What's new

800w Coco Closet- Hashberry, Sadhu, Speed Queen

damn bro, I had to catch up! lol, you are moving too fast for me!!! Great work, and it's no wonder why your plants look so good, you actually are doing some really tight work in there with all the PPM and PH measurements. Great job on keeping track of the run off measurements, very cool to see. Your plants are super frosty too, I have always loved the look of mandalas strains and you have really brought out the best in them!

Thanks caligreen. That's one beauty of this forum, you can always catch up on stuff, even years later. I'm only going as fast as these ladies are taking me :smile:. Yeah, the fun I'm having probably shows in the number of updates.

When I got beans, or any known genetics for the first time, I went with quantity over "quality", so I got more of the less expensive beans like Mandala. I didn't really know how to grow yet, so why waste my mistakes on expensive seeds? I'm really happy so far, but I'll be moving up to some fine clones from out your way in the future. This is great practice for my meeting with a SR71 Purple Kush like yours. I'm trying my best to make them look good.

Can I ask, how often do you flush, or do you? Are the nutrients your using chems or organics? How often are you watering? I hope my buds come out this big and dank now that I stepped up my pot size....

Since they went in flower I have been flushing once per week. During veg I used CNS17 grow chemical nutes and the first month of flower I was using the CNS17 bloom. Since Day 28 I've been using Pure Blend Pro Bloom soil formula, which I believe is 'mostly' organic, but whatever. With Cal Mag Plus and I was using Liquid Karma regularly until day 28 of flower.

I do water every day and the 4gal buckets get about 1gal of water. I have a clone in a 1gal pot and it gets about 1/3 of a gallon each day I'd say. That Sadhu clone in the 1gal could probably be watered twice per day, but it is doing fine and hasn't dried out yet. It is neglected unfortunately because it is different.

I vegged these for 3-1/2 months because I chopped them up pretty good, so they are a bit bigger than I planned, but I'm not complaining a bit. You probably got 3 done in the 6 months this one will take me. Size isn't everything, you know.

I wanted to mention, it's odd that you say the plants stretched more under the MH, cuz I believe MH is better for vegging because of the fact that it actually shortens the length of nodes, so less stretching...This is what I thought I knew from reading at least, maybe I mixed it up?? I thought that MH would keep my plants pretty bushy so I started them off in flower under the MH as well as you did. So far they grew a lot and didn't stretch much, but it was purple kush and this strain doesn't stretch much anyway.

Anyways, cool reading up on these last few pages, I'll try to stick around more closely! Wonderful job bro, PEACE!

Yes, yes, caligreen, you are right about the MH and stretch. I just explained that wrong. MH is awesome for veg and keeps the stretch down and node spacing tight, you are right.

The plants on the right side, which are taller now, were under the MH when I switched them to 12/12. I was calling the period of time from the switch to 12/12 until they stopped getting taller, "the stretch". The plants under the MH just grew bigger and more full and taller over those 3 weeks, with just as good node spacing. I was getting better growth with MH and I called that stretch, which it really isn't, thanks for clearing that up.

EDIT-I see what you mean about the SQ, I've had it happen to me before and I think you have the right idea about flushing for a bit. Personally, I use chems, so once weekly I use fresh filtered water and leach my girls....I poor so much in my pots that it drains a shitload out, but I have small pots and they can easily dry out in a day since I am using coco. What kind of water are you using? Must be fresh since the PPM's are low at the start right? Well good luck, keep us informed about her!

I think I have learned from measuring the run-off that I can kind of see when the nutes are building up in the coco. During veg I didn't flush every week because the run-off seemed fine, usually about 100-200 ppm lower than what I put in. Like you, they had a lot of run-off each time, which I think is good for them. And in flower I'm just doing it once a week automatically, I think you have good advice there to avoid problems. I mainly just used the big buckets because I had a ton of them and I had the space. Kitty litter buckets with flat bottoms are rocking the Hashberry and Sadhu so far.

I'm using tap water and I am very lucky it is around 40 ppm fresh out of the faucet.

Catch up anytime and ask away, I love talking about growing this stuff so I can do it even better. Then I'll be ready for killer strains like you've got going.

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Cool, had to come in and check your show out. You have convinced me for now to stick w/ soil LOL! Seems like lots more watering w/ coco. I am kinda lazy, but maybe someday. I have some Hashberry beans just waiting to pop. So I will stay tuned. Love the log and updates, reminds me of another log I go to alot! LOL

jls

wow those look great! nice grow.

I'll be starting some hashberry in a few weeks so ill be watching this grow to see how it comes out! looks great :joint:

Yeah, KUSH, I'm not really much of a poster boy for the endorsement of coco am I, lol? I will go back to soil eventually. I probably just needed the right nutes, genes, and some more patience.

