What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The perfect drip irrigation pump

Aspenou812

Veteran
Mag submersible pumps are what you recommend and use? Thanks. Any particular models/brands for the rec grower with less than say 10 plants?

BTW - I am on page 20 something of your thread. End of December:tiphat:

Find you a 500 gph Danner Mag Drive Pondmaster you'll be set for about a year.... Danner has been at the top of the heap in magdrive pumps for years...... and Years It's what i use.

Catatafish

Veteran
Glad I don't need a pump to switch over my blumats to drip. Just need the solenoid and timer. Got plenty of pressure from having my 30 gal rez on the second floor, 10 feet above the plant containers.

Lol stoned, thats one way to do it. Id worry about a rez on second floor but 30 probably isnt too bad.

I know someone that flooded the downstairs already in a similar setup is probably why i worry about it.

Catatafish

Veteran
Sounds like you know what you're talking about. How about some DTW pump recommendations? Different pumps for different jobs? :tiphat:

Depends on what your trying to do :)

First thing you got to figure out is do you want to use pressure compensating devices or just a regular open-ended tubing pico style manifold.

If you dont want to go pressure based than pretty much any old mag style pump is probably your cheapest route. Usually with mag's id say buy bigger than you need, you can choke the flow off back at the rez to slow the flow if you want. You cant make a smaller pump flow faster. If you go danner, the "pondmaster" aspen recommended will be a better "model\line" because they come with a nice long power cord. Like 2x - 3x the length of the standard danner pump. I forget the break down of danner's pumps but essentially pondmaster = really long power cords, the "hydro" line = venturi valve included. They make the same pump in three different lines and each line has like one feature different, the cord length, the venturi, etc....

If you go pressurized you will need to figure out what devices and such you want to use so you know what type\specs of pump to get. Price range varies greatly here depending on specs/power.....$60 - $400+ for pump.

C

chris harris

Keep in mind there a different pump types to do different jobs. Brand name really has no effect on a the "job". Little giant and others make a couple types etc (mag, diaphgram, jet ...etc). So just buying a brand "x" pump isnt going to make all things happen. You got to buy brand "x" 's "diaphragm" pump if thats what you need. Or brand Y's jet pump etc..

Try using a mag pump to drive pc emitters and let me know how that works out for ya.

By the specs its seems the pump is just shy of being able to run octa-bubblers which require 20psi. But would work great for other types of emitters.

At least with a brand name pump, you know it is better built, and is going to last. Little Giant, and I'm sure other quality pumps, use stainless steel shafts adding to reliability. Removable impellers for maintenance as well, and as you mentioned, longer cords.
I used Little Giant 300gph mag pump, for over 10 years, no probs. First on flood and drain, then drip, to +50 plants, open ended though.
Why won't mag pump run pc emitters? Is it because of not enough pressure? Could you not then scale down the diameter of your feed line. Thinking you wouldn't need a ton of volume to run pc emitters ( depends on how many you are running, I guess). By reducing your feed line, say from 1/2", to 3/8, wouldn't you be raising up the pressure in the line enabling the emmitters to work properly? Of course, the volume drops due to the smaller diameter, but volume isn't needed, unless you are running enough emitters that the reduced volume wouldn't be able to supply, causing too much of a pressure drop.
From my example: If my pump puts out 300 GPH, and I'm feeding 50 pc emitters 1 GPH, my pump is easily able to supply that, so therefore would be able to build enough backpressure enabling those emitters to work properly. Or, am I missing something?

Old Toker

Depends on what your trying to do :)

First thing you got to figure out is do you want to use pressure compensating devices or just a regular open-ended tubing pico style manifold..
Thank you!:tiphat:
My needs are basic and I don't anticipate that they will increase. Less that 10 plants and open ended tubing. 1/2" manifold with 1/4" feed lines. Sounds like a mag pump is the way to go. Little Giant or Danner....both seem to be reputable mfgs. Stainless steel shafts, removable impellers and longer cords.

Are there any mag models of Little Giant or Danner pumps that I should avoid? How about submersible vs non.....any preference? Is it possible to get "relatively" even watering with a mag pump and open ended tubing?

Thanks everyone!:tiphat:

gr866

Veteran
Thank you!:tiphat:
My needs are basic and I don't anticipate that they will increase. Less that 10 plants and open ended tubing. 1/2" manifold with 1/4" feed lines. Sounds like a mag pump is the way to go. Little Giant or Danner....both seem to be reputable mfgs. Stainless steel shafts, removable impellers and longer cords.

Are there any mag models of Little Giant or Danner pumps that I should avoid? How about submersible vs non.....any preference? Is it possible to get "relatively" even watering with a mag pump and open ended tubing?

Thanks everyone!:tiphat:

Hey Toke,

Thanks for asking all the questions I wanted to ask, setting up drip now, going to check into the Black Hole dripper for top feed, looks good.
http://blackholeshydro.com/home/4670670

Where are you in your grow?

GR

Aspenou812

Veteran
Just have a close look at my setup all my plants get even water within about an ounce each, feeding to runoff so the ounce shore dosent matter..... Your feeds will be faster and more even with a larger pump. I read that you basicly need to double the size you think you need so I ended up getting the 500 gph and haven't looked back for a second

Old Toker

Hey Toke,

Thanks for asking all the questions I wanted to ask, setting up drip now, going to check into the Black Hole dripper for top feed, looks good.
http://blackholeshydro.com/home/4670670

Where are you in your grow?

