What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advantages of a SEALED room...

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Anytime... You don't need to stay out, opening the room up a lot will deplete co2, but your breathing will replace it, if you are spending time in there (as you have discovered). Co2 becomes toxic over 5000ppm, if you are maintaining levels at say 1500ppm then there is no safety risk as long as all equipment is functioning properly!

chomsky

Anytime... You don't need to stay out, opening the room up a lot will deplete co2, but your breathing will replace it, if you are spending time in there (as you have discovered). Co2 becomes toxic over 5000ppm, if you are maintaining levels at say 1500ppm then there is no safety risk as long as all equipment is functioning properly!

Cool I assume it's all working properly, anything I should pay attention to with regards to symptoms breathing etc??? I'm not usually in my room more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time.

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Ya dude your worrying to much. Ive been exposed high co2 levels for a long time and other then being ugly Im fine. :)

PS I was asking what you guys do. If Im running a stretcher I cut back on my CO2 to 1000 to 1200 and keep the humidity below 60% for the first 14-18 days before I bump it up. If I have a heavy indi I run hard a good 1500 and at least 70%RH the whole time.

If I need a fast heavy veg. I turn up to 1500 and bump up humidity to 85-90 and everything explodes. If Im not in a fast veg. stage I cut back on both RH and Co2....

zeet

Veteran
But then you're dealing with heat and buying tanks natural gas right?

The amount of heat generated is negligible, really. If you have the cooling power to run your room properly then a co2 gen. is nothing. It only comes on for a minute here and there. You don't and cant buy tanks of natural gas...natural gas is plumbed in from utilties (like what you heat your home with or I use propane which is readily available at most gas stations for around $20 for a exchangeable 20# tank. A 20# tank lasts me about a month and sometimes more. There is no way you can get a month supply of bottled co2 for $20... not to mention the hassle of having to go to specialty gas suppliers to get the stuff.

Its an all around win with a generator.

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
^^^^ what he said... my generator has a gyro switch in it if the generator was to fall or be off kilter it won't light. There is no way to blow anything up with one. Has anyone ever heard of anyone blow there place up using one? I never have a there are allot of people out there using gens...

The only maintenance is you have to take a piece of sand paper and clean the burning tips and the little ignitor so it will light properly. I would say once per year. It works just like a pilot light on a stove if it does get hot it will not stay lite. So the burner tip has to be clean and be in proper position to make sure it heats it properly on that first ignition or other wise poof it goes out and it will continue to do this until the fail switch shuts it down and you have to unplug it and plug it back in to reset it. It is very very simple. But just incase somebody didn't know that and their unit will not stay lite for some reason and you have gas in the system.

Hope that helps someone.

chomsky

The amount of heat generated is negligible, really. If you have the cooling power to run your room properly then a co2 gen. is nothing. It only comes on for a minute here and there. You don't and cant buy tanks of natural gas...natural gas is plumbed in from utilties (like what you heat your home with or I use propane which is readily available at most gas stations for around $20 for a exchangeable 20# tank. A 20# tank lasts me about a month and sometimes more. There is no way you can get a month supply of bottled co2 for $20... not to mention the hassle of having to go to specialty gas suppliers to get the stuff.

Yes you are right about natural gas, I meant propane. I am using tanks now but luckily a welders supply store is a mile from my house and 20 lb. tank refills there are $14.

mowood3479

Veteran
^^^^ what he said... my generator has a gyro switch in it if the generator was to fall or be off kilter it won't light. There is no way to blow anything up with one. Has anyone ever heard of anyone blow there place up using one? I never have a there are allot of people out there using gens...

The only maintenance is you have to take a piece of sand paper and clean the burning tips and the little ignitor so it will light properly. I would say once per year. It works just like a pilot light on a stove if it does get hot it will not stay lite. So the burner tip has to be clean and be in proper position to make sure it heats it properly on that first ignition or other wise poof it goes out and it will continue to do this until the fail switch shuts it down and you have to unplug it and plug it back in to reset it. It is very very simple. But just incase somebody didn't know that and their unit will not stay lite for some reason and you have gas in the system.

Hope that helps someone.

If I recall correctly bobblehead had a thread on a fire he had in his room... I think he said the hose from co2generator to the tank melted and ignited the room..
I'm gonna go see if I can find that again to be sure tho..
(Edit)
Ya, I couldn't find his explanation for the fire so my remembering may be off base....

Last edited:

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Wow thats crazy. wonder how that might have happened. I would be interested to see how when the gen's Ive had the hose is almost imposable to get anywhere near the flame. Sounds like foul play lol...