Thanks jls. The Hashberry buds are the queens of the closet so far with their size and frostiness, I am impressed so far with her, although she is not such a good one for SCROG. Good luck getting yours going and thanks again.

I

IE2KS_KUSH

^^
Aw hey, I meant no disrespect at all on your coco grow or coco skillz. Hell kudos to you for jumping into it and trying something new! I was just saying that I am so damn lazy, sometimes even my twice a week watering schedule is bothersome at times, can't imagine doing it daily! I can't wait to see how yours turn out, I am sure they will be the cat's meow! Just as important also, you are providing great info on adventures in coco w/ strains that I run and nutes, just in case I do loose my mind someday and take the plunge.
The main thing that holds me back is like I said, the watering. Currently I lug in 20 gallons at a time as it is, my tap sucks greasy balls! About 400 ppm at about 8.3! Yeah not good, I don't even bother using it w/ my soil grow. Maybe someday I will get a really good RO system that will get me more than 5 gallons at a time, and be somewhere near my grow room too. Until then, I will dream and watch yours!

^^
Aw hey, I meant no disrespect at all on your coco grow or coco skillz. Hell kudos to you for jumping into it and trying something new! I was just saying that I am so damn lazy, sometimes even my twice a week watering schedule is bothersome at times, can't imagine doing it daily! I can't wait to see how yours turn out, I am sure they will be the cat's meow! Just as important also, you are providing great info on adventures in coco w/ strains that I run and nutes, just in case I do loose my mind someday and take the plunge.
The main thing that holds me back is like I said, the watering. Currently I lug in 20 gallons at a time as it is, my tap sucks greasy balls! About 400 ppm at about 8.3! Yeah not good, I don't even bother using it w/ my soil grow. Maybe someday I will get a really good RO system that will get me more than 5 gallons at a time, and be somewhere near my grow room too. Until then, I will dream and watch yours!

No worries, none was taken. You just helped me see it better from outside eyes that maybe this watering everyday crap isn't appealing to many people. I'm enjoying it now because I'm finally getting good results, but.... you just gave me a chuckle thinking about it.

Lugging water like that would make me re-think how I do things. You've got some bad tap water. We all have different circumstances and environments and resources and whatnot, so grow however you like is my thing. I love that there are so many ways to get good results. I've got a better chance at figuring out one of them.

I

IE2KS_KUSH

I love that there are so many ways to get good results. I've got a better chance at figuring out one of them.

That gave me a chuckle sir! That is exaclty the way I look at it too! :D I keep telling myself, just keep at, odds are I am bound to get it right one of these times! In the mean time I will take what I can get!:laughing:

hey Jed just checkin in, the ladies look damn good. hashberry looks amazing, everything is glistening nice! you should check my girls out :)

You know KUSH, come to think of it, my original idea behind trying coco was that I could a automate it, like hydro. Wow, have I had some mission creep on this one. But, in any event, I am learning enough to automate several of those kitty buckets with a large enough reservoir. I know how much water they need and the nute levels that work for the variables I'm using, so hook up a tub, an air stone, a pump on a timer for once a day at the right interval, and I'm good to go. That is assuming the reservoir doesn't present a new twist to the amount of water and nutes, which is a dumb assumption, but it gives me a rough draft. 20 gallons would do the 3 plants I have now in buckets for 6 days, and then do a flush the 7th and start over.

Hehehehe, Sadhu trim at 33 days in a vaporizer can make a person go off topic and start brainstorming out loud.

Thanks bootlegskate. Ah yes, I see you have those plants turned around and heading the right way. This place is great to help you figure out stuff you encounter, good to see ICMag making a difference yet again. So when are you going to put those ladies into flowering? I don't suggest 3-1/2 months of veg, lol.

OK now for the boring stuff only some random person 9 months from now with a similar set-up and myself will ever think is useful.

We left off at the end of week 5 with a good flush with Hydroguard.

I didn't exactly water the Speed Queen on Day 36. I had about 1/3 of a gallon left over from the others and used it to wet down the top layer, which was dry. She was not dried out after one day in need of water, so now I know that.

Here's what the others got today, which was a "full" feeding the day after a flush.

Day 36 - 2ml/gal Cal/Mag, 2ml/gal Liquid Karma, 6ml/gal of PBPbs. 710 ppm, and 5.8 ph.

Hashberry run-off. 420 ppm, and 6.2 ph.
Sadhu run-off. 380 ppm, and 6.3 ph.

Day 37 - 1ml/gal Cal/Mag, 1ml/gal LK, 5ml/gal PBPbs. 430 ppm, and 5.8 ph.

Speed Queen run-off. 330 ppm, and 5.8 ph.
Hashberry run-off. 280 ppm, and 6.2 ph.
Sadhu run-off. 280 ppm, and 6.2 ph.

