What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

As The World's collapsing, jane is to thrive...

Dudesome

Veteran
Yeah, I can see how you got those two confused...must have been the way I typed it.

HB.

not sure if gold reserve act or bretton woods are anyhow relevent. bretton woods also ended 71 with the gold standard.

Sorry for my mistake. Just overglanced.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hyperinflation isn't necessarily "doomsday." It f'ing sucks of course, but many countries have hyperinflated their currencies and debt away. Some other monetary regime will replace the old one and life will go on.

It did after the Wiemar Republic collapse albeit into dictatorship (the usual historical precedent). Europe is dealing with their systemic sovereign insolvency issue. America is just learning about theirs. All these problems will continue to get worse as the economy deteriorates. So what to do? We're going to print some money and give it to some Wall Street criminals and it's really going to work out well in the end.

Precious metals have been around for thousands of years and retained value over certain paper through many "dooms day" scenarios. Fiat comes and goes. It's natural.

Dudesome

Veteran
And yes, bretton woods is the reason why this crisis is going to be so massive. It's going to be just the US. It's the whole world.

Dudesome

Veteran
Hyperinflation isn't necessarily "doomsday." It f'ing sucks of course, but many countries have hyperinflated their currencies and debt away. Some other monetary regime will replace the old one and life will go on.

It did after the Wiemar Republic collapse albeit into dictatorship (the usual historical precedent). Europe is dealing with their systemic sovereign insolvency issue. America is just learning about theirs. All these problems will continue to get worse as the economy deteriorates. So what to do? We're going to print some money and give it to some Wall Street criminals and it's really going to work out well in the end.

Precious metals have been around for thousands of years and retained value over certain paper through many "dooms day" scenarios. Fiat comes and goes. It's natural.

the more i read what you write, the more I understand how we think alike. Although the criminals part I don't share :) It's also natural. Predator vs the Prey :)
Criminals exist where laws work...

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
I think Ron Paul is the greatest republican outthere. Sad, but they will not let him get to matter too much. That was exactly why JFK got shot. They thought they could make him their puppet. They were wrong.

Have you seen your hero Ron Paul's portfolio? He's been shorting the US for a long time now with various investment vehicles. What kind of leader hopes to profit from the demise of their home country?

Don't get me wrong, I like some of what he has to say. Cutting spending is a MUST, but his portfolio shows that he is betting against the United States. Why would I vote for a guy like that?

HB.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Dudesome

Veteran
Have you seen your hero Ron Paul's portfolio? He's been shorting the US for a long time now with various investment vehicles. What kind of leader hopes to profit from the demise of their home country?

Don't get me wrong, I like some of what he has to say. Cutting spending is a MUST, but his portfolio shows that he is betting against the United States. Why would I vote for a guy like that?

HB.

Ok not going to try to change your values. This is a matter of moral values.
Just a question

Why not exploit something that is exploitable?

Either you exploit it or it exploits you...

Or should he starve and give his portfolio to the hardworking ones? Is that what youre saying?

where does the idea of profiting on something being bad come from?

Him being wealthy by his own brain makes him an even cooler person. Unlike some puppets that get put into their chairs by men in shadow.
If my vote mattered anything I would vote for him.

The sad thing is: votes matter nada... absolute nada...

but again it's just a point of view.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran

It did after the Wiemar Republic collapse albeit into dictatorship (the usual historical precedent). Europe is dealing with their systemic sovereign insolvency issue. America is just learning about theirs.

Gramps, I've read your comments in the past and I'm just curious what you think about the future of the EURO as a currency.

I think it's headed for the crapper, but that's just me.

HB.

Dudesome

Veteran
First you say....

Then you say...

You need to make up your mind, then take a position.

HB.

I meant that it was not relevent to the date of golden standard being off in 1971 and not in 1914-19 like you said.

Dude lets stop waving our dicks right here :)

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Ok not going to try to change your values. This is a matter of moral values.
Just a question

Why not exploit something that is exploitable?

Either you exploit it or it exploits you...

Or should he starve and give his portfolio to the hardworking ones? Is that what youre saying?

where does the idea of profiting on something being bad come from?

Him being wealthy by his own brain makes him an even cooler person. Unlike some puppets that get put into their chairs by men in shadow.
If my vote mattered anything I would vote for him.

The sad thing is: votes matter nada... absolute nada...

but again it's just a point of view.