GR
You are welcome Gr866! Always my pleasure to ask newbie questions about stuff I don't know/understand. Unfortunately most of my posts ARE newbie questions. I don't know enough, or have enough (any) experience to share....yet.

Right now I'm just trying to get my first indoor grow to harvest and curing. I am still vegging.....at day 29 since they popped out of the ground. Planning to up-pot to 2 gal fabric pots in the next 3-4 days. Still a couple of weeks away from flowering. Sure would be nice if I had at least the manifold and feeder lines run before then. Once those are in place I can focus on the reservoir side. I think once I decide on a pump the rest will come together. Was all set to get one of the Little Giants......but then this thread evolved.

I saw these Black Hole drippers on someone else's posts. Dansbuds I think. I don't remember reading anything negative about them. But then... there is lots of stuff I don't remember.

Where are you in this process?:tiphat:

Old Toker

Just have a close look at my setup...
I have read almost all of your thread and I readily admit that the "Girl's DEFINITELY got skills"! Unfortunately your well thought out and planned setup doesn't apply to my style. I'm just an old stoner growing in a cheap tent in my garage. I want something easy and hopefully not too expensive to help feed my girls multiple times daily. Flex 1/2" tubing for the manifold and 1/4 tubing to the pots. I don't think (not sure) that I need a system so powerful that it will water all my pots in under 10 seconds. Your setup is VERY nice! And in a couple of years after I get tired of fixing/replacing all the stuff I'm cutting corners on now.....and get some experience....I'll say to myself: "Self... why the hell didn't you just copy Aspenou812's setup years ago?" :)

Is it possible to run a basic simple system (without PVC manifold) and STILL get CLOSE to the same feed per pot? :tiphat:

Aspenou812

Veteran
I have read almost all of your thread and I readily admit that the "Girl's DEFINITELY got skills"! Unfortunately your well thought out and planned setup doesn't apply to my style. I'm just an old stoner growing in a cheap tent in my garage. I want something easy and hopefully not too expensive to help feed my girls multiple times daily. Flex 1/2" tubing for the manifold and 1/4 tubing to the pots. I don't think (not sure) that I need a system so powerful that it will water all my pots in under 10 seconds. Your setup is VERY nice! And in a couple of years after I get tired of fixing/replacing all the stuff I'm cutting corners on now.....and get some experience....I'll say to myself: "Self... why the hell didn't you just copy Aspenou812's setup years ago?" :)

Is it possible to run a basic simple system (without PVC manifold) and STILL get CLOSE to the same feed per pot? :tiphat:

Yes it is you can use to 1/2 inch tubing all the way through.... I would get a good pump for sure... The manifold will be made out of 1/2 plastic tubing... You should go to Lowe's and look at all the drip irragation stuff or Home Depot. Using the tubing you should be able to make a manifold and lines for under 30 dollars spend and get a good pump that will save your ass..... Get the 1/2 inch tubing, 4elbows, and the 1/4 inch tubing .... It's going to take some tinkering to get it right... i built my manifold and modified it then tested it for 3 weeks making adjustments till I got the flow right.. put all the ends in buckets and fire off the pump... Measure the water in the bucket some tubing valves will help slow and modify the flow so each end is putting out the same.

C

chris harris

Goggle " 1/4 drip irrigation shut off valve". You can put those on each line going to your pots, and adjust the flow that way. Amazon, Home Depot, etc, all should have them.

Old Toker

Thank you Aspenou812 and Chris!:tiphat:
With those suggestions I should be able to afford a good pump. Any recommendations for my needs? Just Little Giant or Danner....any particular models I should avoid or all of hem good? GPH?
Thanks again for the guidance!

Aspenou812

Veteran
a 300 to 500 gph will do you just fine, be prepared to tinker and test the system get it working good before you need it for plants..... try a 300 gph with PC drip emitters and you're done, i like open lines or halos but i did make drip rings out of 1/4 inch tubing using a T and drilling holes out so now they will water your whole pot on all sides like my Halos do....

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Lol stoned, thats one way to do it. Id worry about a rez on second floor but 30 probably isnt too bad.

I know someone that flooded the downstairs already in a similar setup is probably why i worry about it.

Each plant sits in a 3 gal container. Even if the entire 30 gal rez drained not a drop would hit the floors. Don't care much anyway, it's my house, all paid off many years ago. Shit happens I fix it, I built it:biggrin:

C

chris harris

You can buy water level sensors. I had a humidifier that was always overflowing, causing water everywhere. Installed a water sensor ( 9 volt battery), in a bucket underneath it. As soon as any water dripped into bucket, alarm goes off. Fix problem before water everywhere. Best $12 spent.

Buddler

Veteran
[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/member.php?u=191705" said:
Chronicbs[/URL] ;7797559]I'll write up my system with item buy lists and lots of pictures soon. It goes from Rez through hose to pump to hose to PVC pipe to 8 port screw in manifolds that take 1/4" tubing which goes to the little drippers which u just place in the pot.

Chronicbs sorry to derail your thread would love to see the rest of set up with buy list I like the screw in manifolds way better then drilling holes and tophats.:tiphat:Bud

Latest posts

Latest posts