The Speed Queen run-off ppm was too high for me, so today I gave her 1 gallon of "flush" water (ph'ed with Hydroguard) and then another 1/2 gallon on top of that of the nutrient mix for all the plants.

Day 38 - 1ml/gal Cal/Mag, 1ml/gal LK, 5ml/gal PBPbs. 430 ppm, and 5.9 ph.

Speed Queen run-off. 240 ppm, and 6.0 ph. (When the nutes were run.)
Hashberry run-off. 280 ppm, and 6.2 ph.
Sadhu run-off. 260 ppm, and 6.2 ph.

And now give me a break and I'll be back with snap shots from today in a bit.

Day 38 - 12/12 Mandala

Day 38 - 12/12 Mandala

First we have some attempts at canopy shots. Sorry folks, that is about the best I can do.

picture.php

This is the left side under the MH. Speed Queen and Sadhu clone.

This is the right side under the HPS. Hashberry and Sadhu.

Day 38 - 12/12 Hashberry

picture.php

Day 38 - 12/12 Sadhu

picture.php

Day 38 - 12/12 Speed Queen

picture.php

Thank you Mandala for fantastic genetics that get frosty!

And if this thread inspires you to buy Mandala beans, tell them BobbleheadJed sent you. (They won't have a clue, but maybe they will figure it out and send me some freebies for pimping their products. A guy can dream. Not that I expect a thing, they already have a satisfied customer.)

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Hot Damn! Those are looking taaaaasty! I have read some old school growers swear by running a MH in flower. You will have to let me know if there is any noticeable difference. I am gonna try this sometime down the road, probably not now, but in a future grow. (Already throwing in enough variables this round).
I am also looking hard at CMH. Nice work!!! Day 38, man, hope you are a better man than I. I always end up taking too many tasters once they start looking this good lol! Got my volcano w/in arms reach of my ladies right now as a matter of fact. Maybe on second thought I should move that thing, may help me abstain! Obstain? Spelling? You know what I mean.

Dödsknark

Hell yeah!

This is such a bittersweet show man... Your ladies are looking so damn tasty that I can't stop myself from looking at them all the time. BUT... I still have a couple of MONTHS til I can even start my hashberrybeans...

Holy frostyness Batman!

Hot Damn! Those are looking taaaaasty! I have read some old school growers swear by running a MH in flower. You will have to let me know if there is any noticeable difference. I am gonna try this sometime down the road, probably not now, but in a future grow. (Already throwing in enough variables this round).
I am also looking hard at CMH. Nice work!!! Day 38, man, hope you are a better man than I. I always end up taking too many tasters once they start looking this good lol! Got my volcano w/in arms reach of my ladies right now as a matter of fact. Maybe on second thought I should move that thing, may help me abstain! Obstain? Spelling? You know what I mean.

Is there a GRIN smiley? Thanks man. If you notice the top - big Hashberry pic you will see the right side has a yellow tint and the left side a white/blue tint. There are two Hashberry buds (the biggest queens of all) straddling the MH and HPS in the middle front and back, so I'm hoping the fuller spectrum pushes her closer to her potential.

I won't really have much of a side by side comparison though. I have the Sadhu clone mostly under the MH and the Sadhu from seed mostly under the HPS, but there are other variables at play. Not scientific at all but I'll probably speculate some type of impact if I sense it.

dodsknark, if only the world were a different place, I would certainly share. If it helps any, I have had these seeds almost 2 years now and am now just getting to see what they can do. Thank you and I'm sorry this is a bit like torture. Perhaps its also reassuring that you made a good choice with your selection and a motivation of good things to come for you.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
man those look superb... I don't know how growers can bare the excitement when their plants start looking like this :smile:

Kusherman

What's going on Mr. bobble? Your plants are looking so good I can taste them through the computer man. I wanted to know, are those two 400 watters in there? And also I plan on growing in coco also, so what happened that made your last grow in coco not so successful. I just want to do it right the first time I use it if possble, and thanks in advance.

HindukushMaster

Eyo bobblehead that whole setup is lookin a++, Are you doing straight up coco? Or a coco/soil blend, Buds are lookin deeeelish. wish ya luck

hkm

HindukushMaster, its workin for me alright, thanks. Just Botanicare coco from a compressed bale, with about 25% perlite mixed in. 4 gallon buckets. I've been thinking about a coco/soil blend since my last run in coco. The growth was amazing, but I just couldn't finish them off like I could in soil. We'll see.

Kusherman, thank you and welcome. Licking the leaves is always tempting for me for some reason.

Yup, a 400w MH on the left and 400w HPS on the right. I wish I could pinpoint exactly what went wrong last time. It was multiple screw ups on my part I think. You'll find your own style Kusherman, but maybe these mistakes may help ya.

