What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know you live in the country if......

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
where aren't there coyotes in the lower 48?
very few places
but wherever there are gray wolves - no coyotes, or very few

I've seen a few articles about hybrids showing up in New England.
Where we live there are no coyote predators and the population has gone crazy.

igrowone

Veteran
I've seen a few articles about hybrids showing up in New England.
Where we live there are no coyote predators and the population has gone crazy.
interesting how it happened
400 years ago - wolves no coyotes
remove wolves and you have a job opening for a canid
the coyotes saw the job opening and arrived

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
A week after I was chased out of my grow, this bad boy was shot by a farmer down the road.
picture.php

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
where aren't there coyotes in the lower 48?
very few places
but wherever there are gray wolves - no coyotes, or very few

That coywolf Tyco showed has way taller ears than a wolf.

Wolves and coyotes are natural enemies. My old wolfdawg hated them, and used to fight them, and win. They aren't that big.

Coyotes are all over this area, not much can be done except spotlight them with an electronic call. They don't help the deer population any.

igrowone

Veteran
coyotes are tough to scale back
from what I read the females are able to control their fertility
when the population goes down, they have larger litters

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
That coywolf Tyco showed has way taller ears than a wolf.

Wolves and coyotes are natural enemies. My old wolfdawg hated them, and used to fight them, and win. They aren't that big.

Coyotes are all over this area, not much can be done except spotlight them with an electronic call. They don't help the deer population any.

I always wanted a wolfdog. My dad had one when he was a kid and he said they don't make good pets at all. If it picks something up, it's his forever and don't you dare pick it up.

I babysit a Boerboel every once in a while. 160 lbs of muscle. Bad bad bad to the bone. He's a breeder so he wants to kill every animal he sees.

St. Phatty

I went to the Rifle Range again today.

It's the only public gym that's open ! ! - if you set your targets at 300 yards.

I was suffering from a case of "my scope is shooting 4 inches to the left" at 300 yards, so I got that fixed.

A GREAT WAY TO GET YOUR Left Right adjusted right - use the steel discs at 400 yards if you can hit them.

The biggest disc is 8 inches. I can only hit that about 1/3 of the time.

So today I took another shot at the 400 yard disc - and it fell to the ground. Guess the cable was frayed, and my little 110 grain bullet was enough to finish it off.

So it was probably close to center.

Once your target is laying on the ground - it's time to go home ! :groupwave:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I drove past a shooting club yesterday and stopped to watch. One guy had, to my eyes, what looked like a ww2 machine gun. Ratatatat... awesome sound. Scary violent. Makes me realize I wouldn't have survived the war.

Respect to those who did.

St. Phatty

I drove past a shooting club yesterday and stopped to watch. One guy had, to my eyes, what looked like a ww2 machine gun. Ratatatat... awesome sound. Scary violent. Makes me realize I wouldn't have survived the war.

Respect to those who did.

Seems like most of the people who survived, did not survive with their hearing intact.

Handing out ear-plugs to the rank & file was not a priority among the managers or those who agitated for the war.

There were only about 5 people there when I was there. One of the guys had a 30 enfield. It made a bunch of smoke.

I had to ask, was it black powder or Cordite ?

just smokeless powder Nitrocellulose like most rifle shooters.

Betterhaff

Veteran
[FONT=&quot]Had a friend..when at the Zoo.. would explain what would be needed to take.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Many arguments ensued
[/FONT]

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have seen that buck deer in my backyard now twice today, despite the wind and cold, and the dawg yapping and chasing. I'd hate to bust the only deer around, but if he makes it too easy with the lever .44 rifle - maybe ya gotta weed out the stoopit ones. He is going across the road to where they will shoot him anyways, if he doesn't get hit on the road. 6-8 pt, more fun to watch than shoot, IMO.

I have seen that buck deer in my backyard now twice today, despite the wind and cold, and the dawg yapping and chasing. I'd hate to bust the only deer around, but if he makes it too easy with the lever .44 rifle - maybe ya gotta weed out the stoopit ones. He is going across the road to where they will shoot him anyways, if he doesn't get hit on the road. 6-8 pt, more fun to watch than shoot, IMO.

If you're an American it's almost impossible to take an immoral shot at a buck this time of year man. Particularly if you're in the mountains- any mountains. It's hard enough for older people to drive on ice, let alone deal with ice and deer.

If you can make use of the meat go for it and take a pic.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If you're an American it's almost impossible to take an immoral shot at a buck this time of year man. Particularly if you're in the mountains- any mountains. It's hard enough for older people to drive on ice, let alone deal with ice and deer.

If you can make use of the meat go for it and take a pic.

Nah, I am in the swampy flats where we drive careful at night, and ole horny-boy slides for now. I saw him with 2 does the other day, but had to use binocs cause they were back by my woods. I ought to rake up a bunch of acorns, and set them in front of a game cam. Maybe he'll get it later in the season, after he has knocked up the ladies.

I am a venison jerky making fool, with my own secret recipe, and no venison.

Back to our regularly scheduled gun talk... The deer will be scarce after today, cause I'ma going back there and sighting in some new pistols.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The little spots are a blast to watch. Back in spring I had 2 back there by the woods, that I would see when back there with the mower. They are like little dawgs. And coyote food.

'Boogieman'

Speaking of wildlife, I have been feeding a group of deer and a wild turkey. I don't hunt, I'm too impatient and I'm not the biggest fan of venison anyways. I'm worried about the turkey, it seems to be a loner, and we just recently found out that we have a coyote wolf hybrid pack running around. I have seen a few and they look like smaller versions of Siberian Huskies.

Attachments

• 20201101_092406.jpg
    20201101_092406.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201101_091646.jpg
    20201101_091646.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201109_175602.jpg
    20201109_175602.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201230_121345.jpg
    20201230_121345.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 9

redlaser

Veteran
Cool shots of the wildlife Boogie, I put alfalfa for the deer in a couple places. I’ve seen the single turkey as well and worry about their safety. Usually it’s a group of 15-20 coming thru but they scatter into the trees and separate if the dog chases them. Cool to see them drop down from trees in the morning after roost. They get on the roof sometimes and lean down and look into the windows which is funny and freaks the cat out.

Halfway funny line from a comedian, can’t recall his name. “guy comes on the T.V., says the deer population is getting too big, you know what you have to do, if you see one, you need to shoot it in the face.” “And what kind of damage are the deer doing? there just out there nibbling away at the grass, just a nibbling.”