Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > The perfect drip irrigation pump

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Female Seeds for Fine Cannabis Genetics
The perfect drip irrigation pump Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 PM #1
Chronicbs

Chronicbs will become famous soon enoughChronicbs will become famous soon enoughChronicbs will become famous soon enough
The perfect drip irrigation pump

I'm overjoyed as I finally found a cheap, low wattage and effective water pump with good enough head flow / psi pressure for drippers! No more ineffective, expensive and high wattage fountain or sump pumps that only hold 5psi pressure if that!

Harbor freight just started selling a 1/10 HP transfer pump. I was looking at paying $80 plus for the exact same pump design from Amazon or homedepot as it's an off the shelf chinese pump that everyone sells but harbor freight has not only the cheapest, but the nicest looking one fit, finish and spec wise for way less at only $55 a pump.

The pump is only 2 amps but holds over 20psi of pressure and is rated at 360gph. You could easily run 100 .5 gph drippers on just one of these little 2a pumps. Harbor freight just started carrying these beauties too!

https://m.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden/pumps/110-hp-transfer-pump-63317.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170109_192851.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	392015
Chronicbs is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 PM #2
mango420

mango420 has a spectacular aura aboutmango420 has a spectacular aura aboutmango420 has a spectacular aura aboutmango420 has a spectacular aura aboutmango420 has a spectacular aura about
Just a regular mag drive or Eco plus pump will work, don't need any fancy pumps for drippers. But nice pump!
mango420 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:56 PM #3
Old Toker

Old Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really nice
Looking to connect drippers to 10 pots. Is this pump overklll?
Old Toker is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 AM #4
Chronicbs

Chronicbs will become famous soon enoughChronicbs will become famous soon enoughChronicbs will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango420 View Post
Just a regular mag drive or Eco plus pump will work, don't need any fancy pumps for drippers. But nice pump!
Barely in my experience.. A mag drive 9.5 has only 13' head flow compared to 41' with this pump. 13' of head flow translates to roughly 6 psi and is not ideal at all for drippers. I always had tons of trouble trying to run drippers at around 5 psi personally using all sorts of different pumps. Now they run perfectly at 20 psi for half the cost of those other pumps that would barely run them.

The low power usage of the mag drives is nice though and I've read some drippers run better on 5 psi than others. I've seen inline ones rated at 5 psi but most recommended at least 15.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:21 AM #5
Chronicbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Toker View Post
Looking to connect drippers to 10 pots. Is this pump overklll?
Not at all. It's cost effective, efficient and ideal psi wise.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:09 AM #6
sheik_yerbouti

sheik_yerbouti will become famous soon enoughsheik_yerbouti will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicbs View Post
Where did you find the psi rating? I couldn't find it.

I'm wondering if it would work for the set up I'm going for. My emitters only start working at 20psi though.
sheik_yerbouti is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 01:40 AM #7
Chronicbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheik_yerbouti View Post
Where did you find the psi rating? I couldn't find it.

I'm wondering if it would work for the set up I'm going for. My emitters only start working at 20psi though.
You can tell the psi from the head foot rating by multiplying the head foot x .433

Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 AM #8
Chronicbs

Quote:
You can tell the psi from the head foot rating by multiplying the head foot x .433
Just noticed that doesn't come out to 20psi. I got the 20 psi figure from the PDF owners manual of the Little giant version of this exact same pump (these r Chinese OEM) and it said the psi was 20.X. The Little giant ones r $120.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:20 AM #9
Old Toker

Old Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really niceOld Toker is just really nice
I just want to use it with drip rings. Put a timer on the pump and let it water (DTW) a couple of times a day. In the mean time....it seems as though it would be helpful with a hose for hand-watering.

Does an "external" pump help to keep the rez cooler....or for my limited needs does it not make a difference?
Quote:
Old Toker is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 02:36 AM #10
Chronicbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Toker View Post
Does an "external" pump help to keep the rez cooler....or for my limited needs does it not make a difference?
I don't think it matters, especially considering u don't run drippers longer than 5 or 10 minutes max at a time anyways, internal or external it won't be on enough to make a difference rez temp wise

This pump shouldnt be run longer than 15 minutes at a time fyi. Here's a link to a more detailed PDF on the pump from a different reseller (Little giant) of this Chinese OEM pump. *PDF warning*

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...2jF4fCV8EQKfXg

Also the pump comes with a complete rebuild kit. 2 brushes 1 impeller and a gasket.

3 members found this post helpful.