A bad choice in buckets to grow in. I think the Speed Queen this run isn't as happy as the Hashberry and Sadhu are in their buckets. The SQ yellow bucket has ridges in the bottom that indent about 3/4 of an inch in. I think they don't drain as well as having a completely flat bottom. That may contribute to root problems or root rot.

I think I overfertilized and underwatered last time too. I watered every other day with higher nute levels. This time I'm watering every day with much lower nute levels.

But stop reading this and go read this informative article someone was kind enough to find and put on ICMag. Not a how to or complete info, but its useful.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=116785

Basically it says don't flush with large amounts of plain water, because that breaks the buffer in the coco. Instead feed at lower nute levels consistently, and if you need to flush use a a weaker nute level in it instead of plain water. Don't read leaf tip burn automatically as over fertilizing, it is probably just the coco releasing some of its potassium as the coco breaks down. And water when your pot loses about 50% of its weight since you watered last.

I still need to read it again and absorb more of it.

Jamie, you are about to find out for yourself very soon. Take good pictures for when the lights are off, is my suggestion. And do like dodsnark, live vicariously a bit through others fun.

OK boring grow log stuff time.

Day 39 - 1ml/gal Cal/Mag, 1ml/gal LK, 5ml/gal PBPbs. 430 ppm, and 5.9 ph.

Speed Queen run-off. 320 ppm, and 5.9 ph.
Hashberry run-off. 310 ppm, and 6.1 ph.
Sadhu run-off. 290 ppm, and 6.1 ph.

Day 40 - 1ml/gal Cal/Mag, 1ml/gal LK, 5ml/gal PBPbs. 430 ppm, and 5.9 ph.

Speed Queen run-off. 340 ppm, and 5.7 ph.
Hashberry run-off. 340 ppm, and 5.9 ph.
Sadhu run-off. 310 ppm, and 5.9 ph.

Day 41 - 5ml/gal PBPbs. 350 ppm, and 5.9 ph.

Speed Queen run-off. 320 ppm, and 5.7 ph.
Hashberry run-off. 320 ppm, and 5.9 ph.
Sadhu run-off. 290 ppm, and 5.9 ph.

Day 42 - 5ml/gal PBPbs. 350 ppm, and 6.0 ph.

Speed Queen run-off. 340 ppm, and 5.6 ph.
Hashberry run-off. 220 ppm, and 5.8 ph.
Sadhu run-off. 260 ppm, and 5.9 ph.

Darnit, now it looks like I need 3 different nute mixtures for each plant. Hashberry needs more, SQ maybe less, and Sadhu a little more. And then which mix to give the clone? And what is up with the ph drop now? I'll think about that stuff tomorrow. Time to upload some pics.

Day 42 - 12/12 Mandala

Day 42 - 12/12 Mandala

Day 42 - 12/12 End of week 6

Right side under HPS - Hashberry, Sadhu

Left side under MH - Speed Queen, Sadhu clone

Day 42 - 12/12 Sadhu

picture.php

picture.php

Day 42 - 12/12 Speed Queen

picture.php

Day 42 - 12/12 Hashberry

picture.php

:smoke:

Day 45 - 12/12 Mandala Run

Day 45 - 12/12 Mandala Run

This is getting really, really fun now. Its just amazing how much they change in just a couple weeks. The smells they are putting off now when I tuck leaves is unreal to me, and my fingers are always gooey. I'm in the home stretch and just trying to keep them from major problems before flush and they'll be fine I hope.

Day 43 - Speed Queen 5ml/gal PBPbs. 350 ppm, at 6.0 ph.
Hashberry & Sadhu 1ml/gal CalMag, 1ml/gal LK, 5.5ml/gal PBPbs. 500ppm at 6.0 ph

Speed Queen run-off. 410 ppm, and 5.6 ph.
Hashberry run-off. 280 ppm, and 5.7 ph.
Sadhu run-off. 330 ppm, and 5.8 ph.

Day 44 - Speed Queen 5ml/gal PBPbs. 350 ppm, at 6.0 ph.
Hashberry & Sadhu 7.5ml/gal PBPbs. 500ppm at 6.0 ph

Speed Queen run-off. 320 ppm, and 5.6 ph.
Hashberry run-off. 370 ppm, and 5.7 ph.
Sadhu run-off. 340 ppm, and 5.7 ph.

Day 45 - 7.5ml/gal PBPbs. 500ppm at 6.0 ph

Speed Queen run-off. 380 ppm, and 5.6 ph.
Hashberry run-off. 340 ppm, and 5.7 ph.
Sadhu run-off. 290 ppm, and 5.7 ph.

Day 45 - 12/12 Mandala Canopy

Left under MH - Speed Queen (Left), Sadhu Clone

Right under HPS - Hashberry(center), Sadhu(right)

Day 45 - 12/12 Hashberry

picture.php

picture.php

Day 45 - 12/12 Sadhu

picture.php

Day 45 - 12/12 Speed Queen

picture.php