What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know you live in the country if......

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Nah, I am in the swampy flats where we drive careful at night, and ole horny-boy slides for now. I saw him with 2 does the other day, but had to use binocs cause they were back by my woods. I ought to rake up a bunch of acorns, and set them in front of a game cam. Maybe he'll get it later in the season, after he has knocked up the ladies.

I am a venison jerky making fool, with my own secret recipe, and no venison.

Back to our regularly scheduled gun talk... The deer will be scarce after today, cause I'ma going back there and sighting in some new pistols. Picked up another SIG 365, this time an XL with a holosun red-dot sight. The parts on these little jewels are modular and interchangeable, and I have several set-up different ways, all with ambidextrous safeties. Even with the longer slide of the XL, and holosun sight, this gem still fits perfectly in the coin pocket of my blue jeans for very comfortable concealed carry. I will have to learn that red dot before I carry with it. The manufacturing quality and tightness of these new 365s, compared to my old loose 226, is dramatic.

Pretty cool having a gun shop that I can just decide to get another gun cause I can, drive into town and pick out exactly what I wanted from stock, including practice and service ammo, get it bought, configured, and delivered, in a few hours. You Cali guys still able to do that?
I ran a gun/archery shop in the mid 70s. I have no idea where some of the "I gotta have this gun" are now but yes, when you want one, it's yours.. I remember a 20gage Red Label Ruger over and under... yes, it too was a little jewel.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I couldn't handle a gun. I'm a veteran and into guns but I couldn't trust myself with one. Something would happen. Could swing an automatic bb gun (they make them, they're $200) or fast air rifle. I'm big on gun safety and everything but I would kill myself or someone else accidentally. Envious of you guys getting to shoot all the time. A gun is a lot of responsibility.

'Boogieman'

I have been around guns all my life. To me it's just another tool in the tool box. When you carry one your mindset changes and you act very responsible with it. The last thing you will ever think about is hurting yourself or someone else. Even in tight situations the last thing you will think about is pulling a gun.

Drewsif

"You know you live in the country if"....
You own a 4x4 just so you can get down your own driveway and the street you live on...:biggrin:

My father would regularly blade the driveway after a rain, with his tractor that leaked more fuel than it used. He was convinced I was destroying his newfangled lawn tractor by mowing the ditches. So the ditches filled in, and the driveway became the ditch. He dealt with that mess til the day he died. Some people are just too stubborn, and turn their hole life into a rut.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I couldn't handle a gun. I'm a veteran and into guns but I couldn't trust myself with one. Something would happen. Could swing an automatic bb gun (they make them, they're $200) or fast air rifle. I'm big on gun safety and everything but I would kill myself or someone else accidentally. Envious of you guys getting to shoot all the time. A gun is a lot of responsibility.
stay home doober, grow weed... be happy..:bigeye:

G

Yeah. Breakfast in the Australian countryside.
Drinking our morning cuppa and past the window goes 6 very large Kangaroos. Went out to watch them and they were being chased by wild dogs. Of course being Humans we interfered and scared off the dogs. (Knew they were dogs and not dingos because they left claw marks. Dingos retract their claws when they run.)
And the fukn possums are still getting into our Mango tree. Seven beautiful fruit half eaten on the ground this morn. Oh well, life in the country ...

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
when we moved in 12 yrs ago we had undeveloped property on 3 sides with woods and undergrowth. over the last few yrs, those 3 properties sold and were/are being developed.
we regularly had coyotes and owls visit. rabbits and squirrels abundant. hawks, eagles, ospreys, crows, ravens, jays, ducks, & geese were sighted regularly.

one of the most rare of mammals that lived on the greenbelt around this property was a mountain beaver...

Mountain-beaver.jpg

Mountain beaver
The mountain beaver is a North American rodent. It is the only living member of its genus, Aplodontia, and family, Aplodontiidae. It should not be confused with true North American and Eurasian beavers, to which it is not closely related. Wikipedia
Scientific name: Aplodontia rufa
Family: Aplodontiidae
Higher classification: Aplodontia
Order: Rodent
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata

there were a pair living under some big firs, i almost ran over one with the lawn tractor, but since the development of those 3 properties both have died. one from a hawk or owl (we discovered its carcass, it had been eaten), the other from some kind of health issue (we found it in the yard having difficulty breathing).
it was heartbreaking to know that habitat destruction contributed to their demise.
it seems now that we no longer live in the 'country'...
still have big trees and brush, but now you can see neighboring houses and peoples, and traffic up and down the hill has increased as well as traffic noise.
the wife told me she heard the owls hooting a couple nights before Christmas and the gunshots in the valley from duck and goose hunters has awakened us every weekend.

we used to live in a f'n park.:dunno:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know you live in the country

You know you live in the country

If you feel like a fully accomplished and secure man if both the hayshed and woodshed are full this time of year...it is almost an indescribable feeling which one must experience to know.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
when we moved in 12 yrs ago we had undeveloped property on 3 sides with woods and undergrowth. over the last few yrs, those 3 properties sold and were/are being developed.
we regularly had coyotes and owls visit. rabbits and squirrels abundant. hawks, eagles, ospreys, crows, ravens, jays, ducks, & geese were sighted regularly.

one of the most rare of mammals that lived on the greenbelt around this property was a mountain beaver...

