What's new

Advantages of a SEALED room...

DemonTrich

Veteran
plants utilize co2 when lights on and o2 lights out. we breath in o2 and exhale co2 daily. how would co2 be bad for the environment?

id be more worried about global warming from big factories and pollution from automobiles vs co2 effects.

Granger2

Veteran
Bottled CO2 is captured CO2 from refining. This would otherwise be spewed into the atmosphere. When you take the captured CO2 and give it to your plants, they use it and give off O2. Win win. -granger

chomsky

Will it be detrimental to my plants if I run out of Co2 and have to go fill a tank for a day or so? Or is it better to have two tanks for just that reason?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Will it be detrimental to my plants if I run out of Co2 and have to go fill a tank for a day or so? Or is it better to have two tanks for just that reason?
Yes it will be detrimental because when running co2 you raise temps and humidity and increase water and nutes, to take advantage of the extra co2. If you don't do this the co2 you have purchased is wasted. So if the co2 runs out the plants will suddenly be in a highly stressful environment, you definitely want to avoid that!

chomsky

Yes it will be detrimental because when running co2 you raise temps and humidity and increase water and nutes, to take advantage of the extra co2. If you don't do this the co2 you have purchased is wasted. So if the co2 runs out the plants will suddenly be in a highly stressful environment, you definitely want to avoid that!

Thats kind of what I thought, Thanks Moses... Also, should I only be running Co2 weeek 3 of veg through say week 6 or 7 of flower? Or can I just run it the entire grow? I plan on running 1000 / 1100 ppm 82-84 degrees at 60%RH veg 45%RH during flower... Good?

Andyo

Veteran
humidity in flower with C02

humidity in flower with C02

Thats kind of what I thought, Thanks Moses... Also, should I only be running Co2 weeek 3 of veg through say week 6 or 7 of flower? Or can I just run it the entire grow? I plan on running 1000 / 1100 ppm 82-84 degrees at 60%RH veg 45%RH during flower... Good?

I know most guys without C02 like low humidity during flower ,but with C02 Plants need more humidity ,
Temperature v humidity v co2 humidity increases with Co2 due to metabolic rate
So you need find a reasonable compromise
actual airflow through the plants is crucial Ive flowered for years at 60/65% humidity with out mold because airflow through the plants is optimum.
i run 80 f 1000 ppm 60/65% humidity flower
75% in veg.A

Last edited:

moses wellfleet

Veteran

It would depend on your strain. If your are growing something that stretches like crazy and the height of your grow space is already limited then you want to avoid the crazy co2 growth until after the third week. But it could be that you want to cut down on veg time before the flip then stretch caused by co2 in the first three weeks would be to your advantage!

chomsky

I know most guys without C02 like low humidity during flower ,but with C02 Plants need more humidity ,
Temperature v humidity v co2 humidity increases with Co2 due to metabolic rate
So you need find a reasonable compromise
actual airflow through the plants is crucial Ive flowered for years at 60/65% humidity with out mold because airflow through the plants is optimum.
i run 80 f 1000 ppm 60/65% humidity flower
75% in veg.A

Nice thanks for that info, makes sense. I agree too on the airflow. Co2 or not I have air on top up from bottom and around sides always. Never had a mold problem (knock on wood).

chomsky

It would depend on your strain. If your are growing something that stretches like crazy and the height of your grow space is already limited then you want to avoid the crazy co2 growth until after the third week. But it could be that you want to cut down on veg time before the flip then stretch caused by co2 in the first three weeks would be to your advantage!

DNA Lemon Skunk, it does stretch but not too crazy and Im scrogging this run. You still think I should stop Co2 after 3rd week?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I don't think there are too many who run co2 in veg, I tried it once and the growth was out of control.

If you running Sour Bubble for example that is notoriously slow to veg then maybe. But anything that has above average vigor shouldn't need it.

chomsky

I don't think there are too many who run co2 in veg, I tried it once and the growth was out of control.

If you running Sour Bubble for example that is notoriously slow to veg then maybe. But anything that has above average vigor shouldn't need it.
Awesome, thanks for that, YOU just saved me a shitload of Co2

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Don't make the mistake I made of trying too many new ideas all at once. Maybe get the SCROG dialed first before you use co2 enrichment.

chomsky

Don't make the mistake I made of trying too many new ideas all at once. Maybe get the SCROG dialed first before you use co2 enrichment.

Yea Prolly good advice. Ill be pulling everything through the screen during veg. So Ill start with 12/12 and Co2 at the same time...

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran

Generally yes but, really depends how sealed your room is. For instance, my main room I sealed as tight as i could, wrapping the whole room in orca film on the walls and panda film on the ceiling. Taped over every seam and over every staple used to hang the films. When this room runs out of it's tank the ppm drops to around 30 ppm. This is very detrimental.

Another room I just half assed it when it came to sealing and even without supplemental co2 will stay around 300 ppm, right around atmospheric conditions. Not so detrimental. Of course the downside to this is I blow through tanks way faster in the not so sealed room.

Never a bad idea to have a spare tank on the ready because trust me, your tank will run out at 5:00 pm on friday and you'll be waiting till Monday morning to get it filled lol.

chomsky

Never a bad idea to have a spare tank on the ready because trust me, your tank will run out at 5:00 pm on friday and you'll be waiting till Monday morning to get it filled lol.

Ha no doubt about that.... Thanks... I'd also say my room is half ass sealed compared to your description of a very sealed room. However, I have it moderately tight. Thanks

DemonTrich

Veteran
I have a back up 20# tank just for this reason. you never want to run out of co2 when you start using it. its like running out of water mid way thru your watering day.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've already got the first sentence for your diary.

"On the way back from the store, a bag of caulking and spray foam in hand, I...."