What's new

y the fuck do ppl get so "hung-up" about dreadlocks????

NOKUY

Veteran
I wouldn't do it...

I'd get buzzed long before I stepped foot on that yard..hell no

maybe if I was in solitary..

I don't think there is a reason to bring any unnecessary attention to yourself in that hell hole

would there really be that much drama over a whity w/ dreads?

how do prisons deal w/ that anyway??

supermanlives

Veteran
cut your hair and start acting white again you aint a rasta. LOL do whatever you feel like i had a mohawk when younger for 6 months till i realized it was stupid. let me guess your a rapper too?

would there really be that much drama over a whity w/ dreads?

how do prisons deal w/ that anyway??

if you were bent on keeping them the prison probably wouldn't force you to cut them but

look at this way, its strictly divided by race like a zoo in there. the blacks may not hate you for having dreads but the white gangs might give you a hard time about it

a hard time could be anything from just jokes haha to physical jokes no haha

not saying you can't handle your own but I prefer to avoid that sort of confrontation

AGBeer

I think people have an issue with dreads firstly because dreads usually = long hair. For a man, society pretty much dictates that long hair on a man = 'not of the norm'. (I mean you have to be to buck what society dictates correct?) Throw in the fact that dreads (in appearance) = unkempt.

I think there might be also some residual racism of sorts as when people think of dreads, they associate with 'Bob Marley' and 'Rastafarian' (which broken down further = African)

Sorry bud, Im with you in your mentality (to a degree) but people looked at me WAY different when I shaved mine. It is what it is, and sometimes you have to find a different way to play the game.

C

CANNATOPIA

No Worries friend, some cats just don't understand, let go of the BS & free yourself.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
i have long ass dreadlocks and people couldn't be nicer to me, or less "hung-up" about them. you're probably just an asshole.

CARE giver

Sour Bubble Connoisseur
Veteran
There will always be stereotypes. There's no changing that. Just be you, and let them be idiots ;).

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I find hair absolutely useless.....I live in the tropics so if I had any it would just cause me to sweat more.....

.....I'm quite happy not to have to use shampoo, conditioners, and spend time messing about with it, looking in mirrors and all that vanity crap-o-la...

.....people use hair as a fashion accessory.....and all it does is get in the way, block sinks, and in the case of dreads usually smells aweful.......I really can't see any practical use for it....other than to show off trying to get the attention of others....'Hey look at my silly hair/hair-cut etc'.....lol...

.....some people spend more on their hair than they do feeding themselves....

intotheunknown

Veteran
i see it this way. ive had much experience studying people and why they do this... but basically most people judge you because there is something they see in themselves that they dont like. so its much easier to look at someone else and judge them to forget about their own issue. mask it if you will. if you pay attention closer you will see that most of the time its within close range of their own issue. (boiled down version)

knowing this makes it much easier to be judged by somebody. just be you. thats all you can do.

C

CANNATOPIA

I find hair absolutely useless.....I live in the tropics so if I had any it would just cause me to sweat more.....

.....I'm quite happy not to have to use shampoo, conditioners, and spend time messing about with it, looking in mirrors and all that vanity crap-o-la...

.....people use hair as a fashion accessory.....and all it does is get in the way, block sinks, and in the case of dreads usually smells aweful.......I really can't see any practical use for it....other than to show off trying to get the attention of others....'Hey look at my silly hair/hair-cut etc'.....lol...

.....some people spend more on their hair than they do feeding themselves....
:laughing::laughing:Nice GN lol .... Some people live in the Arctic & Hair = Insulation. hehehe. This could be the start of a very funny thread.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I don't have any dreads but I've got 9 months head & 7 months beard growth right now. shit gets in the way of sleeping by now but as winter is waning this insulation is close to coming off. we had a wickedly cold winter and the extra fur came in handy again.......

F

ForbiddenFruit

Long Hair Mis-understood

Long Hair Mis-understood

This is the knowledge most people have been missing about long hair.

Here's to enlightenment.

It is clear that in modern society most people cuts their her hair because they feel that to be the norm and no one questions this very wide-spread custom. However, read the following and find out the significance of hair of the human body, mind and spirit:

The history of hair goes back to the times of the Bible and beyond. The Bible talks of a man called Sampson who obtained supernatural powers through his long hair. His hair was later cut and consequently he lost his powers.