View Image
Mountain beaver
The mountain beaver is a North American rodent. It is the only living member of its genus, Aplodontia, and family, Aplodontiidae. It should not be confused with true North American and Eurasian beavers, to which it is not closely related. Wikipedia
Scientific name: Aplodontia rufa
Family: Aplodontiidae
Higher classification: Aplodontia
Order: Rodent
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata

there were a pair living under some big firs, i almost ran over one with the lawn tractor, but since the development of those 3 properties both have died. one from a hawk or owl (we discovered its carcass, it had been eaten), the other from some kind of health issue (we found it in the yard having difficulty breathing).
it was heartbreaking to know that habitat destruction contributed to their demise.
it seems now that we no longer live in the 'country'...
still have big trees and brush, but now you can see neighboring houses and peoples, and traffic up and down the hill has increased as well as traffic noise.
the wife told me she heard the owls hooting a couple nights before Christmas and the gunshots in the valley from duck and goose hunters has awakened us every weekend.

we used to live in a f'n park.:dunno:

We have the Endangered Species Act up here and it can halt any project. Big or small. It only takes ONE person to raise their hand and say "Uh... Environmental Assessment Please". And that includes endangered tree species (like butternut).

St. Phatty

i think it would be cool to have an emu.

But not enough to buy one !

+ most anywhere you can have an Emu, there are Mountain Lions.

So once you get an Emu, you have to protect it 24/7 etc.

360px-Emu_1_-_Tidbinbilla.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i think it would be cool to have an emu.

But not enough to buy one !

+ most anywhere you can have an Emu, there are Mountain Lions.

So once you get an Emu, you have to protect it 24/7 etc.

View Image

some folks around here keep them. they have been known to kill horses etc by kicking them/disemboweling them with the spurs on their feet...Google says "human fatalities are rare..." reassuring, huh?:biggrin:

h.h.

Veteran
I have been around guns all my life. To me it's just another tool in the tool box. When you carry one your mindset changes and you act very responsible with it. The last thing you will ever think about is hurting yourself or someone else. Even in tight situations the last thing you will think about is pulling a gun.

I’ve been around guns my whole life and never found a need for one. I don’t go through life scared. It’s not a tool, it’s a toy that kills.

h.h.

Veteran
some folks around here keep them. they have been known to kill horses etc by kicking them/disemboweling them with the spurs on their feet...Google says "human fatalities are rare..." reassuring, huh?:biggrin:

A friend gave me an emu. I used to help him with his ostriches. Carelessly kicked a couple times by an ostrich . It hurts a little. I guess it could kill a person if they stood there and took it.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’ve been around guns my whole life and never found a need for one. I don’t go through life scared. It’s not a tool, it’s a toy that kills.

After maturing I kept only a shotgun to put down injured farm animals and a 22 to shoot at rats and hunters.

St. Phatty

I have one rooster I like to wrestle with.

When I feed the animals he follows me around but sometimes he doesn't want food.

If I make a "grabby hand" in front of him, and then put my fist & forearm in front of his legs, he does his thing - 2 fast kicks with his legs with the little 3/4 inch long spurs.

When his spurs are 2 inches long, it will be a problem. He drew blood once.

Not sure how big the brains on emu's are, but most birds have about 200 million neurons. Not sure if that's the same as brain cells.

Vs. 2 Billion for cats and 88 billion for people.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Years ago buddies parents retired from usps a d bought land up in Wisconsin. Went in with like 10 people on an Ostrich egg... well like 4 years later were up there and they've flipped this egg share into 2 whole birds.
Being 15 were out there fucking around smoking a joint by the fence and the huge fucking bird flicks my hat off, in shock I dropped the blunt and he ate it right up.
I thought I'd killed their million dollar bird ha.
Turns out he just got stoned lol

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have one rooster I like to wrestle with.

When I feed the animals he follows me around but sometimes he doesn't want food.

If I make a "grabby hand" in front of him, and then put my fist & forearm in front of his legs, he does his thing - 2 fast kicks with his legs with the little 3/4 inch long spurs.

When his spurs are 2 inches long, it will be a problem. He drew blood once.

Not sure how big the brains on emu's are, but most birds have about 200 million neurons. Not sure if that's the same as brain cells.

Vs. 2 Billion for cats and 88 billion for people.

You should get one of these if you want to fight. lol

[iframe1]lBM7AI0yp78[/iframe1]

redlaser

Veteran
A neighbor about a mile away took in a couple peacock’s a couple years ago. One was the typical blue and one was all white. Way I found about them was the white one was walking around the fence line in the woods real fast at a distance, could not figure out what the f that thing was, looked like a mini Pope with the tall white hat running around.
Eventually they never returned to his place, didn’t like being re located apparently