interested in, seems good value.