G.A. Gaskell writes,

‘Hair of the head is a symbol of faith,
intuition of truth, or the highest qualities of the mind.’

Function~

Most Sikhs regard hair as a gift from God. But what does this gift actually do for us? Well, the functions of hair can be divided into 5 sub categories. These include an ornamental function, physical function, psychological function, Sikh specific function and a spiritual function.

Ornamental~

Nature has decorated a man with a beard and a moustache to differentiate between a male and a female. A good example from the animal kingdom is a lion with its majestic mane.

Physical~

Just like the skin, the hair helps to synthesize vitamin D from sunlight. It also helps to supply the pituitary gland (located in the head) with phosphorous. Phosphorous is an element which is used in meditation by the aforesaid gland. The hair on our body regulates body temperature and our eye lashes, nostril hairs and ear hairs help to keep out fine dust particles.

Psychological~

This is by far, is one of the most important functions of hair. People cut their hair to look good for other people, and although everyone wants to look sexy and cool, a Sikh is encouraged to impress God and not bother so much about the opinions of everyone else. Keeping hair therefore encourages us to become less vain and more God orientated.

Spiritual~

Hair enhances the ability of a human being to experience God. This can be explained by understanding the workings of electromagnets. An electromagnet consists of an iron rod with a coil of wire wrapped around it. The strength of an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of coils. Now in a human being, there are nine visible inlets/outlets (2 nostrils, 2 ear holes, 1 mouth, 2 eyes, 2 below the waistline). And the 10th inlet is located in the head and is invisible. It is called the Dasam Dawar. This is where we experience the reality of God and we can consider this to be the iron rod. Hairs are like coils of wire which amplify spiritual energy at the 10th inlet. A greater quantity of head hair will lead to more coils in the (Joora) knot and therefore a higher concentration of spiritual energy. Of course, it is possible to experience God without any head hair like Buddhists. However anything that helps us to experience God more easily should be welcomed. Hair is essentially a spiritual technology that makes it easier to connect with God.

In the religious literature of the world there is much evidence which suggest that God has created humans with great interest. The earthly material used for this purpose was kept kneaded for two centuries. (It is just an assumption and has no relevance with modern calendar system) and then another hypothetical period of 280 years was spent on giving shape to this creation so that the humans thus created should look the most lovable in all respects. Everything was done with much enthusiasm and conscious efforts. The Jewish and Christian churches also contain evidence to this effect that God created man in His own image and put His own particle as soul within him. On the basis of all this, it can be easily presumed that God did not add anything, including hair, to human body which could be termed as superfluous. Thus, trimming the hair amounts not only declining the gift given by God but also disfiguring the shape given to man by Akal Purakh i.e. Lord God. In other words, it can also be taken to mean that by so doing man takes pleasure in finding faults in the blue print prepared by God and thus showing off himself as better qualified and more competent than the creator Lord. to sum up, this amount to endeavours equalling Him and even excelling Him by trying to improve upon His work. Ironically, the creation is getting zealous to override the Creator, thereby allowing ungratefulness to predominate. The only point of consolation in this regard is that this blunder of cutting and disowning hair has not been made by man since the times of Adam, but the same is in practice only since the last few centuries.

Harms of Trimming~

If the hair are not trimmed, their length, growth stops automatically after reaching a certain length. In this situation, hardly 0.5% of the protein that we take in with our daily diet, is spent on their upkeep. On the other hand, the trimmed hair consumes much more protein because this has to be spent on the re-growth of the hair. Had the hair stopped re-growing after having been trimmed once, there would have been no extra expense of protein. However, keeping in view the multidimensional usefulness of the hair for human body, Nature has created within the human body an interesting mechanism to help continuous growth of the hair. This mechanism continues being operational till one breaths one's last. Thus, this mechanism goes on spending more protein on the re-growth of the hair after a person shaves them off or trims them. Nature does this so as not to deny a person the varied benefits of hair. It seems modern man is busy in shaving off the hair under a sort of atheistic culture whereas God is ever involved in their growth. God is quite serious about the hair, whereas man is equally careless. Let us wait and watch the final outcome. Meanwhile, we can only say there is a sort of deadlock as under:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
.....one of the funniest things I ever saw was a white (wigga) rasta with his dreads stuck in a swimming pool pump.......it certainly brought him closer to god co's he nearly drowned, but was saved by an athiest with a large pair of scissors.....

^^ haha

teen_dreads.jpg