Well, we disagree then. I see Ron Paul's investments as a conflict of interest. Of course, it's not currently illegal for congressmen to have conflicts of interest...not yet at least.

HB.

Dudesome

Veteran
Gramps, I've read your comments in the past and I'm just curious what you think about the future of the EURO as a currency.

I think it's headed for the crapper, but that's just me.

HB.

Im not Gramps, but tell you that: euro is in an even worse shape. To understand the trends of currencies you will want to compare them to CHF.
And it's not a forecast. Just a rational thinking.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Im not Gramps, but tell you that: euro is in an even worse shape. To understand the trends of currencies you will want to compare them to CHF.
And it's not a forecast. Just a rational thinking.

Following trends in the FOREX market is a great way to lose money.

HB.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
I meant that it was not relevent to the date of golden standard being off in 1971 and not in 1914-19 like you said.

Dude lets stop waving our dicks right here :)

Those dates I gave you in my other post where points in which the "Gold Standard" was either temporarily removed or revised, eventually being degraded to the point of being pretty much non-existent. You seem to think that the US was on a straight Gold Standard up until 1971 and that was NOT the case.

HB.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
HB, you should read about those two topics you mentioned.

Both were the result of the US defaulting but not wanting to cop to it. In '71 they were broke and had no choice but to print their way out. Couldn't do that with a gold standard so that had to go. It's been CTRL+P ever since.

Fractional reserve banking with fiat currency = doomed to fail. This is by design, it's just that certain individuals (politicians) thought they had until at least 2040-2050 to kick the can down the road. 2008 changed all that and sped up the hamster wheel. The blowback from what's occuring now, which many think is no big deal at all, will be immense and when it comes it'll be much too late to ask how it happened or who's responsible. They'll be on their private island watching it all on Hi-Def.

The haters in this thread should chill out and do some homework before copping attitudes so quickly.

Dudesome

Veteran
Those dates I gave you in my other post where points in which the "Gold Standard" was either temporarily removed or revised, eventually being degraded to the point of being pretty much non-existent. You seem to think that the US was on a straight Gold Standard up until 1971 and that was NOT the case.

HB.

I am sorry I have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. Either you're a genious outbox thinker with some sort of unknown theory of your own or advocating someone's unknown theory... lets hope it's the first one and hear your deliberation :)
take no offence, but a third option is that you're just trolling around :p

so explain how else did US backup it's currency between 1945 and 71?

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
The US has neared default status many times over it's history. The Gold Standard wasn't the answer then and it isn't the answer now.

From 1775 until the current times, the US has almost gone over their debt limit MANY times (1775, 1779, 1790, 1862, 1934, etc, etc).

FWIW, I don't really appreciate being called "a hater" as it's pointless and does nothing to further the discussion. If you don't like what I have to say, I'm sure you can come up with a better way to get your point across aside from trying to belittle me personally.

HB.

Dudesome

Veteran
The US has neared default status many times over it's history. The Gold Standard wasn't the answer then and it isn't the answer now.

From 1775 until the current times, the US has almost gone over their debt limit MANY times (1775, 1779, 1790, 1862, 1934, etc, etc).

FWIW, I don't really appreciate being called "a hater" as it's pointless and does nothing to further the discussion. If you don't like what I have to say, I'm sure you can come up with a better way to get your point across aside from trying to belittle me personally.

HB.

Dear HB, don't take it personally.
I just don't see any explanations in your weird statements. All you are saying is this and that and not answering any direct questions.

If you would take some time to go more indepth on your statements - it would be a much more constructive conversation.

Obviously you have either made some mistakes in dates and now are just trying to get you way out with "read this and that" and spilling some dates, or you indeed do have some very interesting ideas and are just lazy to explain them :) I just can't decide which. I honestly hope it's the second, otherwise I am just wasting a lot of time :p
Again take no offence and rather understand my view on your posts.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Who's saying the gold standard is the answer? I didn't, so unless you were talking to someone else I don't get the point? If you think that means using gold as a store of value isn't important then I would disagree.

Those dates from 1775 are insignificant to what's happening now. They do not relate. Sure, the debt ceiling has been raised, which explains why what's going on now is just bullshit kabuki theater.

I wasn't referring to you as a hater. When I was talking to you, I referenced you directly as HB. If I wanted to belittle you, I assure you 'hater' would be the least of it.

Dudesome

Veteran
Here is an interesting chart of value of us dollar
Value_of_US_dollar.gif