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran

I guess it all depends on the size of the room but in my 12x13x8 I get 4-6 weeks from a #20 tank of co2. Depends how often I leave the door open to the veg room while I work. My Bluetooth speaker for my tunes is in the veg room (no added co2) so I usually leave the open while I'm in the flower room, thus 4 weeks. When I used to close the door I could go 6 weeks or longer but my room is as sealed as you can get pretty much.

As far as cost goes I can exchange the tank for $15 or have it filled for $19

Andyo

Veteran
propane

propane

I used it 7 years mainly because 24 kw was too much co2 local BOC supplier raised eye brows.

Personaley the excess water vapour annoyed me .

prior to that id run smaller grows with it in winter months for co2 and night slightly vented heating .
Found good yields though,only thing was i tested room for carbon monoxide showed 12 ppm at times maybe the burner a bit yellow flame at low level.

Its a consideration here even though average outside temps night and day are 30 c/ 86 f good insulation needed, mini splits are better at dealing with humidity free pure water.

The paint ball place doesnt blink an eye, an he was ok when i said i want these bottles at least 3/4 full of liqiuid ,i noticed over pressure 2800 lb ,new bottles were tested at 3000lb so fukit A

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yes I have been warned about dirty gas before, inferior quality gas can have impurities in it!

To some humidity generated by burning propane is an advantage.

Andyo

Veteran
On point C02 pressures liquid or gas

On point C02 pressures liquid or gas

To clarify somthing diss info maybe ,I was in wales 24kw grow just up and running I thought time to get C02 i got a boc (british oxygen company)account
Ordered 2 full size 84 kg bottles which they didnt have in stock lots liquid co2 with Dip tubes for the cows milk industry cant use them because the dip tube brings it out as liquid .

later i turned up to exchange empty c02 gas bottle ,pricks hadnt got it somebody ordered spare C02 dip
fukin useless
Then one of the BOC guys said youd get a lot more gas from a bottle of dip if you can use it somehow.
I justsaid itll freeze my gauges and left.

So wtf was he saying that BOC only filled big iron bottles with gas to a pressure were no liquid forming which forms at 2400 lbs
I cant remember the gauge pressure but this falls in line the short time they lasted same prior to that with british beer industry. ?

Any thoughts or info on this ?.A

Andyo

Veteran
Yes I have been warned about dirty gas before, inferior quality gas can have impurities in it!

To some humidity generated by burning propane is an advantage.

Yes seedling stage and young plant its usefull but when they bigger and right on point powering into flower mass humidity , 6 rooms dehums going 3.4 amps 220v each piped to water rez mad! filling my 2000 litre storage containers. the extra humidity wasnt needed. 4 mol of water per 1 mol of propane burnt,i believe

I guess thats what it takes with 24k lights .A

Last edited:

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
I used it 7 years mainly because 24 kw was too much co2 local BOC supplier raised eye brows.

Personaley the excess water vapour annoyed me .

prior to that id run smaller grows with it in winter months for co2 and night slightly vented heating .
Found good yields though,only thing was i tested room for carbon monoxide showed 12 ppm at times maybe the burner a bit yellow flame at low level.

Its a consideration here even though average outside temps night and day are 30 c/ 86 f good insulation needed, mini splits are better at dealing with humidity free pure water.

The paint ball place doesnt blink an eye, an he was ok when i said i want these bottles at least 3/4 full of liqiuid ,i noticed over pressure 2800 lb ,new bottles were tested at 3000lb so fukit A

And again...
Allot of times Ive found if the flame is burning any sort of orange/yellow the tips needed cleaning. You should be able to turn them off fairly easy with out even moving the unit. The carbon builds on them and causes them to not burn clean. The one tip by the ignitor has to be turned to hit it with a direct flame or the unit will not stay lite.

Last edited:

guanito

lung room

lung room

I had both fans about 4ft apart 3 ft high in and out of 2 12/12 rooms

That's low isn't it?
Trying to ventilate the stalks?

i was also thinking of attaching scrubbers to these two fans - that would eat up a lot of real estate so placed.
Well - one scrubber per room might not be so bad.

Tks!

Andyo

Veteran
not leggy

not leggy

That's low isn't it?
Trying to ventilate the stalks?

i was also thinking of attaching scrubbers to these two fans - that would eat up a lot of real estate so placed.
Well - one scrubber per room might not be so bad.

Tks!

That particular grow i used sylvania special products group 3k colour metal halides mass red with lots blue and highest level UVA UVB ive found in lights result way less stretch no staking needed
so the spread of air directly through foliage.
I still use extra blue but in form of an 8k colour temp 400w metal halide lamp vertical between 2 x 1000 w hps
Or the 200 w version vertical between 2 600w hps minimum staking needed less stretch.A

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts